BOTH Class of 2018 Board Study Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gobigorgohome22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow Class of 2018ers!

I hope everyone is enjoying the last free summer of your lives!

As the start of 2nd yr gets closer, I have started thinking a little about the infamous STEP 1 exams for USMLE and COMLEX (I'm an Osteopathic student). I thought it might be a good idea to have kind of a study group here to help keep me in check and keep each other in check as studying starts and decided to create this.

I would like to open this up to both USMLE and COMLEX discussion.

So, how's everyone spending their summer? Started thinking any about the hell that is going to be coming up over the next year?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just took the beast today. Here's my breakdown of test day for anyone interested:

Let me start by saying my testing center was busy as hell. In my room there were about 20 people all taking different tests and they were constantly coming and going making lots of noise. Chairs were squeaking, people were coughing, at one point had some guy talking really loudly and the proctor wouldn't shut him up. It really threw me for a curve at first because I had done all my practice tests in complete silence. Also, signing out/scanning in/getting stuff from your locker takes a long time so if you're planning to go out and scarf down some food and be back in 5 minutes, it's probably not going to happen. Plus, sometimes the staff was busy helping someone else check in and I had to wait which was really annoying. Also, the bathroom at my testing center was a 1-2 minute walk alone and it was confusing to get to so I'm glad I went early to figure out where it was. I recommend doing the same.

Okay, now for the test. Oh. My. God. It was HARD. I think on the first block I marked 5 out of my first 10 questions which got me to panic a little right from the start. After that I settled into a groove but on every block I marked around 10-15 questions (compared to NBMEs where I'd generally mark 5-10). The difficulty level was around an average UWorld block, maybe sliiiiiightly easier, but much harder than NBMEs 15-17 (I cannot comment on 18 since I did not take it).

I'd say break down per block was around:

5-10 gimmes - straight forward classic presentation, easy points if you know FA relatively well

10-15 moderate questions - these require thinking and are initially difficult when reading the question but (most) become fairly straight forward when you catch on to what they are asking for (which can be a challenge in itself sometimes). For example I had a lot of graph interpretation stuff that looked really scary at first but then once you really get down to it was just application of a simple concept, so try not to get intimidated by these

10-15 difficult questions - vague patient presentation with no buzzwords or specific findings to clue you into any specific pathology, convoluted cardio/resp physiology questions (my weakness), micro questions with seemingly more than 1 correct answer (I guess one of them is "more correct"), etc.; I was stuck between 2 answer choices very often due to the ambiguity of certain questions and had to make a guess. These are the questions that just eat at you because you know you're probably missing something hidden in the question to push you to one answer but just can't figure out what. Probably the most important questions that separate the 220s/230s from the 250s/260s.

2-5 or so WTF questions - Basically, there were a lot of WTF questions. There were pathologies I hadn't seen before. There were anatomy q's with structures I hadn't seen since 1st year anatomy. Obviously can't go too much into detail but had a couple, umm, let's say interesting epidemiology questions that I guess I could have prepared for by browsing wikipedia and memorizing random trivia throughout medical school? I don't feel too bad about missing these because everyone is going to be feeling the same way.

I'm just glad to be done though. I know most people feel awful after they take it and I'm no exception. I was originally aiming for 240 but I will be ecstatic with a 230+ now. Good luck everyone.

Took it today as well and I would agree with this assessment. Not sure if we had the same/similar test (not sure how they do this), but mine felt ridiculously hard and I walked out feeling like I completely bombed it. At this point, I feel like if I hit the bottom of my NBMEs, I would be thrilled. Even when I would recognize the disease presentation and think "oh easy question!", the answer choices would be completely asinine and I would still end up guessing. And at least 4-6 WTF questions every block where I had no idea what was going on.

Reactions: 1 users
Took it today as well and I would agree with this assessment. Not sure if we had the same/similar test (not sure how they do this), but mine felt ridiculously hard and I walked out feeling like I completely bombed it. At this point, I feel like if I hit the bottom of my NBMEs, I would be thrilled. Even when I would recognize the disease presentation and think "oh easy question!", the answer choices would be completely asinine and I would still end up guessing. And at least 4-6 WTF questions every block where I had no idea what was going on.
Well, the thing is that you are a superstar, and you know it. If you bombed it then an average person is going to fail. I'd say you have nothing to worry about. They need to curve the test to produce a bell shape, and you will most likely end up on the far end of the right tail.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to let you down! I don't know what happened but NBME16 was my worst so far, 239...:dead:

Oh well I still have a week to go! I'd rather have a bad day on a practice test than the real thing! I'll take NBME17 on Friday and hopefully that one will be much higher:shrug:

So just took NBME 16 which was also my first NBME. It sucked! It put me at a 230, which is depressing because when I started dedicated the school administered CBSE had me between 235-240. Have I really been studying for 3 weeks and know less than I did when I started? I have less than a month to go, I guess my goal of 250's seems a little less realistic now. Hopefully I can rally and pull into the 240's though. :(

Just took the beast today. Here's my breakdown of test day for anyone interested:

Let me start by saying my testing center was busy as hell. In my room there were about 20 people all taking different tests and they were constantly coming and going making lots of noise. Chairs were squeaking, people were coughing, at one point had some guy talking really loudly and the proctor wouldn't shut him up. It really threw me for a curve at first because I had done all my practice tests in complete silence. Also, signing out/scanning in/getting stuff from your locker takes a long time so if you're planning to go out and scarf down some food and be back in 5 minutes, it's probably not going to happen. Plus, sometimes the staff was busy helping someone else check in and I had to wait which was really annoying. Also, the bathroom at my testing center was a 1-2 minute walk alone and it was confusing to get to so I'm glad I went early to figure out where it was. I recommend doing the same.

Okay, now for the test. Oh. My. God. It was HARD. I think on the first block I marked 5 out of my first 10 questions which got me to panic a little right from the start. After that I settled into a groove but on every block I marked around 10-15 questions (compared to NBMEs where I'd generally mark 5-10). The difficulty level was around an average UWorld block, maybe sliiiiiightly easier, but much harder than NBMEs 15-17 (I cannot comment on 18 since I did not take it).

I'd say break down per block was around:

5-10 gimmes - straight forward classic presentation, easy points if you know FA relatively well

10-15 moderate questions - these require thinking and are initially difficult when reading the question but (most) become fairly straight forward when you catch on to what they are asking for (which can be a challenge in itself sometimes). For example I had a lot of graph interpretation stuff that looked really scary at first but then once you really get down to it was just application of a simple concept, so try not to get intimidated by these

10-15 difficult questions - vague patient presentation with no buzzwords or specific findings to clue you into any specific pathology, convoluted cardio/resp physiology questions (my weakness), micro questions with seemingly more than 1 correct answer (I guess one of them is "more correct"), etc.; I was stuck between 2 answer choices very often due to the ambiguity of certain questions and had to make a guess. These are the questions that just eat at you because you know you're probably missing something hidden in the question to push you to one answer but just can't figure out what. Probably the most important questions that separate the 220s/230s from the 250s/260s.

2-5 or so WTF questions - Basically, there were a lot of WTF questions. There were pathologies I hadn't seen before. There were anatomy q's with structures I hadn't seen since 1st year anatomy. Obviously can't go too much into detail but had a couple, umm, let's say interesting epidemiology questions that I guess I could have prepared for by browsing wikipedia and memorizing random trivia throughout medical school? I don't feel too bad about missing these because everyone is going to be feeling the same way.

I'm just glad to be done though. I know most people feel awful after they take it and I'm no exception. I was originally aiming for 240 but I will be ecstatic with a 230+ now. Good luck everyone.

Thank you for the write up! If you dont mind me asking, what range were your practice scores in?

Im scared after these assessments :help::scared:

Thank you for the write up! If you dont mind me asking, what range were your practice scores in?

Im scared after these assessments :help::scared:

I had a 232 on NBMEs 15 (3 weeks out) and 17 (5 days out) and a 254 on NBME 16 (2 days out)

I think you should just go in mentally just expecting it to be harder than the NBMEs and know that if you are feeling that the questions are more difficult, then that is normal. At least that is what I'm telling myself :laugh:

Man with your NBMEs I'm sure you killed it, don't sweat it. Most importantly, we're done!!! :highfive:

Well, the thing is that you are a superstar, and you know it. If you bombed it then an average person is going to fail. I'd say you have nothing to worry about. They need to curve the test to produce a bell shape, and you will most likely end up on the far end of the right tail.

Man I hope you're right, but that was just really tough. Very humbling exam. Hopefully some of my guesses ended up correct.

So just took NBME 16 which was also my first NBME. It sucked! It put me at a 230, which is depressing because when I started dedicated the school administered CBSE had me between 235-240. Have I really been studying for 3 weeks and know less than I did when I started? I have less than a month to go, I guess my goal of 250's seems a little less realistic now. Hopefully I can rally and pull into the 240's though. :(

You've got this dude. The curve on 16 was pretty rough IIRC. Plus your first NBME is normally the lowest since it takes a while to get used to the style + needing >90% for a 250.

Man with your NBMEs I'm sure you killed it, don't sweat it. Most importantly, we're done!!! :highfive:

Let's hope for great scores for both of us. Either way, time to celebrate being done! :cigar:

UW is sentient. It knows that it's my last day doing it and it wants me to never forget it by stomping on my face for the last couple blocks.

Reactions: 2 users
UW is sentient. It knows that it's my last day doing it and it wants me to never forget it by stomping on my face for the last couple blocks.

Someone a few pages ago said "uworld giveth and uworld taketh away" and it's the truest thing I've ever read.
(I don't remember who I'm quoting and I'm too lazy to go digging for it/I should be doing uworld, but props to you)

Someone a few pages ago said "uworld giveth and uworld taketh away" and it's the truest thing I've ever read.
(I don't remember who I'm quoting and I'm too lazy to go digging for it/I should be doing uworld, but props to you)

Aww thanks. My UWorld graph looks like vtach. I had to keep telling myself that it giveth and taketh away all while doing it otherwise I'd get defeated.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Took NBME 13 today (offline). Scored ~237 (28 incorrect). Half the test was first order type of qs but those are double edged sword; either you know it or you don't. Not too thrilled with this score, but very content.

so far,

NBME 15 (baseline; 6 weeks before dedicated): 217
UWSA-1 (first day of dedicated): 228
NBME 11 (one week into dedicated): 236
UWSA-2 (two weeks into dedicated): 244
NBME 16 (3 weeks into dedicated): 233
NBME 12 (3.5 weeks into dedicated): 243
NBME 18 (4 weeks into dedicated): 241
NBME 13 (4.5 weeks into dedicated): 237

will take NBME 17 on Monday (5 weeks into dedicated and 4 days before the test).

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just did NBME 17 and I'd say it was way harder than 16.
It also brought me back down to reality after seeing that 249 on UWSA1.

Uworld - 60%/60th Percentile
NBME 16 - 222 (4.5 weeks out)
UWSA1 - 249 (2.5 weeks out)
NBME 17 - 226 (2 weeks out)
UWSA2 - TBD
NBME 18 - TBD

My test is this Saturday and I'm starting to panic a little because of my Uworld scores. I've been consistently hovering around 72-74% (currently 73%/86th percentile) on random timed blocks of 40. I have about 40% of Uworld left that I can do, but I think my my last few scores (68%, 70, 65%, and a 63%) are scaring me. I only had the chance to take NBME18 and got a 230. I'm wondering if I should just keep at it with Uworld or if I should just take it easy these last few days. I was hoping for a 240 before dedicated, but that doesn't seem too realistic at this point. What do you all think I should do?

My test is this Saturday and I'm starting to panic a little because of my Uworld scores. I've been consistently hovering around 72-74% (currently 73%/86th percentile) on random timed blocks of 40. I have about 40% of Uworld left that I can do, but I think my my last few scores (68%, 70, 65%, and a 63%) are scaring me. I only had the chance to take NBME18 and got a 230. I'm wondering if I should just keep at it with Uworld or if I should just take it easy these last few days. I was hoping for a 240 before dedicated, but that doesn't seem too realistic at this point. What do you all think I should do?

Now is probably not the time to take your foot off the gas man. Just get as much done as you possibly can.

Took NBME 13 today (offline). Scored ~237 (28 incorrect). Half the test was first order type of qs but those are double edged sword; either you know it or you don't. Not too thrilled with this score, but very content.

so far,

NBME 15 (baseline; 6 weeks before dedicated): 217
UWSA-1 (first day of dedicated): 228
NBME 11 (one week into dedicated): 236
UWSA-2 (two weeks into dedicated): 244
NBME 16 (3 weeks into dedicated): 233
NBME 12 (3.5 weeks into dedicated): 243
NBME 18 (4 weeks into dedicated): 241
NBME 13 (4.5 weeks into dedicated): 237

will take NBME 17 on Monday (5 weeks into dedicated and 4 days before the test).

Congrats on the nice score! I think you're sitting nicely for a very good shot at 240+ on the real deal! I'll be taking NBME 17 this Sunday, 1 week before my exam. Not planning on taking any more exams after that.

Just did NBME 17 and I'd say it was way harder than 16.
It also brought me back down to reality after seeing that 249 on UWSA1.

Uworld - 60%/60th Percentile
NBME 16 - 222 (4.5 weeks out)
UWSA1 - 249 (2.5 weeks out)
NBME 17 - 226 (2 weeks out)
UWSA2 - TBD
NBME 18 - TBD

The recent UWA's have been all over the place. I'd trust your NBMEs. I haven't taken 17 yet but 16 and 18 are generally considered to be the harder ones so your improvement is probably higher than what the 6 pts shown by the actual score.

I dont think talking another NBME this close to the exam is going to be any beneficial. Best thing to do will be to just do as many uworld as you can. Dont worry about the scores. Just focus on learning.

Anyone going to review radiology stuff or neuro slices? Any good quick resources?

Not planning on doing any radio or neuro but I came across this link today. It seems like a really good source for neuro anatomy.

Congrats on the nice score! I think you're sitting nicely for a very good shot at 240+ on the real deal! I'll be taking NBME 17 this Sunday, 1 week before my exam. Not planning on taking any more exams after that.

Thank you, man. You have been doing great too! Best wishes on NBME 17 and I'll look forward to seeing how you do.

at some point, is it best to just review what you're "weak" in?

Planning on starting of my last week before the exam with reviewing my weak areas (Embryo, repro, anatomy, etc.). I'll be spending 2 days on those areas then moving on to a review of my uworld notes (1 day), and ending with a general review of FA.

Planning on starting of my last week before the exam with reviewing my weak areas (Embryo, repro, anatomy, etc.). I'll be spending 2 days on those areas then moving on to a review of my uworld notes (1 day), and ending with a general review of FA.
What's your 'first pass' average score on Uworld if you don't mind sharing?

I was scoring mostly 50%-60% at the beginning and I have been scoring 60%+ in the last few blocks, and I just want to know where I at least stand... or if I need to crank up that stuff more--studying 14 hrs/day instead of 10+ that I am doing right now...

Last edited:
What's your 'first pass' average score on Uworld if you don't mind sharing?

I was scoring mostly 50%-60% at the beginning and I have been scoring 60%+ in the last few blocks, and I just want to know where I at least stand... or if I need to crank up that stuff more--studying 14 hrs/day instead of 10+ that I am doing right now...

I believe it was 62%. The first 15-20% of the questions I did were non-random/subject specific as I was going through FA. The rest were all random.

Sometimes?! I just want this bull**** to be OVER!!! I'm always tired. My body always aches. My eyes are always dry from staring at the computer screen.

Same here. Always tired. My brain tries to quiz me while I'm sleeping. :( thank God I'm taking it at 12 pm so I can sleep in on Monday

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Taking NBME 17 today; last practice test! 5 days before the real deal. :luck::xf:

My test is next Friday (eeeek!!!) and I'm doing UWSA-2 today and NBME 16 tomorrow. I'm required to do COMSAE-C on Monday, unfortunately. Currently trying to decide-- should I do NBME 17 on Tuesday three days before my USMLE, or should I bag it and just focus on content review?

My test is next Friday (eeeek!!!) and I'm doing UWSA-2 today and NBME 16 tomorrow. I'm required to do COMSAE-C on Monday, unfortunately. Currently trying to decide-- should I do NBME 17 on Tuesday three days before my USMLE, or should I bag it and just focus on content review?
I'd definitely do NBME 17. You need as much NBME exposure as possible. I'm taking NBME 17 on Monday and my test is on Thursday, so we are in the same position.

No more UW, back to spending the full day with FA.

Hello darkness my old friend...

Hey guys, I am a little concerned about my nbme 18 performance. I def felt frazzled as I was taking the test. I got a 239 which was almost a 20 point drop from my last nbme. I got a 258 on nbme 16 and a 251 on nbme 13. I figured I would drop on nbme 18 but didn't expect that much. I am kinda concerned because people say the real deal is most similar to 18. I have one week till my test and I am not sure what I should do.

Hey guys, I am a little concerned about my nbme 18 performance. I def felt frazzled as I was taking the test. I got a 239 which was almost a 20 point drop from my last nbme. I got a 258 on nbme 16 and a 251 on nbme 13. I figured I would drop on nbme 18 but didn't expect that much. I am kinda concerned because people say the real deal is most similar to 18. I have one week till my test and I am not sure what I should do.
My story is similar (but opposite) since I got 251 on 15, 256 on 18, and then 239 on 16!

Today I took NBME 17 and got 251. Please let the real-deal be this high :luck: or higher :angelic:

Here's to hoping our 239's were just outliers/flukes!!!

Reactions: 4 users
My story is similar (but opposite) since I got 251 on 15, 256 on 18, and then 239 on 16!

Today I took NBME 17 and got 251. Please let the real-deal be this high :luck: or higher :angelic:

Good job. 16 was definitely a fluke.

Thats great score for 17 considering how tight the curve is. I really hope so. I was planning on taking 17 on Monday. Hopefully that goes better. I just was concerned because of similarity between 18 and real deal.

Anybody doing the free 150? I kinda want to just because I don't want my question answering skills to atrophy while I'm doing a pass through FA the next couple days but I don't know if it's worth the time either...

Anybody doing the free 150? I kinda want to just because I don't want my question answering skills to atrophy while I'm doing a pass through FA the next couple days but I don't know if it's worth the time either...
Isn't it the free 138 now? Haha

I was considering doing it on Monday.... the more official NBME questions the better, right?

Why am I feeling like I'm forgetting everything as the day gets closer?? What is wrong with me?? Everything seems completely new.