Christmas Subpoena

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Crap. I come to work on Christmas Eve and to add insult to injury my office faxes me a subpoena. Fortunately it not a suit, the DA called me as a witness for an assault trial but still. And the case is on Thursday at 0830. Who gets a subpoena with a three day lead and on Christmas Eve? So now I get to go spend my only day off for 2 weeks hanging around the court house waiting to see if the case goes or not. I shouldn’t complain. This is the first one this year. I did two in ’06. But still :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

I understand. I've been going through that (as a witness)...got subpoenaed twice this year, and that was the first time since 3 years ago when the incident occurred. Of course one of the days was even during finals week. So ya, definitely understand the inconvenience. So far didn't have to go in this year though (was told to just keep my phone available and myself available).

Now I see why everyone sees nothing and hears nothing. 3 years and still having to go in.

Members don't see this ad :)
What happens if you get subpoened 2 weeks before a trial and you booked a non-refundable flight, arranged hotel stay, etc. for a 2 week vacation during the trial?

I would be p-o'd if that happened and I had to cancel vacation!

From my experience, they are understandable and will try to just delay the court date.

Jeez, Merry Christmas to DocB!

that totally sucks. But I guess it could be worse.

As a physician :you are not required to do this pro bono ( ie free). I would bill the crap out of them to the tune of several hundred dollars an hour for waiting time, prep, document retrival, travel and actual court time. Also - let them know that you cant clear your schedule on such a short notice unless you are compensated. They may change their tune and find you are not needed

As a physician :you are not required to do this pro bono ( ie free). I would bill the crap out of them to the tune of several hundred dollars an hour for waiting time, prep, document retrival, travel and actual court time. Also - let them know that you cant clear your schedule on such a short notice unless you are compensated. They may change their tune and find you are not needed

I think you are able to bill if it is a civil case, but not if you are called for a criminal case.

mike

I have been through this countless times over the years - you absolutely can bill the courts even if it is a criminal case. Just because someone was your patient doesnt buy you as their free legal witness regardless of the circumstances. docB IM me - I will show you the ropes

I have been through this countless times over the years - you absolutely can bill the courts even if it is a criminal case. Just because someone was your patient doesnt buy you as their free legal witness regardless of the circumstances. docB IM me - I will show you the ropes
Our group council has advised us that we can't bill for factual witness questions in a criminal trial. For example, "Did you see the patient on such and such day?" and "Did the patient have a broken nose." they get for free. If they try to coax you into being their expert witness then you can tell them that you expect to be paid. For example, if they ask "Was that broken nose consistent with getting punched in the face?" then you're being their expert.

Our group council has advised us that we can't bill for factual witness questions in a criminal trial. For example, "Did you see the patient on such and such day?" and "Did the patient have a broken nose." they get for free. If they try to coax you into being their expert witness then you can tell them that you expect to be paid. For example, if they ask "Was that broken nose consistent with getting punched in the face?" then you're being their expert.

This is how our hospital approaches it. I don't know how you can exactly demand to be paid. The subpoena says that you are summoned by a judge and if you fail to appear, a warrant will be issued. Not a lot of negotiating power.

mike

Well my understanding is similar to mike and docb. It is no different than a taxicab driver having a subpeona submitted to testify about something. If you arent an expert witness then you are just a regular citizen and you cant bill for that.

What happens if you're on the stand testifying to the injuries a patient receives and the prosection asks you if this is consistent with XYZ injury? Do you simply state that you are not an expert witness, do you answer the question, or do you give them a vague answer such as "it's consistent with blunt force trauma?"

Members don't see this ad :)
What happens if you're on the stand testifying to the injuries a patient receives and the prosection asks you if this is consistent with XYZ injury? Do you simply state that you are not an expert witness, do you answer the question, or do you give them a vague answer such as "it's consistent with blunt force trauma?"
I have been told various things by docs who've been through this more than me. I view most of these opinions as just that. None of these people are lawyers so their input is probably just as valuable as having an attorney try to intubate you.

One guy said that if you start getting questions you feel are expert type questions you can ask the judge if you have to answer. He may say no and then the DA can either stop asking you questions, change the questions to factual questions or get a recess and set a price for your expert testimony. The last option is unlikely as they will probably either have their own experts they use and it's unlikely the can set up the payment logistics quickly. The danger is that if the judge says you have to then the lawyer may really lay on the expert type questions and you're stuck.

I have been told you can call the DA ahead of time and try to bargain about what kind of questions you will answer and for how much. Again they will likley just put you on and ask facts then toss you.

If you really want to play hardball you can say that the medical record should stand on its own without you and refuse to answer anything. If you go this route you really need to retain your own lawyer as you can very easily get in trouble for contempt. The judge doesn't care about you and especially doesn't care about you getting paid. He just wants to get the case overwith ASAP. If he thinks you are impeding that goal he'll get you.

So the case was continued and I didn't have to go in. That's means I may get another subpoena at some point here on the same case.

Everyone should note that I didn't find out about the continuance until the night before I was to appear. They have a recorded message you have to call that tells you if your case will go or not. This is a real problem. I had to make sure I had that day off. Luckily I did. If I didn't I would have had to change the shift which is difficult at best. Had I changed the shift, or dumped it with significant loss of income it would have all been for nothing since the case was continued. And I could still have to go through all this again for this same case.

hmmm, you can bill?

I could have used that piece of info. I was recently called in as a witness for a criminal case. It was kind of a BS case but I agreed. I showed up on time to the ADA's office and an hour and 20 minutes later (with most of it with me fuming) the ADA showed up. They had settled the case out of court and forgot to let me know.

he has one more case he wants me to testify in and maybe I will toss in the billing option to see what happends.. If I can figure outh ow to do that.

That's the biggest problem with out justice system, it's focused on punishing criminals rather than protecting the innocent. It's pretty clear from your situation that they are willing to force you far out of your way in order to punish a criminal, which is just creating even more injustice.

Anyway, I have it good because I'm pre-med and my brother is pre-law, so maybe I can convince him to specialize in this area...

I'm stuck in another subpoena mess. After the Christmas Subpoena case pled out I neever heard about it again. Then in the Fall of '08 I got a subpoena about a case from Spring of '08. I had to rearrange my schedule and then it got delayed. A few weeks ago it came back.

It was pretty weird. I got a call from the DDA's investigator tell me he was faxing the subpoena to my office. Ok. Then it never came. So thinking I was going to get in trouble if I didn't show and having no idea any of the detals I called the court. They assumed I was crazy as I was looking for info on a case where I didn't know the name of the DDA, the case #, the defendant or the victim. So they basically told me to get bent. I would have been in contempt but then the investigator called me yesterday to tell me the new date. Yes, this time I got all the info and wrote it down.

So now I have to have a phone conference with the DDA tomorrow (yes, on Sunday) and I have to try to swap a shift so I can be available to sit by the phone all day next week. Ug.:smack:

Last edited:
Bummer. Where I'm at now, if I get sued, I'm covered by the FTCA - the Federal Tort Claims Act, and I get some DOJ shyster to defend me, and the case is "John Smith vs. the United States of America".

Last job I had I found out on departure that we had an "occurrence" policy, so no tail coverage! Score!

Even better, though, haven't been served!

Also, as the thread is the "Christmas Subpoena", today, 21 November, before Thanksgiving, one of the radio stations in town started the exclusive Christmas songs deal today. Apparently, though, the afternoon of Christmas day, the trees come down and go out front. No waiting for New Year's or Twelfth Night.

So just to update, I had that phone conference with the DA this morning. I had scheduled it for today at 10a as I was not supposed to be working. We all know how that goes in EM so there I am answering questions about some 2 year old case while I'm running a code. Terrific. Case is set to go to trial next week. We'll see.

Reactions: 1 user
Final update for that one. I testified on Tuesday morning. Case is now over. That would be ~20 months after the incident. Ug.:rolleyes:

Once again proving that, even if you win the case, you've still lost.

Glad to hear it's over, though.

Take care,
Jeff

Ug.

Was thinking about this thread this morning... with a slew of deputies, photographers and detectives in the department for a case that is going to land another subpoena in my box as a witness for the prosecution, assuming our evidence will catch the bastard. Did get some good DNA. Yeah, I love telling victims that. "I've got good news and ooky news... we got DNA, but... we got DNA."

Most of these cases don't get to me like this one, as we sort of get used to the awful stuff. But this one just hit home, I guess. Merry Christmas.

I heard that if you are not personally handed a subpoena, then they can't make you go in?! I received a faxed subpoena 4 days before the criminal trial started (in which I'm supposed to be a witness, much like everyone else's situation)- then it was continued, but they still need me......
:(

I heard that if you are not personally handed a subpoena, then they can't make you go in?! I received a faxed subpoena 4 days before the criminal trial started (in which I'm supposed to be a witness, much like everyone else's situation)- then it was continued, but they still need me......
:(

If you play that game, they will find you and serve you. If they need to, the county sheriffs can get a court order for your schedule, and wait for you to show up for work, or even go to your residence. They CAN make you go in. To be really, really hard asses, if you actively try to avoid being served, someone could charge you with obstruction of justice once they do get you.

If you play that game, they will find you and serve you. If they need to, the county sheriffs can get a court order for your schedule, and wait for you to show up for work, or even go to your residence. They CAN make you go in. To be really, really hard asses, if you actively try to avoid being served, someone could charge you with obstruction of justice once they do get you.

Correct. However, they can't prove you ever got the fax, and I know this, because they have "faxed" me and I never got it. Another time they gave it to my program coordinator, who then didn't bother to put it in my mailbox until after the court date (you see, it was inside the envelope, and she didn't bother to open it."
My favorite crappy subpoena story was one time I was working, and one of the campus PD officers stopped and said "I have something for you, hang on." A few minutes later he came back with the summons. All it said was "State of North Carolina vs So and So" and listed "Dr. McNinja" to appear in a county 2 counties away. In 3 days. This was a Friday mind you. I had to google So and So to figure out who the victim was, then looked them up on the EMR. I hadn't taken care of them, but my wife, conveniently named Dr. McNinja as well, had. And since the DA's office was closed by then, and weren't open over the weekend, basically I had to wake up early and call to make sure I wouldn't get a bench warrant for my wife. Turns out he pled anyway, but still, it's annoying.
And yes, that's why you should be served in person.
(For the record, I was state's witness in all these, not a defense witness. Honest, I'm not a terrible doctor to get 3 subpoena's in residency.)

Crap. I come to work on Christmas Eve and to add insult to injury my office faxes me a subpoena. Fortunately it not a suit, the DA called me as a witness for an assault trial but still. And the case is on Thursday at 0830. Who gets a subpoena with a three day lead and on Christmas Eve? So now I get to go spend my only day off for 2 weeks hanging around the court house waiting to see if the case goes or not. I shouldn’t complain. This is the first one this year. I did two in ’06. But still :mad:

I had one of these the other day. They used it to get an expert witness for free. Didn't even get paid juror rate.

I got one a few weeks ago, with less than 36 hours notice. I was supposed to be working one of our single coverage remoter sites that day, so really had to scramble to get coverage. After we had arranged for 4 different people to pick up 1-2 hours each, that evening the case was delayed indefinitely. Love subpoenas!
However, it did lead my partner to tell me a lovely story from when he was a young SHO in England working as a casualty officer in a northern seaport town, approximately 45 years ago. He was expecting a subpoena from an assault he'd worked on, but had 2 weeks holidays booked and flights and hotels arranged for himself and his wife. He told all his nurses "When they come looking for me let me know and I'll climb out a window if I have to to avoid being served". He duly managed to dodge and got off on his holidays. When he returned the cops served him; he had to appear at some place in the neighbouring county, way out in the countryside. He said he sat outside the court all day. At 4pm the constable came out and said "That's alright doc, we don't need you after all". He figures they knew he'd avoided them and that was their revenge!
My process server showed up at my office on a day when my partner was there and threatened to go to all the emerg departments asking after me. He really freaked out my poor secretaries (who I think thought I was involved in the case, not a witness)(they really should have more faith in me!). In retrospect, we should have told him I was working up north and made him drive the 4 hour return trip up over the narrow windy snow covered road. Oh well, we'll keep that in reserve for next time.
Cheers,
M

Another subpoena issue:

Visit was summer of 2010. I initially got subpoenaed in winter 2010. It got delayed several times, with me having to switch shifts around every time. I testified in front of a grand jury last summer. The DA said that was so the defense would know how damning my testimony was and would put me on the record so they wouldn't need me again if it did go to trial. So last week, you guessed it, new subpoena. I have to switch out shifts again and lose another day off. And it's the same DA who promised (lawyers, ug) I wouldn't have to get subpoenaed again.

Ironically we're just about to the 2 year anniversary of the case. Speedy trial my ass. I'll let you guys know when this thing finally ends.

Another subpoena issue:

Visit was summer of 2010. I initially got subpoenaed in winter 2010. It got delayed several times, with me having to switch shifts around every time. I testified in front of a grand jury last summer. The DA said that was so the defense would know how damning my testimony was and would put me on the record so they wouldn't need me again if it did go to trial. So last week, you guessed it, new subpoena. I have to switch out shifts again and lose another day off. And it's the same DA who promised (lawyers, ug) I wouldn't have to get subpoenaed again.

Ironically we're just about to the 2 year anniversary of the case. Speedy trial my ass. I'll let you guys know when this thing finally ends.
Tips to not get a subpoena:

1. Never write who assaulted someone. Just note the mechanism of injury. (Assaulted by fist to face per patient.)

2. Don't get too detailed with sexual assault histories. Leave that to the police.

3. When you get a subpoena, always just read what's on the medical record. Never offer your opinion. You're not an expert witness for them so just state the facts. Nothing more, nothing less.

Do that a couple times and they'll stop bothering you.

I too, use allegedly. Even in the discharge diagnosis.
1. Contusion/Fx/Hematoma/Whatever
2. Alleged Assault

Also, I try to write "Pt states such and such happened" instead of writing a narrative.

Another subpoena issue:

Update: Trial was set to start Monday so I rearranged my schedule to have that morning free. In this case it means I had to swap a day shift for a night shift (ug). So Friday I called the DA and was told it's continued again. That means the whole thing was a waste. And it means I'll get another subpoena for when it finally goes. That will be my 5th subpoena for this case.

Update: Trial was set to start Monday so I rearranged my schedule to have that morning free. In this case it means I had to swap a day shift for a night shift (ug). So Friday I called the DA and was told it's continued again. That means the whole thing was a waste. And it means I'll get another subpoena for when it finally goes. That will be my 5th subpoena for this case.
Can they not place you on call to give you a 24-hour notice when you'll need to testify?

Can they not place you on call to give you a 24-hour notice when you'll need to testify?

Apparently not. I don't think they know what they're doing 24 hours out. In any case it still wouldn't help. If they called me and said "Be here tomorrow." I'd still have no way to get out of my shift easily.

I just went through the same thing from a case during residency where I ended up getting a subpoena after I had moved to a different city ~100 miles away. I went through about 5 months of it getting continued multiple times with multiple subpoenas. The best part is they would give me a 2 week "on call period" each time and then expect me to be able to get off on a moments notice. I wanted nothing more than for it to go away. Finally, it sounds like they settled out of court and it's over, but it was still miserable. I will never sign anything handed to me by a law enforcement official ever again.

I will never sign anything handed to me by a law enforcement official ever again.

You say that, but you don't have a choice. See above.

I was served last year, and, ironically, I remember the case. A pt came in, female, beaten up. She stated it was by her significant other, although I do not recall if they were married (although I think they were, for the following reason). Her English wasn't good, but she told me she had been charged for A&B; I was confused. However, she told me that she was a permanent resident, and not yet a citizen. Then I realized it - husband beats her, and, even if she fought back or not, he hits himself, and calls the police. He threatens her that she will be deported, so he has all the power. (None of this went into my chart, except that "pt stated she was assaulted by her husband" - always "pt stated".)

After it being continued once, I never heard again, and I left the state.

I have a very standard reply I send to the DA for these criminal cases. I tell them I remember nothing about the case or any details surrounding the patient encounter. I state that we do have a transcription of the medical record and I would be happy to read this for the court. However, I will only read this report and will not provide any expert testimony or opinion without compensation. This tends to get them off my case very quickly. I also do not change my schedule at work or for personal life for their court dates. I simply tell them I am unavailable. I tell them I am scheduled to work or will be out of town and let them schedule the court date around my schedule. I'm sure if they wanted to they could force me to appear on a specific date, but I make to attempt to change my schedule. Many of my partners won't even respond to their subpoenas that are faxed to our office. To legally subpoena a person you have to have that specific person legally sign for the subpoena, so you have no responsibility to contact them after a fax comes to your office. In the future I will ignore all of these requests until I am formally/legally subpoenaed. I have heard that some hospitals have a legal person that will read the dictated medical report under oath for the court so you don't have to go. I wish we had that.

To legally subpoena a person you have to have that specific person legally sign for the subpoena, so you have no responsibility to contact them after a fax comes to your office.

Everyone reading this, please check your state law before you ignore a subpoena not personally served.

Many states allow mailing subpoenas (is it subpoenae?). ;)

I was thinking of this thread recently for reasons that will become clear. The case I was talking about in this thread ultimately led to me testifying in front of a grand jury and then I never heard about it again. Just before that though I got called for jury duty and got excused because I pointed out that I was under subpoena for this case and might get pulled at any time.

Lately I have turned into a subpoena magnet. This had never happened to me before but I had some DB process server serve my wife at my house by handing the papers over the back fence to her during my kid's pool party. You can't truly appreciate the legal profession until you've had them approach your family in front of all your friends and had your spouse have to try to reassure your child that daddy isn't going to jail at their own party, all while you were easily reachable working at the ED where the incident in question had taken place. That was another witness subpoena. I showed up to that depo really pissed off as you can imagine and the lawyers didn't show. It had apparently been cancelled but no one told me. Again, love the lawyers.

I'm also still involved in a case where I'm a witness in a medical malpractice case. I can't discuss too much but I've already had 3 meetings with my lawyer (i.e. 3 ruined days off), the case is almost 3 years old and is expected to go another 3 years at least. My depo is expected to take 8 hours. I don't want to talk to someone I like for 8 straight hours, let alone some plaintiff's attorney.

And to cap it off the morning of my last meeting on that case I spent in court waiting to testify as a witness to an incident where a patient assaulted a tech and put him in the ICU. That makes it a felony assault. I was subpoenaed by both the DA and the Public Defender on that one. 2 subpoenas in one day (the Friday afternoon before the case was set to go on Monday morning) was a new record for me. The Public Defender, in a valiant attempt to stave off justice, subpoenaed half the ED staff from that day hoping we wouldn't show up so he could plead it down to a misdemeanor. We all showed up so he had it continued to another day when he's hoping we won't show up again. Yay the legal system! So we all get to lose another day next month.

2 things based on this latest experience:

If I saw the actual attack do I still refer to it as "alleged" in the record?

The whole idea that there are special laws to protect health care workers is more of a theory than a reality.

Always try to get money from the lawyer, especially if you are testifying in a deposition as a "witness". I typically tell them that if they don't pay me, I will simply read what I wrote on the medical chart. If they want to call me as an "expert witness" and pay me as such, then I am happy to provide medical expertise answers to any of their questions. It is implied in doing so that my answers will be much more sympathetic to their case.

Even the DA in criminal trials can you pay you as an expert. I once had to testify in Family Court in regards to a patient I had treated who was assaulted by another child. The DA was able to pay me $250/hour to testify, which is the max they can pay.

Wow, crazy this thread popped up. I was subpeonad several mos ago for a case that didn't go to trial on the day they said it would and I was never told about that. Then I get an urgent phone call from my hospital legal department 2 weeks ago saying the DAs office has ben trying to reach me feverishly though to no avail (I got no emails or phone calls). Apparently the trial was set to go 3 days ago. I call the day before to confirm and am told they do not know when the trial will go as they cannot get hold of the assaulted, assaultee, or any of the lawyers. They never bothered to tell me about this either. I told them to bug off. Should I just ask for payment next time for my time?

Wow, crazy this thread popped up. I was subpeonad several mos ago for a case that didn't go to trial on the day they said it would and I was never told about that. Then I get an urgent phone call from my hospital legal department 2 weeks ago saying the DAs office has ben trying to reach me feverishly though to no avail (I got no emails or phone calls). Apparently the trial was set to go 3 days ago. I call the day before to confirm and am told they do not know when the trial will go as they cannot get hold of the assaulted, assaultee, or any of the lawyers. They never bothered to tell me about this either. I told them to bug off. Should I just ask for payment next time for my time?
Bottom line: If they're asking for any opinion from you, beyond what's in your chart verbatim, demand payment on the order of at least 2-3 times your normal hourly pay rate, preferably up front, including all travel time, court time, time reviewing charts, times on the phone with attorneys, etc. If you're just a material witness in a criminal trial you get nothing. In that case make it clear you will only testify to the facts in the chart, and essentially read your chart back to them verbatim. Trust me, if your testimony can allow them to win their case and collect big dinero, they won't mind throwing you 10-20 C-notes.

You can't demand über cash if you're called by subpoena to testify as a factual witness. Could you imagine if every single person, in every court today as demanding $300/hr to testify, "Yes sir. I saw that guy pull the trigger."? Our system couldn't function. But for expert opinion testimony, especially in a civil case, all bets are off.

Hypothetical attorney question: "Doctor, what caused this patient's back injury?"

Factual witness: "Per review of my chart, the diagnosis is lumbar strain."

Attorney: "Was this caused by Mr Jones crashing his car into the back of Mr Smith's car?"

Factual witness: "Per my review of the chart, the cause of the injury is 'lumbar strain.'"

In contrast, here's an example of hypothetical expert opinion testimony: "Sir, the diagnosis is lumbar strain. This clearly and definitively as caused by the accident Mr Jones and Mr. Smith, and could have caused by nothing else, in my opinion."

This is the same way in which lawyers will shop around to find famous doctors to take thousands of dollars to testify against other doctors in court.

http://www.epmonthly.com/features/c...-slippery-slope-for-dubious-expert-testimony/

Last edited:
This had never happened to me before but I had some DB process server serve my wife at my house by handing the papers over the back fence to her during my kid's pool party. You can't truly appreciate the legal profession until you've had them approach your family in front of all your friends and had your spouse have to try to reassure your child that daddy isn't going to jail at their own party, all while you were easily reachable working at the ED where the incident in question had taken place.

Oh, I know. Remember this one?

"My kid and I are outside in the front yard blowing bubbles, enjoying the blue skies and 70 degree weather when she says, “Cool Daddy! Look, there’s a police car coming down the street. Oh, cool! I think he’s coming to see us!”

Uh, oh, I think to myself. Despite my kid’s excitement, I know that rarely does anything good come delivered by a policeman. My wife is inside, my one kid is with me and my other is inside, so they’re not coming to give me some tragic news. Or are they? My parents … my siblings … is everyone okay? Why is a sheriff pulling into my driveway?

I exhale for a minute. Maybe it’s Jim, the officer that lives in the neighborhood, I think to myself. He’s probably just stopping by to chat or say, “Hi.” As the car rolls closer, squinting to look beyond the window glare I see that it’s not Jim. It’s an officer I’ve never seen before. Clearly none of us has done anything to get arrested.

“Daddy! I wanna go see inside the police car! Daddy, will he give us a ride? Ooh, ooh, can I see his gun? Cool!” says my kid, jumping up and down with excitement.

“Let’s see what he wants,” I answer.

The driver door opens. A huge officer gets out, in grey uniform, bulletproof vest bulging underneath, with black wrap-around sunglasses, and a toothpick in his mouth.

“Are you Dr. Bird?” he asks, as serious as a heart attack.

“Yes, sir,” I answer.

“I got a present for ya,” he says, as he pulls a thick rolled up stack of paper from under his arm and hands it to me. “Here’s your...(read more)"

Last edited:
Those are some outrageous stories. That they are allowed to mess with people's lives in this manner is ridiculous, particularly for people who don't work on a salary. Every time a doc has to take a day off to comply with the "justice" system he's literally losing $2000+, or like $10,000 if he's a spine surgeon lmao. Potentially, you could have a situation where an ortho was a witness to property damage assessed at under $1000 but had to cancel 5 OR days due to various continuances and lost 50k. Bonkers.

Oh, and I forgot, I got pulled for jury duty this spring and wasted a day doing that too.

More often than not, jury duty notices can be easy to get out of.

I've been mailed jury duty notices, and not had to appear in them - both in the US and Canada!

The former happened when I was a resident. I simply wrote a letter to the judge asking to be excused saying I don't have any vacation time left, and my being absent would negatively impact patient care in the ED. I was excused.

I know this is an odd necrobump, but I get to go into trial as a witness tomorrow. I've got a patient of mine from residency suing another physician.

I'm no longer at that institution, so I ask for records to review before I testify. The secretary sends over a 130 page fax, that requires me to stand by the machine the whole time because our fax is a broke-ass piece of crap that was replaced this morning (of course).

Out of the 130 pages, only about 4 are even slightly relevant. Only one note is from me and it's missing the first page, so I have no idea what the date of the encounter is from it. A solid 1/3rd of the pages are one of those patient education pamphlets you can print out in Cerner about back pain, which was printed about 7 times, for some reason.

Tommorow is going to be interesting.