Class of 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys... took my MCAT today! Aside from the normal post-exam doubt, I'm thrilled to be done with it!

I figured that I would give you my brief feedback. I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions.

C/P: By far the hardest of the sections today, and 10x harder than any Kaplan/NS/AAMC FL that I had previously taken. The passages were long and convoluted and a handful of the questions were designed to be answered by a PhD in microbiology. It wasn't as physics heavy as I had anticipated though. In the end, this is the one section that I was left scratching my head regarding my possible score.

CARS: This is the section that, for some unknown reason, I have been struggling with the past several weeks. However, I think I easily got a 130+. The passages were all long, but a much better read than the practice exams. Even the philosophy passages were bearable.

B/BC: Easier than C/P, but still tough. A ton of cell signaling, abbreviations, product-before-activator type sentences, and a lot of molecular genetics. That said, I think that I did fairly well. A strong background in biochem will go a long way in your success here.

P/S: Second hardest section. In my prep, I went through every single Kaplan topic, book, and practice questions... along with other resources. Yet, there were ~8 terms/theories that I had NEVER even heard of before. The passages were much longer than any practice test I'd taken and many of the questions asked you to dive really deep on assumptions... given two answers that could both constitute the "best choice." Previously, I'd been scoring high here... I'm at a loss as to how I did today though.

As a final thought, passage length was a huge change for what I was accustomed. I heard several of the 5/13 and 5/18'ers mention exam fatigue and I can second that thought. I had to work to stay focused throughout the P/S section. Also, a comparison of 'bonus time' is worth mentioning:

My normal - vs - (the REAL exam), extra time for review (by section):
C/P: 20-25 min (8 min)
CARS: 10-15 min (9 min)
B/BC: 20-25 min (12 min)
P/S: 20-30 min (10 min)

For reference, I've always been a great test taker and have never fallen victim to anxiety. In my opinion, the above time adjustments reflect difficulty and passage length.

Best of luck to everyone still studying! Feel free to ask any questions you have.

I tested yesterday, and this is an accurate depiction of how I felt. I walked out feeling pretty awful, and now I can't stop thinking that I just completely blew it. The CP section was particularly difficult, and PS had so many convoluted passages and questions with terms I'd never seen in Kaplan or Khan Academy. I got a 515 and a 517 on my AAMC FLs, and I feel like my score from yesterday will maybe be a 510. :(

Members don't see this ad.

I tested yesterday, and this is an accurate depiction of how I felt. I walked out feeling pretty awful, and now I can't stop thinking that I just completely blew it. The CP section was particularly difficult, and PS had so many convoluted passages and questions with terms I'd never seen in Kaplan or Khan Academy. I got a 515 and a 517 on my AAMC FLs, and I feel like my score from yesterday will maybe be a 510. :(

Aw I'm sorry you feel bad, but keep in mind that if it was super difficult, everyone else had as hard of a time with it. The score scaling is a scarily accurate science. Anyways, 510 is still very good! Try to stay positive! I bet you did better than you think!

Reactions: 1 user
Guys, I finally wrote my personal statement! Just in time, too.. haha
I feel like the personal statement is a bit harder for us non-trads, right? I had such a block about it for weeks.
Two more weeks until I get my MCAT score, too. @Hazel-rah, were you happy with your score? The wait is sooo long. I can't decide if I want my score TODAY or not at all. :nailbiting:

Ok, gotta finish my activity and most meaningful descriptions and get this thing submitted!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Guys, I finally wrote my personal statement! Just in time, too.. haha
I feel like the personal statement is a bit harder for us non-trads, right? I had such a block about it for weeks.
Two more weeks until I get my MCAT score, too. @Hazel-rah, were you happy with your score? The wait is sooo long. I can't decide if I want my score TODAY or not at all. :nailbiting:

Ok, gotta finish my activity and most meaningful descriptions and get this thing submitted!

That is such great news! Finishing the PS really solidified my desire to continue pursuing this goal.

Thanks for asking. I was quite disappointed with my score. It's like the lowest possible score I would apply with. I said, "If I get anything below _ _ _, I won't apply." And I got that. In hindsight, I was hoping for good luck because I ran out of time on sections 1-3. Like, 3 whole passages on CP, an entire CARS passage unread, and the final six or so BB questions just marked random answers in the last few seconds. I did 4 FL practice tests, but on the real test, I was taking it so much more seriously, and I don't think my practice targeted time management enough. :-( In undergrad, I had accommodations for ADD and I'm always the last person to finish a test....
I will retake it next January if I don't have any luck this fall.
I did meet my goal of getting at least 125 on each section though and I'm really proud of how hard I worked. I just needed to work harder, longer.

So we'll see if anything works out for me... I submitted 6/2 and applied to around 12 schools or so.

Sorry you were disappointed in your score. The MCAT is such a horrible mix of skill/smarts and luck. Hope you still have good results this cycle!
I submitted on the 7th but AMCAS is taking their sweet time processing my transcript. None of my LORs have been received, either. And I get my MCAT score on Tuesday. So lots of pieces are still missing, and it'll be July before long.

How's everyone doing with finalizing school lists?

Sorry you were disappointed in your score. The MCAT is such a horrible mix of skill/smarts and luck. Hope you still have good results this cycle!
I submitted on the 7th but AMCAS is taking their sweet time processing my transcript. None of my LORs have been received, either. And I get my MCAT score on Tuesday. So lots of pieces are still missing, and it'll be July before long.

How's everyone doing with finalizing school lists?

I bet it'll all come together for you by June 30! I submitted June 2 and didn't get verified until the 14, but thereafter, I think the verification pace is quicker. I have 2/4 LORs submitted and the other two promised to go out imminently........

I hope I chose the right letter writers. I have my Peace Corps country director, medical director of the department where I work, and then two recent science professors. I could have asked more professors or managers or the person I did research with, etc.... How many LORs do other non trads have??

I have a list of schools I applied to and another list I'm considering adding on....

For LORs, I have two science profs, one volunteer supervisor/nurse practitioner, and one by a physician/mentor. I feel like I should have one more, especially because my physician letter was written quite a while ago, but I'm not sure who to ask. I want to ask a doctor I did research with several years ago, but he's hard to get ahold of.

Hazel-rah, what type of medical work do you do? Peace corps is a great EC! I bet it was a great experience, too.

I only submitted 3 schools with my primary.. waiting for the MCAT score to decide which to add on..

I have seven letter writers: two science profs, my calculus professor, my post bacc advisor, my PI from my lab, a physician I shadowed, and a manager from my previous career.

I submitted my primary with 20 schools. Waiting for verification now! I submitted a little late on June 9th.

Yay, this is pretty exciting. I'm thrilled to be in the running for medical school and really glad to have some virtual pals to share the journey with. Sending good vibes for ya'll's MCATs! :angelic:

Submitted June 15th, MD and DO, w one school each. MCAT on 6/30 and attaching schools when I get my score back. Will prewrite in-state secondaries and maybe a few other schools I think there's a good chance I'll apply to based on practice test scores. Have some letters in, still waiting on others. No rush tho since I can't even add most schools until August 1. The year is finally here!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Gl everyone. Last year was my first and only application cycle after 5+ years lurking the forums. It was a bittersweet experience.

My MCAT score is due to be released Tuesday! I've tried hard, with limited success, to not think about it the past thirty days; I'm ready for whatever at this point.

Submitted 6/10 through TMDSAS... applied to all Texas schools and won't be adding any OOS. At this point, I'm only waiting on one LOR and I'll be complete.

Best of luck to everyone... It's an exciting time!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just waiting for one LOR at this point, from a colleague/supervisor from my previous career. I have LORs from 2 science professors, my research PI, a doctor I shadowed, and one of the ER docs I scribe for.

I submitted my AMCAS on 6/1 and got verified on 6/5. I submitted with just my 2 state schools, and now I'm trying to decide what schools to add since getting my MCAT score back last week. It's HARD!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'm doing the same thing with my school list, post-MCAT score release. I think my list is way too top-heavy for my subpar stats, but hopefully my local schools will show me some love if my dream schools don't. I submitted June 7, but they took forever opening my transcript envelope.. it sat there for over two weeks before they marked it as received.. so I wasn't "ready for review" until June 19. Hopefully I'll be verified before august. o_O

Is anyone else over-analyzing their PS after submitting? Too late now, right? On to secondaries!

Took the MCAT yesterday....... To say the least I was not very impressed. I've dreaded the exam from point A. I did not find it conceptually difficult, there were of course 2-3% of outlier questions here and there that are meant to separate to 90th percentile from the rest. However, as a whole I felt that it was a good exam that was well represented by AMCAS. One bone that I would pick would be that the emphasis on Genetics in my exam was much greater than what one would gather from reviewing the exam content.

All in all if anyone is looking for Sound advice from a true Non-trad it would be learn the CONCEPTS again CONCEPTS of the material, understand what is tangible; and what matters in a holistic way. Then take AS MANNNNNY PRACTICE QUESTIONS as you can.... that's it. The exam is nothing like any of the practice courses I took that Harp on fine details... Much of the information needed will be obtainable from the given passages.

Best of Luck
If I did it ANY ONE CAN DO IT

Took the MCAT yesterday....... To say the least I was not very impressed. I've dreaded the exam from point A. I did not find it conceptually difficult, there were of course 2-3% of outlier questions here and there that are meant to separate to 90th percentile from the rest. However, as a whole I felt that it was a good exam that was well represented by AMCAS. One bone that I would pick would be that the emphasis on Genetics in my exam was much greater than what one would gather from reviewing the exam content.

All in all if anyone is looking for Sound advice from a true Non-trad it would be learn the CONCEPTS again CONCEPTS of the material, understand what is tangible; and what matters in a holistic way. Then take AS MANNNNNY PRACTICE QUESTIONS as you can.... that's it. The exam is nothing like any of the practice courses I took that Harp on fine details... Much of the information needed will be obtainable from the given passages.

Best of Luck
If I did it ANY ONE CAN DO IT

Yay for you! Good luck!

Got my first II today. I can't believe I've made it this far since starting this thread 3 years ago. It's surreal to me.

Reactions: 6 users
Got my first II today. I can't believe I've made it this far since starting this thread 3 years ago. It's surreal to me.
Congrats !!!! Just got my last confirmation on LOR being sent...... I expect to find something out any day now as well !!!!

Oh my goodness, congratulations! I haven't even really started getting secondaries yet!

Oh my goodness, congratulations! I haven't even really started getting secondaries yet!

And of course as soon as I posted the above, I got 3 secondaries today. Lol

A II is an interview, right? Dumb question :) Who is sending out interviews already? I feel like I'm just chugging through secondaries right now!

A II is an interview, right? Dumb question :) Who is sending out interviews already? I feel like I'm just chugging through secondaries right now!

Yeah, II stands for interview invitation. I think Texas school applicants and early decision people are the only ones interviewing yet. Pretty sure the rest of interviews don't start until September-ish.

Congrats to those with IIs so early! Hopefully august will be a month with lots of IIs all around. I go back and forth between thinking I won't get interviews anywhere to fantasizing about a Harvard II. It's crazy to think we could still get IIs as late as February at some schools. Gonna be a long year.

Is anyone else feeling the $$ pinch with all the secondary fees and wondering how they'll be able to pay for interview travel? o_O

Congrats to those with IIs so early! Hopefully august will be a month with lots of IIs all around. I go back and forth between thinking I won't get interviews anywhere to fantasizing about a Harvard II. It's crazy to think we could still get IIs as late as February at some schools. Gonna be a long year.

Is anyone else feeling the $$ pinch with all the secondary fees and wondering how they'll be able to pay for interview travel? o_O

I'm not feeling th $$ pinch but I am feeling the time off from work pinch. I guess having 3 IIs at this point is a good problem to have, but I was not at all expecting them all to come at once.

How's it going with everybody? Been quiet in here lately. I got MCAT score back in late August, and now finally completely verified and submitted to my schools, all two of them. That was a lot of essay-writing! I feel for the people applying to fifteen schools... Well I guess everyone's playing the waiting game. Anybody got any news?

I only applied to 11 schools, which is pretty much nothing compared with most applicants, it seems! I submitted the first week of June, was verified early July, and had all secondaries complete in July.. and I just heard back from my first school yesterday (II from Mayo, woohooooo!!!)
Anyway, I'd expect it to take some time.. but things have seemed slow on the school threads, too. We're all just playing the waiting game now.

Has anyone here been to an interview yet? Or does anyone have good interview prep ideas/tips? Good luck, everyone!

Also, I think most people are posting on the 2018 nontrad applicant progress thread..

Last edited:
I have my first interview tomorrow! EEEK. Second one coming up on 9/18. Radio silence from the other 17 schools I submitted secondaries to, haha.

I have my first interview tomorrow! EEEK. Second one coming up on 9/18. Radio silence from the other 17 schools I submitted secondaries to, haha.
You'll do good, be fearless.

JK.... interview cancelled due to Irma. I did have a dinner tonight with current med students and other interviewees, and everyone was just fabulous. I'm really excited for whenever that day gets rescheduled!

Aw man, rescheduling stinks. Maybe that will give you more prep time? Irma is pretty scary, though. Hopefully they'll get you scheduled again soon.

Greetings,

I'm a non-trad planning to apply to med school in 2017 for the class of 2022. That's far enough away that at times it can be difficult to stay fully motivated. Hence the first reason for this thread: I thought those of us intending to apply to the class of 2022 might find strength and motivation through solidarity with one another. A second reason is that, some years down the road, perhaps some non-trad at the beginning of his or her journey might find this thread and feel a little less daunted by what lies ahead seeing that some of us have (hopefully) made it.

So I'll go ahead and post where I am on my premed journey, what remains to be done, and how I plan to do it. Please feel free to do the same. Hopefully 3 years from now some of us will be talking about interviews and acceptances.

What I've done:
I've completed Bio 1, Chem 1, Chem 2, and all other non-science prereqs.

My plan going forward:

Spring 15: Bio 2. Summer 15: Phys 1. Fall 15: Orgo 1. Spring 16: Phys 2. Summer 16: Bio Chem.

I plan to spend Fall 16 through Spring 17 studying for the MCAT and then take the MCAT around April 2017, applying to Texas schools as early as possible.

My plan right now is to take Orgo 2 (and another upper level bio course) during the glide year. I realize that means I won't have it before the MCAT but Orgo is a low yield topic on the MCAT 2015 and I would rather spend 16 weeks focused on high yield material than on Orgo 2. Maybe I will change my mind after we learn more about the MCAT 2015, but this is the current plan.

My goal is to have about 80 hours of shadowing and 1+ years of weekly clinical volunteering by the time I apply.

Good luck to us all.

Mission accomplished. I can barely believe it. Thanks to everyone that's been going through this with me and good luck to those still waiting for their good news.

Reactions: 6 users
Mission accomplished. I can barely believe it. Thanks to everyone that's been going through this with me and good luck to those still waiting for their good news.

Congrats!! Haven't heard from you in a while.

It feels a little surreal to be at this point - and my journey only started 18 months ago! I'm sitting on two acceptances, and hope to get some good news from my first choice within the next week.

But med school stuff has taken a back burner for me over the past couple of months, since my dad was diagnosed with cancer in August and died two weeks ago. On the plus side, I feel like if I can attempt to resuscitate my father, at least I won't choke when it comes to doing it for strangers down the road.

It feels a little surreal to be at this point - and my journey only started 18 months ago! I'm sitting on two acceptances, and hope to get some good news from my first choice within the next week.

But med school stuff has taken a back burner for me over the past couple of months, since my dad was diagnosed with cancer in August and died two weeks ago. On the plus side, I feel like if I can attempt to resuscitate my father, at least I won't choke when it comes to doing it for strangers down the road.
So sorry to hear this, hang in there! At the very least you know that you are accepted to medical school and can help someone like your dad in the future.

I'm sorry to hear about your dad.

Sorry about your dad! It's good that you're cool under pressure, but I know that stress can find its way to the surface over time. I hope you get some good recovery time to process everything.