Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh my god you guys are so accomplished. :eek:

Some people are. I'm not. I've just done a bunch of cookie cutter activities, most of which I genuinely enjoyed. I've done very few (or no) stand out things. Quantity =\= quality. I'd much rather have two or three activities that are unique and interesting and that I spent a lot of time on due to genuine passion, as opposed to the laundry list I've got. Que sera sera -- the grass is always greener, I guess!

Members don't see this ad.

Some people are. I'm not. I've just done a bunch of cookie cutter activities, most of which I genuinely enjoyed. I've done very few (or no) stand out things. Quantity =\= quality. I'd much rather have two or three activities that are unique and interesting and that I spent a lot of time on due to genuine passion, as opposed to the laundry list I've got. Que sera sera -- the grass is always greener, I guess!

Lies all lies!! She's a gunner... but she's silent and deadly. She plays innocent and modest then... BAM Hopkins class of 2019 lol

In all seriousness, your app is pretty awesome :nod:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Lies all lies!! She's a gunner... but she's silent and deadly. She plays innocent and modest then... BAM Hopkins class of 2019 lol

Well thank you, that's awfully nice of you to say. Hopefully adcoms for at least one med school can look past my weak points (cough cookie cutter ECs cough mcat cough). Everyone has weaknesses though, right?

@sunflower18 is c/o 2020. @nOchemallday is c/o 2019

Noooo i'm noootttt

Although it's a little bit ridiculous that we're applying in like, 6.5 months. It's come up really fast. We only have one semester left... AAHH. Speaking of, do you guys wanna help me sort out a schedule dilemma? (pleeeease)

I've already taken the MCAT, so I'm not super concerned about taking all the pre-reqs so that I can study for it. I'm not planning on retaking, for better or for worse. I haven't yet taken Physics 2, and I'm not sure if I should take it next semester or push it off until senior year. This is basically my schedule for next sem:
Biochemistry (4 credits)
Biochemistry Lab (4 credits)
Advanced Organic Chemistry (2 credits)
Calculus (4 credits)

Should I take Physics 2 + lab (4 credits total) or Medical Sociology (4 credits)? I really want to take medical sociology, but a part of me feels really guilty for pushing off a pre-req just to take an elective. What do you guys think? I know schools don't require that you have pre-reqs done before application as long as they are done before matriculation, but will it look weird to not have Physics 2 while applying?

Take sosh. Phuck physics. No one will care. I won't be taking any physics lab or biochem lab (never took gen chem lecture or lab). They can suck it if taking those classes is going to prevent me from doing what I like more.

Rule of thumb: never give up anything you're more interested in just to check a box off for some bull****.

Well thank you, that's awfully nice of you to say. Hopefully adcoms for at least one med school can look past my weak points (cough cookie cutter ECs cough mcat cough). Everyone has weaknesses though, right?

Noooo i'm noootttt

Although it's a little bit ridiculous that we're applying in like, 6.5 months. It's come up really fast. We only have one semester left... AAHH. Speaking of, do you guys wanna help me sort out a schedule dilemma? (pleeeease)

I've already taken the MCAT, so I'm not super concerned about taking all the pre-reqs so that I can study for it. I'm not planning on retaking, for better or for worse. I haven't yet taken Physics 2, and I'm not sure if I should take it next semester or push it off until senior year. This is basically my schedule for next sem:
Biochemistry (4 credits)
Calculus (4 credits)

Should I take Physics 2 + lab (4 credits total) or Medical Sociology (4 credits)? I really want to take medical sociology, but a part of me feels really guilty for pushing off a pre-req just to take an elective. What do you guys think? I know schools don't require that you have pre-reqs done before application as long as they are done before matriculation, but will it look weird to not have Physics 2 while applying?

Nope. Just before you matriculate

Take sosh. Phuck physics. No one will care. I won't be taking any physics lab or biochem lab (never took gen chem lecture or lab). They can suck it if taking those classes is going to prevent me from doing what I like more.

Rule of thumb: never give up anything you're more interested in just to check a box off for some bull****.

Pretty much this

Noooo i'm noootttt

Biochemistry (4 credits)
Calculus (4 credits)

I agree with the Agent B and Inycepoo 100% Take it when you can in Summer or Fall but it wont look weird at at all especially since you did well on the physical sciences portion of the MCAT anyway.

Yea, I feel like most of my "medically relavent" ECs are straight-up cookie cutter; just trying to jump through the hoops and check my boxes so I can spend time doing stuff I actually care about. My weakness is definitely lack of shadowing. So much stuff going on this term I might have to wait 'til winter or spring term (quarter system).

IMHO you're app is stellar though.

Yea, I feel like most of my "medically relavent" ECs are straight-up cookie cutter; just trying to jump through the hoops and check my boxes so I can spend time doing stuff I actually care about. My weakness is definitely lack of shadowing. So much stuff going on this term I might have to wait 'til winter or spring term (quarter system).

Yup.

Members don't see this ad :)

Good advice. I took it, and registered for med soc! I'm excited!! I'll take physics when I can haha, but I don't want to pass up a cool class opportunity like this.

Well thank you very much! I think you have some really cool stuff on your app though. Like your ultimate frisbee and tutoring program? That's awesome! I wish I had a hobby that I was really involved with like that. That's awesome. Same with inycepoo and his cubing. Super cool. I'm too busy scribing and such that I don't really have time for hobbies. I should make time though cause that kind of stuff is unique and awesome and can keep you sane! :thumbup::thumbup:

I agree with the Agent B and Inycepoo 100% Take it when you can in Summer or Fall but it wont look weird at at all especially since you did well on the physical sciences portion of the MCAT anyway.

Okay cool! I don't think I can take it until next spring, but whatever. I will do that. Yeah, I'm surprised that I was able to break 10 on the physical science section with how crappy my physics knowledge is/was... I spent way too much of my study time teaching myself physics haha

You guys with confidence in your apps...I'm jealous.
I don't feel great about mine at all, even though people say it's fine..

Guess I'm just a typical neurotic pre-med.

Last edited:
You guys with confidence in your apps...I'm jealous.
I don't feel great about mine at all, even though people say it's fine..

Guess I'm just a typical neurotic pre-med.

We are all a little neurotic, after all we are applying in like 6 and half months. How are you guys doing on creating your schools list?

I seriously have been trying to cut my list down but I end up adding more schools :help:. How many schools are you guys planning on applying to?

We are all a little neurotic, after all we are applying in like 6 and half months. How are you guys doing on creating your schools list?

I seriously have been trying to cut my list down but I end up adding more schools :help:. How many schools are you guys planning on applying to?

Seeing as I have the FAP, 14. I'll likely add more if I need necessary and what I can swing.
Creating a school list isn't that easy. (I also haven't taken the MCAT yet..)
Jefferson is one of my top choices though (I've done most of my shadowing there)

Seeing as I have the FAP, 14. I'll likely add more if I need necessary and what I can swing.
Creating a school list isn't that easy. (I also haven't taken the MCAT yet..)
Jefferson is one of my top choices though (I've done most of my shadowing there)

So true...
14? :wow:Now I definitely know I have too many schools lol I was thinking 25-30

I haven't take my MCAT either, though my averages are promising... I like so many schools though... Oh my God i'm a med school ***** :scared: I've become everything I didn't want to be lol

I'm actually on the low side :p
the FAP just allows that, but from my understanding many schools will waive the secondary fee should I receive them from schools since I have FAP. I just need to take the MCAT before I have a better idea.

So true...
14? :wow:Now I definitely know I have too many schools lol I was thinking 25-30

I haven't take my MCAT either, though my averages are promising... I like so many schools though... Oh my God i'm a med school ***** :scared: I've become everything I didn't want to be lol

I've made my school list!! It's 30 schools.... So you're not alone!!!

I think Jeff looks awesome too. It's definitely high on my list!

Jefferson?! Jefferson?! (nervously looking at list) Jefferson is not even on my list!! I'm scared if I research it I'm going to love it then add it.. whats wrong with me? lol Are you keeping your list at 30? How much "reach schools" do you have on your list?

Haha I've been working 50 hours a week for the past year and a half so I can afford it!
50 hrs a week? With everything else you do? :bow:

Jefferson?! Jefferson?! (nervously looking at list) Jefferson is not even on my list!! I'm scared if I research it I'm going to love it then add it.. whats wrong with me? lol Are you keeping your list at 30? How much "reach schools" do you have on your list?

50 hrs a week? With everything else you do? :bow:

It has a pretty good track record of matching at least one person to radonc each year, which I like!

5 schools with avg mcat below 31, 15 with avg mcat 31-34, 10 with avg mcat 35+.

Well, 25 hours scribing, 10 hours TAing, 15 hours tutoring. Roughly.

It has a pretty good track record of matching at least one person to radonc each year, which I like!

5 schools with avg mcat below 31, 15 with avg mcat 31-34, 10 with avg mcat 35+.

Well, 25 hours scribing, 10 hours TAing, 15 hours tutoring. Roughly.
Oh okay I thought you meant a separate job like you were fighting crime at night or something idk lol.

Thanks, so my list isn't too bad after all.. but radonc? I was right about you... you are a gunner :laugh:

Oh okay I thought you meant a separate job like you were fighting crime at night or something idk lol.

Thanks, so my list isn't too bad after all.. but radonc? I was right about you... you are a gunner :laugh:

Noooo hahaha I don't have a timeturner!

Haha hey! I just love oncology. In my limited premed conception of things, I'm torn between Peds heme/Onc and radonc. But I'm looking at my schools' match lists for radonc, because one could obviously match Peds at any school.

Noooo hahaha I don't have a timeturner!

Haha hey! I just love oncology. In my limited premed conception of things, I'm torn between Peds heme/Onc and radonc. But I'm looking at my schools' match lists for radonc, because one could obviously match Peds at any school.

Lol, thats cool I completely understand. More power to you, I know I could never do that. Love kids but I hate to see them sick. You're an awesome gunner..er I mean person :whistle::)

Jeff is a 40 minute train ride from me. It's in a very nice area in the city. I'm fortunate that almost all of my shadowing has occurred there, so it's very high on my list. :)

Lol, thats cool I completely understand. More power to you, I know I could never do that. Love kids but I hate to see them sick. You're an awesome gunner..er I mean person :whistle::)

Awwwww noooo I'm not a gunner :( I think......

Jeff is a 40 minute train ride from me. It's in a very nice area in the city. I'm fortunate that almost all of my shadowing has occurred there, so it's very high on my list. :)

That's awesome! Good to know :)

I don't know as much about Temple or Drexel but Jeff wins of the three! What is your top choice?

Tippy top of my list? Mayo hahaha. I also am really interested in Pitt, Baylor, Wake Forest, Jefferson, and my state school.... Among others. I really am excited about every school on my list!

Tippy top of my list? Mayo hahaha. I also am really interested in Pitt, Baylor, Wake Forest, Jefferson, and my state school.... Among others. I really am excited about every school on my list!

It's good you're excited :) hopefully you'd be happy anywhere you'd end up. I'm also interested in WF. Jefferson and PSU as well. I also like WVU but I have a while to finalize this, by taking the mcat. :p

I'm not really sure if I should apply DO as well. PCOM interests me a bit too

So I just researched Jefferson... i'm not going to lie its pretty sexy.... :boom:FML! I don't want to like more schools...

Pitt is a very "sexy" school and is one of my top schools :xf:.. I have like 7 state schools so I feel it might be dumb for me to not apply to every single one of them.

So I just researched Jefferson... i'm not going to lie its pretty sexy.... :boom:FML! I don't want to like more schools...

Pitt is a very "sexy" school and is one of my top schools :xf:.. I have like 7 state schools so I feel it might be dumb for me to not apply to every single one of them.

7???? I'm soooo jealous!!!!!!!! I have one. Uno. And they prefer nontrads going into primary care. Aka not me.

7???? I'm soooo jealous!!!!!!!! I have one. Uno. And they prefer nontrads going into primary care. Aka not me.

Their lost, you're a gunner anyways. You'd probably fit in better at Yale, Harvard, Washu, Penn, and Standford... just take me with you though :highfive: lol

Yeah having 7 schools in my state is pretty cool, I really like 3 of them and have had the chance to visit

Their lost, you're a gunner anyways. You'd probably fit in better at Yale, Harvard, Washu, Penn, and Standford... just take me with you though :highfive: lol

Yeah having 7 schools in my state is pretty cool, I really like 3 of them and have had the chance to visit

Hahaha have you seen my MCAT score? WashU would look at my application and laugh hysterically before chucking it into the rejection bin. But hey, if I could get in there, anyone could! So certainly, if I am accepted, you are more than welcome to come along.

That's so cool. I'm majorly jealous.

Hahaha have you seen my MCAT score? WashU would look at my application and laugh hysterically before chucking it into the rejection bin. But hey, if I could get in there, anyone could! So certainly, if I am accepted, you are more than welcome to come along.

That's so cool. I'm majorly jealous.

Okay just looked at the MSAR for washu... lets replace that with duke instead :love:didn't really want to be in Missouri anyways lol

Most schools don't make their average step 1 scores available to the general public right?

Oh and yeah be jealous, Florida rocks lol jk.

Okay just looked at the MSAR for washu... lets replace that with duke instead :love:didn't really want to be in Missouri anyways lol

Most schools don't make their average step 1 scores available to the general public right?

Oh and yeah be jealous, Florida rocks lol jk.

I've never been to Missouri!!!

Ummm. I don't actually know... I thought they did.

Never been to Florida either! I am not sure how i would feel about the humidity..

I like the weather in FL since it's so cold in PA. I'm lucky because I live very close to Philadelphia so I have 4 MD and 1 DO school less than an hour away. Commonwealth is close to my parents and then there's Pitt and PSU. PA is med school plentiful :laugh:

I loved Pitt's campus when I visited it. I have a friend who's an MS1 there and he loves it there. I doubt I have a shot but it's worth a try.

I like the weather in FL since it's so cold in PA. I'm lucky because I live very close to Philadelphia so I have 4 MD and 1 DO school less than an hour away. Commonwealth is close to my parents and then there's Pitt and PSU. PA is med school plentiful :laugh:

lol, I guess we lucked out compared to those who live in states like Oregon :rolleyes:. Pitt is a tough school for anyone to get into but you'll do fine my friend :)

I've never been to Missouri!!!

Ummm. I don't actually know... I thought they did.

Never been to Florida either! I am not sure how i would feel about the humidity..

I found some old threads that basically said most schools don't. Florida can get pretty hot but we have tons of beaches. Northern Florida can get pretty cold though... then again when temps drop to the 60's or 50's thats like a blizzard for some of us so.. lol. Idk what I'm going to do if I get accepted to a school up north during the winter :scared:

lol, I guess we lucked out compared to those who live in states like Oregon :rolleyes:. Pitt is a tough school for anyone to get into but you'll do fine my friend :)

I found some old threads that basically said most schools don't. Florida can get pretty hot but we have tons of beaches. Northern Florida can get pretty cold though... then again when temps drop to the 60's or 50's thats like a blizzard for some of us so.. lol. Idk what I'm going to do if I get accepted to a school up north during the winter :scared:

Buy a warm coat :p
You get used to it, eventually.
I'd love to go to school in FL, actually, but my OOS chances are slim to none, basically.

And you're right about Pitt. It's a very competitive program from the start. No PA school really favors its instate residents (most seem to be about 50:50 with the state schools of PSU and Temple - public universities). Penn and Pitt are exceptions, obviously, but the only advantage of PA is the sheer number of schools to apply to.

I wonder why...something about incessant trolling comes to mind
xg5IDb

I'm lucky because I live very close to Philadelphia so I have 4 MD and 1 DO school less than an hour away. Commonwealth is close to my parents and then there's Pitt and PSU. PA is med school plentiful :laugh:

No PA school really favors its instate residents (most seem to be about 50:50 with the state schools of PSU and Temple - public universities).

Yea, I'm also a PA resident. It's so annoying that we don't have an IS preferance anywhere.

Yea, I'm also a PA resident. It's so annoying that we don't have an IS preferance anywhere.
I never really noticed that before you guys said anything. Thats crazy.. there's 7 MD schools in PA!

Yeeeeeup. Basically.

Hahaha 50s-60s is not cold! I don't know though. It's not the heat I mind as much -- dry heat is fine. Wet, moist, sticky heat is almost unbearable.

Really?? Nowhere?? That's ridiculous!! What about Penn State?

Plus side -- if you want to stay local and you're a good applicant, you're in a great state to do it.

Yeeeeeup. Basically.

Hahaha 50s-60s is not cold! I don't know though. It's not the heat I mind as much -- dry heat is fine. Wet, moist, sticky heat is almost unbearable.

Really?? Nowhere?? That's ridiculous!! What about Penn State?

Plus side -- if you want to stay local and you're a good applicant, you're in a great state to do it.

No not even Penn State. I noticed that about half of my classmates were OOS during UG and the MSAR says pretty much the same thing with the school of medicine.