Clarification on URM status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpringsHTTR

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just wanted a clarification on what Hispanics are and which are not considered URM.

I myself am Central American, specifically Panamanian. I called EVMS admissions today and was told that No Central Americans are considered URM which came as a shock and that only Mexican Americans are URM.

I just want to clarify if this holds true throughout all programs or if this is a school by school decision.

Also for myself personally I am curious to see if I was "wrong" for signing up for MedMar even though I am Latino, come from a low income/economically disadvantagedo family, and am first generation. EVMS admissions made me feel as such.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

1. MedMar says you can signup if you identify as Latino (which you do), so you weren't wrong!
2. According to MedMar and AAMC, the URM definition is school specific. This means you should either check the school's website (though it's not always listed) or call admissions.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I just wanted a clarification on what Hispanics are and which are not considered URM.

I myself am Central American, specifically Panamanian. I called EVMS admissions today and was told that No Central Americans are considered URM which came as a shock and that only Mexican Americans are URM.

I just want to clarify if this holds true throughout all programs or if this is a school by school decision.

Also for myself personally I am curious to see if I was "wrong" for signing up for MedMar even though I am Latino, come from a low income/economically disadvantagedo family, and am first generation. EVMS admissions made me feel as such.

Thanks.

The vast majority of schools will recognize Mexicans and Puerto Ricans only. I imagine there are other patterns, which are school specific just as some Cali schools recognize certain Asian ethnicities. Although you were fine with MedMar. I would caution with identifying as URM in AMCAS. Check disadvantaged, of course. State your race/ethnicity, and country of origin and let the schools decide what to do with it.

Reactions: 1 user
An MD school in Arizona I called told me as long as you identify as Latino that they count that for whatever that's worth

Hey guys,

Thanks.

Are you a Black Panamanian or Mestizo/Amerindian/European?