Class of 2021 job market insights...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Splenda88

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a similar thread in the ED forum...

We also can share how job hunting is like... Few people in my class have job offer and salary varies widely--anywhere from 220-350k (hospitalist vs. nocturnist)

I have started looking about a month ago and have not found anything that I like so far. People can share here the type of offers they are getting and what the terms are so some of us can have an idea of what the market is like during this Covid19 era.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
There is a similar thread in the ED forum...

We also can share how job hunting is like... Few people in my class have job offer and salary vary widely--anywhere from 220-350k (hospitalist vs. nocturnist)

I have started looking about a month ago and have not found anything that I like so far. People can share here the type of offers they are getting and what the terms are so some of us can have an idea of what the market is like during this Covid19 era.

In my region, job market has tightened significantly (still jobs out there but fewer) and open moonlighting availability plummeted. Hospital nearby that chronically could not hire fulltime, managed to hire 7-8 new grads that started in July. Moonlighting shifts that are emailed as suddenly available are snapped up within minutes. Small rural hospitals couple hours out closed down/removed hospitalist shifts.

Existing full time positions in the urban/suburban area are stable. I have not heard of pay cuts or any layoffs around here, and at my fulltime gig we had our yearly standard raise and bonuses occur. Plus we got several thousand dollar check as a one time covid bonus pay.

We are much more insulated than ER. Hospital admit volume did not take anywhere as big of a dive as ER did and recovered to new highs in the summer, even before the current covid wave. The bullcrap patients that the ER docs depends on for their paycheck are the whiny worried well folks who never get admitted anyway. While the actual sick people will always come in eventually, which is a saving grace for hospitalists. And elective surgeries resumed, so that consult volume was restored fully as well.

I keep close tabs on jobs in my area and an open suburban nocturnist position i had a phone interview with last month, offered ~330k for 180 shifts a year, closed icu, so not great but not bad.

Regarding PCP job market, I don’t keep track of that.

on J1 visa so started looking real early, managed to get rural hospitalist open icu job on the west coast, equal amounts day and night shifts, 300k first year 40k sign on with realistic potential of 350-390k after the first year...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
on J1 visa so started looking real early, managed to get rural hospitalist open icu job on the west coast, equal amounts day and night shifts, 300k first year 40k sign on with realistic potential of 350-390k after the first year...

Open ICU isn't easy. Congrats on getting the bag though - glad you didn't have to go to flyover country for it.

EDIT: Just saw days AND nights. Hope the volume isn't too high.

Last edited:
Open ICU isn't easy. Congrats on getting the bag though - glad you didn't have to go to flyover country for it.

EDIT: Just saw days AND nights. Hope the volume isn't too high.
It’s a 50 bed hospital with 25 medicine, I split list with an NP or PA. Day volumes can be high but nights 0-5. Minimal sub specialty so we ship out/don't admit anyone who really need it like caths, esrd, chemo. It’s probably going to be a tough job but I’m excited!

Last edited:
BUMP. Any updates :)
Less unfilled ID (12%) nephrology spots (27%) this year makes me think those who considered hospitalist route before the pandemic, opted to play it safe and applied for fellowship this year.

Primary care is alive and well, my program is already soft selling me on getting a job in the system when I graduate and the pay and hours are considerably better than our hospitalist positions. Pay $200-250 + loan repayment and signing bonuses. And every single network in the city is hiring PCPs, plus an assortment of smaller hospitals, private practices, FQHCs. This is in a giant coastal city so pay might be better elsewhere.

We're also desperate for hospitalists, but the pay is definitely not worth how hard they work (low 200s).

Try to get into the VA if you can as they offer similar and $40k/ year for 4 years up to 200k Education Debt Reduction program and if you can try to negotiate additional 10-15% of your salary (40k) as retention bonus per year