Class of 2016 Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I called the director of admissions - Dr. Jane Ann Munroe and she told me herself.
She did mention it was likely people would change their minds and more spots would open up in the process but I didn't feel like spending upwards of $500+ on a maybe for a waitlist

Members don't see this ad.

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 12/13
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): SUNY, SCO, ICO, PCO, NOVA
Date Interview Scheduled: NOVA (1/27), ICO (1/30), SCO (2/3), PCO (2/8)
Accepted (indicate school attending): NOVA, ICO, SCO, PCO. Can't decide between SCO or ICO (leaning more towards SCO though)

OAT (AA, TS) - 330 AA/ 340 TS
GPA(Overall, Science) 3.11 overall gpa

Extracurricular: 50+ shadowing hours in 3 different modes of practice, organized a youth group, participated in alternative spring break outreach, and rocked my interview.

I had a bad freshman year, however, I worked really hard to improve my GPA and showed my strengths in 300-level science courses.

Midwestern was my number 1 choice based on location and friends in the area. I didn't want to spend the money to travel to SCO and SCCO when i wasn't dying to go there. they were more just back up schools. I've heard great things about them, except now that SCCO is full and you'd be on a waiting list, and SCO is in downtown memphis which isn't the most friendly atmosphere and far away from most of my family on the west coast. Midwestern has a TON of brand new stuff, and still bringing in new equipment. Yes, the teachers are new and younger/inexperienced, but they are just as invested in your success as you are because they want to establish a good reputation.

Why did you cancel your interviews to SCO and SCCO? Why Midwestern?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

So how many schools do people apply to on average? I only see the schools where people got 'invitations for interview' - but that doesn't reflect how many schools they actually applied to...

Thanks!

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 09/18 (Finished my supplemental and OAT on 1/3/12)
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): Pacific (only one I applied to)
Date Interview Scheduled: 2/10
Accepted (indicate school attending): Pacific

OAT (AA, TS) - 340TTS, 320AA
GPA(Overall, Science) - 3.6 Overall, 3.3 Science

Extracurricular: 60 Hours shadowing in four clinics, worked for my dad as an optometrist, I play music, love outdoors, volunteer a lot, used to do boy scouts, 3 sport athlete in high school

How many Pacific people?! I just got my phone call from Andrea yesterday!

Just gave up my seat at Pacific. It was hard, totally LOVE the city and the people. Anyone would be lucky to be there. Hopefully one of you get to snag it!

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 12/5
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): UC Berkeley (the only one I applied to)
Date Interview Scheduled: 2/4
Accepted (indicate school attending): UC Berkeley

OAT (AA, TS): 330, 320
GPA(Overall, Science): 3.50, 3.51

Extracurricular: Shadowed clinical and private practice, Optometry club president, research lab, sports, a lot of club activities

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 10/13/2011
Interview Invitation Extended for: UHCO, SCO, SCCO, Indiana, UC Berkeley
Date Interview Scheduled: UHCO (10/21), SCO (10/28), SCCO (11/18), Indiana (cancelled), UC Berkeley (2/4)
Accepted to: UHCO (10/21), SCO (11/3), SCCO (11/18), UC Berkeley (3/2)
Attending: UC Berkeley (Go Bears!)

OAT (AA, TS): 380, 390
GPA: 3.7

Extracurriculars: shadowing several docs, very active member of pre-optometry club, VP in sorority, Teach For America, Spanish (Does this count in this category? I lived in Mexico for 2 years and used this a lot in my essay), started working in optometry office (right before my last interview)

Other: I was a social science major and went back to school for my pre-req's after working for a couple years. Just a shout out to anyone who's not a bio major :) It's possible!

Last edited:
Date OptomCAS was mailed: Early December 2011
Applied: UAB, UHCO, SCO
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): UAB, SCO (I was accepted to UHCO without an interview)
Accepted (indicate school attending): UAB, UHCO, attending SCO

OAT (AA, TS) - 370, 390
GPA (Overall, Science) - 3.9, 3.8

Extracurricular: I'm in a lot of random clubs, and I had about 70 hours of shadowing experiences with optometrists, opticians, and ophthalmologists.

I was totally impressed by Western's facilities. Definitely became my top choice after the interview.

Date OptomCAS was mailed: Jan 2012
Applied: SCCO, NECO, ICO, NOVA, Western
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): NECO, ICO, NOVA, Western (turned down NOVA)
Accepted (indicate school attending): NECO, Western, and just had my interview at ICO so hopefully I'll know by next week

OAT (AA, TS) - 330, 330
GPA (Overall, Science) - 2.92, 2.76

Extracurricular: Full-time Optician since March 2011, shadowed 3 different types of settings in optometry, 500+ hours of community service in undergrad (not health related), cabinet positions held in multiple student organizations.

I know my GPA is hella low but do I have a chance at ICO? At this point it's definitely my first choice. I think I did fairly well on the interview but I got absolutely GRILLED for my low gpa. Kept my composure and answered to the best of my ability since I pretty much expected it was coming

Depends..are you an URM?

Members don't see this ad :)
Date OptomCAS was mailed: November 2011
Applied: Berkeley, SCCO, NECO, Western, Pacific, Midwestern
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): Berkeley, SCCO, NECO, Western, Pacific (turned down), Midwestern (turned down)
Accepted (indicate school attending): Berkeley, SCCO, NECO, Western

Undecided as to where I am going but as of now it looks like 45/45/10 Berkeley/SCCO/NECO.

OAT (AA, TS) - 350, 330
GPA (Overall, Science) - 3.68, 3.40

Extracurricular: Worked one year as an opt tech, competitive pianist and table tennis player, dance 12-15 hours a week, volunteer as an RA in a psychology lab and as a badminton coach

Date OptomCAS was mailed: October 2011
Applied: Pacific, UCBSO, SCCO, Western, ICO, Midwestern
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): UCBSO (Feb), Pacific (Nov), Western (cancelled)
Accepted (indicate school attending): UCBSO (attending), Pacific (Nov)

OAT: AA 340 TS 360
GPA: 2.92

Extracurricular: 5 yrs. working in a private practice, tutoring, shadowed 3 optometrists, rocked the interviews. Overall, very surprised I got into Pacific and UCBSO.

Yes I am but I don't like taking advantage of it at all. I only put it on OptomCas and never brought it up in interviews.

That's all you need to do. You'll get in. By not taking advantage of it you would have declined to answer.

Applied: Pacific, UCBSO, SCCO, Western, ICO, Midwestern
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): UCBSO (Feb), Pacific (Nov), Western (cancelled)
Accepted (indicate school attending): UCBSO (attending), Pacific (Nov)

OAT: AA 340 TS 360
GPA: 2.92

Extracurricular: 5 yrs. working in a private practice, tutoring, shadowed 3 optometrists, rocked the interviews. Overall, very surprised I got into Pacific and UCBSO.

lol, URM? haha I'll stop.

Date OptomCAS was mailed: November 2011
Applied: Berkeley, SCCO, NECO, Western, Pacific, Midwestern
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): Berkeley, SCCO, NECO, Western, Pacific (turned down), Midwestern (turned down)
Accepted (indicate school attending): Berkeley, SCCO, NECO, Western

Undecided as to where I am going but as of now it looks like 45/45/10 Berkeley/SCCO/NECO.

OAT (AA, TS) - 350, 330
GPA (Overall, Science) - 3.68, 3.40

Extracurricular: Worked one year as an opt tech, competitive pianist and table tennis player, dance 12-15 hours a week, volunteer as an RA in a psychology lab and as a badminton coach

If you're in-state, go to Berkeley for the HUGE amount of money you would save!
If you're out of state, go to Berkeley for the esteemed reputation.

Ironically Berkeley and SCCO are similarly priced in tuition now

Ironically Berkeley and SCCO are similarly priced in tuition now

Hmm I just looked it up, $29,658 at Berkeley and SCCO is $30,615 (I had no idea Berk had gone up that much!). While living in SoCal is nice, I would still attend Berkeley based off the reputation and the campus.

Hmm I just looked it up, $29,658 at Berkeley and SCCO is $30,615 (I had no idea Berk had gone up that much!). While living in SoCal is nice, I would still attend Berkeley based off the reputation and the campus.

I think Berkeley gives a lot more in aid (a few thousand), whereas SCCO doesn't give out much aid. Buuut...cost of living is lower around SCCO and most students live within a mile of campus. Factoring in cost of living, SCCO is probably cheaper. San Francisco Bay is prettier though :)

Date OptomCAS was mailed: Jan 2012
Applied: SCCO, NECO, ICO, NOVA, Western
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): NECO, ICO, NOVA, Western (turned down NOVA)
Accepted (indicate school attending): NECO, Western, and just had my interview at ICO so hopefully I'll know by next week

OAT (AA, TS) - 330, 330
GPA (Overall, Science) - 2.92, 2.76

Extracurricular: Full-time Optician since March 2011, shadowed 3 different types of settings in optometry, 500+ hours of community service in undergrad (not health related), cabinet positions held in multiple student organizations.

I know my GPA is hella low but do I have a chance at ICO? At this point it's definitely my first choice. I think I did fairly well on the interview but I got absolutely GRILLED for my low gpa. Kept my composure and answered to the best of my ability since I pretty much expected it was coming

**Update** Got accepted to ICO and will most likely be attending in the fall.

I was invited to IUSO's admissions day on April 13 and was wondering if anyone knows what the day really entails! While reading other posts I gathered that the day was pretty informal but want a little more information on it!

Applied: UHCO, UIW
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): UHCO, UIW
Accepted (indicate school attending): UHCO (attending), UIW

OAT (AA, TS) - 310, 300
GPA (Overall, Science) - 3.42, 3.33

Extracurricular: shadowing, worked as an optician, worked as an assistant in different optometry settings

Hi I was wondering why it took so long to get an acceptance... I'm trying to get into western too but I haven't heard from them.

I suggest calling Briana Sanders : (909) 469-5231 and asking what the status of your application is. Gook luck! PM me if you have any other questions about Western :)

Date OptomCAS was mailed: 02/09/2012
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): PCO, NECO, Western, MCPHS
Date Interview Scheduled: PCO-03/01/2012, NECO-04/13/2012, Western-Cancelled, MCPHS-cancelled
Accepted (indicate school attending): PCO-wait listed, attending NECO

OAT (AA, TS) 310, 310
GPA(Overall, Science) 3.4

Is anybody planning to decline their seat at Pacific?