Clarify please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

connie95

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me what the average GPA/MCAT score is for successful medical school applicants? What is considered competitive? I keep hearing different viewpoints and am not sure what the correct answer is...

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone please tell me what the average GPA/MCAT score is for successful medical school applicants? What is considered competitive? I keep hearing different viewpoints and am not sure what the correct answer is...
The median MCAT for a successful matriculate last year was 33.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's hard to say as it varies from school to school and person to person. But a good GPA to aim for is a 3.5 and MCAT of 30.

Huh so I guess I was freaking out for nothing...my current overall GPA trend is 3.63 freshman year and 3.8 sophomore year and that's not including summer classes. Everyone around me acted like I was worthless for not getting a 4.0 and I truly felt like I wouldn't stand a chance at med school :( So this is nice to hear!

The median MCAT for a successful matriculate last year was 33.

Is this for all schools? Or does the median MCAT score vary as well? (for example, would a 33 MCAT be too low to be considered for a top 20 school, say JHU, WASHU or UVA?)

Huh so I guess I was freaking out for nothing...my current overall GPA trend is 3.63 freshman year and 3.8 sophomore year and that's not including summer classes. Everyone around me acted like I was worthless for not getting a 4.0 and I truly felt like I wouldn't stand a chance at med school :( So this is nice to hear!
Your gpa is fine.

Is this for all schools? Or does the median MCAT score vary as well? (for example, would a 33 MCAT be too low to be considered for a top 20 school, say JHU, WASHU or UVA?)
The MSAR will give you the median stats for accepted students at each school. Some of them are much higher than this. Many are lower. AAMC reported the overall statistical median for last year's accepted students to be 33.

The last time I checked, the 10th% at Wash U was 34.

Your major is also considered, as well as your school's tendency for grade inflation/deflation.

Your major is also considered, as well as your school's tendency for grade inflation/deflation.
Majors are considered very little (if at all).
There may be minor accommodations for known grade inflation or deflation but this generally relates to feeder schools well known to a particular medical school.
For the most part, your gpa is your gpa.

Hmm...well I don't attend a top UG or anything (I believe my school is ranked in the 140's range in US News and it's a public, state university). I wouldn't say it's easy to get all A's, but I guess that differs based on people's opinions. Does it matter a lot if you are doing a major/minor vs. just a major? I'm currently pursuing B.S. in Neuroscience and am not too sure on whether I really want to do a minor.

That's the medial for all schools. some schools have lower scores and some higher

Members don't see this ad :)
Majors are considered very little (if at all).
There may be minor accommodations for known grade inflation or deflation but this generally relates to feeder schools well known to a particular medical school.
For the most part, your gpa is your gpa.

Thanks for the info gyngyn! Could you please elaborate on what you mean by feeder schools? How would I know if I'm currently attending a "feeder school?"

Hmm...well I don't attend a top UG or anything (I believe my school is ranked in the 140's range in US News and it's a public, state university). I wouldn't say it's easy to get all A's, but I guess that differs based on people's opinions. Does it matter a lot if you are doing a major/minor vs. just a major? I'm currently pursuing B.S. in Neuroscience and am not too sure on whether I really want to do a minor.
We really don't care about your major. A minor matters even less.
We care that you distinguish yourself in your chosen field of study.

The MSAR will give you the median stats for accepted students at each school. Some of them are much higher than this. Many are lower. AAMC reported the overall statistical median for last year's accepted students to be 33.

The last time I checked, the 10th% at Wash U was 34.

I see...I'm taking my MCAT this August so I guess I'll just give it my best shot without worrying too much about the outcome of the results. That'll just stress me out more. I also can't wait to buy the MSAR!

Thanks for the info gyngyn! Could you please elaborate on what you mean by feeder schools? How would I know if I'm currently attending a "feeder school?"
Some states have only a few medical schools and an IS bias. Over time, the medical school becomes familiar with the candidates from certain places especially if these places have historically provided them with good students.

Your pre-health advising office should be able to tell you where candidates like you have been accepted in the past.

Reactions: 1 user

Search the net or ask your adviser if your schools is generally known for grade inflation/deflation.

Your major, as well as degree, sounds like a good choice/not known for being easy.

No, schools generally do not care if you have a major/minor, or even double major. However, taking classes outside of your major/sciences would be beneficial, as long as they're not obviously grade booster classes. Neuroscience+Psych/Bio will not really impress many people. Neuroscience+English/History/etc. will be viewed more favorably, yet should not be the main/only reason why you're double majoring.

Some states have only a few medical schools and an IS bias. Over time, the medical school becomes familiar with the candidates from certain places especially if these places have historically provided them with good students.

So it's not necessarily a bad thing? I think I'm at one of those schools then, because every year schools like Georgetown, GW, and VCU take a couple of students from my school through an early assurance program. Unfortunately, I was not eligible for this due to my transfer student status =/

So it's not necessarily a bad thing? I think I'm at one of those schools then, because every year schools like Georgetown, GW, and VCU take a couple of students from my school through an early assurance program. Unfortunately, I was not eligible for this due to my transfer student status =/
A feeder school is a good thing!

N=1 but me having a non-science major was not an issue in my admissions process.

Can anyone comment on how the 33 is calculated? As in is it rounded at all? I know for a lot of the schools I was applying to, the 90th, 10th and median MCATs were highly inflated and did not match the websites of the schools themselves. I don't find the MSAR's data to be 100% reliable

Also if they round each section before adding the total MCAT score together, that rounding makes the score even farther away from the true median.

Can anyone comment on how the 33 is calculated? As in is it rounded at all? I know for a lot of the schools I was applying to, the 90th, 10th and median MCATs were highly inflated and did not match the websites of the schools themselves. I don't find the MSAR's data to be 100% reliable
All scores for accepted students are available to the AAMC.
The AAMC independently calculates and reports the data in the MSAR.
Variability occurs when the school puts the mean score or gives scores for matriculates instead of accepted students or some other completely different metric on the website (or in promotional materials).

I read from a premed book that the best is to have:

(cGPA x 10) + MCAT > 65

Would be a safe bet.