Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No not even Penn State. I noticed that about half of my classmates were OOS during UG and the MSAR says pretty much the same thing with the school of medicine.

Wow, that's surprising! I didn't know that.

Members don't see this ad.

That number is a bit inflated, sorry.
For PSU undergrad it's about 60:40 where in PSU College of Medicine it's really close to 50:50 (in fact, they offered MORE interviews to OOS according to the MSAR)

Yeeeeeup. Basically.

Hahaha 50s-60s is not cold! I don't know though. It's not the heat I mind as much -- dry heat is fine. Wet, moist, sticky heat is almost unbearable.

We have a little of both and our weather is pretty random. Saturday morning was so hot I almost spotaneously combusted into flames going to the library to study for the MCAT. Today is like 62 degrees and people are ready to build campfires... 3/4's of my class didn't even get out of bed today lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I wanted to come by and introduce myself - I'll be applying summer 2014 as well. I'm sure I'll be hanging out with you all quite a bit over the next couple of months :) Hopefully you're good company haha

I'm currently in my junior year trying to maintain/increase a 3.75cGPA/3.65sGPA. Took my MCAT this summer and got a 32! Can't believe how steadily the allopathic accepted averages are increasing; seems like only yesterday the MCAT average was a 30.

Also trying to get in some good medical ECs, as I've primarily been involved in research and science outreach activities for the past 2-ish years. Kind of lacking in the shadowing and clinical opportunities section. To be honest with you, I haven't done much shadowing since high school, so I kinda have my work cut out for me as far as ECs go.

Looks like you all are a bunch of geniuses so hopefully it rubs off on me. Haha I laughed when I saw how old this thread is. Looks like I've been slacking :p

I need to stop going on SDN. Everyone's GPAs and ECs make me feel bad :(

I need to stop going on SDN. Everyone's GPAs and ECs make me feel bad :(
The fact that I'm in the library watching TV right now should make you feel infinitely better about yourself haha. Yup, I'm that girl.

But in my defense, I have my back to a bunch of books so hopefully nobody will notice ;)

Also, I agree haha I just got done browsing the WAMC section. I'm currently wondering what the hell I've been doing with my time for the past couple of years...

Hey guys, I wanted to come by and introduce myself - I'll be applying summer 2014 as well. I'm sure I'll be hanging out with you all quite a bit over the next couple of months :) Hopefully you're good company haha

I'm currently in my junior year trying to maintain/increase a 3.75cGPA/3.65sGPA. Took my MCAT this summer and got a 32! Can't believe how steadily the allopathic accepted averages are increasing; seems like only yesterday the MCAT average was a 30.

Also trying to get in some good medical ECs, as I've primarily been involved in research and science outreach activities for the past 2-ish years. Kind of lacking in the shadowing and clinical opportunities section. To be honest with you, I haven't done much shadowing since high school, so I kinda have my work cut out for me as far as ECs go.

Looks like you all are a bunch of geniuses so hopefully it rubs off on me. Haha I laughed when I saw how old this thread is. Looks like I've been slacking :p
:welcome: Yeah theres some gunners in here, watch yourself! lol jk Your grades are good and so is your MCAT, what state are you in? As you can see we have been talking about our school list, do you know all the schools you want to apply to?

Haha all of you will be fine. I'm already intimidated by you guys :(

:welcome: Yeah theres some gunners in here, watch yourself! lol jk Your grades are good and so is your MCAT, what state are you in? As you can see we have been talking about our school list, do you know all the schools you want to apply to?
Thanks for the welcome! I know I'm being paranoid but I'd rather not specifically say which state. I'm from the northeast though so I'll be applying to a lot of schools up there.

Honestly I've looked into MSAR and if anything it's just confused me more. I'm so scared of what seems like a discrepancy between the MSAR stats and the school specific threads on here. It looks like I'm about average for a lot of schools on MSAR, like Temple and GWU. But then I go to the thread and all of these geniuses are rejected. I know that people say there are more factors than just the numbers, but it's scary haha. :( I made a tentative list in my head (lmao) of some schools I'm interested in, like Drexel, UMiami, Jefferson, etc. but I don't know how many of these are long shots.

Wow, that's surprising! I didn't know that.
Yea from: Table 1.
https://www.aamc.org/download/321442/data/2012factstable1.pdf

PA schools (alphabetical order): IS/OOS % matriculants
Commonwealth: 63/37
Drexel: 34/66
Jefferson: 38/62
Penn State: 48/52
UPenn: 15/85 (Ivy)
UPittsburgh: 23/77
Temple: 53/47

So only Commonwealth and Temple are >50% acceptance of IS.
Compared to nearby states: Ohio (7 schools) has 5/7 > 50% IS acceptances, and NY has like 13 schools? also 5 schools >50% IS. NJ has 3 with 2/3 having >90% IS. and Maryland has 3 (UMD state school with 78% IS, Johns Hopkins, and Uniformed Services) So basically if you don't make it in PA, you have to move a few states a way.

Most other PA students I know apply to Mass. schools like Tufts and Boston or DC schools and join the masses applying to Georgetown.

Haha all of you will be fine. I'm already intimidated by you guys :(

Thanks for the welcome! I know I'm being paranoid but I'd rather not specifically say which state. I'm from the northeast though so I'll be applying to a lot of schools up there.

Honestly I've looked into MSAR and if anything it's just confused me more. I'm so scared of what seems like a discrepancy between the MSAR stats and the school specific threads on here. It looks like I'm about average for a lot of schools on MSAR, like Temple and GWU. But then I go to the thread and all of these geniuses are rejected. I know that people say there are more factors than just the numbers, but it's scary haha. :( I made a tentative list in my head (lmao) of some schools I'm interested in, like Drexel, UMiami, Jefferson, etc. but I don't know how many of these are long shots.

Remember that only ~90% of applicants with a 3.8+GPA and a 36+MCAT get in. A lot of these "geniuses" may not be very personable/sociable and ruin their chances when they interview. Numbers look great on paper, but being able to communicate is definitely top of the list when it comes to making a good impression.

I think this:
https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/157998/mcat-gpa-grid-by-selected-race-ethnicity.html
is a good source to give you "the numbers" on WAMC. But remember these are just numbers. Making a unique, lasting impression and really letting the admissions members (including interviewer medical students) will always improve your chances. Kevin Ahern has a 2-part series on youtube about how to do well in a med school interview. I think it is a good place to start in terms of being prepared. And use your time until the application season to start doing mock interviews. Also, make sure your application is flawless. Things like persistent typos and grammatical errors will get a 40+ MCAT thrown out the window.

Anyway, I think you'll be fine as well. If you're ever in doubt, apply more broadly! Sure it costs a lot of money to apply, but think about it. The extra $2,000 to apply to an extra 3-5 schools could be the difference between becoming a doctor and not.

Reactions: 1 user
Remember that only ~90% of applicants with a 3.8+GPA and a 36+MCAT get in. A lot of these "geniuses" may not be very personable/sociable and ruin their chances when they interview. Numbers look great on paper, but being able to communicate is definitely top of the list when it comes to making a good impression.

I think this:
https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/157998/mcat-gpa-grid-by-selected-race-ethnicity.html
is a good source to give you "the numbers" on WAMC. But remember these are just numbers. Making a unique, lasting impression and really letting the admissions members (including interviewer medical students) will always improve your chances. Kevin Ahern has a 2-part series on youtube about how to do well in a med school interview. I think it is a good place to start in terms of being prepared. And use your time until the application season to start doing mock interviews. Also, make sure your application is flawless. Things like persistent typos and grammatical errors will get a 40+ MCAT thrown out the window.

Anyway, I think you'll be fine as well. If you're ever in doubt, apply more broadly! Sure it costs a lot of money to apply, but think about it. The extra $2,000 to apply to an extra 3-5 schools could be the difference between becoming a doctor and not.
Yeah you're totally right. This is a really stupid question and I apologize in advance for it (and for the ****ty phrasing). Are those stats for applicants who were accepted to at least one school? Or the overall rate of all applications?

Meaning, is this just telling you how many people with a specific score got accepted into ANY med school, or their acceptance rate for all of the med schools they applied to?

Yeah I was thinking about 15 schools but I would definitely have to get some financial help from the parents. I've been seeing people doing more than 20, so maybe I'll talk to my parents and see if they can spot me some extra so I can apply that broadly. :p

Yeah you're totally right. This is a really stupid question and I apologize in advance for it (and for the ****ty phrasing). Are those stats for applicants who were accepted to at least one school? Or the overall rate of all applications?

Meaning, is this just telling you how many people with a specific score got accepted into ANY med school, or their acceptance rate for all of the med schools they applied to?

Yeah I was thinking about 15 schools but I would definitely have to get some financial help from the parents. I've been seeing people doing more than 20, so maybe I'll talk to my parents and see if they can spot me some extra so I can apply that broadly. :p
Yes to the bolded. For instance there were 5365 total white applicants with 3.6-3.79GPA with a 27-29MCAT bewteen 2010-2012. Of those, 2672 (49.8%) were accepted to at least 1 school. To my understanding the way the data is obtained suggests that these 2672 accepted students are labeled as "matriculants." In other words they were accepted and chose which school they were going to attend (since you can only attend one).

As for scrounging up extra money, well, I plan on working a lot over summer break.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes to the bolded. For instance there were 5365 total white applicants with 3.6-3.79GPA with a 27-29MCAT bewteen 2010-2012. Of those, 2672 (49.8%) were accepted to at least 1 school. To my understanding the way the data is obtained suggests that these 2672 accepted students are labeled as "matriculants." In other words they were accepted and chose which school they were going to attend (since you can only attend one).

As for scrounging up extra money, well, I plan on working a lot over summer break.
Awesome, thank you!

Terrified that the acceptance rate for my block is about 70% but I'll keep my fingers crossed

Whoa lots of posts. I can't reply to them all! But welcome to the newcomer!!!! And to everyone being sad: nooooooo!!! You guys are awesome and I believe in you. I think we are all doing great just by being here and educating ourselves. It's totally natural to be down on yourself but all of your apps look really promising to me.

And cheer up! It's almost the holidays. :)

I think this:

Well said

pinky promise?
tumblr_mtj23eadar1s6c5h5o1_500.gif

Last edited:
The more I think about it, the more I realize that my ECs suck and I'm starting to worry.
:(

Reactions: 1 user
lol
The more I think about it, the more I realize that my ECs suck and I'm starting to worry.
:(
Chin up guys, its natural to worry a bit but most of us will probably have the same or similar EC's. Just find something you're passionate about and things will take care of itself. There is still time to beef up some EC's if needed :)

I just really feel like I'm severely lacking in volunteerism. Everywhere I try to volunteer with, they're either full (and won't have opening for months) or they never respond. I'm stuck.

I'm lacking in recent volunteerism too. But I'm so busy... Trying to decide if I should take something on next semester.

What do you guys think make for good ECs?

I'm lacking in overall volunteerism. I feel like that's going to kill my application.
Well, I work 30 hours a week and mostly 2nd shift so there isn't much time for anything.

I just really feel like I'm severely lacking in volunteerism. Everywhere I try to volunteer with, they're either full (and won't have opening for months) or they never respond. I'm stuck.

Hmm.. I had the problem at one point too. Does your school have a pre-med program/department or pre-professional program? They may be in the loop for some unique opportunities. Also check with the Honors program they always have some good stuff.

I'm lacking in recent volunteerism too. But I'm so busy... Trying to decide if I should take something on next semester.

What do you guys think make for good ECs?
Either something meaningful that your passionate about, demonstrates altruism, or exemplifies leadership?

I'm lacking in overall volunteerism. I feel like that's going to kill my application.
Well, I work 30 hours a week and mostly 2nd shift so there isn't much time for anything.

What is something you like doing? Do you like working with kids? Tutoring? Sports? If so, that might make for less common types of volunteering! Try elementary or middle schools, YMCA, boys and girls clubs.

Hmm.. I had the problem at one point too. Does your school have a pre-med program/department or pre-professional program? They may be in the loop for some unique opportunities. Also check with the Honors program they always have some good stuff.

Either something meaningful that your passionate about, demonstrates altruism, or exemplifies leadership?

I think I have the first one down, sort of the third, but not really the second. I mean kind of. I don't know! Why can't one be employed yet also care about people?

I've already graduated and I'm 190 miles away from my undergrad :(
It would be easy to do that if I were there, I accumulated about 10 hours through that in probably 2 weeks, not a lot, I know. (with my honors society, consequences of changing your major junior year)

I have a dog rescue I volunteer with, but as I can't foster a dog, i can only do what they need me to do, which is about 2-4 hours a week. I could also be a dog walker, but thanks to my work schedule, I can't get where I need to be.

What is something you like doing? Do you like working with kids? Tutoring? Sports? If so, that might make for less common types of volunteering! Try elementary or middle schools, YMCA, boys and girls clubs.

I've looked into it, but I don't get off work until 9 pm and I go in at about noon. So unless I can find something early in the morning, I'm screwed.

I've looked into it, but I don't get off work until 9 pm and I go in at about noon. So unless I can find something early in the morning, I'm screwed.

Hmmmm... I volunteered at a YMCA from 8-10am. Something like that would fit!

What kind of job do you have?

I'm a pharmacy tech, so I spend my whole day at CVS.

I've already graduated and I'm 190 miles away from my undergrad :(
It would be easy to do that if I were there, I accumulated about 10 hours through that in probably 2 weeks, not a lot, I know. (with my honors society, consequences of changing your major junior year)

I have a dog rescue I volunteer with, but as I can't foster a dog, i can only do what they need me to do, which is about 2-4 hours a week. I could also be a dog walker, but thanks to my work schedule, I can't get where I need to be.

2-4 hours a week is great!!

As it stands now...
I have ~25 shadowing hours
~23 with the rescue, ~6 with red cross, ~2 with Autism Speaks U

and ~800 clinical hours (nursing clinicals and all those CVS hours)

Heyyy, a resume!
Other ECs but they're not my issue.

I think I have the first one down, sort of the third, but not really the second. I mean kind of. I don't know! Why can't one be employed yet also care about people?
Wait but your EC's are great! :claps: lol seriously you have done a lot, I'm not really too sure what else you can do. I say keep it up.

Maybe you can find a job that counts as an EC? Something like a research lab position.

Also not sure if this is available in PA (I know nothing about the area) but over here you can volunteer to go to the Beach and rescue baby turtles in the morning, during the right season (which I'm not sure of). Great EC if you love animals and its usually one hr in the morning.

Also not sure if this is available in PA (I know nothing about the area) but over here you can volunteer to go to the Beach and rescue baby turtles in the morning, during the right season (which I'm not sure of). Great EC if you love animals and its usually one hr in the morning.

That would be the most amazing EC ever!! Too bad I'm 1.5 hours away from the shore.

That would be the most amazing EC ever!! Too bad I'm 1.5 hours away from the shore.
Ah man, okay back to the drawing board. Do you speak any languages? Medical interpreter? Scribe?
Habitat for Humanity is always looking for volunteers. We usually start pretty early in the day so that may work. You might come home sore though

Ah man, okay back to the drawing board. Do you speak any languages? Medical interpreter? Scribe?
Habitat for Humanity is always looking for volunteers. We usually start pretty early in the day so that may work. You might come home sore though

I only speak english. I've been searching the internet for a scribe job, but no luck.

I'm not trying to be negative and shoot down every idea, I'm just discouraged, unfortunately.

I only speak english. I've been searching the internet for a scribe job, but no luck.

I'm not trying to be negative and shoot down every idea, I'm just discouraged, unfortunately.
Trust me I know, no need to get discouraged. We will find something:cool:

-Retirement Home / Hospice volunteer?
-Volunteer at a Fire station?
-Join the DAT team with Red-cross since you are already a volunteer there
-Play buddy with kids at Hospital
-volunteer at Zoo?
-Women's shelter volunteer?
-Professional laffy taffy shaker? :banana::banana::banana:lol I kid :)

Play any instruments? Good at arts and crafts? Girl scouts/Boy scouts?

Last edited:
There was a time I played a few instruments :laugh:

I'll look into a few of those. Thank you :)
I especially like the buddy thing. CHOP has a program like that, but it's hard to get into.

There was a time I played a few instruments :laugh:

I'll look into a few of those. Thank you :)
I especially like the buddy thing. CHOP has a program like that, but it's hard to get into.

No problem, hope they work out. If you still remember how to play anything the hospital may let you play if you ask. One of the hospitals here lets me play the piano but I had to ask.

Wait but your EC's are great! :claps: lol seriously you have done a lot, I'm not really too sure what else you can do. I say keep it up.

Maybe you can find a job that counts as an EC? Something like a research lab position.

To the first -- thanks, but it's a bit deceiving as most of those things aren't super recent. But thanks!! Your volunteering ideas are awesome -- I might need to look into some of those :)

To the second -- OMG BABY TURTLES OMG OMG THAT WOULD BE THE COOLEST!!!!

To the first -- thanks, but it's a bit deceiving as most of those things aren't super recent. But thanks!! Your volunteering ideas are awesome -- I might need to look into some of those :)

To the second -- OMG BABY TURTLES OMG OMG THAT WOULD BE THE COOLEST!!!!
The turtles are awesome!

Okay I see what you mean.. :thinking: hmm... :idea: Since you are great writer/poet (and I assume you're passionate about it) it might be pretty cool to do an EC utilizing your strengths in writing. Perhaps with children? I would check local libraries and elementary schools for opportunities to mentor or tutor children in language arts.

Last edited:
The turtles are awesome!

Okay I see what you mean.. :thinking: hmm... :idea: Since you are great writer/poet (and I assume you're passionate about it) it might be pretty cool to do an EC utilizing your strengths in writing. Perhaps with children? I would check local libraries and elementary schools for opportunities to mentor or tutor children in language arts.

Yeah, I've thought about trying to do something with writing. I tried to start a writing workshop program at a local hospital, but they weren't super keen on the idea. I was on the editorial board of the campus literary magazine freshman year, which was fun! But time consuming.

Studying again for a retake MCAT sucks.

Thinking about retaking literally gives me anxiety and mini panic attacks. I am torn on if I should or not but I know that I won't. I'm so sorry you actually have to do it! When is your retake date?

Thanks. Yeah, it sucks. I'm shooting for late April though I might try early May as well. If I take it in May I'll probably apply with my current score (which hopefully won't get me screened out) and then update. A part of me wants to be satisfied with my current score and just move on but I also want to try and have the best shot possible at schools I really want to go to. I know I'm really bad at "application processes" in general (college admissions went absolutely terribly for me, I still get panic attacks now and then thinking about how poorly it went) so I'm pretty pessimistic about my med school chances to start with.

I feel you there. My college admissions process was really bad as well, and I still don't really know why. It sucks. Hopefully med school admissions won't be the same.

You have lots and lots of time to study then, so that's awesome! What score did you get on your previous test, if you don't mind me asking? And how did it compare to your averages?