BOTH Class of 2018 Board Study Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gobigorgohome22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow Class of 2018ers!

I hope everyone is enjoying the last free summer of your lives!

As the start of 2nd yr gets closer, I have started thinking a little about the infamous STEP 1 exams for USMLE and COMLEX (I'm an Osteopathic student). I thought it might be a good idea to have kind of a study group here to help keep me in check and keep each other in check as studying starts and decided to create this.

I would like to open this up to both USMLE and COMLEX discussion.

So, how's everyone spending their summer? Started thinking any about the hell that is going to be coming up over the next year?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all! Guess I'll join the bandwagon since my exam is next week. :nailbiting:

NBME 3: 165 in March
UWSA1: 186
NBME 5: 198
NBME 11: 230 four weeks ago
NBME 12: 209 three weeks ago
NBME 16: 205 two weeks ago
NBME 17: 222 last week
NBME 7: 228 (-34) two days ago
UWSA2: 243 (today)

Took UWSA2 and it was the most difficult out of all the exams I ever taken. Gave me a huge headache and there was way too much biochem and molecular stuff. Pretty much thought I would fail it. Last test will be NBME 18 and I'll be praying for a 230+ on the real deal. Anyone have any advice on how to strengthen physio for the last week? Physio is a wide bar for me, can go either way depending on my thinking process :( Thanks!

Nicely done today!! Exam next week as well and having major anxiety attacks. A week is not a long time for something like physio. Maybe pick the most physio based systems (cardio and renal) or systems you tend to be weak in and read through those sections of BRS Physio. It shouldn't take more than a day to do that. From what I've noticed, most of the really "think through" physio questions tend to be based on cardio so that might give you the best bang for your buck.

So I was stupid enough to read through "What are my chances" threads today in the residency forums. WHY WOULD I DO THIS!!! It just doubled my anxiety about Step scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone so my test is just around the corner and was hoping I could get some advice for the last few days. Up until now I have finished UWorld and USMLERx. My practice exams have been pretty stable the past few weeks:

NBME 12 (~3months ago) 222
NBME 16 (~1.5 months ago) 239
UWSA1 (1month ago) 254
UWSA2 (3wks ago) 249
NBME 18 (2wks ago) 249
NBME 17 (last Sunday) 251

My goal score is 240+ on the USMLE and 600+ on the COMLEX so I am hoping that I am in a good place. The past week I have finished my last pass through of FA and pathoma and now I was thinking I should maybe take another NBME + free sample questions. Should I take 13 or 15? or should I not even take another one at this point with my exam coming up on Monday? Any other tips for the last few days would be appreciated!

Took the beast today. Much, much harder than any NBME. I'll be happy with a score 20 points lower than my NBME average. I'll do a write up once I recover from this train wreck.

Took the beast today. Much, much harder than any NBME. I'll be happy with a score 20 points lower than my NBME average. I'll do a write up once I recover from this train wreck.

Felt the same way. My goal has always been 240, and despite getting 250s on UWSAs and my last NBME, my goal remains at a 240 since it was such a rollercoaster ride on test day.

What was your NBME average?

Felt the same way. My goal has always been 240, and despite getting 250s on UWSAs and my last NBME, my goal remains at a 240 since it was such a rollercoaster ride on test day.

What was your NBME average?
I did 8 NBMEs and my average on all of them is 236 (217-248)

Here come my write up:

Last night, I headed to bed early with the intention of getting 8 hours of sleep. Slept for one hour then woke up with a headache and a panic attack. Couldn't go back to sleep and stayed up until 2 am. Then fell asleep and woke up 4 hours later to get ready for the test.

Had 7 blocks, 40 questions each. The exam software is identical to that of UW. Same layout, tools, search function for labs, crossing out, etc..

The exam was biochem-heavy. Had about 5 questions on biostats/ethics per block. For the most part, these were doable. The micro questions were the worst. The exam felt evenly distributed throughout all systems, but like I said earlier, biochem had the lion's share.

There were a lot less one-line, first order questions. I'd say out of the 280qs, there were no more than 10 of those. No kidding. About 5% of the questions couldn't be answered with material covered in UW of FA.

All in all, I felt I bombed the test. I marked about 15 qs per block. That is twice as many as I usually mark when I take NBMEs. I blindly guessed on about 2qs per block. Timing was not an issue. I was finishing each block with 15-20 mins to spare, so I had ample time to go back and change my correct answers.

After going home, I went through FA and looked up the answers for the qs I could remember. I think that, so far, I know missed ~15 qs and the list is growing.

I'm praying for a generous curve. I feel somewhat disappointed. I hope my performance turns out to be better than I thought.

I'll spend the rest of the night reflecting and grieving then tomorrow I need to start my prep for COMLEX on Monday.

Reactions: 3 users
Here come my write up:

Last night, I headed to bed early with the intention of getting 8 hours of sleep. Slept for one hour then woke up with a headache and a panic attack. Couldn't go back to sleep and stayed up until 2 am. Then fell asleep and woke up 4 hours later to get ready for the test.

Had 7 blocks, 40 questions each. The exam software is identical to that of UW. Same layout, tools, search function for labs, crossing out, etc..

The exam was biochem-heavy. Had about 5 questions on biostats/ethics per block. For the most part, these were doable. The micro questions were the worst. The exam felt evenly distributed throughout all systems, but like I said earlier, biochem had the lion's share.

There were a lot less one-line, first order questions. I'd say out of the 280qs, there were no more than 10 of those. No kidding. About 5% of the questions couldn't be answered with material covered in UW of FA.

All in all, I felt I bombed the test. I marked about 15 qs per block. That is twice as many as I usually mark when I take NBMEs. I blindly guessed on about 2qs per block. Timing was not an issue. I was finishing each block with 15-20 mins to spare, so I had ample time to go back and change my correct answers.

After going home, I went through FA and looked up the answers for the qs I could remember. I think that, so far, I know missed ~15 qs and the list is growing.

I'm praying for a generous curve. I feel somewhat disappointed. I hope my performance turns out to be better than I thought.

I'll spend the rest of the night reflecting and grieving then tomorrow I need to start my prep for COMLEX on Monday.

Congratulations on getting done with the beast!! I am sure you did better than you think you did! One more and you are free :) would you say biochem heavy as in UWSA2 type?

Here come my write up:

Congratulations on being done!!! I have heard from multiple upperclassmen who scored very well (245+) who all felt like the exam was going to turn out to be a lot worst than it did. Im sure if someone who did as well as you on NBMEs felt the exam was hard, others probably felt the same. There will be a nice curve I'm pretty sure you'll end up with a 240+ score!

Now its time to forget about USMLE and spend next few days focusing on COMLEX! I'm sure you're gonna kill it bro!

I've been lurking and just signed up to add to the thread. I've been reading for a while, congratulations @Ibn Alnafis MD on being done!

Sooo I'm pretty discouraged, I guess I'm just posting to vent. Everyone on here seems to be doing so well. I'm not.

5/9 school CBSE results: 185
5/18 NBME 15: 196
5/24 NBME 16: 213
6/4 NBME 18: 215

I've been totally depressed after NBME 18. My score only went up 2 points after 10 days of studying. After seeing that, I fell into a slump that I can't seem to get out of. So depressed and anxious that whenever I try to study, I just panic and nothing sticks. I'm really behind on studying, too--I haven't covered all of cardio or pulm, and I need to go back and review stuff from May. I've never been a depressed or anxious person, and I've always been really adept at keeping calm or not stressing with stuff, so I'm really at a loss for coping with this constant, exhausting stress/panic. I never expected I would be doing so bad on the practice exams!

It's now 6/10 and my test is in 5 days. I'm desperately trying to reschedule to give myself 4 extra days (that's the latest I can take the test without delaying third year) so I can use those last couple days to do a once-over review of everything, which I think will help my confidence a lot. But so far there haven't been any open test dates.

I know I should stay off SDN, because when I read about how hard everyone says the exam was, I just panic more, but I feel really isolated in studying (I had to go back home away from classmates) so I get tempted to get on and read other people's experiences.

I would really, really, really be grateful for any advice or stories of similar situations. I'm not interested in going into any competitive fields, I just don't want to fail. I started out wanting to get above a 240, now I'm praying for at least 220. Or even 215.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations on getting done with the beast!! I am sure you did better than you think you did! One more and you are free :) would you say biochem heavy as in UWSA2 type?
Thanks.

I can't remember what were the qs like on UWSA2, but I can tell you that the biochem qs were very detailed. They weren't like the usual B1 increases the activity of transketolase type questions. Many of these questions were experiment based, so they also test your ability to do some critical thinking.

Congratulations on being done!!! I have heard from multiple upperclassmen who scored very well (245+) who all felt like the exam was going to turn out to be a lot worst than it did. Im sure if someone who did as well as you on NBMEs felt the exam was hard, others probably felt the same. There will be a nice curve I'm pretty sure you'll end up with a 240+ score!

Now its time to forget about USMLE and spend next few days focusing on COMLEX! I'm sure you're gonna kill it bro!

Thank you. I'm hoping that's the case. I can remember ~20qs I missed up on and that's scaring the hell out of me. What hurts more is that some of these qs that I got wrong weren't the ones I marked.

Anyways, as you said, it's time to forget about this crap and get started on COMLEX prep.

I've been lurking and just signed up to add to the thread. I've been reading for a while, congratulations @Ibn Alnafis MD on being done!

Sooo I'm pretty discouraged, I guess I'm just posting to vent. Everyone on here seems to be doing so well. I'm not.

I've been totally depressed after NBME 18. My score only went up 2 points after 10 days of studying. After seeing that, I fell into a slump that I can't seem to get out of. So depressed and anxious that whenever I try to study, I just panic and nothing sticks. I'm really behind on studying, too--I haven't covered all of cardio or pulm, and I need to go back and review stuff from May. I've never been a depressed or anxious person, and I've always been really adept at keeping calm or not stressing with stuff, so I'm really at a loss for coping with this constant, exhausting stress/panic. I never expected I would be doing so bad on the practice exams!

It's now 6/10 and my test is in 5 days. I'm desperately trying to reschedule to give myself 4 extra days (that's the latest I can take the test without delaying third year) so I can use those last couple days to do a once-over review of everything, which I think will help my confidence a lot. But so far there haven't been any open test dates.

I know I should stay off SDN, because when I read about how hard everyone says the exam was, I just panic more, but I feel really isolated in studying (I had to go back home away from classmates) so I get tempted to get on and read other people's experiences.

I would really, really, really be grateful for any advice or stories of similar situations. I'm not interested in going into any competitive fields, I just don't want to fail. I started out wanting to get above a 240, now I'm praying for at least 220. Or even 215.

The bolded is literally everyone. I feel you. What helps is just forgetting that everyone else in your class exists except for yourself. No matter what you're going to do the best YOU can do. Not your classmates. We can imagine all day the "what ifs" but there's no where else to go but forward. Think of it this way, the worst is to go through life imagining "what if I ____?" so by trying your hardest, in theory you will have no regrets. It's better to live with a 210 trying your hardest than someone who half-a**'s everything in life, gets a 240, is 60 years old and looks back wondering what more they could've done if they actually tried their hardest.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you. I'm hoping that's the case. I can remember ~20qs I missed up on and that's scaring the hell out of me. What hurts more is that some of these qs that I got wrong weren't the ones I marked.

Anyways, as you said, it's time to forget about this crap and get started on COMLEX prep.

Yea I looked up answers too. Worst feeling! Just gotta hope those were the only ones you missed

Reactions: 1 users

A lot of people are in your boat, they are just worried/not posting it on SDN. I'm roughly in the same boat, and feel the same way. Just remember that people usually post success stories, not the daily grind/struggle. 18 cut a bunch of people down that I've talked to. You will do fine. You will pass. You will be a doctor, and you will have the life you want to have (granted it doesn't involve anything too crazy, like winning the lottery or finding buried treasure).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thank you! Test is Monday. I was thinking something like:
- 1 day for my Uworld and goljan notes
- 1 day of hitting weak areas
- 3 days of going through FA
- 1 day to read all the pharm sections of FA
- Take it easy the last day. Probably just read through the rapid review and behavioral science sections. Also learn the pharmacokinetics formulas.
which goljan notes? the 30 page one or..?

Hey buddy,

I can completely understand what you're going though. I have never been the type of person that stresses about grades/tests but this test changes you. I was doing ok in terms of keeping anxiety low and keeping going but when I got to last week before the test (this week) its been bad. I've been watching shows on my comp instead of studying... Like WTF is wrong with me!!! 1 week before a huge test and im over here watching tv lol... But honestly that time that im not thinking about studying has helped me stay sane.

At the end of the day, I can pretty much guarantee that you'll pass. I would bet money on it! Most people score around their NBME's no matter how bad they think the test went so I'm sure you'll be fine.

While SDN has it's downsides for us normal folks that aren't scoring 245+, It's been really helpful avenue to vent. As @KP2AZ noted, there are lots of people in the same boat who are not posting. I think it's always nice for them to see/read other people's experiences who are also in similar scoring ranges.

Good luck with the last few days!!! Just make a schdule and try to stick to it. Dont worry about how others are doing. Focus on your weaknesses!

You got this!! We're all rooting for you!!!

A lot of people are in your boat, they are just worried/not posting it on SDN. I'm roughly in the same boat, and feel the same way. Just remember that people usually post success stories, not the daily grind/struggle. 18 cut a bunch of people down that I've talked to. You will do fine. You will pass. You will be a doctor, and you will have the life you want to have (granted it doesn't involve anything too crazy, like winning the lottery or finding buried treasure).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

which goljan notes? the 30 page one or..?

I took a few pages of notes, just quick bullet points, from the audio. That's what I was referring to.

There is a transcript of the audio out there that you can read as well. Its ~130 pages. I thought listening to the audio continuously all the way through (took 2 days) was a really helpful way of making it all come together and connecting the dots.

Edit:
Posted something about study sched, but wrong thread =x

Last edited:
So....

-10 weeks - 4/18/2016-NBME 11 – 198
-5 weeks - 5/20/2016 – NMBE 15 – 228
-4 weeks – 5/27/2016 – NBME 16 - 222
-3.5 weeks - 6/1/2016 - Kaplan FL Sim#6 – 68%
-2 weeks- 6/10/2016 – NBME 18 - 224

Was really hoping to be in the 240s by now. Obviously shooting for a 270, but will be very happy with a 240+. What do you guys think? Worried I don't have enough time.

So....

-10 weeks - 4/18/2016-NBME 11 – 198
-5 weeks - 5/20/2016 – NMBE 15 – 228
-4 weeks – 5/27/2016 – NBME 16 - 222
-3.5 weeks - 6/1/2016 - Kaplan FL Sim#6 – 68%
-2 weeks- 6/10/2016 – NBME 18 - 224

Was really hoping to be in the 240s by now. Obviously shooting for a 270, but will be very happy with a 240+. What do you guys think? Worried I don't have enough time.
When is your test?

NVM. Seems like it's 2 weeks away. That's still plenty of time. Keep at it

Apart from a few chapters from General Path ( Environmental, Electrolyte disorders, Nutritional ), I've never really used Goljan RR. Used Pathoma throughout the year. But now when I'm flipping through the book I'm seeing a few topics from each organ system I've never seen before, and its freaking me out.
Im doing pretty good in UWorld ( 78 % right now, not even half way through ), and way back in April , NBME 13 was 224.
Test in august, so do i start doing Goljan, even a few chapters, or will Pathoma be enough? Want to give it my best to get 260+.
Input appreciated!

I took NBME 13 and will take 15 tomorrow... I am planning to take 18 and UWSA1&2; should I take more NBME (like 16 & 17)?
Depends if you have the time/money. I only did 3 NBME exams and the 2 UWSA and don't feel like doing anymore lol. They take forever to do + review.

Just did NBME 18 and it was rough but turned out to be my best NBME. Good curve?
NBME 16 - 222 (4.5 weeks out)
UWSA 1 - 249 (2.5 weeks out)
NBME 17 - 226 (2 weeks out)
UWSA 2 -245 (1.5 weeks out)
NBME 18 - 232 (1 week out)

Anyway, test is next friday and I think I'd be happy with anything above 220. Hoping for 230+ though. I don't know what to expect because my scores seem to be all over the place.

I'm pretty burned out but I'm just gonna try to review as much FA plus do random questions in uworld + kaplan.

Last edited:
T-36 hrs to USMLE!

For those of you that have taken the test, we only need the following items right:
- ID
- scheduling permit
- food/drink
- a brain (maybe...)

T-36 hrs to USMLE!

For those of you that have taken the test, we only need the following items right:
- ID
- scheduling permit
- food/drink
- a brain (maybe...)

Yep. Lots of snacks is a good idea. I took a break after almost every block to chug some coffee/eat a little bit/use the bathroom and it helped my sanity (if not my score).

Yep. Lots of snacks is a good idea. I took a break after almost every block to chug some coffee/eat a little bit/use the bathroom and it helped my sanity (if not my score).
I should've done that. I did the first 4 blocks back to back. Then I took a 20 mins break followed by 2 blocks. Then a 10 mins break. I finished the test with ~30 mins of break time left. In my first break, I ate a banana and drank water. In my second break I drank a RedBull.

Depends if you have the time/money. I only did 3 NBME exams and the 2 UWSA and don't feel like doing anymore lol. They take forever to do + review.

Just did NBME 18 and it was rough but turned out to be my best NBME. Good curve?
NBME 16 - 222 (4.5 weeks out)
UWSA 1 - 249 (2.5 weeks out)
NBME 17 - 226 (2 weeks out)
UWSA 2 -245 (1.5 weeks out)
NBME 18 - 232 (1 week out)

Anyway, test is next friday and I think I'd be happy with anything above 220. Hoping for 230+ though. I don't know what to expect because my scores seem to be all over the place.

I'm pretty burned out but I'm just gonna try to review as much FA plus do random questions in uworld + kaplan.
I have another 4 weeks before taking that beast... I scored 188 in my diagnostic 3 weeks ago (NBME13), and I will also be happy with 220. I was initially gunning for 235+, but seeing how low my score was on NBME13, scoring 235+ is somewhat unrealistic. I am already burned out and don't have the money to spend in another 4 NBME...

Damn first 4 back to back? I would've been fried on that last block. Most I did was back-to-back. I took a 15 min break before my last block and still had a good amount of time left over. Granted, I didn't really eat lunch. Does anyone actually eat real food? Last thing I'd want is for blood to be going into my GI system.

T-36 hrs to USMLE!

- ID
- scheduling permit
- food/drink
- a brain (maybe...)
I brought my own foam ear plugs because I don't think the ones they provide are comfortable enough for 7 hours.....So if you're used to a certain type, feel free to bring those.

Damn first 4 back to back? I would've been fried on that last block. Most I did was back-to-back. I took a 15 min break before my last block and still had a good amount of time left over. Granted, I didn't really eat lunch. Does anyone actually eat real food? Last thing I'd want is for blood to be going into my GI system.
haha, I was WAY too nervous to eat a big enough breakfast before the exam...so after the second block and after getting all the test anxiety out, I chowed down. I was glad to have a big variety of food as well, since I had no idea beforehand what my stomach would be able to handle. Lots of fruit, hard candy, PBJ, and Cliff Bars. If I pass the exam, it's because I brought food. :happy:

When did you have your test? Also, did you take COMLEX?

I took it June 4th, and took COMLEX the Saturday before.

haha, I was WAY too nervous to eat a big enough breakfast before the exam...so after the second block and after getting all the test anxiety out, I chowed down. I was glad to have a big variety of food as well, since I had no idea beforehand what my stomach would be able to handle. Lots of fruit, hard candy, PBJ, and Cliff Bars. If I pass the exam, it's because I brought food. :happy:

My routine every break was get water and walk to the restroom haha. And ate gummy worms lol

Hello Class of 2018,
I am not in your class or school! but I was wondering if any of you all used Doctors in training? and if anyone has dit workbook?? I really need it, if anyone has it please let me know :)

I would really appreciate it

Thanks!

I am devastated...

After 3 weeks of studying, no improvement at all...

NBME 13 ... 188 (May 20th)
NBME 15... 190 (June 12th)

I don't know what to do next... My exam is in 4 weeks.

4 weeks is plenty of time to improve your score. Continue working hard and you'll eventually see it pay off. Also, don't let practice exam scores bring your confidence down because confidence is just as important on test day as how much information you know. Good luck.

I am devastated...

After 3 weeks of studying, no improvement at all...

NBME 13 ... 188 (May 20th)
NBME 15... 190 (June 12th)

I don't know what to do next... My exam is in 4 weeks.

4 weeks is plenty of time to improve your score. Continue working hard and you'll eventually see it pay off. Also, don't let practice exam scores bring your confidence down because confidence is just as important on test day as how much information you know. Good luck.
I would like to score 220+ on the real thing and I don't see how is this possible with that 190 after completing half of Uworld... This is going to be a rough 4 weeks!

I would like to score 220+ on the real thing and I don't see how is this possible with that 190 after completing half of Uworld... This is going to be a rough 4 weeks!
You are feeling down and I understand that because I would too if I were in your situation. You have 4 more weeks though. That's how much total prep time a lot of med schools give their students. You can easily reach your goal score by doing UWorld and memorizing FA. You are very close to a passing score, so keep working hard and your score will only go up from here.