2023 Allergy & Immunology Job Market and Outlook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kZamBam778

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As someone interested in the field and planning to apply to fellowship this year, I was wondering if anyoen has any insight into the current Allergy/Immunology job market this year. I ask as the fellows at my program haven't yet secured a job upon graduation, stating that the current job market isnt the best. I am currently in an academic program along the west coast, and was a bit surprised to hear this. A part of me thinks perhaps they are very selective about their choice, but taking a look at places along the west coast on the ACAAI and AAAAI website does seem to confirm jobs are either scare in populous areas or the pay outlook seems grim.

Was wondering if there is anyone in the field knowledgeable in the field who can speak a little about this, and if there is any truth to it?

Members don't see this ad.

You can review some of my previous posts as I have elaborated on the job market before. Me and my cofellows, as well as those before and after us, were able to get jobs pretty easily in what I would consider desirable metro/suburb areas. If you search the college and academy job sites, there are listings in a fair amount of cities. I don't really pay attention to the market in every city but I haven't heard of any fellows struggling for employment. The options vary at any given time. Academics, hospital system employment, and private practice all have their various benefits and downsides. It's a great field and a nice day to day job. Starting salaries are nothing to brag about but compensation is respectable with time, especially considering that I really enjoy what I do every day. I'm sure if you're looking at specific cities that are known to be competitive for any field, then obviously markets are tighter. The difference between A/I and many other fields is we don't typically have the option to practice in semi-rural america, which offers some benefits with expected sacrifices. Our field requires a decent population size and most practice in cities and suburbs. If you have a particular city in mind when it comes time to find a job, cold calling the local practices is a reasonable option.

I wouldn't avoid a field like A/I simply out of job market concerns. The field is continuing to advance in terms of biologic therapies and there's plenty of bread and butter rhinitis, asthma, eczema, hives, and food allergy in the population. If you like the field, go for it. It's really a great field with great patients that we can actually help.

Reactions: 1 users