Clarification on URM status

Discussion in 'Underrepresented in Healthcare' started by SpringsHTTR, Mar 1, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. SpringsHTTR

SpringsHTTR

Oct 14, 2016
    Hey guys,

I just wanted a clarification on what Hispanics are and which are not considered URM.

I myself am Central American, specifically Panamanian. I called EVMS admissions today and was told that No Central Americans are considered URM which came as a shock and that only Mexican Americans are URM.

I just want to clarify if this holds true throughout all programs or if this is a school by school decision.

Also for myself personally I am curious to see if I was "wrong" for signing up for MedMar even though I am Latino, come from a low income/economically disadvantagedo family, and am first generation. EVMS admissions made me feel as such.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. futuredoctahhh

futuredoctahhh

Jan 19, 2017
    1. MedMar says you can signup if you identify as Latino (which you do), so you weren't wrong!
    2. According to MedMar and AAMC, the URM definition is school specific. This means you should either check the school's website (though it's not always listed) or call admissions.

Hope this helps!

SpringsHTTR likes this.
  4. SpringsHTTR

SpringsHTTR

Oct 14, 2016
    Thanks for the reply. That is helpful!

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

5. WhittyPsyche

WhittyPsyche 2+ Year Member

Mar 15, 2013
    MDApps:
    The vast majority of schools will recognize Mexicans and Puerto Ricans only. I imagine there are other patterns, which are school specific just as some Cali schools recognize certain Asian ethnicities. Although you were fine with MedMar. I would caution with identifying as URM in AMCAS. Check disadvantaged, of course. State your race/ethnicity, and country of origin and let the schools decide what to do with it.

OchemOficionado likes this.
  6. ShinySephiroth

ShinySephiroth Determined 2+ Year Member

Apr 10, 2013
    An MD school in Arizona I called told me as long as you identify as Latino that they count that for whatever that's worth

7. Lexdiamondz

Lexdiamondz 5+ Year Member

Dec 16, 2011

Are you a Black Panamanian or Mestizo/Amerindian/European?