Chromosomal Translocation Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SaintJude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Chromosomal translocation would not result in:

a.) loss of function mutation
b.) fusion of genetic material to form a new gene
c.) polyploidy of a genome
d.) a normal amount of genetic material

Will post answer...sooon

Edit: C.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
chromosomal translocation would not result in:

A.) loss of function mutation
b.) fusion of genetic material to form a new gene
c.) polyploidy of a genome
d.) a normal amount of genetic material

will post answer...sooon

c!

Yeah. Did you know this because you knew that polyploidy was a state of an extra set of chromosomes?

I got confused because I thought that trisomy 21--sometimes caused by translocation-- was a case of polyploidy, when it's really just a case anueploidy. :smack:

Follow-up Q:
In polyploid, there is a duplication of an entire set of chromosomes. And trisomy 21 is a form of aneuploidy because it has two copies of only Chromosome 21 (as opposed to an entire set of chromosome)?

Last edited:
Yeah, chiddler you're so right.

Did you know this because you knew that polyploidy was a state of an extra set of chromosomes?

I got confused because I thought that trisomy 21--sometimes caused by translocation-- was a case of polyploidy, when it's really just a case anueploidy. :smack:(I'm prob overusing these annoying emoticons...)

i got you pre-edit :D

Yes I remember that from my genetics class. Plus process of elimination; all the others that were listed are very possible.

Your latter question sounds correct, too.

dont want to start a new thread for a simple question... although one that is tangential to this topic... but:

why "cant" translocations cause a point or frameshift mutation?