Program-Specific Info / Q's Clarkson University Occupational Therapy Great Interview and Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otsavestheworld2019

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! For anyone about to embark on the terrifying journey of applying to occupational therapy programs I would like to give my review/advice on some of the things I went through. I applied to several programs and was wait listed which can be very disheartening and make the future seem uncertain. I had interviews at 3 of them, but Clarkson was the only one that I had one on one interviews with the professors.
I was accepted into the Clarkson program, and am happy it worked out this way. The professors were very personable and wanted to get to know me as a person during my interview. The small cohort size has been nice and makes it easy to work with my peers. Everyone is friendly and willing to help and support each other.
I know there was a negative review about the program on here, but the program was new and sometimes a school isn't the right fit for a person. Clarkson is officially an accredited OT program now and so far I have only seen great organization and care from the professors! I have had no issue in getting in touch with any of them and they all have an open door policy. I feel like I am apart of a family and it has been great.
Everyone here is excited and passionate about this profession and there are technological and social resources here I haven't seen at other schools that I know will greatly benefit my future career as an OT. If anyone has any questions, concerns, or comments about this program please feel free to contact to me!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hello! For anyone about to embark on the terrifying journey of applying to occupational therapy programs I would like to give my review/advice on some of the things I went through. I applied to several programs and was wait listed which can be very disheartening and make the future seem uncertain. I had interviews at 3 of them, but Clarkson was the only one that I had one on one interviews with the professors.
I was accepted into the Clarkson program, and am happy it worked out this way. The professors were very personable and wanted to get to know me as a person during my interview. The small cohort size has been nice and makes it easy to work with my peers. Everyone is friendly and willing to help and support each other.
I know there was a negative review about the program on here, but the program was new and sometimes a school isn't the right fit for a person. Clarkson is officially an accredited OT program now and so far I have only seen great organization and care from the professors! I have had no issue in getting in touch with any of them and they all have an open door policy. I feel like I am apart of a family and it has been great.
Everyone here is excited and passionate about this profession and there are technological and social resources here I haven't seen at other schools that I know will greatly benefit my future career as an OT. If anyone has any questions, concerns, or comments about this program please feel free to contact to me!
I just got an email saying I got accepted to their program, but I had no interview. I thought Clarkson University required one?

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI I am currently in the program and my classmate was sexually assaulted by her fieldwork supervisor. The fieldwork coordinator Cindy knew about this and still told her to continue at this site until an investigation was completed. What kind of person knows they are being sexually assaulted and makes them continue there? Cindy is the worst fieldwork coordinator and places students based on if she likes you or not. Everyone in my class complains about her and a lot of us are mad that she messed up our placements. If you are okay with being sexually assaulted and having your school force you to continue under these circumstances then by all means attend the program. Don't be stupid people, do your research. If the faculty and program is so great then why were there so many terminations and faculty quitting? This program is very expensive and I wish I knew how messed up this program was before attending. Think about it..why would the faculty show you their flaws? Of course they are going to sell it to you because they have low applicants and need your money to keep the program running. Why would the program have low applicants? Have you researched how many students applied and how many they've accepted? Why would a good program accept anyone and everyone? On another note, I heard there is a law suit in progress in regards to another matter.

FYI I am currently in the program and my classmate was sexually assaulted by her fieldwork supervisor. The fieldwork coordinator Cindy knew about this and still told her to continue at this site until an investigation was completed. What kind of person knows they are being sexually assaulted and makes them continue there? Cindy is the worst fieldwork coordinator and places students based on if she likes you or not. Everyone in my class complains about her and a lot of us are mad that she messed up our placements. If you are okay with being sexually assaulted and having your school force you to continue under these circumstances then by all means attend the program. Don't be stupid people, do your research. If the faculty and program is so great then why were there so many terminations and faculty quitting? This program is very expensive and I wish I knew how messed up this program was before attending. Think about it..why would the faculty show you their flaws? Of course they are going to sell it to you because they have low applicants and need your money to keep the program running. Why would the program have low applicants? Have you researched how many students applied and how many they've accepted? Why would a good program accept anyone and everyone? On another note, I heard there is a law suit in progress in regards to another matter.

Is this information public? How would we find out about it?

I too got accepted. Maybe no interviews this year? I put down the deposit.

I also was accepted without an interview! Did you get any further information after putting your deposit down? Is there an orientation day or anything specific before the program starts?

Hi! I was recently accepted to the program and I'm super excited!! Any further information you are willing to share I would love to hear more about it!

Reactions: 1 user
I also was accepted without an interview! Did you get any further information after putting your deposit down? Is there an orientation day or anything specific before the program starts?
Exciting! I received an email saying that they would be in touch with us in a couple of months about orientation and other info. Were you recently accepted? I received an email back in November. Just wondering the timeline of things.

Last edited:
I am a first year in the program and can attest to how truly wonderful Clarkson's MSOT program is! Cindy is also a phenomenal fieldwork advisor who truly takes into account every student's wishes and does her best to accommodates everyone despite being located in a rather rural area. If anyone has any questions about the program do not hesitate to message me! I would be happy to talk to anyone about how amazing this program truly is!

I am sorry to hear about that. I can’t imagine what that person is going through or how difficult that may be. In regards to how many applicants or people accepted that information is not commonly released by any school. We just got fieldwork assignments and so far everything has gone smoothly.

Hello! I’m currently in the program and after putting down my deposit they contacted us a month after. Orientation usually starts a week before classes where they go through the rules and requirements of the program as well as Clarkson standards.

Hi! I was recently accepted to the program and I'm super excited!! Any further information you are willing to share I would love to hear more about it!
Hi! So far I have really loved this program. We as a cohort are really close and the professors really do care about how well you are doing in school as well how you’re doing overall. We just got placements for fieldwork and so far everyone has been placed where they wanted to go. I feel very prepared to start this round of fieldwork in what they have taught us. There is a big emphasis on client-centered practice which has been really great to learn about. If you have any other more specific questions please feel free to reach out to me! I’ll be on here more trying to get back to people!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am sorry to hear about that. I can’t imagine what that person is going through or how difficult that may be. In regards to how many applicants or people accepted that information is not commonly released by any school. We just got fieldwork assignments and so far everything has gone smooth.

I am a first year in the program and can attest to how truly wonderful Clarkson's MSOT program is! Cindy is also a phenomenal fieldwork advisor who truly takes into account every student's wishes and does her best to accommodates everyone despite being located in a rather rural area. If anyone has any questions about the program do not hesitate to message me! I would be happy to talk to anyone about how amazing this program truly is!
How didn't you start getting connected with people in your cohort? Also how how is housing there? Do places go fast? thanks!

I meant : how did you guys get connected with your cohort? Haha whoops

They sent out an email with everyones name over the summer and we all exchanged facebook links, and made a group on facebook! There are a bunch of options for housing. Collegiate village of potsdam is where i live, and I love it. It's more expensive than some other apartment complexes but everything is included minus electricity. All the town houses are new, and there's a community center that has a gym, and a printing center (all you have to do is bring paper, ink is free!) they also always have free food. Some people live in swan's landing, and others have rented out a house! There are plenty of options. Overall the city of potsdam is pretty small, but with it being a town of 4 colleges its filled with young people. Lots of things to do outdoors, hiking, kayaking, camping, skiing etc. Lake Placid is only about 1.5 hours away and its a really fun town. Ottawa and Montreal are only 2 hours away, as well. Things are spread out but there is plenty to do ontop of school! I love it up here.

They sent out an email with everyones name over the summer and we all exchanged facebook links, and made a group on facebook! There are a bunch of options for housing. Collegiate village of potsdam is where i live, and I love it. It's more expensive than some other apartment complexes but everything is included minus electricity. All the town houses are new, and there's a community center that has a gym, and a printing center (all you have to do is bring paper, ink is free!) they also always have free food. Some people live in swan's landing, and others have rented out a house! There are plenty of options. Overall the city of potsdam is pretty small, but with it being a town of 4 colleges its filled with young people. Lots of things to do outdoors, hiking, kayaking, camping, skiing etc. Lake Placid is only about 1.5 hours away and its a really fun town. Ottawa and Montreal are only 2 hours away, as well. Things are spread out but there is plenty to do ontop of school! I love it up here.
Thanks! As far as your school schedule: do you have time for a part time job or is it pretty intense?

Also, how big is your class? Are you combined with other classes?

Thanks! As far as your school schedule: do you have time for a part time job or is it pretty intense?
Our class size is 17. We are not combined with other classes, just our cohort. I personally don’t work but some people do have jobs. It’s hard but not impossible. There are a few nannying/babysitting jobs in the area that if you can get the right schedule could be manageable! It’s really a matter if you’re good with time management but I would say if you’re good with it it would be no problem to work if need be.

Hi! I just got accepted to Clarkson and was wondering who else is attending for the Fall 2018 cohort? :)

Does anybody know if there is a facebook group for the upcoming class?

Does anyone know the total cost of the program?

I don’t think there is one yet. I couldn’t find one.
Yeah, me neither. I wonder if someone from the school makes one for us or if we need to make one? I am anxious to start getting connected with everyone!

Last edited:
I just emailed the school to find out when we should be getting some more information and they said at the beginning of June, just so you all know (if you don't already :))

Do you think it is possible to share our names and Facebook info on this site? I'm excited to meet the cohort and potentially find roommates!

Reactions: 1 users
Do you think it is possible to share our names and Facebook info on this site? I'm excited to meet the cohort and potentially find roommates!
Ditto! I think there is a way to private message. let me check!

I recently got offered a seat a Clarkson, are there any more insights on the school?

Hi guys! I was just Accepted this morning for their fall 2019 program, I mean starting fall 2019! Anyone care to fill me in on what the program at Clarkson University is like?? I never heard of this school & would love to know more

Hello everyone!

I got accepted to Clarkson auniversity last monday! I have 30 days to pay the deposit fee... I need some insights, should I go for this program??

Hello everyone!

I got accepted to Clarkson auniversity last monday! I have 30 days to pay the deposit fee... I need some insights, should I go for this program??
Hi there, did you have an interview? If so, would you be able to share your experience? Thank you!

I recently got offered a seat a Clarkson, are there any more insights on the school?
Hello! Did you have an interview? If so, would you be able to share your experience? Thank you!

I just got accepted to Clarkson for 2020! Any insights from anyone would be great :)

Reactions: 1 users
I just got accepted to Clarkson for 2020! Any insights from anyone would be great :)
Hi! I did as well!! What have you heard about the program? I can't seem to find additional info anywhere!

@BPOT2020 @KavOT I saw that there was a group of FB for their SOTA (their student OT organization) and honestly was REALLY impressed. From what I see, there are a lot of cohort bonding opportunities. I still would love to hear first hand experiences though!

Are you both planning to attend or are you still waiting to hear from other schools? The school is so expensive!

@BPOT2020 @KavOT I saw that there was a group of FB for their SOTA (their student OT organization) and honestly was REALLY impressed. From what I see, there are a lot of cohort bonding opportunities. I still would love to hear first hand experiences though!

Are you both planning to attend or are you still waiting to hear from other schools? The school is so expensive!
That's good to know!! I'm gonna look for the group and skim through it. I'm definitely waiting to hear back but I'm worried I won't have heard back from many by the time the deposit is due. Do you know how much their tuition is?

That's good to know!! I'm gonna look for the group and skim through it. I'm definitely waiting to hear back but I'm worried I won't have heard back from many by the time the deposit is due. Do you know how much their tuition is?
It's close to 16K a semester

Hello!

How long did it take for you guys to hear back from admissions after your interview?