BOTH Class of 2018 Board Study Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gobigorgohome22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow Class of 2018ers!

I hope everyone is enjoying the last free summer of your lives!

As the start of 2nd yr gets closer, I have started thinking a little about the infamous STEP 1 exams for USMLE and COMLEX (I'm an Osteopathic student). I thought it might be a good idea to have kind of a study group here to help keep me in check and keep each other in check as studying starts and decided to create this.

I would like to open this up to both USMLE and COMLEX discussion.

So, how's everyone spending their summer? Started thinking any about the hell that is going to be coming up over the next year?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Dang! Took NBME 17 and my score dropped to a 226! What gives? Anyone else's score fluctuate like this? Seems like everyone else's is pretty consistent. 10 days till the real thing... Really hoping my score ends up more toward the 245 than the 226...

Update: took NMBE 16 today and got a 245 :) I'm definitely happy with the score but what makes me uneasy is that my scores haven't been consistent.

USWA1: 227 (~2 months)
NBME15: 215 (~1.5 months before)
NBME13: 239
NBME12: 224
NBME16: 245 (today)

I'm guessing my weaker areas were tested on the days that I scored poorly? Goal is to work on those the remaining 2.5 weeks and hope for the best... Any other thoughts?

Dang! Took NBME 17 and my score dropped to a 226! What gives? Anyone else's score fluctuate like this? Seems like everyone else's is pretty consistent. 10 days till the real thing... Really hoping my score ends up more toward the 245 than the 226...

Do you have any areas that you're consistently getting nailed on? Any weak points? I think NBME 17 is more punishing because the scale is so harsh.

Members don't see this ad :)
Biochem and biostats are my week areas- although Neuro I didn't do too hot on this last exam. My last week I'm going to review biochem and biostats +1 and some anatomy (neuro anatomy I think got me on this exam). Did you just use FA for biochem and biostats? Kind of crazy- Just realized I got an 84% overall on the exam and it translates to a 226- why such a harsh curve? Going to take NBME 18 next week and hope my score improves.

Do you have any areas that you're consistently getting nailed on? Any weak points? I think NBME 17 is more punishing because the scale is so harsh.

Biochem and biostats are my week areas- although Neuro I didn't do too hot on this last exam. My last week I'm going to review biochem and biostats +1 and some anatomy (neuro anatomy I think got me on this exam). Did you just use FA for biochem and biostats? Kind of crazy- Just realized I got an 84% overall on the exam and it translates to a 226- why such a harsh curve? Going to take NBME 18 next week and hope my score improves.

ouchhhh 84% = 226! That's harshhhhh. Not looking forward to taking it tomorrow.

Just took the COMLEX today. Good lord, what a horrible test. It's brutally long too, 400q. What the heck is up with the breaks not stopping the clock? Really annoying to have to rush to the bathroom and back so you don't lose time. Just glad to be done with everything finally. OMM questions were either really easy (e.g. know viscerosomatics/Chapman's) or just WTF difficult and no amount of prep could help. I think my 2 days of OMM review after the USMLE was the perfect amount.

Reactions: 2 users
Just took the COMLEX today. Good lord, what a horrible test. It's brutally long too, 400q. What the heck is up with the breaks not stopping the clock? Really annoying to have to rush to the bathroom and back so you don't lose time. Just glad to be done with everything finally. OMM questions were either really easy (e.g. know viscerosomatics/Chapman's) or just WTF difficult and no amount of prep could help. I think my 2 days of OMM review after the USMLE was the perfect amount.

I happen to have a week between USMLE and COMLEX. Is there anything specific you'd recommend looking over during that week other than pure OMM? Also what percent of the questions did you think were OMM?

Congrats on being done with both!!! And thank you for sharing!

I happen to have a week between USMLE and COMLEX. Is there anything specific you'd recommend looking over during that week other than pure OMM? Also what percent of the questions did you think were OMM?

Congrats on being done with both!!! And thank you for sharing!

There was less OMM than I thought there would be. It's maybe relevant in like 10-15% of questions as a rough estimate. Know viscerosomatics. Know chapmans. One thing that caught me off guard was the amount of neuro on the test. If anything I'd recommend going over that even more in depth than what's in FA, though in a week don't know how feasible that is.

There was less OMM than I thought there would be. It's maybe relevant in like 10-15% of questions as a rough estimate. Know viscerosomatics. Know chapmans. One thing that caught me off guard was the amount of neuro on the test. If anything I'd recommend going over that even more in depth than what's in FA, though in a week don't know how feasible that is.

I haven't taken COMLEX yet, but wanted to give a shout out to "Neuro Made Ridiculously Simple" for anyone trying to cram some neuro in a hurry. It was clutch for our neuro block exam second year and I'm planning on using it again in my week between USMLE and COMLEX (along with the green bible of course).

Reactions: 1 users
Took my last NBME EVER (well, till step 2 rolls around)!! Took NBME 17 this morning. Exactly 1 week till the real deal. I dont plan on taking any more exams. I thought the test was on par with some of the earlier (13-15) NBMEs. That curve though! It's gotta be the hardest curve of any NBME. I ended up getting my highest percentage (87%) correct but an average score.
  • NBME 17: 234 (1 week!)
  • COMAE: 605 (1.5 weeks)
  • NBME 13 (offline): 237 +/- 5 (2 weeks)
  • NBME 18: 232 & UWA2: 230 (3 weeks)
  • NBME 12 (offline): 85% = 236 +/- 5 (4 weeks)
  • NBME 16: 215 (5 weeks)
  • NBME 15: 225 (~7 weeks out)
  • UWA 1: 195 (~9 weeks out)
  • COMSE: 395
  • NBME 5 (offline): 187 (4 months out)
Looks like I'll be in the 235-240 range on the actual exam which I'd be happy with.
I need to make a plan for the last week at some point today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Took my last NBME EVER (well, till step 2 rolls around)!! Took NBME 17 this morning. Exactly 1 week till the real deal. I dont plan on taking any more exams. I thought the test was on par with some of the earlier (13-15) NBMEs. That curve though! It's gotta be the hardest curve of any NBME. I ended up getting my highest percentage (87%) correct but an average score.
  • NBME 17: 234 (1 week!)
  • COMAE: 605 (1.5 weeks)
  • NBME 13 (offline): 237 +/- 5 (2 weeks)
  • NBME 18: 232 & UWA2: 230 (3 weeks)
  • NBME 12 (offline): 85% = 236 +/- 5 (4 weeks)
  • NBME 16: 215 (5 weeks)
  • NBME 15: 225 (~7 weeks out)
  • UWA 1: 195 (~9 weeks out)
  • COMSE: 395
  • NBME 5 (offline): 187 (4 months out)
Looks like I'll be in the 235-240 range on the actual exam which I'd be happy with.
I need to make a plan for the last week at some point today.

Nice score!

The curve is freaking ridiculous. 26 mistakes => 234!!! WTF??? I bet that if you got 87% on the real test you'd end up with a high 240s.
What's your plan now? Your test is on Sunday, right?

Nice score!

The curve is freaking ridiculous. 26 mistakes => 234!!! WTF??? I bet that if you got 87% on the real test you'd end up with a high 240s.
What's your plan now? Your test is on Sunday, right?

Thank you! Test is Monday. I was thinking something like:
- 1 day for my Uworld and goljan notes
- 1 day of hitting weak areas
- 3 days of going through FA
- 1 day to read all the pharm sections of FA
- Take it easy the last day. Probably just read through the rapid review and behavioral science sections. Also learn the pharmacokinetics formulas.

Got pissed after my exam the other day so I ended up taking NBME 18 today- 237! Little lower than I wanted but after yesterdays exam I'll take it!! 10 more days!!

I took NBME 7 casually over 3 days and got 88% (~238). 70% of the qs were very very easy. Few qs were WTF. I did a lot of careless mistakes.

-COMSAE D 484 6month out
-COMSAE E 737 6 weeks out
-NBME 15 234 6 weeks out
-UWSA 264 2 weeks out
-NBME 16 254 1.5 weeks out
-NBME 17 266 1 week out

Looking for some advice on what to study during my last week, I"m on my second pass of Uworld and have about 25% left and its been my main resource during dedicated. I really haven't looked at FA since class ended and was wondering if it would be better to just truck through my second UW pass or try to speed through FA in the week I have left. Also wondering what last minute high yield resources you guys use, like the blue boxes in Goljan/high yield section in FA for a last minute cram.

-COMSAE D 484 6month out
-COMSAE E 737 6 weeks out
-NBME 15 234 6 weeks out
-UWSA 264 2 weeks out
-NBME 16 254 1.5 weeks out
-NBME 17 266 1 week out

Looking for some advice on what to study during my last week, I"m on my second pass of Uworld and have about 25% left and its been my main resource during dedicated. I really haven't looked at FA since class ended and was wondering if it would be better to just truck through my second UW pass or try to speed through FA in the week I have left. Also wondering what last minute high yield resources you guys use, like the blue boxes in Goljan/high yield section in FA for a last minute cram.

With these scores, we should be turning to you for advice :)

With these scores, we should be turning to you for advice :)

hahahah, my dedicated breaks down to like 85% UW, 15% sketchy. I was lurking last night and it seemed like a lot of people felt like there pass through FA really drove home some stuff they were shaky on, and I was wondering if there was anyone else that suicided Uworld during dedicated and if they regret not looking at FA

Every time I open FA to look something up or to read, there is SOOOO much info on each page that I dont know at all! It's unnerving how little I know after studying so hard for so long.

Every time I open FA to look something up or to read, there is SOOOO much info on each page that I dont know at all! It's unnerving how little I know after studying so hard for so long.

I'm catching myself saying "I'll learn it later" but then I realize that THERE'S NO MORE LATER :arghh:

Reactions: 4 users
I'm catching myself saying "I'll learn it later" but then I realize that THERE'S NO MORE LATER :arghh:

hahahaha On one hand, I wish I had more time to study and learn everything. On the other hand, **** that! I just want it to be over!

How many more days do you have left?

OMG I take STEP tomorrow at 12!!!! Ahhhh! And my brain went on strike last night and this morning. I have no idea what to expect since my last 3 NBMES were 16 at 226, 18 at 239 and 17 at 254.

hahahaha On one hand, I wish I had more time to study and learn everything. On the other hand, **** that! I just want it to be over!

How many more days do you have left?

Yeah, I honestly don't know how to answer when people ask me how I feel anymore. I'm looking forward to the end but I don't want to face the music just yet. Mine's in 2 days.

Holy crap, I just had my first pre-exam nightmare since undergrad. I dreamed that I realized that I forgot to study for the verbal and physics section. I was about to get out of bed and reschedule my exam. :laugh:

Ugh, having issues with the Uworld software. Was in the middle of UWSA2 and paused to use the bathroom. When I tried to go back in it wouldn't load. Closed the software. Now my SimExam software and Qbank wont load. Anyone else?

Ugh, having issues with the Uworld software. Was in the middle of UWSA2 and paused to use the bathroom. When I tried to go back in it wouldn't load. Closed the software. Now my SimExam software and Qbank wont load. Anyone else?

Same thing happened to me while doing UW 30 min ago, works with the iPad application though.

Looks like an outage.

Hi,
We are aware of the issue and are currently working on a solution. Our developers anticipate that our servers will be down for 1-2 hours. We appreciate your patience and apologize for the inconvenience.
Thank you, UWorld Support Team

Looks like an outage.

Hi,
We are aware of the issue and are currently working on a solution. Our developers anticipate that our servers will be down for 1-2 hours. We appreciate your patience and apologize for the inconvenience.
Thank you, UWorld Support Team

I was debating whether I should do a couple UW blocks or just read FA for today. Thanks for making my decision for me UW!

How do you guys/gals use Pathoma? Do you watch/listen to his presentations and also read the book? I watched them during MS2 year and I am trying to do that again, but it's taking so much of my time...

How do you guys/gals use Pathoma? Do you watch/listen to his presentations and also read the book? I watched them during MS2 year and I am trying to do that again, but it's taking so much of my time...

I took detailed notes when I watched it for class during first 2 yrs. Now, I just read. I tend to remember it better when I read compared to videos in general.

I watched his lectures and annotated during classes and primarily used pathoma as a review by rereading the chapters while studying for boards. Some people learn better by listening and watching so if that's your learning style I would consider watching them over again- but if not it might be too time consuming / counterproductive to rewatch them.

Just took the free 117 USMLE sample qs. Got 83.7% (98/117). The questions were tougher than regular NBME qs in my opinion. There were no first-order questions.

This is my final progress report before my test on Thursday:

NBME 15 (baseline; 6 weeks before dedicated): 217
UWSA-1 (first day of dedicated): 228
NBME 11 (one week into dedicated): 236
UWSA-2 (two weeks into dedicated): 244
NBME 16 (3 weeks into dedicated): 233
NBME 12 (3.5 weeks into dedicated): 243
NBME 18 (4 weeks into dedicated): 241
NBME 13 (4.5 weeks into dedicated): 237
NBME 7 (took it 4.5 weeks into dedicated): 238
NBME 17 (5 weeks into dedicated and 3 weeks before test): 248
Free 117: (5 weeks into dedicated and 2 days before test): 83.7%

I'll spend the remaining of my day finalizing FA and pathoma. Tomorrow I'll take couple hours reading the rapid review section of FA then relax the rest of the day.

So i havent been able to find a FAQ on the NBME website that definitely answers this question:

The questions asked on the NBME practice exams. Are they actual, retired, old usmle questions that were at one time asked as exam questions on the actual USMLE, or are they the equivalent of some other agency making questions up, like uWorld is?

Took NBME 19 today. Crazy that they charge you 10x the price and won't even give you feedback.

Just took the free 117 USMLE sample qs. Got 83.7% (98/117). The questions were tougher than regular NBME qs in my opinion. There were no first-order questions.

This is my final progress report before my test on Thursday:

NBME 15 (baseline; 6 weeks before dedicated): 217
UWSA-1 (first day of dedicated): 228
NBME 11 (one week into dedicated): 236
UWSA-2 (two weeks into dedicated): 244
NBME 16 (3 weeks into dedicated): 233
NBME 12 (3.5 weeks into dedicated): 243
NBME 18 (4 weeks into dedicated): 241
NBME 13 (4.5 weeks into dedicated): 237
NBME 7 (took it 4.5 weeks into dedicated): 238
NBME 17 (5 weeks into dedicated and 3 weeks before test): 248
Free 117: (5 weeks into dedicated and 2 days before test): 83.7%

I'll spend the remaining of my day finalizing FA and pathoma. Tomorrow I'll take couple hours reading the rapid review section of FA then relax the rest of the day.

Great improvement man!
What was your UWorld percentage btw? and did you do it in dedicated or earlier?

Great improvement man!
What was your UWorld percentage btw? and did you do it in dedicated or earlier?
Thank you.

I started UW 6 weeks before my dedicated. I was doing ~4 blocks per week for those 6 weeks. Then when dedicated started, I started doing 2-3 per day. Two weeks into my dedicated, I was done with my first pass. For the remaining time (~3wks) I redid over 60% of the Qbank. Some days I'd do 3 and others I'd do 4 blocks.

When I first started out, I was averaging low 60s on it. Then towards the end, I was getting mid to high 70s. All in all, my first pass was 70% correct. My second pass was 88% correct for obvious reasons.

I'm hoping that all this preparation will earn me an above average score on the real test.

Thank you.

I started UW 6 weeks before my dedicated. I was doing ~4 blocks per week for those 6 weeks. Then when dedicated started, I started doing 2-3 per day. Two weeks into my dedicated, I was done with my first pass. For the remaining time (~3wks) I redid over 60% of the Qbank. Some days I'd do 3 and others I'd do 4 blocks.

When I first started out, I was averaging low 60s on it. Then towards the end, I was getting mid to high 70s. All in all, my first pass was 70% correct. My second pass was 88% correct for obvious reasons.

I'm hoping that all this preparation will earn me an above average score on the real test.

Well done, man! My average is exactly at 70%, but the last NBME i took (2 weeks ago) placed me at ~220. I'm really hoping i can convert my USMLE score to an improved NBME score

Thank you.

You look set to do well! Don't worry!
Im scoring in the high 70's- mid 80's right now, but I'm trying to focus more on learning than be obsessed with percentages. Not really happening though :/

1 week till the big day!! Good luck everyone! Hope studying is going well!

Took my Step 1 today! Not thrilled about the long wait for scores but verrry excited to be done! Test went smoothly enough, definitely passed, wasn't too pressed for time. Came home and dug through FA; found at least a dozen I missed ....sigh (always do this after exams, can't help myself)

Reactions: 3 users
Took my Step 1 today! Not thrilled about the long wait for scores but verrry excited to be done! Test went smoothly enough, definitely passed, wasn't too pressed for time. Came home and dug through FA; found at least a dozen I missed ....sigh (always do this after exams, can't help myself)

Congratulations on being done!!!

Hi all! Guess I'll join the bandwagon since my exam is next week. :nailbiting:

NBME 3: 165 in March
UWSA1: 186
NBME 5: 198
NBME 11: 230 four weeks ago
NBME 12: 209 three weeks ago
NBME 16: 205 two weeks ago
NBME 17: 222 last week
NBME 7: 228 (-34) two days ago
UWSA2: 243 (today)
NBME18: 234

Took UWSA2 and it was the most difficult out of all the exams I ever taken. Gave me a huge headache and there was way too much biochem and molecular stuff. Pretty much thought I would fail it. Last test will be NBME 18 and I'll be praying for a 230+ on the real deal. Anyone have any advice on how to strengthen physio for the last week? Physio is a wide bar for me, can go either way depending on my thinking process :( Thanks!

Last edited: