CHSU COM vs ATSU KCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jole89

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm in a dilemma. I have been accepted at KCOM but because the class is full, I was offered a seat for next year (July 2024). However, I also received news that I have been accepted off the waitlist at CHSU to start later this month. this is my third cycle and I am so glad to finally have an acceptance I would love to start right away but I've heard CHSU might not be the best choice. I hope to pursue general surgery and I know they haven't graduated a class so their match rates are unknown. as opposed to KCOM which is really well-established and has connections.

Before anyone comes for me, I know by applying I'm basically accepting and I would take CHSU if it were my only acceptance but it is not and I am stressed. Thanks :)

CHSU COM
pros:
* close to home (about 5 hour drive)
* have many friends there already
* would be able to stay in CA
Cons
* private loans
* not accredited yet
* no cadaver lab
* mandatory classes i think?

KCOM
pros:
really well established
wouldn't start for another year (I just want to start and get going lol)

cons
far from home
Kirksville might be a bit too conservative for my California personality

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on both acceptances! I definitely feel that you’re in a really tough spot (but hey eustress!). Personally, I’d choose CHSU just because I’d rather start now and finish earlier. I get that KCOM is a good school and all but waiting another year just makes me feel like I could’ve applied for another cycle. And if I were to do that, I’d rather just apply to more schools this time and possibly end up in a state you may really like? Idk if that makes sense.Also, I heard that CHSU might have federal loans starting next year too.

Also, saw that you’re still waitlisted in PCOM so I’m hoping for that to come through! We might be future classmates. But either way you choose, congrats future doc!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on both acceptances! I definitely feel that you’re in a really tough spot (but hey eustress!). Personally, I’d choose CHSU just because I’d rather start now and finish earlier. I get that KCOM is a good school and all but waiting another year just makes me feel like I could’ve applied for another cycle. And if I were to do that, I’d rather just apply to more schools this time and possibly end up in a state you may really like? Idk if that makes sense.Also, I heard that CHSU might have federal loans starting next year too.

Also, saw that you’re still waitlisted in PCOM so I’m hoping for that to come through! We might be future classmates. But either way you choose, congrats future doc!
Thank you! Honestly, the timing is probs at the bottom of my list of concerns. I've been trying to get an acceptance for 5 years so waiting another year isn't the biggest issue (and I'd be less stressed knowing that I wouldn't have to apply again). And yes, hopefully PCOM gets back to me sometime soon because I will take that acceptance in a heartbeat and be there the next day if I have to lol