Circulation question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Favzky

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did an Altius FL and I found a question about circulation that confused me. The answer is anchored on the fact that arteries do not have the ability to dilate. I have always thought that they did dilate. Have I been wrong all this while or is this information wrong?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I did an Altius FL and I found a question about circulation that confused me. The answer is anchored on the fact that arteries do not have the ability to dilate. I have always thought that they did dilate. Have I been wrong all this while or is this information wrong?

Thanks!!

Mind posting the question?

Smooth muscle allows for the diameter of arteries to constrict and dilate.

I know arteries are more rigid than veins because they need to withstand higher blood pressure.

Reactions: 1 user
Mind posting the question?

Smooth muscle allows for the diameter of arteries to constrict and dilate.
I do understand the explanation and I know that it is most unlikely for arteries to dilate in order for macrophages to get to an injury site. However, I want to make sure I am not missing a fact about dilation and constriction of arteries since the explanation says "Arteries do not have the ability to dilate." Is this just an error in explanation, or am I missing something?

Thank you!

Attachments

• Altuis question_2.jpg
    Altuis question_2.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 81
  • Altuis test.jpg
    Altuis test.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 88
Members don't see this ad :)
I do understand the explanation and I know that it is most unlikely for arteries to dilate in order for macrophages to get to an injury site. However, I want to make sure I am not missing a fact about dilation and constriction of arteries since the explanation says "Arteries do not have the ability to dilate." Is this just an error in explanation, or am I missing something?

Thank you!

Maybe it is a semantics thing...

Let's take the aorta for example. My understanding is during systole the aorta dilates as it swells with blood, then constricts/rebounds during diastole to push along the blood.

Maybe it is a semantics thing...

Let's take the aorta for example. My understanding is during systole the aorta dilates as it swells with blood, then constricts/rebounds during diastole to push along the blood.
Makes sense. At least I know for sure that arteries do dilate like you just explained. I think that the explanation given in that particular question may have been worded wrong or weird. Thank you tho!