Class of 2015!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I tried the crockpot thing. Here's how it goes:

Isoprop - "Let's make food for the entire week."
*Cooks food in crock pot on Sunday.*
*Food finished by Wednesday.*
Isoprop - "How come my jeans don't fit anymore?"
:laugh: Same. My solution: saving the Gladware containers that lunch meat comes in and dividing up and freezing individual portions of whatever meal I've made.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's been gone for awhile. Just The Lounge now.

sad-pandas-demotivational-poster.jpg

the cerebellum looks like some sort of deformed minibrain that has globbed on to the cerebrum like a dead siamese twin. these are the things i think about. also, i dunno how people learned neuroanatomy before google body and multilevel 3D modeling existed, but it must have been especially painful!

Last edited:
When in anatomy, when I picked up our brain out of the bucket the cerebellum just fell right off. :eek:

1st avatar change in over a year. Learn it. Live it. Love it. :D

When in anatomy, when I picked up our brain out of the bucket the cerebellum just fell right off. :eek:

Our cadaver had a problem during fixation... When we cracked his skull open, the brain poured out, no joke. Everyone else had super nice, firm brain. We had a pile of pink goop. We seriously scooped it out with our hands into the collection bin, twas slightly disturbing....

Our cadaver had a problem during fixation... When we cracked his skull open, the brain poured out, no joke. Everyone else had super nice, firm brain. We had a pile of pink goop. We seriously scooped it out with our hands into the collection bin, twas slightly disturbing....
:scared: CREEPY.

Members don't see this ad :)
Medical+student+syndrome.JPG

First day of preceptorship tomorrow....

Time to get my "I have no idea what you're talking about" face ready.... Do we actually become doctors at the end of this?!?!

Bump from page 3...

Our med school "prom" was last night - it was a beautiful thing. :laugh:

Whoa whoa whoa...do you go to the same school as I do? We had ours last night too.

No, you two don't.

Well, actually, glasshalfMD and Avoidthetiger are both the same person.

Pics or it didn't happen.

They're on facebook - sorry we're not friends :thumbdown:

Whoa whoa whoa...do you go to the same school as I do? We had ours last night too.

Edit: Also, you have 666 posts. :scared:

Ha, nope I'm at Boonshoft. I WISH we were at the same school though. And 667 now (phew!).

No, you two don't.

Well, actually, glasshalfMD and Avoidthetiger are both the same person.

^ right-o. You do go to school with my alternate personality, Kaushik. She's pretty cool :hardy:

Anyone doing research during MS1? I started two weeks ago and I've been trying to figure out how much time to dedicate to it without killing myself. Seems like >10 hours a week = near exhaustion. Anyone else trying it?

Anyone doing research during MS1? I started two weeks ago and I've been trying to figure out how much time to dedicate to it without killing myself. Seems like >10 hours a week = near exhaustion. Anyone else trying it?
I was dead-set on conducting research during the school year before med school started. Now, I'm pretty much working my tail off to ensure that I'm only a week behind on material...:(

Is there a deadline by when you need to finish your research work?

Yeah, I started last week. My gig is really chill and only one day a week though.

Started the p90X variant Insanity yesterday. Seriously some of the hardest stuff I've ever done and I am actually in pretty decent shape, whoa.

Girlfriend and I are doing it together.... let's up it holds up for the next 59 days.

Started the p90X variant Insanity yesterday. Seriously some of the hardest stuff I've ever done and I am actually in pretty decent shape, whoa.

Girlfriend and I are doing it together.... let's up it holds up for the next 59 days.
You think it's tougher/better than p90x? I did p90x for a while last year and was considering trying out Insanity since I got sick of going to the small gym my apartment complex had to use the weights. I'm trying to figure out what I should do over summer. Work-out wise, I mean.

You think it's tougher/better than p90x? I did p90x for a while last year and was considering trying out Insanity since I got sick of going to the small gym my apartment complex had to use the weights. I'm trying to figure out what I should do over summer. Work-out wise, I mean.

I haven't done p90x but if you read amazon reviews it seems people who finished p90x even had trouble with it. I have no problem running 4-5 milles at 7:20ish pace and I thought the first workout was brutal, I guess I am in pretty awful anaerobic condition.

I haven't done p90x but if you read amazon reviews it seems people who finished p90x even had trouble with it. I have no problem running 4-5 milles at 7:20ish pace and I thought the first workout was brutal, I guess I am in pretty awful anaerobic condition.
Maybe I'll just stick with p90x for the summer. I'm probably nowhere near as fit as you are...

Also, procrastination is at an all-time high. I've got two exams on Monday and I'm just screwing around instead. One of them (neuroanatomy brainstem slices exam) is worth only 10% of our grade though so I stopped caring about it. And the other is waaaaaaaay too boring (genetics...ugh). I've already gone through pretty much all the failblog sites, helpfeedthetroll, and am about to hit up reddit. This is going to be a very unproductive day and I'm probably going to hate myself at around midnight when I realize I need to actually study...

tried both; insanity is harder. I threw up the first time I did it.

EXACTLY lol! Some of the giant, deep knee bend jumps that they make you do magically suck all the air out of you for the entire rest of the workout. Like no other physical activity I've ever done...

tried both; insanity is harder. I threw up the first time I did it.

lol, I did too. I was gasping my like a mf'er for the last ten minutes of it. My girlfriend is really, really out of shape and she just kind of gave up after ten minutes of it.

I am not sure how anyone in really bad shape could do this with any results but there are tons of youtube videos of people who were like 100 pounds overweight doing it and it working for them. I can't even imagine what this is like for them.

One of them (neuroanatomy brainstem slices exam) is worth only 10% of our grade though so I stopped caring about it. And the other is waaaaaaaay too boring (genetics...ugh).

omg I hated genetics. HATED!!!! I was nonstop procrastinating during that block, I seriously sat down for the test and was terrified I was going to fail I messed around so much. I understand we have to know it, butit seemed like it was WAAYYY too deep into minutiae. I mean, come on, unless you're a genetic counselor you're never going to see Ataxia-Telegenastica (or however you spell it), nor are you going to diagnose turcot syndrome or that crazy rare stuff. Half of that block for us was cancer pathology and that half is the only reason I passed that block.

Also, procrastination is at an all-time high. I've got two exams on Monday and I'm just screwing around instead. One of them (neuroanatomy brainstem slices exam) is worth only 10% of our grade though so I stopped caring about it. And the other is waaaaaaaay too boring (genetics...ugh). I've already gone through pretty much all the failblog sites, helpfeedthetroll, and am about to hit up reddit. This is going to be a very unproductive day and I'm probably going to hate myself at around midnight when I realize I need to actually study...

erm, yea. my next exam isn't until Valentine's Day (way to quash the romance, administration... though I don't have a valentine anyway so it's whatever), BUT I'm so far behind. we've gone through 260 pages in the past week and a half and I'm only to page 70 myself. and there are another 375 left to go before the exam. le sigh. I don't know if I'm cut out for this studyallthetime thing.

I really starting digging this little time waster the past couple days - not much 'entertainment value' but makes me smile :cool:

omg I hated genetics. HATED!!!! I was nonstop procrastinating during that block, I seriously sat down for the test and was terrified I was going to fail I messed around so much. I understand we have to know it, butit seemed like it was WAAYYY too deep into minutiae. I mean, come on, unless you're a genetic counselor you're never going to see Ataxia-Telegenastica (or however you spell it), nor are you going to diagnose turcot syndrome or that crazy rare stuff. Half of that block for us was cancer pathology and that half is the only reason I passed that block.

I don't know if we were lucky or if we didn't learn as much genetics as we should have, but our genetics component was rolled into our biochem block and consisted of maybe two weeks of lecture + learning the inheritance pattern, genotype, phenotype etc. for ~35 disorders. was pretty low key - but yes, boring. and scary. all I remember: Tay Sachs - cherry red spot, Jews; Fragile X - ******ation, big balls. yep.

lol, I did too. I was gasping my like a mf'er for the last ten minutes of it. My girlfriend is really, really out of shape and she just kind of gave up after ten minutes of it.

I am not sure how anyone in really bad shape could do this with any results but there are tons of youtube videos of people who were like 100 pounds overweight doing it and it working for them. I can't even imagine what this is like for them.

haha, how does she feel about you posting this? :smuggrin:

then again, I swam competitively for 12 years and now running 1/4 mile is hell. :thumbdown:

congrats on giving it a go!

Result: MI

haha, how does she feel about you posting this? :smuggrin:

then again, I swam competitively for 12 years and now running 1/4 mile is hell. :thumbdown:

congrats on giving it a go!

Trust me, I could have been much more unkind. :p She wouldn't approve, but hopefully she never goes through my post history, haha.

Yeah, before christmas break it hit me: this is the most out of shape I have ever been in my life. I am +20 pounds over what I was when I started undergrad (I lifted weights a ton in college but didn't gain that much muscle....). I used to be able to run 7-8 miles at a 6:30 pace or lower, now I can do but have a hard time with 4-5 miles at 7:30 or lower. Pounding jimmy johns in between anatomy lab study sessions at midnight really killed me, I have a legit belly going on.

I have never had a real six pack... I figure this will be the absolute last time I'll ever be able to get one... so wish me luck with insanity!!! Today's was brutal, but the meal plan they give you really isn't that bad.

:hello:

Exams in T-minus 7.5 hrs. Still procrastinating here.

erm, yea. my next exam isn't until Valentine's Day (way to quash the romance, administration... though I don't have a valentine anyway so it's whatever), BUT I'm so far behind. we've gone through 260 pages in the past week and a half and I'm only to page 70 myself. and there are another 375 left to go before the exam. le sigh. I don't know if I'm cut out for this studyallthetime thing.

I really starting digging this little time waster the past couple days - not much 'entertainment value' but makes me smile :cool:

Bummer. I have neuroanatomy dissection on Valentine's Day. At least I don't have gross anatomy dissection...

Yeah, before christmas break it hit me: this is the most out of shape I have ever been in my life. I am +20 pounds over what I was when I started undergrad (I lifted weights a ton in college but didn't gain that much muscle....). I used to be able to run 7-8 miles at a 6:30 pace or lower, now I can do but have a hard time with 4-5 miles at 7:30 or lower. Pounding jimmy johns in between anatomy lab study sessions at midnight really killed me, I have a legit belly going on.

I feel you on the out of shape front. I went for a swim today and it kicked my butt. I'm embarrassed by how easily I get winded these days - haha. I was kind of hoping all of my in-shape, health-conscious classmates would rub off on me in the beginning of the year, but unfortunately I just started being somewhat active again. Here's hoping the routine sticks for both of us!!

FWIW, 4-5 miles at 7:30 or lower = :wow:

:hello:

Exams in T-minus 7.5 hrs. Still procrastinating here.

I'm sure it was a piece of cake :thumbup:

Interesting experience in the pool today.

I get there and see that all the lanes are taken, but that two guys are talking with one another across the lane line, so I ask them if they would mind if I either shared with one of them or if they shared a lane so I could have my own. No problem, I get my own lane. 10 minutes in, the one guy starts talking to me, asking if I'm on the swim team. "No, just getting a little work out in, haven't been on a team in 6 years - since high school," I say. He replies "oh, so you're a senior?" :confused: "No, I'm a med student, how about you?" - "Oh, I'm a freshman, but I'm premed. Do you mind if I ask you a few questions?" Proceeds to ask me if I thought med school was hard to get into (how does one answer this question?), what my score on the MCAT was... and then tells me that he's already bought a review book to begin studying (note: like I said, dude's a freshman). Anyway, I told him to not do that. And that he needs to enjoy undergrad because life ends at med school. I hope I didn't scare the guy too much, but really? MCAT review as a freshman - please tell me none of you did this.

FACEPALM. ENDSTORY.

edit. toptoptop!