Civilian Practice after Service

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhysicianHunter

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear Military Medical Professionals,

As a 17 yr USAF recruiter, I understand the difficult transition from military life to a civilian one. As a physician transitions, many have lost touch with their civilian colleagues and network, making their civilian practice search frustrating. I want to provide a few tools that you may find helpful as you prepare to leave the military.

Below is the recent AGMA compensation survey. There are variables and negotiating room, but typically, a CEO or principal owner knows the standard and will try not to exceed (in base pay) the compensation beyond his/her geographic area. Our link below may be of some use towards answering your questions:

AGMA Physician Compensation Survey

When you start looking for your first practice, knowing how to interview will be the difference between you or your competitor landing the job.
We place over 30 physicians a year. Our physicians have consistently told us that our tips have made the difference when interviewing with CEOs, in-house recruiters, and colleagues.

Telephone interview tips

Face-to-face interview tips

All the best,

Members don't see this ad.

PhysicianHunter said:
Dear Military Medical Professionals,

As a 17 yr USAF recruiter, I understand the difficult transition from military life to a civilian one. As a physician transitions, many have lost touch with their civilian colleagues and network, making their civilian practice search frustrating. I want to provide a few tools that you may find helpful as you prepare to leave the military.

Below is the recent AGMA compensation survey. There are variables and negotiating room, but typically, a CEO or principal owner knows the standard and will try not to exceed (in base pay) the compensation beyond his/her geographic area. Our link below may be of some use towards answering your questions:

AGMA Physician Compensation Survey

When you start looking for your first practice, knowing how to interview will be the difference between you or your competitor landing the job.
We place over 30 physicians a year. Our physicians have consistently told us that our tips have made the difference when interviewing with CEOs, in-house recruiters, and colleagues.

Telephone interview tips

Face-to-face interview tips

All the best,

I guess it was only a matter of time before a Head Hunter made his way into this forum. The transition from military to civilian is not all that difficult. It is important to talk to those physicians who have done it however, and this forum is a good place to start.

Remember, civilian head hunters, just like military recruiters are in it for themselves. Not that using a recruiter is a bad thing necessarily, I landed a great position through a nationwide recruiting firm, you just need to be cautious and know what you are doing. Assuming new employment is a huge decision, alot like entering into a marital relationship, and requires a great deal of research and careful planning.

island doc said:
I guess it was only a matter of time before a Head Hunter made his way into this forum. The transition from military to civilian is not all that difficult. It is important to talk to those physicians who have done it however, and this forum is a good place to start.

Remember, civilian head hunters, just like military recruiters are in it for themselves. Not that using a recruiter is a bad thing necessarily, I landed a great position through a nationwide recruiting firm, you just need to be cautious and know what you are doing. Assuming new employment is a huge decision, alot like entering into a marital relationship, and requires a great deal of research and careful planning.

I'm sure the forum appreciates your advice. I could make the assumption that physicians are "in it for themselves" as well, but then I would be generalizing wouldn't I?

And seeing how you feel so secure in generalizing a complete stranger or group of professionals, it makes me wonder how much value is in your advice? Do you make diagnosis' in similar "shoot from the hip" fashion?

Had you taken the time to ask me questions first, you would have found:
1. We, the reputable recruiters who prescribe to the code of ethics of the National Association of Physician Recruiters (NAPR), never charge a fee from our clients (our compensation is from the employer).
2. We provide custom placement matching, geographic needs assessment, and CV preparation FREE OF CHARGE to our clients. When was the last time you did Pro Bono work?
3. My call is 1:1, 24/7 for my physicians. I work my rear-end off for each placement I make.
4. While I haven't earned my M.D., and am privileged to work with professionals as yourself, I have earned my Certified Medical Staff Recruiter certification, making me the very in-house recruiter that would pass on your CV or phone interview in lieu of a physician with better "bedside manners".
5. Again, there's no way to compare to you Island Doc, but I have a bachelor's in Human Resources, and my Professional in Human Resources certificate from Cornell. My wife has a MBA from a reputable Southern college and was the in-house recruiter that probably hired a physician (or two) over you. Hardly the "headhunter" types you generalize about.

Physicians, if you manage to cut through the B.S. of your colleague, some of his points are valid. You have to make your recruiters work. Be up-front and honest with them as you delve into your needs, both personally and professionally. As a recruiter, I am here to find the practice opportunities that best suit you. My residents tell me they are taught all the clinical skills in school possible, but hardly any business savvy about the medical world. We are here to help you on your way to becoming better business people.

As military physicians continue to practice, they tangent even further from the civilian methodology and models, because their payor mix is zero, they practice medicine in a completely different way (look at all the gripes on this board, everyone of them valid), and the mission is different.

Military physicians exiting for the civilian world need a trained, certified professional to assist them, not a headhunter as my friend generalizes.
There is a huge difference.

My thread was one of pure assistance to fellow military brothers and sisters. Judging from your past responses to other threads Island Doc, I feel like I'm part of the family now.

Members don't see this ad :)
island doc said:

Somebody should frame this post. Trust no-one. Head hunters are not your friend. They are a conduit to the unknown frontier of a new job. Only real way to know the scoop on a job is to have a mole/buddy/acquaintance.

Nothing like SPAM on a physician board. Where's my pop-up blocker?

We're using headhunters right now to find recruits, and I hate them.

They are greedy bastards preying on both groups and physicians.

Groups don't always have to resources to contact people who are looking, and people who are looking aren't always sure where to look.

militarymd said:
We're using headhunters right now to find recruits, and I hate them.

They are greedy bastards preying on both groups and physicians.

Groups don't always have to resources to contact people who are looking, and people who are looking aren't always sure where to look.

My understanding is that they do not make any money unless they are credited with making a placement. I think that they work on commission, and get a huge sum of $$$ when they are successful. Perhaps this is why it is such a competitive business. I have been here six months and I am still getting spammed all over the place and still getting phone calls. I don't know how to get them off my back.