Citizenship question but Philippine grad.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cowboybuboy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a naturalized citizen here in the US but I graduated college in the Philippines. Would it be a problem later on if I didn't declare my citizenship. I don't want to lie but I don't want to get charged the huge foreign student fee. Like I said I graduated college in the Philippines, lived my whole life there, went to the US and became a citizen.
What would be the best route here?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a naturalized citizen here in the US but I graduated college in the Philippines. Would it be a problem later on if I didn't declare my citizenship. I don't want to lie but I don't want to get charged the huge foreign student fee. Like I said I graduated college in the Philippines, lived my whole life there, went to the US and became a citizen.
Thanks!
dual citizenship! haha!

Thanks!
It's much easier to get dual citizenship. Call the nearest Phil. consulate/embassy in your jurisdiction and ask for the procedure.

Members don't see this ad :)
So if you're a dual citizen is the tuition fee less expensive?

^ I believe that as long as you graduated from a university outside of the Philippines you get charged the out-of-state fee (regardless of your citizenship - so it doesn't matter whether you are dual or not). After this fee, all tuition is the same for every student.

However, cowboyboy's situation is different since he finished college in the Philippines, so my guess is that he won't get charged that fee, but I recommend getting that dual citizenship anyway so you won't have to worry about getting a student visa and renewing it every six months.

Last edited:
I have a question, Does graduating as a filam in the Philippines with dual citizenship, have any future risks?

Such as residency matching
or
Not being able to get a job in a VA Hospital, something federal/government run.

I don't see any problems that I might face with residency matching if I have dual citizenship. I don't think it matters if you're dual or not.

Boy, oh boy....I step away from the forum for a couple of weeks and then nonsense like this appears.

For questions relating to Filipino citizenship refer to the Filipino immigration website. Google it.

Dual citizen...when you are in the US, you are US, but when you are in the PI, you are Pinoy.

Hawkeye22 made a statement about college tuition policies vis-a-vis overseas graduates. There is no such GENERAL policy, and as such, his statement is total nonsense.

Remember, all PI med schools are free to set their own tuition policies. And as such, there are wide differences in the ways different schools treat overseas grads/foreign students/Fil-ams.

It is incumbent upon the student to understand the policies of the individual school that he is interested in.

Generalities provided here as factual are invariably going to be wrong, and may cause much grief.

Boy, oh boy....I step away from the forum for a couple of weeks and then nonsense like this appears.

For questions relating to Filipino citizenship refer to the Filipino immigration website. Google it.

Dual citizen...when you are in the US, you are US, but when you are in the PI, you are Pinoy.

Hawkeye22 made a statement about college tuition policies vis-a-vis overseas graduates. There is no such GENERAL policy, and as such, his statement is total nonsense.

Remember, all PI med schools are free to set their own tuition policies. And as such, there are wide differences in the ways different schools treat overseas grads/foreign students/Fil-ams.

It is incumbent upon the student to understand the policies of the individual school that he is interested in.

Generalities provided here as factual are invariably going to be wrong, and may cause much grief.

My apologies if I provided the wrong info but I got them directly from the admissions office (both UERM and UST) when I visited the Philippines in January. The schools told me that as long as you finished college in a foreign country, you must pay their out-of-state fee - regardless of citizenship. I don't understand how you perceive that as "nonsense" but I guess I should have been more clear that my earlier statement only applied to UERM and UST med schools.

Last edited:
My apologies if I provided the wrong info but I got them directly from the admissions office (both UERM and UST) when I visited the Philippines in January. The schools told me that as long as you finished college in a foreign country, you must pay their out-of-state fee - regardless of citizenship. I don't understand how you perceive that as "nonsense" but I guess I should have been more clear that my earlier statement only applied to UERM and UST med schools.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
I have a question very similar to the original post, but it involves becoming a permanent resident of PI. I am planning on graduating from undergrad as a foreigner in PI and then continuing to medical school. If I am correct, within 10 years a foreigner can maintain a permanent resident status. While having this status, would they allow me to take the licensure exam and then practice in the PI?

I have a question very similar to the original post, but it involves becoming a permanent resident of PI. I am planning on graduating from undergrad as a foreigner in PI and then continuing to medical school. If I am correct, within 10 years a foreigner can maintain a permanent resident status. While having this status, would they allow me to take the licensure exam and then practice in the PI?
Only Filipino citizens are allowed to take the Philippine licensure exams and practice. I have classmates (Indians) who grew up in the Philippines but cannot take the local boards there. They are now practicing in the US.

I already answered this question on another thread, and despite reading that answer you post the question again.

But that's ok. I love reading your questions, with their wildass underlying ideas. Keep probing...you're find a viable scam. Don't give up yet.