City school or small town school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

City school or small town school?

• City school

Votes: 21 61.8%
  • Small town school

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • I don't care, I just wanted to get in somewhere!

Votes: 6 17.6%

• Total voters

MiataMike

PharmD
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had my Jefferson interview today and it was the first time I've been to Philadelphia. The thing about me is that I'm generally city averse. I hate the noise, the fact that I can't own a car without paying out the nose for it, can't get parking...I'm just not a city guy! :laugh: I grew up in Brooklyn till I was about 5 but since then I've been living in the suburbs. It's quiet and I like it that way!

After visiting Albany's new Vermont campus, I was smitten. Colchester's a small little town, nothing special, but it's situated in one of the most gorgeous places I have ever seen. There's breathtaking views of mountains, forests and Vermont's Lake Champlain right from the 3rd floor of the pharmacy school. At Jefferson, I get to look at concrete.

I was genuinely impressed with Albany's pharmacy school as well, whereas I was less so with Jefferson. Nothing against the school, just nothing had much of a "wow" factor for me. Nothing really made me excited about the possibility of spending the next 4 years here.

Anyway, Albany's already accepted me and I'm more than likely to go here. Assuming Jefferson takes me, its only appeal is that it's an hour away from home, whereas Albany is 6. There's also the unlikely chance Rutgers will want anything to do with me. I don't know if I'll change my mind at this point, especially since I already sent Albany my $500 deposit. :rolleyes:

At any rate, this thread is more to get your opinion: would you want to go to a pharmacy school deep in the heart of a city or would you prefer a small town school? Let's also assume that small town school does not automatically mean middle of nowhere (ala Appalachian). :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

A small town within 3 hours of a bustling metropolis...best of both worlds!

Members don't see this ad :)
Colchester's 5 minutes away from Burlington, so I can get the best of both too. :cool:

[YOUTUBE]0mPAO0R8uuQ[/YOUTUBE]

A small town girl living in a lonely world or a city boy born and raised in South Detroit? Up to you. :laugh:

I would go to Albany if I were you. At this point, I feel like the school itself if more important to me than location/closeness to home. I know I will be so busy that I will rarely have time to drive home even if it is only an hour or a few hours away, so I might as well go all out and move to the next state over if that is the school I am in love with.

It sounds like you like the location AND the school, so I would definitely say you should stick with Albany. Trust me... if you have doubts about the big city it normally gets worse. I'm from a small town 3 hours outside Miami, but I did my undergrad in Miami (not the metro area, but about 15 min south in a 'suburb'- but nearly ALL of Miami is metro basically... the school is literally on US1). I loved loved loved it for the first 3 years, but after a while the charm fades off anyway and it's just another place to live IMO.

BTW... am I really the ONLY person who voted for "I don't care I just want to get in somewhere" ? :laugh:

I can survive in any huge city after dealing with Miami for so long, but I like the small towns too. I'm flexible.

I like smaller towns with access to a large city...like Rochester, Minn.which is an hour away from Minneapolis. Right now I live in a town just outside of scottsdale that is quiet, serene, and has no long lines at the grocery store :) but I have to have the ability to make a short drive into the phx metro area to go to the movies, cultural events, farmer's market and be able to eat at all the ethnic restaurants near the University. So, I am not sure how to answer this question. I guess I like suburban living? UofA is in tucson which is a decently sized city but nowhere near the size of Phoenix metro.

i love the suburbs but i want to be within an hour of a major city.

there's tons of suburbs around philly (including south jersey), you can move there and take PATCO in if you want? the train stop is right in the middle of campus.

@MitaMike

After reading your post, it sounds like you already made your decision. You like albany more, I can tell, you know it, so dont doubt yourself and make your decision with confidence buddy!

I'm a city slicker myself, but I might have to sacrifice the location in order to get into a program that fits me better. Do whats right, over what you like. That's my opinion.

Good luck!!!!!

I grew up in the suburbs. I'm doing undergrad at a small university town. I want city now!

i've been in the suburbs all my life including my undergraduate. it's time for the city for myself. but i'm sure it's just a phase.