Class of 2017!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Feels much later than usual, but it's only 130.

I almost had a heart attack when i saw this. and then realized it was only 10:30 :idea:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Eh Solvents. Haha. Not something I am completely familiar with since my instructors did not emphasize it but from what I remember: Polar protic because the polar molecule can stabilize the ions(particularly the carbocation) and it being protic increases stability of the leaving group anion. On the other hand polar protic solvents would get in the way of nucleophiles in Sn2 since most nucleophiles are at least somewhat basic. Since Sn2 is a biomolecular reaction if you weaken the nucleophile you slow the reaction? Hopefully that makes some sense!

I am only familiar with immunology because it beat me up twice. Yes my lowest Bio grades are in the 2 classes that directly relate to my major :rolleyes:

Anyways if you have a chance to take immunology or learn some of it do it! Because immunology has a little bit of everything in it...from developmental to biochem/chemistry and its interesting to see how the molecular mechanisms make a difference at the physiological level. ie: anaphylactic shock....

Oooooh yes, your explanation does makes sense, thank you!!! So the polarity of the solvent induces some partial negative charges that just overall electrostatically stabilize the positive carbocation? And the protons from the protic solvent associate with the leaving group anion to make it more stable, which probably has more of an effect with leaving groups that are less good?

Ooh yes good point on the Sn2, so if the solvent is protic then the NUCLEOPHILE is stabilized, which is bad, because then it's less reactive, and has a slowing effect on the reaction rate. Yay this makes sense now, thank you!

Bahahaha, speaking of lipids/digestion, bile salts are literally the coolest things ever. Fat digestion is the weirdest process, but so cool.

I should go to bed @_@

You guys! Stop helping out the c/o 2018 thread! Bring them in here!!! :smuggrin:

Me neither :( I have so much material to cover it's not even funny. I didn't realize how much basic cell bio I don't remember.

:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
yea I still need to cover/review a few gapping holes in my knowledge. Most notably: Optics, Thermochemistry, Titrations, and Hormones.

I actually think my gaping holes outweigh my knowledgeable areas... I think my most noticeable ones are Gases (chemistry-wise), Optics, Microbiology, Eukaryotes vs. Prokaryotes, Ridiculously Basic Cell Biology, Solution Equilibria, Aldols, and Immunology. And that's just getting started!

I actually think my gaping holes outweigh my knowledgeable areas... I think my most noticeable ones are Gases (chemistry-wise), Optics, Microbiology, Eukaryotes vs. Prokaryotes, Ridiculously Basic Cell Biology, Solution Equilibria, Aldols, and Immunology. And that's just getting started!

We all better get cracking then! Are you using EK?