Civilian deferment? What to expect?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Septimusseverus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. USUHS MS4 here, Air Force. Our match came out yesterday and I was put into a civilian deferment spot.

The good news is that I had prepared for this possibility and have interviews at some great civ programs.

The bad news is that this turn of events is really depressing me. Haven’t been able to sleep last 2 days. I was one of those who truly loved the military. I loved USUHS and SAMMC and was so excited to stay active duty throughout residency. The thought of putting away my uniform for 4 years to get dusty in a closet is making me very sad.

I don’t really know what I’m looking for in this thread... maybe words of wisdom and advice? Are there benefits to doing civilian deferment? Does it hurt your military career and promotions later on? (Ie will the military trained guys get all the plum locations, etc)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all. USUHS MS4 here, Air Force. Our match came out yesterday and I was put into a civilian deferment spot.

The good news is that I had prepared for this possibility and have interviews at some great civ programs.

The bad news is that this turn of events is really depressing me. Haven’t been able to sleep last 2 days. I was one of those who truly loved the military. I loved USUHS and SAMMC and was so excited to stay active duty throughout residency. The thought of putting away my uniform for 4 years to get dusty in a closet is making me very sad.

I don’t really know what I’m looking for in this thread... maybe words of wisdom and advice? Are there benefits to doing civilian deferment? Does it hurt your military career and promotions later on? (Ie will the military trained guys get all the plum locations, etc)
Don't know what you're training in but this means that you will more likely see sicker patients and more of them, do more procedures, and have better resources to aid your graduate medical education.

You will miss the potential to make contacts but you will certainly have that opportunity when you come back on active duty.

You hit the jackpot, my friend. Congrats and good luck.

Absolutely correct. You hit the jackpot. Your training will be better, and you will finish up a better doctor. It sounds like you are "all-in" on the notion of perhaps being a career military doctor. If that's the case, I would say it is true that you will have fewer initial opportunities for military networking. And civilian-deferred guys have shown a pattern of not getting the plum locations as often as the guys who are plugged into the military. You will have ample opportunity, though, to reintegrate once you go active duty after residency. The larger issue I see for you, though, is this: there is a better-than-likely chance that you are viewing military medicine through rose-colored glasses. Even folks I have known who were more in love with the military at your stage than you currently are--- even those folks-- I have known to end up hating it and wanting to get out. And they have gotten out. What type of residency are you pursuing?

Reading your post, I am reminded of a guy I know who got a civilian deferment, went active duty afterwards, performed admirably, saved lives in combat, then got out and went into civilian practice. He was able to fulfill his desire to serve, but avoided the suboptimal pieces of military residency. It is a pattern oft-repeated by others.

Drive on. Get a good civilian residency in a field that you love. Don't look back one second. And for God's sake, don't lose sleep over this! I'd be popping open a bottle of champagne right now if I were you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with all of the above. This is absolutely the best-case scenario for you. I'm a USUHS grad who also got to do a deferred residency/fellowship. The pay decrease sucks, but the education at a top-name civilian institution will more than make up for it. And speaking from experience, your initial reaction is normal. After 4 years at USUHS, you've been at least somewhat institutionalized. It'll take some time to break out of the .gov/.mil mindset and adjust back to real/civilian life. And you'll pull your hair out when you come back into the service. Keep your chin up, soon you'll see things differently. Let me know if you have specific questions.

FTOS or deferred? Not getting residency years towards retirement basically determines your future (you’ll get out at the end of your obligation).

Military residency doesn’t really feel like the military. You’ll be fine...you’re not missing much. And as others mentioned, you may get a better education. Congrats!