Class of 2021 - how's your job search going?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Both anesthesia and EM are not in the best positions, both largely tied to hospitals. However, anesthesia doesn't seem to be producing an oversupply of residents like we are. There still seem to be a decent amount of physician owned groups, too. Perhaps those days are numbered, though. Also, I'd take anesthesia's fellowship options as escape hatches to better job prospects through 1-year fellowships (ICU, Peds, Cardiac, Pain) than EM's (US, EMS, Sports Med, Wilderness, International, HPM, Admin, PEM - 2 years, Tox - 2 years, ICU - 2 years).
In the region where I trained Anesthesia market is hot with good options for corporate and small group options. I agree in the long term prospects can be similar to EM.

It can be even better for certain nonprocedural subspecialties of IM.

From firsthand knowledge, in allergy it is common to see $70/wRVU, typically >300K income in a hospital system employed position.

32 hour of clinic a week, 4 days a week, no weekends, no holidays, no nights obviously, never any emergency consults.

not bad for 3 yr IM and 2 yr fellowship.
Sister in law is IM straight out of residency working for 1-2 years subsidized ($225k?) by hospital to see their patients and works in the clinic as well as admits to herself (no hospitalist). After her 1-2 years she makes whatever she keeps. She gets the pleasure of her own schedule and will probably make the same as an average EM doc in a couple of years ($300k +/-). If you know how to hustle and run a good practice the sky is the limit as far as compensation.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
The million dollar question as some have alluded to is how much of this is Covid-19 related vs changes in EM. I certainly hope more of it is the former.

Also. Can we stop derailing the thread with IMG talk?

Reactions: 1 users
The million dollar question as some have alluded to is how much of this is Covid-19 related vs changes in EM. I certainly hope more of it is the former.

Also. Can we stop derailing the thread with IMG talk?
Yeah I'd prefer to hear from some more 2021 grads.

Unfortunately though, I strongly believe a lot of this is over supply as there was plenty of issues with finding jobs pre covid.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Trying to return to DFW. Coming from a great program with graduate connections. (Not to be cocky). Admittedly made this decision in November but that’s just the way things worked out. Having a rough time. Sounds like places nationwide expect to have more ideas on needs come January-March. Cutting it pretty close for me. Feels bad man.

Trying to return to DFW. Coming from a great program with graduate connections. (Not to be cocky). Admittedly made this decision in November but that’s just the way things worked out. Having a rough time. Sounds like places nationwide expect to have more ideas on needs come January-March. Cutting it pretty close for me. Feels bad man.

Nice thing about DFW is you’ve got 2 fantastic airports and are centrally located in the US. You could live there and fly for work almost anywhere in the country.

We’ve got several in our PGY3 class taking full time positions in the Midwest or rural south who are planning to fly-commute. People have been doing this from South FL for years because of our job market.

Speaking to people already doing it, it’s not a bad gig in the short-medium term.

Nice thing about DFW is you’ve got 2 fantastic airports and are centrally located in the US. You could live there and fly for work almost anywhere in the country.

We’ve got several in our PGY3 class taking full time positions in the Midwest or rural south who are planning to fly-commute. People have been doing this from South FL for years because of our job market.

Speaking to people already doing it, it’s not a bad gig in the short-medium term.
True, could be worse I suppose.

True, could be worse I suppose.
Yea to be clear definitely not what any of us envisioned as a stable career when we signed up for medicine almost a decade ago.

But you’ve gotta play the cards your dealt sometimes, even if it’s a crap hand.

Yeah, at this point I just hope I can find something in state. I’m split though; and maybe more experienced people can speak to this. Is it worth it to take a position that’s a little lower volume in Texas for a year to keep the lights on and keep trying to find something higher volume/acuity? I imagine one year max at a place like that fresh out of residency wouldn’t be too bad. Or should I fly wherever I can find significant volume?

Good thing texas is opening 4-6 more programs

90% of my fellow PGY3 class has locked down jobs, mostly 1099 for CMGs but rates they are getting are pretty good in Texas & neighboring southeast states ($240-310/hr). I landed W2 non-CMG job about 45 minutes outside DFW but from Texas and kept networking with folks throughout residency. Began job search long before Covid

My class is relatively fellowship heavy (a bit less than 50%), but of the people going into the workforce, only one has yet to sign - she's trying to get to FL, which is a tough spot as mentioned above. Three are going into academics and the rest are going into the community. Of the community crew, a couple are working for a local group, a couple going the CMG route. One is doing a locums and part time split due to family reasons. Overall not bad at all considering the issues described above.

Reactions: 2 users
I wrote this in another thread but, graduating 2021, I did find a job in a democratic group in a smaller area of the midwest (100k or so people, pretty LCOL) with decent pay (420k+ after one year, but this includes all benefits and is based off ~1600 hours/year) with basically zero turnover and high job satisfaction. But, it is far from where we were initially hoping to end up (mountain west or PNW closer to family), and we've just kinda decided to choose to be happy there. It really does seem like a nice spot, just without easy access to our family. However at this point, and seeing the struggle of many this year, I'm just happy to have it. I want to make my money, pay off debts, and reach financial independence ASAP so that if EM continues like this I'm not dependent on my job.

Are you me? We're taking a very similar path. I have a good job as a non-CMG employee in a decent sized city with decent pay. Definitely not the 140/hr I see in Denver and Florida. Which I mention because those are the two areas we wanted to go, but the jobs are what they are. So now we're looking at buying a house here and settling down while we pay off debts and reach FI. Good to see someone else is in the same boat!

Good to hear other people are having success, got a job secured, thank God, most in my class are still hustling.