cincinnati, anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abhishek1003

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I thought it would be fun to start a university of cincinnati thread....

who's going?

i know i am.

let me know! :D

Members don't see this ad.

i'm on hold post interview. I'll definitely consider attending if I get accepted. UC is a great school and I love the atmosphere of the school. However, isn't the grading system A-F? If so, that's such a turn off. I worried enough bout grades in undergrad, i don't wanna worry about getting A/B in medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
sdnstud said:
i'm on hold post interview. I'll definitely consider attending if I get accepted. UC is a great school and I love the atmosphere of the school. However, isn't the grading system A-F? If so, that's such a turn off. I worried enough bout grades in undergrad, i don't wanna worry about getting A/B in medical school.

actually i think i saw somewhere that the grading system is F, P, HP, and H

Art Vandalay said:

art's right about the grading system;

Art Vandalay said:

Weird. According to the AMCAS website, UC has a 5-tier grading system. I assume 5-tier means ABCDF?

cincinnati people! where you at?! :)

i'm not totally sure i'll be going but there's a good chance. i was really impressed at the interview... to the point that it's currently beating out what was previously my first choirce school. but we'll see.

and for the record, the grading is definitely not ABCDF. it may be 5-tier, im not sure... but i remember my tour guide talking about how for him it wasn't worth locking himself in the library to try to get the top tier grades- i think they call it honors-- when he could have a life outside school and still get the second tier-- high pass.

UC was a great school. I enjoyed interviewing there, and was impressed with everyone I met.

I'm happy to join your thread. I'll be at UC in August. Anyone definitely going that got a financial aid letter yet? I just got all my forms done and I'm waiting to see what they give me. But if any of my future classmates want to talk in real time, my AIM screen name is under my SDN info.

Ciao.

Alyssa

keep the messages alive for UC entering class 2005!

alright

my SN is abhishek1003 for AIM

message me

I really hope I wind up at UC. I got in but my husband applied to school this year (masters of architecture) and he has to make up his mind where he wants to go too, he's deciding between UC and Syracuse University (I'd be at SUNY Upstate). Arg. I'm from NYC, anyone out there have advice on where to live that's walking distance from UC and relatively safe? I heard parking on campus is not really a possibility.

i'm not, but i have a good friend who is a 1st year there now and loves it!

Hey all,

I'm 95% sure I'll be at UC in the fall. I've grown up in Cincy, so what's another 4 years? :D

To answer the housing question: there is housing available within walking distance of school, but most of it is older houses/apartments that are liveable but not what I would consider "nice".

There are, however, plenty of nice areas within a 10-15 minute commute to campus. Probably the best and closest areas to live are Hyde Park, Mt. Adams, and Mt. Lookout. The housing is a little more expensive but well worth it.

Also, to address the parking question: there is plenty of parking on campus. In fact, there is a huge parking garage adjacent to the med school. I even believe parking fees were included in the projected budget sent last month.

Anyone can feel free to PM me with specific questions.

DM

Members don't see this ad :)
Yahoo, I'm definitely going to UC!

UC Class of 2009!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm there for sure. I was sold on the way the curriculum is structured across the classes. I think it will make retention for the board exams a lot eaier. The professors' handouts must be incredible: I knew a guy who graduated several years ago who finished #1 in his class and never, ever went to lecture.

August will not get here soon enough for me!

Ciao
glc549

Does anyone know what all goes on during orientation week?

I'm trying to do the university financial aid application online and I don't know what my email password is. Is anyone else having trouble?

Has anyone on the "on hold" category sent an update letter and or extra letter of recommendation? How does UC look at such extra supporting documents?

silly me, I spoke too soon. After a week of discussion (and some screaming) my husband and I have changed our minds, we will be headed to Syracuse instead (SUNY Upstate for me), so anyone waiting to hear from Cincinnati there will be another open spot come Monday! Good luck everyone who's heading to (or staying in) Cincy, wish me luck with the 12 feet of snow . . .

glc549 said:
Does anyone know what all goes on during orientation week?

Orientation week at UC is great. Lots of daily activities, informational meetings, free food, and nights out on the town. We'll get you acquainted with the local hang outs. I will be one of the second years leading you clueless twerps around :D

Welcome to UC!

heldicus said:
Orientation week at UC is great. Lots of daily activities, informational meetings, free food, and nights out on the town. We'll get you acquainted with the local hang outs. I will be one of the second years leading you clueless twerps around :D

Welcome to UC!

You said the magic words: "free food" I'm there!

Thanks for the info, Oh Great One.

clueless twerp

Just to clear up the grading scheme... It is Honors, High Pass, and Pass. :) But to be honest, it doesn't really matter. For ranking, it all comes down to your overall percentage.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
MS-II
UC, Class of 2007

Dr.Alex said:
I really hope I wind up at UC. I got in but my husband applied to school this year (masters of architecture) and he has to make up his mind where he wants to go too, he's deciding between UC and Syracuse University (I'd be at SUNY Upstate). Arg. I'm from NYC, anyone out there have advice on where to live that's walking distance from UC and relatively safe? I heard parking on campus is not really a possibility.

hey dr. alex,
i'm in the exact same position, my husband is trying to decide between syracuse and uc. right now he's leaning towards syracuse and i myself can't really decide. i'm having a hard time comparing the two. why are you more set on uc than upstate??help. thanks.

2009doc said:
hey dr. alex,
i'm in the exact same position, my husband is trying to decide between syracuse and uc. right now he's leaning towards syracuse and i myself can't really decide. i'm having a hard time comparing the two. why are you more set on uc than upstate??help. thanks.

That's too funny, we have since decided on Syracuse instead (Upstate for me). I went back and revisited Upstate, and realized that I do really like that school as much as I like UC. My husband was initially leaning towards UC but eventually decided that the theories of teaching architecture at Syracuse University are more to his liking, and I was feeling equally happy about UC and Upstate, so we went with Syracuse. Cincinnati is a real city, Syracuse is a college town. Since I've always been a New York City girl, I thought a college town might be fun. Both schools are good, solid schools, Cincinnati has more money, more resources, and more bells and whistles, Upstate is smaller and more intimate, the professors, physicians, and researchers more accessible. I've asked zillions and zillions of people, the consensus is that you can get a great education at both places. No one in New York has heard of UC, no one in the midwest or west coast has heard of Upstate, so it really matters more based on where he wants to do his residency, and which place you guys would feel happy living in. All in all it seems you can get more home for your dollar in Syracuse, but there's much more life in Cincinnati (and more crime, of course). I'm going to Upstate's second visit day on May 9th, perhaps I'll see you there. Good luck deciding!

who knows when the first day of classes is?

Do we have to get physicals or vaccinations before we start in August?

glc549 said:
Do we have to get physicals or vaccinations before we start in August?

bump..anyone?

Guys, congrats on all the acceptances. :)

Based on your own experience and what you know of UC, what kind of chance do you think an in-state, 30R (8PS,10VR,12BS), 3.43 sci/3.56 cum (3 c's and a d frosh yr, 3.85 soph and jr yr), way above avg ECs and fine letters would have at interview/acceptance?

crys20 said:
way above avg ECs and fine letters would have at interview/acceptance?

What's "way above avg ECs"? Did you publish in Nature, win the Nobel prize or find the cure for AIDS?

lol ok maybe not way above avg but def above avg ;) nothing super stand-outish i dont think just a variety of long term serious committments to various things...just above avg, that's all :)

I interviewed at UC in Dec. and just got waitlisted a few days ago... Do you think I still have a chance? I just got accepted to MSU, but would really like to have a choice of schools.

--dk

dknc75 said:
I interviewed at UC in Dec. and just got waitlisted a few days ago... Do you think I still have a chance? I just got accepted to MSU, but would really like to have a choice of schools.

--dk

Well of course you have a chance! There is a lot of waitlist movement for UC typically.

Anyways, MSU, hmm, Im assuming your from within MI? You can stay on the UC waitlist for a while, MSU CHM doesnt start till aug!

Just wanted to add a bit about how the wiatlist at UC worked 2 years ago when I was on it (I was an out of stater).

Around this time, I went from the perpetual on hold to "high on the waiting list with expectation that I would be accepted". The waiting list is stagnant until the first of June (if you make the top wait list you have to write back to them that you do indeed want to remain on the waitlist....they wait until all of these are back to start moving the waitlist).

I got a phone call the second week of June that I was accepted.

So....in summary....

Expect to hear soon if you are high on the wait list (I'd say in the next week to ten days)

Then prepare not to worry about it until June hits. DOn't watch the mailbox, you will get a phone call.

Hope this helps and good luck!

UCCOM Class of 2007

sflynn said:
Just wanted to add a bit about how the wiatlist at UC worked 2 years ago when I was on it (I was an out of stater).

Around this time, I went from the perpetual on hold to "high on the waiting list with expectation that I would be accepted". The waiting list is stagnant until the first of June (if you make the top wait list you have to write back to them that you do indeed want to remain on the waitlist....they wait until all of these are back to start moving the waitlist).

I got a phone call the second week of June that I was accepted.

So....in summary....

Expect to hear soon if you are high on the wait list (I'd say in the next week to ten days)

Then prepare not to worry about it until June hits. DOn't watch the mailbox, you will get a phone call.

Hope this helps and good luck!

UCCOM Class of 2007

Oh, I think they might be ahead of schedule then... b/c myself and a few others on SDN got the "top of the alternate list and rated for an acceptance" e-mail/letter on April 15th. I still had to reply, but MAYBE they're a bit ahead of schedule for acceptances... (i hope) :rolleyes:

I think they are ahead of schedule this year because I received a letter on April 15 saying that I was in a "speicial group" at the top of the list. However, I received another package from cincinnati today. It was a big envelope filled with financial aid information. The letter in it said I should fill this info out because I could receive an appceptance anytime between now and the start of class. I was curious as to how many people received this package and if it was very significant. I really want to go to cincinnati so I hope this is a good sign.

Did you get your financial aid package, namely your award letter?

kskuwik said:
I think they are ahead of schedule this year because I received a letter on April 15 saying that I was in a "speicial group" at the top of the list. However, I received another package from cincinnati today. It was a big envelope filled with financial aid information. The letter in it said I should fill this info out because I could receive an appceptance anytime between now and the start of class. I was curious as to how many people received this package and if it was very significant. I really want to go to cincinnati so I hope this is a good sign.

sdnstud said:
Did you get your financial aid package, namely your award letter?

No the letter is not my award letter. Here is what its says:

Dear Alternate to the 2005 entering class:
The office of admissions has informed me that you are on a list of alternates for our 2005 entering class. Because it is possible you could receive an offer of admissions anytime between now and the start of class, I am sending you the following financial aid materials.

And then it goes on to say if I am interested in attending I should go ahead and fill them out send them to cincy.

I was wondering how many other people received this, and if everyone on the alternate list got it.

probably, I received it yesterday

teh-t said:
probably, I received it yesterday
Did you also receive the letter that said you were in a "special group" at the top of the alternate list?

yes. however, i recently was awarded a full scholarship to another allopathic institution so my interest is diminishing

Anyone attending UCincy with me this fall???

Jason110 said:
Anyone attending UCincy with me this fall???

I will be there...........Cant wait for Aug. :luck: :D

hey all, so I am in the midst of online apartment hunting and I plan to head down to Cincy (from Chicago) in a few weeks to visit some spots in person. Anyone know which areas are the most popular for med school students though? Close to the medical campus would certainly be ideal, but if there is an apartment building down there where everyone is living I'd love to get in on it.