Class of 2014!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Who's Shaun White?

only one of the BEST pro riders. EVAR. ok maybe not that good but still. hes good ****.

so good hes got his own oakley goggle line!

Members don't see this ad.

yea its def wayyyy harder to get a job, esp a job that you would enjoy and make decent money in, than any kid of school. gotta appreciate getting into med school and be almost guaranteed a high paying career that you chose for yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
yea its def wayyyy harder to get a job, esp a job that you would enjoy and make decent money in, than any kid of school. gotta appreciate getting into med school and be almost guaranteed a high paying career that you chose for yourself.

Yeah but I'm just talking about some kind of entry level job that makes more than 8.50/hr. :lame:

are you guys seriously that worried about getting a rejection?!

and that thread on 100k...comon people. well be living comfortably. debt or no debt. not like well have the time to use all that money if we had it anyway :p

EDIT: im also shocked no ones brought up the respect doctors get. anyone been in an airplane when they make an announcement calling the docs to the front of the plane?! i cant wait to be the one that gets up...

Yeah but I'm just talking about some kind of entry level job that makes more than 8.50/hr. :lame:

yea its the bad economy but more so our situation - getting a < year lag/dead end job

to get a full time position in my lab job, i had to work at 8/hr full time for a year. my PI fired like 5 of the other 8/hr temps before giving me a 30k position. kinda sucked in hindsight considering i got offers from biotechs (before they merged and halted)

No way man.:laugh:

Well maybe when you look at the entire medical school journey compared to applying for jobs.

I'm talking about percentages, mainly.

It's just not working for me. I'm wondering if I should even try to get a different job in Baton Rouge for the spring. But if I don't, my finances don't look good for the summer at all = no summer vacations in my last summer :eek:.

I don't get into discussions involving winter sports.

Except hockey, but I don't follow enough hockey anymore to have a conversation longer than 5 minutes. I can just tell you how the Colorado Avalanche are doing, that's it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just texted "HAITI" to "90999" and donated $10 to the Red Cross disaster relief fund (added to my cell phone bill).

How's everyone doing today?

Today's been hectic 'round these parts!

How's everyone doing today?

Today's been hectic 'round these parts!
getting ready for a job interview...its a pathetic/embarrasing job but this job market is so bad i have no choice. I need this job in the worst way! Its my 2nd interview out of 200 resumes or so haha. Things are so ridic i cant even get hired at fast food because as they put it, I dont have pervious "food or hospitaltiy expereince"...its like really wtf is with the job market now days. Everyday i just think thank god im going into medicine :laugh:. If I was a normal graduate id be freaking out now.

getting ready for a job interview...its a pathetic/embarrasing job but this job market is so bad i have no choice. I need this job in the worst way! Its my 2nd interview out of 200 resumes or so haha. Things are so ridic i cant even get hired at fast food because as they put it, I dont have pervious "food or hospitaltiy expereince"...its like really wtf is with the job market now days. Everyday i just think thank god im going into medicine :laugh:. If I was a normal graduate id be freaking out now.

Yeah, pretty sure I'd be freaking out too. What types of jobs are you looking into now?

Veeeery meh day.

Why only meh?

Not bad. How are you gemstone?

Good good. I get off work a little early today so that I can drive to Nashville tonight! Anybody have any tips for my Vandy interview?

Just texted "HAITI" to "90999" and donated $10 to the Red Cross disaster relief fund (added to my cell phone bill).

me too-i wish there was more i could do to help though

in other news, the family i nanny for got their dishwasher fixed! just did the dishes and it took me 10 mins instead on 45:)

Yeah, pretty sure I'd be freaking out too. What types of jobs are you looking into now?

Why only meh?

Good good. I get off work a little early today so that I can drive to Nashville tonight! Anybody have any tips for my Vandy interview?

good luck!! nashville's awesome:) how long is that drive?

Why only meh?

mine was primarily based on my AMCAS activities/essays

Like bb said, know the stuff on your AMCAS. They don't see your secondary essays, so they'll probably ask about your family and you growing up and stuff. Very conversational.

Then again, bb and I had the same interviewer so I bet he asked nearly the same questions. But I'm sure it's basically the same for all interviewers.

Just be yourself and be happy and outgoing. They like happy people, as you'll see. Their students are super happy.

good luck!! nashville's awesome:) how long is that drive?

Thanks!! The drive is 2-3 hours I think. Well, 2-3 hours from the house I'm staying at, which is an hour or so away from Atlanta (but on the way to Nashville). Plus, there will be horrible traffic at 5 p.m. when I get off. So, I'm looking at a 5 hour drive probably.

Going to work, so lame.

Not lame, Blue! I'm at work! And I'm not lame! So there.

mine was primarily based on my AMCAS activities/essays

Good good. I had read someone say they got some random science-y question, and I'm so out of the habit of science that my memory would probably not serve me well for those type questions.

Like bb said, know the stuff on your AMCAS. They don't see your secondary essays, so they'll probably ask about your family and you growing up and stuff. Very conversational.

Then again, bb and I had the same interviewer so I bet he asked nearly the same questions. But I'm sure it's basically the same for all interviewers.

Just be yourself and be happy and outgoing. They like happy people, as you'll see. Their students are super happy.

Thanks ksmi! Very useful tips!

So it's a semi-closed interview, I guess? Who reviews my secondary then? And how does that work or how does that factor into how Vanderbilt reviews me?

me and kitkat had the same interviewer though so maybe if you get a randomly different person (ask rockaction) yours could be totally different. her interview feedback is exactly how my interview went.

So it's a semi-closed interview, I guess? Who reviews my secondary then? And how does that work or how does that factor into how Vanderbilt reviews me?

From what I recall, they take your interview report/evaluation, add it to your file, and then 3 people evaluate your entire file (including secondary essays and the interview eval) and then talk about you at the adcom meeting

to echo ksmi and bb, my interview was entirely AMCAS related.

i totally forgot about Vandy but like ksmi said, they are "all" really happy, unbelievably friendly, and relaxed.

i recommend sitting in on the classes. amazing school, i'm probably not a fit but i enjoyed the experience (esp being my first interview)

I think this is how it works at Vandy... but it may be some other school, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Your interviewer writes up a report that is added to your file (with AMCAS and secondary). This file is sent to 3 different reviewers who score your application based on all three things. Then the entire committee can discuss and vote.

Maybe?

From what I recall, they take your interview report/evaluation, add it to your file, and then 3 people evaluate your entire file (including secondary essays and the interview eval) and then talk about you at the adcom meeting

yup.

best part of the day is Judy. you are from the south so everyone might be like her and sound like her, but we dont get people like that here. :thumbup:

lstone, who are you interviewing with @ Vandy??

I just PM'ed you.

me and kitkat had the same interviewer though so maybe if you get a randomly different person (ask rockaction) yours could be totally different. her interview feedback is exactly how my interview went.
they dont see your secondary essays or your recs, they see the rest

Well, I don't think I have the same person as you two. You were saying "he," and my interviewer is female.

So do you happen to know how much each part of your file is weighted?

One more question... How is it that the morning and afternoon interviewees get out at the same time but come in at different times? Do the morning interviewees have a lot of downtime?

No tips but gl, vandy seemed awesome!

I just PM'ed you.

Well, I don't think I have the same person as you two. You were saying "he," and my interviewer is female.

So do you happen to know how much each part of your file is weighted?

One more question... How is it that the morning and afternoon interviewees get out at the same time but come in at different times? Do the morning interviewees have a lot of downtime?

Yeah, the morning interviewees sit around in the lounge and wait for a pretty long time. I had an afternoon interview, but on my day, some of the morning interviewees went and explored the campus, another took a nap and one of them was checking email on the computer they have there and watching videos from past cadaver balls

and I have no idea how much the interview is weighted but my guess would be that since most of the interviews are just conversations, their interviews are more just to weed out the weirdos/really awkward people. That's just my guess, though -- I don't really have any basis for it

I think this is how it works at Vandy... but it may be some other school, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Your interviewer writes up a report that is added to your file (with AMCAS and secondary). This file is sent to 3 different reviewers who score your application based on all three things. Then the entire committee can discuss and vote.

Maybe?

I believe that is correct. It does not appear that the interviewer there "makes a case for you" to the committee like it is at some schools. They just write a report and it is taken into consideration alongside your primary, secondary, and LORs.

yup.

best part of the day is Judy. you are from the south so everyone might be like her and sound like her, but we dont get people like that here. :thumbup:

I do not like to speak ill of anyone, but Judy is not very nice when you aren't interviewing. I worked at Vanderbilt this summer and I went to meet with Dr. Sagan to discuss some issues with my secondary once and Judy was really rude to me :(

but a month later when I was interviewing she was a completely different person

Lots of downtime. If you're a morning interviewee, bring comfy shoes and go explore the undergrad campus. It's really pretty.

i had a morning interview

i sat in on 2 morning classes (one by my interviewer, a student came in and informed me that he was teaching) and then an elective class in the afternoon (which was fun, but i wouldnt take that class), and also had time to walk around the campus

I do not like to speak ill of anyone, but Judy is not very nice when you aren't interviewing. I worked at Vanderbilt this summer and I went to meet with Dr. Sagan to discuss some issues with my secondary once and Judy was really rude to me :(

but a month later when I was interviewing she was a completely different person

:(:(:( :thumbdown: didn't know Judy was such a LeBron

Thanks everyone for all the info! I had no idea so many 2014 SDNers had interviewed there already!