Cincinnati SMP 2010-2011 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

klmnop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey so I saw some people talking on some old Cinci SMP threads, and I thought there should be a new one for people applying/accepted for the 2010-2011 term.

I haven't heard anything back yet, and likewise have yet to hear anything from the Med School, but if anyone has any questions, gripes, or advice, this is the place.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey so I saw some people talking on some old Cinci SMP threads, and I thought there should be a new one for people applying/accepted for the 2010-2011 term.

I haven't heard anything back yet, and likewise have yet to hear anything from the Med School, but if anyone has any questions, gripes, or advice, this is the place.

Hi, I'm currently in the Cincinnati SMP program right now. Not a lot of people have been on SDN for a while because we just had out spring quarter exams and everyone's on spring break. But you can post any questions that you have about the program on here. As for application, I can go to Jeanine later this week and ask her to see when if they've made any decisions yet.

Hey thanks for starting this thread. I was wondering if anybody new how many people cincinnati takes off the waitinglist? Do quite a few make it or is it like Tufts and pretty much nobody makes it off the list? I have already been accepted to the Tufts MBS, but am extremely intersest in Cincinnati for many reasons. I was put on the Cincinnati waitlist a few weeks ago and just want to know what my chances are?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey thanks for starting this thread. I was wondering if anybody new how many people cincinnati takes off the waitinglist? Do quite a few make it or is it like Tufts and pretty much nobody makes it off the list? I have already been accepted to the Tufts MBS, but am extremely intersest in Cincinnati for many reasons. I was put on the Cincinnati waitlist a few weeks ago and just want to know what my chances are?

I've read here that UCin has a 3 tiered WL. Call them a couple weeks after the deadline to find out what tier your in. Supposedly you have a decent chance of making it if your in the first tier.

Quite a lot of the SMP class is composed of people who got off the waitlist - I would say that 1/3 of our current class is composed of people who were on the waitlist. There were even a few who got off the day before orientation started. I'm going to say that the people who got accepted outright probably had good numbers statwise and are also on the waitlist at several medical schools. So it's possible that they'll withdrawl when they get into a medical school. Being on the waitlist at this point isn't a bad place to be. Just be patient and wait until May or June when most of the waitlist movement starts happening.

Hey when and how did you hear that you were on the list. I have yet to hear anything from them and I applied fairly early. I'm assuming it would mean I am in like the waiting list for the waiting list and they don't want to count me out yet.

Hey Guys, thought I'd chime in....

So I applied to Univ of Cinn SMP on December 15th 2009, and I told them to hold my application with my old mcat score of 27 until I get my Jan 2010 scores in early march. I updated them with my score and I was placed in their waitlist....

I also applied to Georgetown's SMP, and was waitlisted with my old score. Then, literally one day after I received my new MCAT score, I was accepted.

So, over the next week or so, I'll rescind my Univ of Cinn waitlist position, so others can get a chance...

Hope this helps !

Heck I applied to them in April and didn't hear anything back from them until June

This process is way too long. Its convenient that you can apply through May in many cases, but it blows that sometimes they don't tell you until days before the start of class. It will make a for a very difficult and interesting choice if this happens. Unfortunately, the way my apps are going, I may very well have to do this come July and August.

This process is way too long. Its convenient that you can apply through May in many cases, but it blows that sometimes they don't tell you until days before the start of class. It will make a for a very difficult and interesting choice if this happens. Unfortunately, the way my apps are going, I may very well have to do this come July and August.

I feel your pain :(

But fortunately, there is a rainbow at the end of all that waiting.

Can anyone find the address to mail the transcripts and MCAT scores and LOR's? I looked all over the site and it's not there.

Hey when and how did you hear that you were on the list. I have yet to hear anything from them and I applied fairly early. I'm assuming it would mean I am in like the waiting list for the waiting list and they don't want to count me out yet.

I got a letter in the mail about a month ago. It was pretty short and didn't give much information. All it said was that I was on the wiatlist and that they were very pleased with my application.

I got a letter in the mail about a month ago. It was pretty short and didn't give much information. All it said was that I was on the wiatlist and that they were very pleased with my application.

Come to think of it, I may have gotten something in the mail a few months ago saying I was on hold.... I don't remember exactly and I can't seem to find it, which is terrific.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know a good time to call the people there? There's a number but i never seem to be able to reach her...

I'm back with some more waitlist questions. Does anybody know how much the waitlist has moved in the past? I've read that the waitlist usually has about 50 people on it. Also, does anybody know how the tier system works? I have seen on other threads that there has been some confusion in the past at other schools for the wording the programs use. For example, at EVMS, someone was told they were on the lower third of the waitlist, so they thought they were at the bottom, but the lower third was in fact the first tier and they ended up being accepted the following week. I don't know where I stand on the waitlist yet, but I will probably call sometime next week. I hope that my position is promising. I have already been accepted to four other SMP programs, so I hope I don't have to wait until June or July to find out.

I'm back with some more waitlist questions. Does anybody know how much the waitlist has moved in the past? I've read that the waitlist usually has about 50 people on it. Also, does anybody know how the tier system works? I have seen on other threads that there has been some confusion in the past at other schools for the wording the programs use. For example, at EVMS, someone was told they were on the lower third of the waitlist, so they thought they were at the bottom, but the lower third was in fact the first tier and they ended up being accepted the following week. I don't know where I stand on the waitlist yet, but I will probably call sometime next week. I hope that my position is promising. I have already been accepted to four other SMP programs, so I hope I don't have to wait until June or July to find out.

Being on the waitlist, I called the phone number provided at the bottom of the email to figure out where I stand. I was told by the admissions advisor that I spoke with that I was a 'person of interest' and ranked very highly amongst the candidates... though they did not give me a specific number or suggest that this meant a guartuneed future acceptance. I was told that they have about a dozen deposits down for the incoming class and not every acceptance has been distributed (class size of 28, current application pool stands at about 400). I was told that I would probably not hear anything until about June.

The waitlist moves quite a lot here at the UC SMP. You have to understand that the people who have strong credentials and get accepted during the first round are also those who are holding onto multiple waitlist at several schools. So up until May or June, it's possible that anyone can get off the waitlist. Speaking from personal experience, I was completed in April and didn't hear anything back until June or July. I know of people who got accepted through the summer up until the day before orientation.

As far as calling goes, if you have questions about where you stand, I would adivse sending an e-mail to Jeannie. Since there are about 400 applications, it's pretty much impossible for her to recall yours (or anyone else's application) off the top of her head, so it'll be much more likely that she'll know where you stand if you e-mail her.

Are you referring to Jeannie Cummins, just looked her up, not familiar with her. What about Karen Coleman, the program coordinator.

Are you referring to Jeannie Cummins, just looked her up, not familiar with her. What about Karen Coleman, the program coordinator.

Jeannie Cummins is the program coordinator. Not sure who Karen is. Just go on the Cincinnati SMP website and make sure that you have the correct contact information for the program - you don't want to be randomly calling up people's office at the College of Medicine.

Jeannie Cummins is the program coordinator. Not sure who Karen is. Just go on the Cincinnati SMP website and make sure that you have the correct contact information for the program - you don't want to be randomly calling up people's office at the College of Medicine.

Hmm, maybe it changed cause according to this its Karen http://www.med.uc.edu/physiology/Staff.htm whom I've contacted before with questions, but nothing about waitlist rankings.

I was just accepted to uc a week and a half ago and paid the deposit to reserve a spot yesterday. waitlisted at evms, still waiting to hear back from temple acms, gtown, bu, tufts. From the posts i've seen, uc looks like a pretty reputable program and i guess thats why i went ahead and reserved the spot. anyone else commit to uc?

klmnop- Jeannie is indeed the program coordinator and responds quickly to emails. I had a few questions during the app process and she got back to me within the day.

Looking Glass- I know you've been answering a lot of questions about the program and the waitlist, but i was wondering what you think about smp students applying for med school the same while in the program (ie summer before the program starts)? is uccom fairly responsive to grade updates given from the smp faculty? how many in your current class have applied and what was their success rate w/ med school interviews/acceptances? I really appreciate any light you can shed on the whole process. Thanks!

Btw, I'm a first-time poster and have found all these postbac related threads really helpful in making some decisions

I am a current UC MS student as well. The current class has had fairly good success with the application cycle, at least 60% of the class who applied has been accepted somewhere. Suprisingly many of the students didn't apply this year but many of the students who apply after finishing up have been accepted to even better schools than UC, which is already a very well-ranked school.

I had interviews at 6 schools this cycle, and was accepted at 2, and canceled my other interviews. This is coming from someone with a ~3.2 uGPA, who didn't receive a single interview the last time I applied. The UCCOM adcom is VERY responsive to grade updates, as they are intimately acquainted with the students and the curriculum they see along the med students. They really like MS students alot, despite there being no official linkage.

As for applying while in the program, just make sure to have your apps done BEFORE school starts, or it is going to be tough with the combined workload.

Also, Jeanine Cummins is now the new program coordinator and is very helpful.

Please PM with any Q's....

How long did it take for u guys to hear back after u got the under review email?? It's only been like 8 days for me, but should i wait a week and send an email or something? it really shouldnt take that long to figure it out

Last edited:
Hey everyone,
I applied to UC's SMP in physiology last weekend and I had a couple questions:

First, with a 31 MCAT, 3.3 GPA, and good research/extracurriculars, do you think I'll be a competitive applicant? (Ok, I know EVERYONE on these boards posts this same cliche, generic question, but seriously you know I have to ask)

Second (and probably more importantly), are students in UC's (and other) SMP's competitive applicants to medical schools outside of the state they did their masters in? That is to say, if I get my masters at Cinci, will I be competitive if I choose to apply to a medical school out of Ohio? Living in Ohio is definitely not my first choice and I would like to go to a medical school in a larger city if I can get accepted (ny, chicago, etc). Does anyone have any suggestions/help they can offer me on applying to medical schools in larger cities from out of state?

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.

How long did it take for u guys to hear back after u got the under review email?? It's only been like 8 days for me, but should i wait a week and send an email or something? it really shouldnt take that long to figure it out

That depends, some people hear back earlier than others. Yeah, if you don't hear back within a few weeks, send them an e-mail. There's a lot of movement in May and June though.

First, with a 31 MCAT, 3.3 GPA, and good research/extracurriculars, do you think I'll be a competitive applicant? (Ok, I know EVERYONE on these boards posts this same cliche, generic question, but seriously you know I have to ask)

Sure, it depends somwhat on how early you applied (the eariler the better because there are more spots to go out). I know people who have gotten in with lower numbers. Since you just applied rather late, it may take some time to hear back, but a lot of people currently in the program applied around the same time and heard back in June.

Second (and probably more importantly), are students in UC's (and other) SMP's competitive applicants to medical schools outside of the state they did their masters in? That is to say, if I get my masters at Cinci, will I be competitive if I choose to apply to a medical school out of Ohio? Living in Ohio is definitely not my first choice and I would like to go to a medical school in a larger city if I can get accepted (ny, chicago, etc). Does anyone have any suggestions/help they can offer me on applying to medical schools in larger cities from out of state?

Ohio is not that bad. There are so many great medical schools in this state and being an in-state resident helps tremendously with getting accepted to a medical school (priority is given to in-state residents at most of the state schools here). That being said, based on my experience, most medical schools in big cities such as Chicago, Washington DC, Boston, and NYC are very competitive to get into because of their locality. If I had to apply to those types of schools, I would apply to the ones that have their own SMP programs as they tend to be more receptive to students who are enrolled in an SMP program. From what I've heard, Georgetown (near DC), Drexel University (in Philadephia), NYMC (near New York), and RFU (near Chicago) all have their own SMP programs and have interviewed past people who were in the Cincinnati SMP.

a 31 MCAT, 3.3 GPA, and good research/extracurriculars

just to give you an idea of the number of similar applicants and the overall competitiveness, these are essentially my stats too and i applied very early and am currently top 50% of waitlist (whatever that means). i have a feeling these numbers represent the statistical mode of the applicants to UCinci

To answer, yes, people are interviewed/accepted at schools outside of the state. Myself and many others in the program received interviews at several OOS schools, and several have been accepted out of state during their MS year. Many end up going to UC, however, because it is a really outstanding school.

However, I wouldn't plan on going to somewhere in NYC though. If you need an SMP there is likely no chance that you will be getting in to NYU or Columbia, lets be honest. SMP's are to get people into a med school, not for getting them into a high-ranked one.

As for stats, the average MCAT last year was ~33 for the accepted class. If you are less than that, well, thats below average. They definitely seem to like people with high MCAT's, apparently that somehow correlates to exam/board scores during med school.

yea so i just got waitlisted yesterday. my stats are 3.1 GPA, 2.9 sGPA, 31S but baller ECs/research/clinical experience and LORs. i talked to the program director just now for a while and he told me pretty much the same thign as klmnop that i was 'teetering' between the upper and middle thirds. He said that at this step (SMP/postbac) grades/mcats mean more than EC's and stuff (which matters more at the med school step).

he said the problem was that cinci's program was so small compared to other programs like gtown, which i always sorta thought seemed harder to get into than cinci...

so i realized i have another problem. this doc that i shadowed and worked with wrote me an amazing letter of rec, but when he sent it to cinci and gtown he actually put cinci and jeannie cummins on both the letters! i've been trying to reach someone at gtown that will tell me that its not that big of a deal and happens all the time, or that they'll go change it. what do u think i should do?? i should be hearing soon too tho, thats the problem too...my under review email was sent 4/14

Hey everyone long time lurker here. Thanks for all the info. I have a dilemma which I hope a uc student can shed some light on. I just got accepted to tufts mbs and cincy. I have no idea which to choose as neither has an established success rate yet. I'm leaning toward cincy just because of the cost of living difference. Would this program help me get more interviews than tufts? Is it more reputable? Thanks!
For the stats junkies, 3.15, 29M, 10 years of healthcare/military experience

For people on the waiting list trying figure out their chances, I spoke to the director today and he wasn't too optimistic even for people in the top third.

Hi everyone, I just got into the program by email this Friday. My application was complete only a week before that, so they got back to me really quickly. I'm not positive I'll be doing it, since I still need to hear back from one med school and I'm on two other waitlists, but if I do do an SMP, this will almost certainly be it. From what I can tell, Cincinnati's curriculum is much more intense than any other program, and that gives their program a lot of respect.

I would reserve any concerns about getting off the waitlist until after May 15th. Then you can start to get worried.

Also, they call people right up until classes start. One of the current MS students was accepted 3 days before start of orientation/classes. She is now going to be a starting med school this fall at UC.

If you have a choice between Tufts and UC, I would definitely choose UC. There is definitely a better track record for admission at UC, in my opinion.

Good luck to everyone accepted, I will likely be seeing you guys at orientation!

Hey guys. I'm a graduate of the UC SMP program from a couple years ago and I'm a current med student at UC. I started a thread a long time ago for people interested and attending the program to offer my advice and answers to questions. Here's the link:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=641580

To the person asking about Tufts and UC. In my thread, one of the posts (post #17) lists the schools that graduates of the program have been offered interviews at and/or accepted or waitlisted to. I have not had time to update it with this current year's class, but I will talk to Dr. Banks and get the most updated stats in the next few weeks as this year wraps up. What you see on that post now is from all previous years though. Regardless, I'd say it has a damn good track record and reputation! :) Also, Cincinnati is WAY cheaper than Boston (plus a shorter, less harsh winter), and Tufts' program does not actually have you taking medical classes with the current med students (I applied to that one too)...but Cincy does!

Feel free to post questions for me on that thread...I'll probably bump it. Or even better, PM me with any questions or concerns. FYI: I was from out of state when I applied and had tried once already to get into med school. Any concerns regarding being a reapplicant or being OOS or just anything about the program or city in general, I'll try my best to answer. Just bear with me on my response time...lots of exams in the next few weeks. I also have a post on the Rate My SMP board regarding my thoughts on the program in general. Congrats on those who are accepted already!