City Safety Factor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is safety a significant factor to you?

• Yes

Votes: 74 43.0%
  • No

Votes: 66 38.4%
  • People should be afraid of me.

Votes: 32 18.6%

• Total voters
You don't give black people enough credit. The Rodney King case, involving a half a dozen police officers kicking and beating a defenseless man with clubs, is a lot different from defending yourself against a violent criminal. Most people, black or white, will agree that the criminal gets what he deserves if he gets hurt mugging someone.
Only part of the video shows that. The rest shows a violent man (possibly high on PCP) not caring about his own safety and resisting arrest for a DUI. Charging police officers and such as well.

Not to say that the sheer severity of the beating was justified, but it wasn't as clear cut as the officers just beating a black man for ****s and giggles.

Members don't see this ad.

Eh, only if the city has a rep worse than my surroundings.

Only part of the video shows that. The rest shows a violent man (possibly high on PCP) not caring about his own safety and resisting arrest for a DUI. Charging police officers and such as well.

:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
How bad is Cleveland? I wasn't there for very long, so I got experience case western and the airport.

Cleveland is still one of the most segregated cities in the US. The majority of the black population lives on the East Side. The neighborhoods surrounding Cleveland Clinic, Case Western, John Carroll etc are rock bottom toilets. The immediate areas around the campus are incredibly beautiful and you can sometimes forget walking 6 blocks in a certain direction will directly lead you into Darfur. My best advice is never leave University Heights if you're on foot and make sure to be aware of what's going on around you, especially at night. It's not uncommon for homeboys to drive around UH looking for easy targets at night and drive 2 mins back to their hole in the wall.

nemuri, i live a little below where you used in upper manhattan, im in the 130's, but i totally know what oyu mean. i want to go to nyu partly for the change in location.

Yeah man, I'm shooting for UF :) Gainesville is such drastic change for the better when it comes to the quality of people around you. NYU is awesome as well though I think that'd be a little too rich for my blood.

wow how sheltered some of yall are is funny lol

and I love the ignorant comments about "the ghetto" and what not...ahh I wish I could just think as simply as that....oh well :rolleyes:

I don't know man. I really don't see much being said about our beloved "ghetto" that contradicts reality.

And Snicket's right. I don't speed up as I pass the projects (literally) the next block over, I don't cross the street when there's someone "suspicious". I feel safe and people can see that I know what's going on. So far I have not been murdered/mugged/raped, so it seems to be working.
HAHA!! I love when people cross the street to avoid me. I mean in NY if you're Black or Puerto Rican...a lot of white people (mostly tourists) assume you must be gang related or something. lol So the funniest thing to me is when a woman clutches her purse when I walk by or when somebody crosses the street to avoid me. Stereotyping can be entertaining sometimes lol

HAHA!! I love when people cross the street to avoid me. I mean in NY if you're Black or Hispanic...a lot of white people (mostly tourists) assume you must be gang related or something. lol So the funniest thing to me is when a woman clutches her purse when I walk by or when somebody crosses the street to avoid me. Stereotyping can be entertaining sometimes lol

Fixed. It's all about the clothing though in my opinion. If someone were to see a black/hispanic or a white person ( there are so many ghetto white dudes in Cleveland it makes me chuckle ) with a doorag & new era baseball cap, baggy jeans with their boxers showing, white t shirt that reaches his knees, Timberland boots or Jordan sneakers, huge fake necklace, and an XXXL bubble coat walking like their shoulders are attached to their legs... Yes, I will cross the street to avoid this person.

Mind you if the exact same person were walking by me like a human being with clothes that fit and not looking like an extra in the back of a rap video, the thought wouldn't cross my mind that he'd try to rob me.

Last edited:
HAHA!! I love when people cross the street to avoid me. I mean in NY if you're Black or Puerto Rican...a lot of white people (mostly tourists) assume you must be gang related or something. lol So the funniest thing to me is when a woman clutches her purse when I walk by or when somebody crosses the street to avoid me. Stereotyping can be entertaining sometimes lol

Have people never seen a black person before??? I know they only make up like 12-15% of the population, but where I live, it's like 50/50 so I hardly see anyone react that way.

Safety is not a factor. In fact, I'd MUCH rather be in Baltimore than say Palo Alto (yawwwnn).

Just use your head.

At my school we get an email everyday or every other day about someone getting mugged/stabbed/shot-in-the-hand/etc.

And time and time again it's the same kinds of people doing the same stupid things. #1 most important thing in my opinion is dont look pathetic. I don't blame these people for robbing some of my peers, as they are basically asking for it walking down deserted alleys in their tucked plad shirts, with their belt at their bellybutton, talking on their iPhone with their face in their wallet counting how many twenties they have left.

I suspect medical school will have plenty more of these sheltered and awkward folk too, so rest assured, so long as you are halfway normal and street smart, there will be plenty other sickly wildebeests to get preyed on first. I couldn't imagine a safer place.

Last edited:
My wife and I were married just before we both started med school in a gritty urban location in the midwest. It was my job to secure housing for us, as we were coming from the west coast. Safety was absolutely at the top of my list. We ended up living all four years at an apartment complex in a working class neighborhood about four miles from the school. We were able to commute by bus or car to the school, which was about four miles away. We had no safety issues, which was nice, since some of our single classmates who lived near the school had interesting adventures with the local denizens.

Every year I see kids from small towns or the burbs move into the city. Every year they all get the same lecture about safety and callibrating a set of street smarts that will keep you out of trouble. And every year there invariably is a good portion of them who disregard the advice and get themselves hurt or killed.

Safety is definitely a major factor in deciding where I go to school. Street smart or not, why would anybody want to put themselves in such close proximity to nastyland everyday and have to constantly worry and look over their shoulder everywhere they go if they don't have to? What kind of quality of life is that? I guess people just have to learn the hard way.

Members don't see this ad :)

Not to say that the sheer severity of the beating was justified, but it wasn't as clear cut as the officers just beating a black man for ****s and giggles.

I didn't say they beat him for ****s and giggles. Nonetheless, they beat him beyond the limits of any reasonable exercise of force. It is disgraceful that the cops were not convicted of assault, and while I don't condone it, I can certainly understand the explosion it caused in the black community when 3 of the 4 officers were acquitted by a jury of 10 whites, an asian, and a latino.

This does not compare to a victim of an armed mugger or rapist defending himself with a firearm.

Yup, no blame for the robbers. Abso-freaking-lutely.

Just because someone acts stupid doesn't mean it should happen to them.

Of course there is blame for the robbers, but blame comes after the fact. Before the fact you need to protect yourself with some street smarts. It's not people's fault they got robbed, but there are definitely steps you can take to minimize your risk.

Safety is not a factor.

Just use your head.

This is generally true I'd say..except the surgeon I shadowed did his residency at (the now closed) MLK hospital in south central LA...After it got dark they wouldn't let anyone leave the premises and had places for those working late to stay the night. pretty bad neighborhood i guess :scared:. He has a lot of crazy homeboy ambulance and gang battle stories, talk about good training!

Safety is not a factor. In fact, I'd MUCH rather be in Baltimore than say Palo Alto (yawwwnn).

I would not want to try to live in Maryland or any other state that isn't on the coast.

I'm a single, fit, and male so I don't worry too much about safety. Though, I do keep a gun legally in my car( in Kentucky). As well, will carry concealed as soon as it is legal. However I would like to attend a safe place, if possible.

Maryland is on a coast but I guess it's not "the" coast. ;)

I would not want to try to live in Maryland or any other state that isn't on the coast.

Wow, it suprises me how many people carry/are open to carrying concealed firearms.

Fixed. It's all about the clothing though in my opinion. If someone were to see a black/hispanic or a white person ( there are so many ghetto white dudes in Cleveland it makes me chuckle ) with a doorag & new era baseball cap, baggy jeans with their boxers showing, white t shirt that reaches his knees, Timberland boots or Jordan sneakers, huge fake necklace, and an XXXL bubble coat walking like their shoulders are attached to their legs... Yes, I will cross the street to avoid this person.

Mind you if the exact same person were walking by me like a human being with clothes that fit and not looking like an extra in the back of a rap video, the thought wouldn't cross my mind that he'd try to rob me.

You obviously haven't been to NY lately man. Blacks and Ricans are rocking tighter shirts, fitted jeans with studded belts and some forces or jordans...that baggy **** and the sagging **** went out the door like two years ago (even though I haven't quite adapted to the new style completely)...

Basically you are generalizing just like they do...and to be honest, you are probably putting yourself at a much greater risk by crossing the street or avoiding these people...cause you'll probably piss them off and make them actually want to hurt you or rob you lol

Ever seen "Crash"? haha

Since when is MD not on the coast? lol...silly Californians. Sometimes I'm ashamed to be one.

Wow, it suprises me how many people carry/are open to carrying concealed firearms.

I think it's crazy not to be open to it. If you are attacked on the street, it will all be over before anyone even calls the cops. A crazed shooter could kill dozens of people before police arrive. This stuff happens all the time. Why wouldn't you want to be able to defend yourself?

I think it's crazy not to be open to it. If you are attacked on the street, it will all be over before anyone even calls the cops. A crazed shooter could kill dozens of people before police arrive. This stuff happens all the time. Why wouldn't you want to be able to defend yourself?

I just said I was suprised, not appalled :oops:

I was thinking about it too..and if someone pulls a gun on you, pulling your gun out would be about the stupidest thing you could do. a whip of your arm vs. the tap of their finger :(

I was thinking about it too..and if someone pulls a gun on you, pulling your gun out would be about the stupidest thing you could do. a whip of your arm vs. the tap of their finger :(

But do they have the balls to pull the trigger?

You obviously haven't been to NY lately man. Blacks and Ricans are rocking tighter shirts, fitted jeans with studded belts and some forces or jordans...that baggy **** and the sagging **** went out the door like two years ago (even though I haven't quite adapted to the new style completely)...

Basically you are generalizing just like they do...and to be honest, you are probably putting yourself at a much greater risk by crossing the street or avoiding these people...cause you'll probably piss them off and make them actually want to hurt you or rob you lol

Ever seen "Crash"? haha

Good movie with crazy people. Everyone in that movie was a douchebag except that Hispanic guy.

And there are still PLENTY of people around where I live who haven't caught up with the fashion changes apparently. Still dragging those pants.

True, but assuming they have a knife, or if you can bring your firearm out with your wallet. Any instance though its better to have it than to wish you had it.

If you pass people who scare you enough to make you cross the street on a regular basis, you probably have no business walking through the neighborhood at all. Get a ride. Or a big dog.

I'm suprised by all the street crossing method folks, seems like wearing a sign that says: "I'm scared of you and will gladly give up my wallet/purse."

If you pass people who scare you enough to make you cross the street on a regular basis, you probably have no business walking through the neighborhood at all. Get a ride. Or a big dog.

Haha When I was younger it used to bother me when people would cross the street, clutch their purse, or put their hand on their pocket where their wallet was just cause I was walking by. The funniest thing I've seen though was when I was standing next to a building waiting for my ride when another car pulled up...the car parks next to me and the driver looks at me then locks all of his doors lmao

I'm really not that intimidating lol

Wow being from Vancouver which is a major city in Canada I am just amazed by this thread. I cannot believe some of the posts about students being mugged,killed and having to worry about all that stuff. I am also amazed by the number of students carrying concealed weapons, the only people that do that here are gangsters and undercover cops, as you can tell by this post safety has never been an issue on campus, in the city or anywhere else.

All the time? Talk about perception bias. I agree with the poster who suggested that unless someone is trained in the use of that weapon, he/she shouldn't be using it ever. Too much room for stupid mistakes, especially in a moment of confusion and fear.

When i say coast i mean "west coast", not literally any coast.

All the time? Talk about perception bias. I agree with the poster who suggested that unless someone is trained in the use of that weapon, he/she shouldn't be using it ever. Too much room for stupid mistakes, especially in a moment of confusion and fear.

I was also the one who suggested proper training before considering packing a weapon. I guess it is perception bias, but in the areas around my medical school (and many medical schools in this country) there is violent crime every single day. Per state law, I cannot carry a concealed weapon, but I would sure feel a lot safer if I could.

When i say coast i mean "west coast", not literally any coast.
oh haha.. i had no idea.. and probably not many other people not on the west coast lol

oh haha.. i had no idea.. and probably not many other people not on the west coast lol
:laugh: I now realize that, I don't even think anyone calls it that besides anyone that knows me.

On the topic of being robbed/hurt/killed, be smart about how you go about things in public (Handling wallet/phone/blatantly staring at people) And if by chance you are the unlucky one to be robbed, you are just at the wrong place/wrong time.

Safety is not a factor.

Just use your head.

Simply not true. People here, many of whom I expect have never actually been in a rough situation in their lives, like to claim that some street savvy and well-placed observational skills are all that you need to be fine in a dangerous area. Keep in mind that there are many people who have more than their fair share of street smarts that still get the **** kicked out of them.

This isn't to say that some good sense won't go a long way towards keeping you out of of trouble, but don't try to suggest that there is no real danger for those who have some common sense.

Simply not true. People here, many of whom I expect have never actually been in a rough situation in their lives, like to claim that some street savvy and well-placed observational skills are all that you need to be fine in a dangerous area. Keep in mind that there are many people who have more than their fair share of street smarts that still get the **** kicked out of them.

This isn't to say that some good sense won't go a long way towards keeping you out of of trouble, but don't try to suggest that there is no real danger for those who have some common sense.

No, I agree. It can happen to anyone. But for the most part, when people on SDN refer to the "Safety" of medical school campuses, they are not deciding between whether or not to rent a room in Compton. They are often talking about the relative number of ritzy people to poor people. Poor people being the dangerous ones, from the "toilet"/"Darfur"/"hole in the wall" as Nemuri so eloquently put it.

Counter to what many here seem to believe, choosing to attend a school located in a position to serve the underserved is not choosing to immerse yourself in the tribulations of hood life, where getting your ass beat eventually is inevitable.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I'm surprised at the number of people not open to it. A thought exercise: What would happen to crime rates if every citizen were required to carry a firearm at all times and complete training class once per year?

An armed society is a polite society.

EDIT to make my post on topic:
Safety is important, but statistical safety of a city is much less important to me than cost of attendance and proximity to CA.

Last edited:

Ever seen "Crash"? haha

"Ricans" are not the only hispanic race walking the streets of New York City. I've seen plenty of ghetto dudes running around in bagging clothing still. Yes, tight is now the new thing in the ghetto and it doesn't really change who they are, what they do, or what they're willing to do.

Putting myself at a greater risk because I'm crossing the street? Maybe I'm turning a right at the next corner? Maybe I'm heading to the bodega/corner store? Maybe I'm entering the apt building on that side of the street? How do they know why I'm crossing the street? lol

as a female, i'm definitely concerned with city safety. I want to feel comfortable in my environment--med school will be hard enough without trying to keep myself safe all the time!

When choosing which schools to apply to, or if you have some acceptances, which one to attend, do you consider safety as a factor?

Maybe I'm a minority, but I think about these kinds of things for my wife. Plus, she's kind of obsessing over each little detail about my acceptances and beat me to the punch by finding out which cities are the safest.

Personally, in terms of safety, I think it's more for her because I always felt like I'd spend most of time on the medical school campus and wouldn't really get in that much trouble. Also, my state's capital (Little Rock, AR) seems to consistently be in the top 15 most dangerous cities (AR seems to be the fifth most dangerous state) so I almost have this opinion that we'll be safer wherever we move. Of course, it's kind of unsettling to see St. Louis as the top or runner-up most dangerous city in the U.S. :laugh:

Unfortunately, murders, rapes and robberies happen anywhere in the world. The safetly statistics of any city or town are meaningless if you happen to be the crime victim. No matter where you are, you have to be smart about your surroundings. I have had collegues who attended medical schools in all sorts of "dangerous" locations (DC, Baltimore, Chicago, Philadelphia, NYC, NO) and had no problems with crime.

Haha When I was younger it used to bother me when people would cross the street, clutch their purse, or put their hand on their pocket where their wallet was just cause I was walking by. The funniest thing I've seen though was when I was standing next to a building waiting for my ride when another car pulled up...the car parks next to me and the driver looks at me then locks all of his doors lmao

I'm really not that intimidating lol

the best are old people that cross the street, as if I wanted your purse you would be able to out run me because you crossed the street. :laugh:

Bums are more dangerous than your regular street guys 90% of the time.