Class of 2017!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

About the Ads

Tots

c/o 2018
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2008
Chicago
Status
  1. Medical Student
Hmm I see TBR1 and 2 have 13-15 = 46-52 for PS.
TBR3 though it says 13-15 = 40-52.

Maybe you graded yours on the wrong scale? That would make your score (29?) jump quite significantly I'm sure!

Hmm maybe. The scale I have is attached. It came from the CEO though it wouldn't surprise me if it actually was wrong since the scale says: Summer 2007 on the bottom -_-'

At first I thought maybe I was looking at the wrong scale but none of mine had 40-52.

Did your PS have passages on:1) pH 2) Hydraulic press 3) energy diagram 4) mass spec.

I guess ultimately it doesn't even matter what my fake score was. certainly affects my ego though..haha

Attachments

• TBR CBT Exam 1-9 Scales.pdf
    55.7 KB · Views: 4
About the Ads

GooseWing

7+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2011
Sunny So Cal
Status
  1. Medical Student
Hmm maybe. The scale I have is attached. It came from the CEO though it wouldn't surprise me if it actually was wrong since the scale says: Summer 2007 on the bottom -_-'

At first I thought maybe I was looking at the wrong scale but none of mine had 40-52.

Did your PS have passages on:1) pH 2) Hydraulic press 3) energy diagram 4) mass spec.

I guess ultimately it doesn't even matter what my fake score was. certainly affects my ego though..haha

Here you go! PS seems like the only big diff. With your scale my verbal would've been 1 higher but my BS would've been one lower and PS would've been one lower. Hopefully this helps! (Just had this sent to me about 1 week ago)

Attachments

• TBR CBTs 1-3 Scoring.pdf
    8.7 KB · Views: 3

Tots

c/o 2018
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2008
Chicago
Status
  1. Medical Student
Here you go! PS seems like the only big diff. With your scale my verbal would've been 1 higher but my BS would've been one lower and PS would've been one lower. Hopefully this helps! (Just had this sent to me about 1 week ago)

Thanks! Hmm interesting. I wonder if we have different tests....o_O??? because this would have raised my PS to 12 and BS to 10 but brought my verbal down. Giving me a 31.

GooseWing

7+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2011
Sunny So Cal
Status
  1. Medical Student
Thanks! Hmm interesting. I wonder if we have different tests....o_O??? because this would have raised my PS to 12 and BS to 10 but brought my verbal down. Giving me a 31.

Oh btw I did have the mass spec, water pump, etc. etc.
but who knows?!? Congrats on the score bump though :)

About the Ads

postbacpremed87

7+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2011
Status
  1. Medical Student
Do you guys realize that our AMCAS primary application will be available in less than 9 months (probably 8 months and 4 weeks...something like that)!!!!! It's a coming :)

Kangaroo Paw

Sha-boing, BOING.
5+ Year Member
May 29, 2010
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
I want to take more AAMCs! Arg!

I know, me too... but I feel like there are some major content holes I should fill before doing so. Namely, reading the entire EK Bio book. I feel like I'm gradually getting this unified sense of how the body works from bottom to top, and it's kind of coming together, but I'm missing some details. Those details are costing me some major points on the practice exams (like, names and functions of organelles, euks vs proks, stupid things like that), whereas big picture items are things I'm getting correct. PS-wise, just plowing through content areas one at a time has been helping. But unidentified-spiritual-being save me if you ask in which material sound waves travel faster through.

Let's all take AAMC 7 Tuesday and report back! :laugh: It'll be motivation to get my study on tomorrow!

tman5890

Fiery Devotion
7+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2009
On an island, in NY
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
I know, me too... but I feel like there are some major content holes I should fill before doing so. Namely, reading the entire EK Bio book. I feel like I'm gradually getting this unified sense of how the body works from bottom to top, and it's kind of coming together, but I'm missing some details. Those details are costing me some major points on the practice exams (like, names and functions of organelles, euks vs proks, stupid things like that), whereas big picture items are things I'm getting correct. PS-wise, just plowing through content areas one at a time has been helping. But unidentified-spiritual-being save me if you ask in which material sound waves travel faster through.

Let's all take AAMC 7 Tuesday and report back! :laugh: It'll be motivation to get my study on tomorrow!

Tell me when you figure out the solution to that. I have the same problem :D

Tots

c/o 2018
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2008
Chicago
Status
  1. Medical Student
Do you guys realize that our AMCAS primary application will be available in less than 9 months (probably 8 months and 4 weeks...something like that)!!!!! It's a coming :)

Thats kind of scary. I am not ready. LORs...PS...MCAT....

Thanks for the welcomes :D!

My first goal, on the 1st of this September, I WILL ANNIHILATE MY MCAT! Muwahahah!

Good luck! I am sure you will be great. While you are partying on the 2nd I will be crying in a small prometric testing center room trying to survive the MCAT.

Yea I need to work on the EK bio book. I realized from my reviewing of tests that I am absolutely horrible at the bio but survive due to my Ochem knowledge. This is concerning because last time I checked I was majoring in something in the biology realm :rolleyes: even though I have yet to have an immunology passage :mad:

About the Ads

Kangaroo Paw

Sha-boing, BOING.
5+ Year Member
May 29, 2010
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
:thumbup: Last year I took Chemical Biology and it was a pretty awesome class. Biochemistry was not as fun but still interesting.

What are they?? am I supposed to know that for the MCAT :confused:

Hahaha oh nooo why do I keep posting things that I learn for the MCAT and freaking you out about them :( Triacylglycerols are the "storage" form of lipids, the structure is three fatty acid "tails" attached to a 3-carbon glycerol backbone. I *think* (don't quote on me on this) the liver packages free fatty acids (monoglycerides) into triacylglycerols (or triglycerides), and does various things with them. Adipocytes (the lovely fat cells you gain when you decide to eat 3 hamburgers and a super-sized fries) have cytoplasm with pretty much pure triglycerides, which, when you oxidize the fatty acids, release a crap-ton more chemical energy from the bonds than do carbohydrates. Oh, and I think triacylglycerols provide, like... thermal padding? Fun stuff.

Lipids better be on my MCAT :mad:

Yeah, the chemistry behind biomolecules sounds so cool. It's too bad my school doesn't really offer too much biochem, and that I don't have time in my schedule to do the concentration. :xf: for the Spanish project though!

Kangaroo Paw

Sha-boing, BOING.
5+ Year Member
May 29, 2010
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Thats kind of scary. I am not ready. LORs...PS...MCAT....

Good luck! I am sure you will be great. While you are partying on the 2nd I will be crying in a small prometric testing center room trying to survive the MCAT.

Yea I need to work on the EK bio book. I realized from my reviewing of tests that I am absolutely horrible at the bio but survive due to my Ochem knowledge. This is concerning because last time I checked I was majoring in something in the biology realm :rolleyes: even though I have yet to have an immunology passage :mad:

Yeah... I thought I knew orgo, but it turns out that I need to review a lot of stuff from there too. Can you explain why a carbocation is stabilized by a polar, protic solvent? I never understood that. It's actually kind of scary, I have a bit less than 4 weeks left, yet realized that I pretty much have everything left to content review. This is not good.

Bro, immunology is a huge weakness for me. I've never, ever learned anything about it, so it's totally foreign to me. I should get on that.

I do have to say, though, the physiology I've learned this summer for the MCAT was so, so interesting. It's so unbelievable how the cell, molecular, and intermolecular bio's just come together in such a complex way to get to physiological behavior.

Tots

c/o 2018
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2008
Chicago
Status
  1. Medical Student
Hahaha oh nooo why do I keep posting things that I learn for the MCAT and freaking you out about them :( Triacylglycerols are the "storage" form of lipids, the structure is three fatty acid "tails" attached to a 3-carbon glycerol backbone. I *think* (don't quote on me on this) the liver packages free fatty acids (monoglycerides) into triacylglycerols (or triglycerides), and does various things with them. Adipocytes (the lovely fat cells you gain when you decide to eat 3 hamburgers and a super-sized fries) have cytoplasm with pretty much pure triglycerides, which, when you oxidize the fatty acids, release a crap-ton more chemical energy from the bonds than do carbohydrates. Oh, and I think triacylglycerols provide, like... thermal padding? Fun stuff.

Thanks! I recognize triglycerides! But that was super informative.

After your explanation I hope they are on my MCAT too....

Yeah, the chemistry behind biomolecules sounds so cool. It's too bad my school doesn't really offer too much biochem, and that I don't have time in my schedule to do the concentration. :xf: for the Spanish project though!

Haha Good luck with the spanish project! I wished I had continued learning spanish in college. At the clinic I work at its tough to get by with my high school spanish. I am hoping to attend a language school during my year off after interview season. I really really really need to/want to learn spanish -_-

tman5890

Fiery Devotion
7+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2009
On an island, in NY
Status
  1. Pre-Medical

Learned a bunch of this stuff in ochem2. Wasn't too fun since it made the tests harder :laugh: But it was interesting stuff.

Tots

c/o 2018
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2008
Chicago
Status
  1. Medical Student
Yeah... I thought I knew orgo, but it turns out that I need to review a lot of stuff from there too. Can you explain why a carbocation is stabilized by a polar, protic solvent? I never understood that. It's actually kind of scary, I have a bit less than 4 weeks left, yet realized that I pretty much have everything left to content review. This is not good.

Eh Solvents. Haha. Not something I am completely familiar with since my instructors did not emphasize it but from what I remember: Polar protic because the polar molecule can stabilize the ions(particularly the carbocation) and it being protic increases stability of the leaving group anion. On the other hand polar protic solvents would get in the way of nucleophiles in Sn2 since most nucleophiles are at least somewhat basic. Since Sn2 is a biomolecular reaction if you weaken the nucleophile you slow the reaction? Hopefully that makes some sense!

Bro, immunology is a huge weakness for me. I've never, ever learned anything about it, so it's totally foreign to me. I should get on that.

I do have to say, though, the physiology I've learned this summer for the MCAT was so, so interesting. It's so unbelievable how the cell, molecular, and intermolecular bio's just come together in such a complex way to get to physiological behavior.

I am only familiar with immunology because it beat me up twice. Yes my lowest Bio grades are in the 2 classes that directly relate to my major :rolleyes:

Anyways if you have a chance to take immunology or learn some of it do it! Because immunology has a little bit of everything in it...from developmental to biochem/chemistry and its interesting to see how the molecular mechanisms make a difference at the physiological level. ie: anaphylactic shock....

tman5890

Fiery Devotion
7+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2009
On an island, in NY
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Eh Solvents. Haha. Not something I am completely familiar with since my instructors did not emphasize it but from what I remember: Polar protic because the polar molecule can stabilize the ions(particularly the carbocation) and it being protic increases stability of the leaving group anion. On the other hand polar protic solvents would get in the way of nucleophiles in Sn2 since most nucleophiles are at least somewhat basic. Since Sn2 is a biomolecular reaction if you weaken the nucleophile you slow the reaction? Hopefully that makes some sense!

I am only familiar with immunology because it beat me up twice. Yes my lowest Bio grades are in the 2 classes that directly relate to my major :rolleyes:

Anyways if you have a chance to take immunology or learn some of it do it! Because immunology has a little bit of everything in it...from developmental to biochem/chemistry and its interesting to see how the molecular mechanisms make a difference at the physiological level. ie: anaphylactic shock....

Sounds really interesting. I've gotta check if my school offers an immunology class!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads