CK delayed probably til November... what to do re: the match

Started by Dark Roast
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dark Roast

Caffeinated and Proud
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Afternoon everyone, just would like to get everyone's thoughts on the following:

First off, US citizen IMG via a European school, all US clinical rotations (all but two in NYC), Step 1 at 205, CS passed as of last March, graduating in April.

Basically, I'm being held up by the Step 2 comp because of timing because of when it's offered by my school, and because of a previous failed attempt pushing everything back. Tentatively it looks like the earliest I could retake (and then schedule CK right after) would be end of Octoberish which would get me my grades some point in November.

I know I'm a mediocre test taker, but I've been trying to compensate as much as I can via the extracurriculars. I have 4 (possibly 5 by application time) research posters, 1 journal article submitted, a boatload of other volunteer work, AMSA work, and organizational work. I've got strong letters, 3/4 from chairs, 2 from path chairs, one of whom is supposedly trying to set me up with his former program director at the CAP meeting. Have a strong background in path exposure growing up because of family and been using that as the main basis of my personal statement so far. Currently doing a sub-I at one of my top choice programs this month and loving it, getting good responses from the residents and faculty so far.

So essentially my question is this: knowing I won't be able to get CK scores until well into the interview season, do I still go ahead and apply on opening day seeing as my ERAS is pretty much already done? I've got 90 path programs (filtered via Match-A-Resident) and I don't particularly want to apply outside of path. Between the sub-I and my various networking connections I'd like to think I have enough leads on that front. At this point, I feel like sitting out a year would be more harmful than just shooting the works and seeing what happens, but that's been the point I've been trying to figure out. I feel like other than the obvious cost of applying there's really no reason to not apply, as I can't imagine applying again after not matching would be any worse than explaining why you sat out a year, but again, I'm not sure.

Thanks for any help you can give.
 
Hi there,

I am an old IMG in the same boat, will be applying late by the end of November. With 140 Path programs ~ $4000 (dang) to throw out in case my score comes back decent.

We only need 1 interview to be matched, so pushing you CK hard is the only hope for now.

Good luck,