Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I like that idea. Let's schedule our interviews now for perfect tradeoff!Haha I am the opposite. I've got a nice pencil skirt but no blazer. You'll borrow my skirt and then I'll borrow your blazer.
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I like that idea. Let's schedule our interviews now for perfect tradeoff!Haha I am the opposite. I've got a nice pencil skirt but no blazer. You'll borrow my skirt and then I'll borrow your blazer.
I'm sitting here listening to a presentation about applying to grad school. The lady is like, "You have to consider if you are willing to go to school for another 2-5 years". Hahahaha. I'd love to only have five more years of education left. Try like ten more years, for surgery.
I lost 35 lbs in the past year, so I'm swimming in all my old suits. That's another thing, too. I still wanna lose a bit more weight, so idk if I should wait to buy a suit or not.
...can I join in on thisMy friend seriously can't decide between a full tuition scholarship at one of the Manhattan schools vs a partial scholarship at Duke. It's a 100k difference without taking into account interest. I wanna reach through the phone and smack some sense into her. Take the money, girl.
Random question but do most med schools give you a laptop or require you to purchase one?
Thanks. I was looking of there was more a rule but I see its a school by school basis.It depends on the school. Some give you a laptop or iPad, some give you an allowance or factor it into the CoA. I think most schools have their specific policy on their website.
finally submitted! feeling like i am pushing the late end but hopefully prewriting will get me up there with all you early birds!
Is that right? I recall reading the forums a while ago and LizzyM mentioning how it was nice that there was more variety in suit color last cycle. I have never heard black to be the requirement.Here's one: Has anyone been advised about whether a black suit is required or if any dark color is ok?
I'm told the black-suits-only thing is new and whenever we have resident and fellow interviews people make fun of how everyone is wearing the same suit. A lot of the people I work with have said they wish the interviewees would wear other colors (which used to be more normal) so they could actually tell people apart.
This kind of makes me want to wear a different color but then knowing I'm likely the only one who'll do it makes me afraid to try.
Is that right? I recall reading the forums a while ago and LizzyM mentioning how it was nice that there was more variety in suit color last cycle. I have never heard black to be the requirement.
Here's one: Has anyone been advised about whether a black suit is required or if any dark color is ok?
I'm told the black-suits-only thing is new and whenever we have resident and fellow interviews people make fun of how everyone is wearing the same suit. A lot of the people I work with have said they wish the interviewees would wear other colors (which used to be more normal) so they could actually tell people apart.
This kind of makes me want to wear a different color but then knowing I'm likely the only one who'll do it makes me afraid to try.
Oh, I see! And I agree with wearing what is most suitable and flattering. I mean, I feel better when I think I look good 😉No, it's never been an expectation, just that recently I'd heard (and seen for the higher level interviews) that everyone had gone to black for a noticeable number of years now such that I wondered if you would stand out too much if you didn't do it now. But it sounds like that might be fading away, woo!
The people I know who conduct interviews say they largely don't care what you wear as long as it doesn't stick out unfavorably somehow. Skirt or pants, flats or heels, exact suit cut or material are all things they purportedly don't even notice. One person I know who's been part of admissions for the big medical school here did say re: pants or skirts that the most important thing is to wear whatever is actually flattering on you and will be comfortable. If you have a wide stride and a skirt is going to trip you up, don't wear one. If you're like me and most slacks make you look hobbit-like, maybe don't do that. Same with the shoes, because they make you walk all over and people definitely notice when a candidate isn't comfortable in her shoes and has a rough time. This isn't the occasion to be breaking new ground with your wardrobe.
With the resident and fellow candidates I've seen a pretty even pants/skirt split and most wear very low heeled but not completely flat shoes. A few in each group will have high heels and a few will have flat-flats. The women in skirts do not wear pantyhose as far as I've ever seen but I haven't been close enough to tell on all of them. Not all of them wear collared dress shirts either, I've seen quite a few other blouses (albeit solid colors always) and I think I'll try it for myself since I am not a shape that looks good in a regular dress shirt.
The interview attire threads are incredibly helpful. Also, @ridethecliche is a men's clothing expert. Personally, I'm going with a grey suit.
Oh, I see! And I agree with wearing what is most suitable and flattering. I mean, I feel better when I think I look good 😉
I find it very strange that the residents/fellows rarely wear pantyhose. I thought that was some kind of unspoken law to wear em!
Some of the most (if not the most) vicious debates I have ever heard revolved around whether or not pantyhose are required for job interviews. There are very staunch opinions on both the pantyhose-are-dated and pantyhose-are-mandatory camps. I need to gather more info before I decide whether or not to wear them, but I have noticed a large proportion of bare legged women at these other interviews and no one mentions it so apparently it's not a felony.
That's interesting. I learned formal dressing from the business side of things so I guess it could be different amongst different specialties. I'm personally just gonna play it safe with the grey suit cause it goes well for any occasion that needs a suit haha. Although I do like the high gloss wingtipsAlso, re: funeral black, @heywhatsuphello I got curious and talked to a few people about it and evidently a black suit can be acceptable but is considered a particularly dramatic statement going by general etiquette. The reason I see so much black is probably because I'm in a surgical specialty group and overall those are kind of notorious for being considered over-dressed and over the top by other specialties at our meetings (I've heard in the past anyway) so apparently that's the divide there. Flashy flashy over here I guess. On further reflection I do see a crapload of high gloss wingtips and etc as well. I actually own a pair myself...
They do look helpful, but are incredibly long. Is there a suit fitting guide (for women) somewhere in there?
.Haha I am definitely in the tights-are-mandatory group! Unless it's super super hot out and I'd be sweating through my tights, I would never ever go to a business casual/formal event with bare legs.
To me, I feel like my legs just look messy without tights. Every mosquito bite (I'm like a mosquito magnet), scratch, scab, bruise, and mole stands out.
I think I will probably go with charcoal suit/nude tights, given I get any interviews. Now what color shoes? I don't know! Probably nude or black, though I don't know which would look better.
That's interesting. I learned formal dressing from the business side of things so I guess it could be different amongst different specialties. I'm personally just gonna play it safe with the grey suit cause it goes well for any occasion that needs a suit haha. Although I do like the high gloss wingtips
I've never understood the mandatory-ness for tights! I do have a pair that mostly match my skin tone and I wear that for interviews because I've always been told I should. I guess I just don't understand how scandalous bare legs are? 😕
You think docs don't do that? i know an attending who's really really pretty and goes out clubbing, hooking up, and watching the whitest shows..but then comes back into the ED guns blazing and taking charge like a boss
if i were lesbian she'd be mine![]()
Oh man. I just got back from shopping, and as it turns out, shopping for a suit in petites is MUCH harder than I thought. I guess I'm going to have to start early!
Oh man. I just got back from shopping, and as it turns out, shopping for a suit in petites is MUCH harder than I thought. I guess I'm going to have to start early!
Check out Talbots, they have a great petites section, nice quality (and very conservative). You can't go wrong thereOh man. I just got back from shopping, and as it turns out, shopping for a suit in petites is MUCH harder than I thought. I guess I'm going to have to start early!
While my brother is not as tall, he had good luck with the 38L at Macy's. You may need to go to the Big/Tall Section of Macys. Good Luck.Hey everyone, what's up? How has the application process been for you all so far?
@coatiboti, I'm at the other end of the suit buying spectrum. At 6'4 and 155, most suits run either way too short, or way too wide...
I need to start prewriting secondaries this week because I'll be abroad for the next two weeks. Guess I should start with WashU since theirs is already up.
Oo where are you going?
See you there, I'm going to Italy and Switzerland for a week. 🙂Italy and Croatia! So places with pretty good Internet access but I don't want to deal with them while there lol.
Italy and Croatia! So places with pretty good Internet access but I don't want to deal with them while there lol.
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.