University of Cincinnati SMP 2024-2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caloriesindefitic

Reaction score
Haven’t seen a thread about it yet. I applied a month ago, and I’m wondering if other people are in my boat.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not an applicant, but I'm a current student. Feel free to ask any questions about the program!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not an applicant, but I'm a current student. Feel free to ask any questions about the program!
Hey, I am senior in undergrad right now and I wanted to know if the Cinci SMP had any preference for in-state applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, current M3 and former student of the program here.

To answer your questions:
- The SMP program does NOT have a preference for in-state students. Every year, you will find students from all across the US. The program is willing to accept any student who has the potential to complete the program.
- Being an integrated program where you attend classes with M1s, you're practically a "pseudo-M1," so the course load is hard. However, the program has many resources, from counselors, tutors, and mentors, to help guide you through the year. Honestly, attending a challenging program was one of the major advantages of the program for me. ADCOMs are looking for students who can handle medical school and not drop out. Completing a program that has students attending the same courses as M1s gives admissions counselors more confidence in your ability to succeed in medical school compared to other programs where students have a separate curriculum.
- While most of your time will be dedicated to your studies, there is time for extracurriculars. I volunteered for about 4 hours a month at a community youth group during the program. During the year, there will be periods when you're more busy with school, which makes it hard but definitely doable. If you're looking to do some research during the program, there are numerous faculty mentors with labs that can help find a project for you.

- The SMP program does NOT have a preference for in-state students. Every year, you will find students from all across the US. The program is willing to accept any student who has the potential to complete the program.
- Being an integrated program where you attend classes with M1s, you're practically a "pseudo-M1," so the course load is hard. However, the program has many resources, from counselors, tutors, and mentors, to help guide you through the year. Honestly, attending a challenging program was one of the major advantages of the program for me. ADCOMs are looking for students who can handle medical school and not drop out. Completing a program that has students attending the same courses as M1s gives admissions counselors more confidence in your ability to succeed in medical school compared to other programs where students have a separate curriculum.
- While most of your time will be dedicated to your studies, there is time for extracurriculars. I volunteered for about 4 hours a month at a community youth group during the program. During the year, there will be periods when you're more busy with school, which makes it hard but definitely doable. If you're looking to do some research during the program, there are numerous faculty mentors with labs that can help find a project for you.
What percentage of your cohort gained admission into UCincy? Did most take a glide year and applied after the program ended?

Hello guys,
I applied for the SMP program last week, and wanted to know when should I expect to receive a decision regarding my application. Anyone has any idea how much do they take time to send out acceptances/rejections (roughly)?

Hello guys,
I applied for the SMP program last week, and wanted to know when should I expect to receive a decision regarding my application. Anyone has any idea how much do they take time to send out acceptances/rejections (roughly)?
I applied early June and got in 2 weeks later. It's variable based on how busy the team there is, it's a tight crew. Hearing from others, decisions are historically turned around quickly.

Hello guys,
I would say a couple of weeks (2-3).

Do you think this program is doable as a commuter student (I would have about ~1 hour commute to Cinci)? I asked Tracy, the program manager, the same question and she didn’t seem too keen on it but wanted to get a student perspective as well.

Doable? Technically yes. I woke up at 7 and slept at 10-11 most days except for before exams which were at least every couple weeks. Almost the entire day, including weekends were used for studying. I can't imagine how sustainable it would have been for me if I lost ~2 hours a day to commute. I personally wouldn't recommend it.

Appreciate your response! Looks like Cinci it is then. Want to set myself up for success and there’s no reason to make it harder lol

Reactions: 1 users
What percentage of your cohort gained admission into UCincy? Did most take a glide year and applied after the program ended?
You can see this information as it's publicly available. They list outcomes for each cohort in the "alumni" section

Applied 3/31 and accepted today!

Hello guys! Just got an interview from the UC SMP program. Is it the case that they accept/deny directly after we end the interview, or they reach back after a couple days? I've got my interview for next wednesday.

Are interviews common for the program? I recently applied and didn't hear anything yet so just wondering