Chromatid # during interphase

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredent22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bio Destroyer #72 asks how many chromatids are in a somatic cell with 10 chromosomes during interphase. Romano says the answer is 20, but doesn't this depend on whether it has gone through S phase yet? If it hasn't, it will just have 10 chromatids. Am I wrong?

Members don't see this ad.

Bio Destroyer #72 asks how many chromatids are in a somatic cell with 10 chromosomes during interphase. Romano says the answer is 20, but doesn't this depend on whether it has gone through S phase yet? If it hasn't, it will just have 10 chromatids. Am I wrong?

You are right. This is definitely the wrong question to ask. They have to specify which stage of interphase they are talking about. What is Romano by the way?

Members don't see this ad :)
its not a wrong question ...Chromatid is one of the two copies of the chromosome after S phase. (half of the X tht forms with centromere in the center)while chromosome is the non-replicated genetic material.

so if they had asked for number of chromosomes in Interphase then the ans would be the same as the original which is 10

its not a wrong question ...Chromatid is one of the two copies of the chromosome after S phase. (half of the X tht forms with centromere in the center)while chromosome is the non-replicated genetic material.

so if they had asked for number of chromosomes in Interphase then the ans would be the same as the original which is 10

They have asked for the number of chromatids not chromosomes. Number of chromosomes is gonna be equal to 10 during the entire interphase; however, number of chromatids doubles after S. This is a WRONG question to ask.

They have asked for the number of chromatids not chromosomes. Number of chromosomes is gonna be equal to 10 during the entire interphase; however, number of chromatids doubles after S. This is a WRONG question to ask.

you are righ :thumbup: :thumbup: there are bunch of these wrong questions, in the same time destroyer is great resource.

chromatids refers to duplicated chromosomes, so it should have gone thru S phase, so with 10 original chromosomes, now you will have double of that, meaning 20 chromosomes or 10 sister chromatids, am I right???

yes i agree with u avian...i think i remember reading that in schaums or campbell

chromatids refers to duplicated chromosomes, so it should have gone thru S phase, so with 10 original chromosomes, now you will have double of that, meaning 20 chromosomes or 10 sister chromatids, am I right???

Um no. Chromatids are not duplicated chromosomes, they are chromatids. A chromosome is counted as such if it has a centromere, if two sister chromatids share a single centromere, then it still counts as one chromosome. I remember this was clarified in AP bio. The only time there are two chromosomes in a cell is when the sister chromatids are pull apart. In reference to the question, there will always be 20 chromatids, but the number of chromosomes will depend on which phase of replication it is in.