Cincinnati vs VCU vs UCF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

duval12

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am trying to decide between these three schools, and unfortunately do not have second looks to help me make my decision. I would really appreciate any feedback or advice. I am from Florida, and plan accepting the HPSP scholarship, so cost will not be a factor for me (not here to get into a debate on military medicine). My interests are in family or internal medicine.

Cincy

pros
  • highest ranked of three, but does that really matter since its not top 20?
  • great facilities, large academic medical center attached
  • overall enjoyed the students and interviewees i interacted with on interview day
  • great research opportunities
  • P/F
  • high step 1 scores, but guess that doesn't matter as much now?
  • lived in florida my whole life, so cincy would be new experience
  • low cost of living
Cons
  • have no connections to city of Cincy
  • unsure how much I would like living in Cincy, midwest living ect
  • tests are given often (weekly/biweekly)
  • large class size (180 ish)
VCU

pros
  • liked the city of richmond and state of virginia
  • nice facilities, medical center attached
  • have a friend that is also starting there in the fall, would be able to room together
  • P/F
  • lived in florida my whole life, so richmond would be new experience
  • have an aunt and uncle in Norfolk (1 1/2 hrs away)
cons
  • interview day did not impress me that much, only talked to two students the whole day
  • large class size (180 ish)
UCF

pros
  • close to family (2 hrs away)
  • overall great interview day experience, students and admin were welcoming and seemed genuinely happy
  • lots of things to do in orlando
  • small class size (120 ish)
cons
  • grades
  • new school
  • disjointed 3rd year rotation schedule, rotating at different hospitals in the state that are not teaching hospitals
  • in Florida, so lack of the new experience i would get at other two schools

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm dropping UCF from the comparison. It seems like you are the least interested in it (you want a new experience) and P/F will improve your QoL significantly. I'm discounting costs given your scholarship.

Between Cincy and VCU it sounds like similar facility strength, Richmond > Cincy (you seem more reserved about Midwest vs. East coast), but Cincy has more opportunities (ranking, research). You have an established support system at VCU (family nearby and 1 friend), but were otherwise not as impressed by interview experience compared to Cincy.

Based on what you said, if you can overcome the Midwest bias I'd lean Cincy. Otherwise, it sounds like you'd be happier at VCU. Could you reach out to your friend at VCU and see what they think? Or current Cincy students from East coast moving to Midwest? Cincy is a fairly large city, I don't know how this was taken into account about your reservations of moving to the Midwest.

I have a friend at VCU who enjoys Richmond and the school.

Last edited:
I'm dropping UCF from the comparison. It seems like you are the least interested in it (you want a new experience) and P/F will improve your QoL significantly. I'm discounting costs given your scholarship.

Between Cincy and VCU it sounds like similar facility strength, Richmond > Cincy (you seem more reserved about Midwest vs. East coast), but Cincy has more opportunities (ranking, research). You have an established support system at VCU (family nearby and 1 friend), but were otherwise not as impressed by interview experience compared to Cincy.

Based on what you said, if you can overcome the Midwest bias I'd lean Cincy. Otherwise, it sounds like you'd be happier at VCU. Could you reach out to your friend at VCU and see what they think? Or current Cincy students from East coast moving to Midwest? Cincy is a fairly large city, I don't know how this was taken into account about your reservations of moving to the Midwest.

I have a friend at VCU who enjoys Richmond and the school.

Thank you very much for the reply and advice! Ya, just not sure how much I should weigh individual interview day experiences, as well as a moderate difference in ranking. I will definitely try reaching out to people at both schools.