Clarify the challenge/obstacle prompts for me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pt92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the purpose of this prompt? I can see one of two things:

1. to assess problem solving skills that will be useful in school and as a doctor.
2. to see if I have enough emotional stability and a support system behind me in case I get overwhelmed by med school.

I find it hard to believe it would be the second one, but I don't want to completely miss the point. I was going to write about a complicated school project, which clearly fits for #1 but not for #2.

Members don't see this ad.

What is the purpose of this prompt? I can see one of two things:

1. to assess problem solving skills that will be useful in school and as a doctor.
2. to see if I have enough emotional stability and a support system behind me in case I get overwhelmed by med school.

I find it hard to believe it would be the second one, but I don't want to completely miss the point. I was going to write about a complicated school project, which clearly fits for #1 but not for #2.
I've always thought of it as this: med school is really tough, academically and emotionally. Adcoms know this. Asking you about a previous challenge and how you addressed it is one way for them to determine if you learn from challenges and roll with them, or either A) have inadequate coping mechanisms, or B) get overwhelmingly challenged by small things.

I think it can also be a matter of personality. A very stereotypical response - exaggerated here obviously - to this kind of question is "I went on a [paid] volunteer expedition to X developing country. People there were very poor and different from me, but I adjusted well, probably because I knew that I would return to my luxurious life in the USA in two weeks. I learned that it is hard to be poor."

The sort of thing that you consider to be your "greatest challenge" can say a lot about you. It doesn't have to be the death of a parent or a diagnosis of terminal illness, but it should be something that shows you have an appreciation for what it means to be challenged. Qualities like consideration and introspection can be pretty clearly demonstrated in this sort of essay (or, on the contrary, they can be shown to be lacking in an applicant).

That's just my pre-med interpretation though. I really have no idea what adcoms are thinking. Feel free to ignore or integrate my opinion as you see fit :)

Also I realize that I didn't totally address your question. :) Naturally, prompts like, "what is the greatest challenge you have faced and how did you deal with it?" versus "what is a challenge you have faced and how did you deal with it?" would probably merit different responses.

The second version of the prompt seems to allow analysis of a more minor situation, something like a class project. As far as I can see, you could take that prompt in a lot of different directions: show your analytical skills, show your interpersonal skills (if the challenge was in a group project or collaborative situation), show that you appreciate challenge in your coursework. Anything that you think would demonstrate a particular strength of yours.

Again, though, same disclaimer:
I really have no idea what adcoms are thinking. Feel free to ignore or integrate my opinion as you see fit :)