Class of 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey CC30, well good to know even you fancy in-house guys get sick of it too! Sometimes I thought if I could get a nice gig like that, it might be more palatable. I've always been more of a pavement-pounder, although did some work in firms for seven or eight years when I was getting going. As far as prereqs, you're pretty much where I'll be after this semester, except I had a bunch of soc already in college. Good job on your org Chem class this summer, I will look for those videos as I'm taking that right now. I havent shadowed either, but planning some hopefully soon. I did med-mal defense for a few years, maybe they would count that, haha. I'll keep the plaintiff stuff to myself in the interview. Your stats sound like you're in good shape to get in. You planning to stay in Texas?

Thanks, Rabbott. To be honest, I knew before going in-house that I was going to make the switch at some point. When the issue is more than just work/life balance, it's not solved by taking a lighter workload. Though you can definitely just kind of work in these more relaxing gigs for a long time in a sort of complacent "stasis."

The cardiologist ended up letting me shadow with him and that was a hoot. I admit to being taken by surprise when he started asking me some fairly tough questions regarding things he'd explained earlier in the day. I ended up feeling like I learned a lot from the experience, as a result.

As to whether I'm staying in Texas, it's likely due to the number of schools here and the tuition reduction for in-state is crazy good here. If I got in, though, I'm strongly considering UAMS since it's very near my family. Like a lot of non-trads, my family is getting pretty up there in age and it'd be nice to spend the next ten years near them.

I'm actually envious of your med-mal experience. That always sounded like something that would be fun to do and everyone can relate to in some way. My civil litigation experience is a lot more on the business side, which isn't the most exhilarating dinner conversation if you're not with a bunch of other lawyers.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, adding my name to the c/o 2022 non trad list. I'm currently on the tail end of a diy post bacc, and plan on taking the MCAT in January. It felt like forever waiting year after year, but now we are mere months away. :scared:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I apologize for the mere absence. However, I have been incredibly busy as I am sure you all have been as well.
My current schedule is 2 Chapters of Kaplan context per week day. Then as many as I can absorb efficiently on the weekends. Each day I review the key concepts from the Day before and each weekend re-review the concepts from the previous week.
Space- Interval- Retention.

Good Luck and Keep Pounding !!!!

Reactions: 2 users
13 books are here, 2 more to go. The countdown begins. Good luck to all of us in this struggle.

Attachments

• 1019161220.jpg
    1019161220.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 73
I apologize for the mere absence. However, I have been incredibly busy as I am sure you all have been as well.
My current schedule is 2 Chapters of Kaplan context per week day. Then as many as I can absorb efficiently on the weekends. Each day I review the key concepts from the Day before and each weekend re-review the concepts from the previous week.
Space- Interval- Retention.

Good Luck and Keep Pounding !!!!

How's it going? If I make it through 4 chapters in a week I'm happy. I can't imagine 10+.

Hi, fellow nontrads! I was planning on applying spring 2018, but I've moved my timeline up to this coming spring, and I'm feeling a bit nervous! My prereqs are done except biochem, which I'll be taking this spring. Planning on April 22 MCAT - anyone else taking this one?
My uGPA from 10+ years ago is only 3.51 (hopefully 3.56 after post-bacc grades get factored in - I currently have 4.0 in my DIY refresher postbacc) so I'm hoping to kill the MCAT to balance that out.
I'm just starting MCAT prep - have ordered the Kaplan book set and am thinking about adding either some TBR or EK books, plus TPR just for psych. Any advice from those of you farther into these review books?
Thanks! Excited to be on this journey with all of you!

Hello everyone!
I am also a non-trad hoping to apply summer 2017.
I'm finishing up a DIY postbacc at my local CC while working full-time and I'm registered for the April 28th mcat. Goodluck to everyone on this journey! I'm excited and nervous all at the same time!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, fellow nontrads! I was planning on applying spring 2018, but I've moved my timeline up to this coming spring, and I'm feeling a bit nervous! My prereqs are done except biochem, which I'll be taking this spring. Planning on April 22 MCAT - anyone else taking this one?
My uGPA from 10+ years ago is only 3.51 (hopefully 3.56 after post-bacc grades get factored in - I currently have 4.0 in my DIY refresher postbacc) so I'm hoping to kill the MCAT to balance that out.
I'm just starting MCAT prep - have ordered the Kaplan book set and am thinking about adding either some TBR or EK books, plus TPR just for psych. Any advice from those of you farther into these review books?
Thanks! Excited to be on this journey with all of you!

I'm prepping right now for the Jan. 28 MCAT. My best advice is to work through some AAMC material early in the process. People spend hours wondering which test prep company is best/most realistic/etc. You can easily answer that question yourself by looking at AAMC material and comparing it to your prep materials. The worst and most demoralizing thing you can do is spend a hundred hours doing content review only to then work through some AAMC material and realize what you've been doing hasn't prepared you at all for the actual MCAT.

It looks like you'll be a strong applicant if you can do well on the MCAT. I'm in the same boat, so good luck to us both.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm prepping right now for the Jan. 28 MCAT. My best advice is to work through some AAMC material early in the process.

Which AAMC materials do you suggest for early on? I've gone through the official guide and the official flash cards, but I've read on several posts that people recommend saving the AAMC practice tests for later, towards the end of prep.
Thanks

I'm feeling downtrodden. Semester grades just came out, and I'm sitting at a 3.4 GPA for my DIY post-bac so far. Maybe I should have stuck with practicing law. I feel the MD slipping away...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'm feeling downtrodden. Semester grades just came out, and I'm sitting at a 3.4 GPA for my DIY post-bac so far. Maybe I should have stuck with practicing law. I feel the MD slipping away...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'm sorry you didn't do better, but 3.4 is fine for DO and it doesn't even take you out of the running for MD if you are otherwise competitive to include a strong MCAT score. Hang in there!!

Hi all,

I'm a hopeful Class of 2022 member and adding my hat into the ring. I'm a 28 y/o physical therapist with a master's and doctorate in the field from a Top 10 school that is also a Top 10 medical school. I've been practicing for almost 5 years and have been considering a switch to MD/DO for about 3 of those years. I finally decided to go for it 6 months ago. Physical therapy is a wonderful field, and I have a great job, but I have come to terms with being more interested in the medical management of patients than just the musculoskeletal management of them. This forum has been super helpful and inspiring!

Classes I have left to take:
Orgo II - taking in Winter 2017
Genetics - taking in Winter 2017
Orgo III - taking in Spring 2017
Biochemistry - taking in Spring 2017

I am taking the MCAT in April or May (still deciding). My overall GPA is 3.63, science GPA 3.68. I just recently started building up some physician shadowing hours and already have a decent amount of EC's and volunteering.

The part I am most nervous about is studying for the MCAT while also working full-time and taking a couple difficult classes. I'm hopeful that the classes will serve as study sessions but we shall see!

Hi all,

I'm a hopeful Class of 2022 member and adding my hat into the ring. I'm a 28 y/o physical therapist with a master's and doctorate in the field from a Top 10 school that is also a Top 10 medical school. I've been practicing for almost 5 years and have been considering a switch to MD/DO for about 3 of those years. I finally decided to go for it 6 months ago. Physical therapy is a wonderful field, and I have a great job, but I have come to terms with being more interested in the medical management of patients than just the musculoskeletal management of them. This forum has been super helpful and inspiring!

Classes I have left to take:
Orgo II - taking in Winter 2017
Genetics - taking in Winter 2017
Orgo III - taking in Spring 2017
Biochemistry - taking in Spring 2017

I am taking the MCAT in April or May (still deciding). My overall GPA is 3.63, science GPA 3.68. I just recently started building up some physician shadowing hours and already have a decent amount of EC's and volunteering.

The part I am most nervous about is studying for the MCAT while also working full-time and taking a couple difficult classes. I'm hopeful that the classes will serve as study sessions but we shall see!

Welcome and good luck! If you're worried about the MCAT, start studying now.

Hello Everyone,

Adding my name to the list of people applying in 2017. Just finished O Chem II - MCAT is on April 28, 2017. I live in Texas and am thinking of only applying to TMDSAS schools. Would love to hear what other Texans/ and everyone else is doing. Good luck to everyone in your classes/MCAT prep.

Hello Everyone,

Adding my name to the list of people applying in 2017. Just finished O Chem II - MCAT is on April 28, 2017. I live in Texas and am thinking of only applying to TMDSAS schools. Would love to hear what other Texans/ and everyone else is doing. Good luck to everyone in your classes/MCAT prep.

I'm a Texas resident so I've spent some time thinking about this issue. One school of thought is that TX has lots of schools and a strong instate preference, so Texans don't need to apply out of state (unless they are highly competitive and are targeting the top schools). Because of the incredibly low instate tuition, your average OOS school is reluctant to admit a Texan because they know the applicant will likely opt for the lower tuition.

If you subscribe to this school of thought and your qualifications place you around the median for TX matriculants, you would only apply to TX schools. If you are below the median, you would apply to the TX schools plus OOS DO schools. Only if you are highly qualified would you add some top OOS schools. And in no case would apply to the vast majority of your typical OOS MD schools.

I don't have my MCAT score yet, so I can't tell you what my plan is. Though my tentative plan is to only apply to TX schools if I score a 507 or better (my app is otherwise strong). Any lower and I will apply to the TX schools, some OOS schools that are particularly military/veteran friendly, the IS schools in the state I grew up in, and DO schools.

Would you recommend taking biochem at UNE? I would appreciate any information you could provide about the class.

I took that class, worked consistently, but not insanely, hard (1-2 hours every day), and took a little less than 16 weeks to finish it. In the end, I learned a ton and got an A without too much trouble. But let me caveat all that by saying there are many people who disagree with me. And while I'm sure this is a generalization, it seems to me that many who struggle are those who complete the class in a crazy short period of time (e.g. a few weeks), or who have never taken an online course before and are frustrated that doing well takes a lot of self-initiative.

There is a thread in the pre-osteopathic forum called something like "The Official UNE Course Thread" where this topic has been discussed ad naseum.

Hello Everyone,

Texas guy here as well. Welcome to the group! I'm registered for the 4/28 MCAT as of now, but I'm considering taking it earlier. My plan is to only apply to Texas schools.

Best of luck studying!

Just now finding this group! I am a 30 something mother of 4. I am an active duty Air Force midwife. Yes, there are midwives in the military, yes, I am an officer, yes, I am fully credentialed to deliver babies by myself...anyhow this has been my life for the past 7.5 years. My husband recently retired and is incredibly supportive of me going back to school. I am retaking the MCAT this week...eeek. Here are the schools I applying to:
Allo: USUHS, NYU (total reach but they have a 3 year program), Ohio State, Wayne State, University of Colorado, Meharry, Morehouse, Wake Forest, Indiana University, Georgetown, and Tulane
Osteo: Pacific Northwest University, Ohio University, Rocky Vista, PCOM-GA

Can you guys believe applications open in 4 months?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just now finding this group! I am a 30 something mother of 4. I am an active duty Air Force midwife. Yes, there are midwives in the military, yes, I am an officer, yes, I am fully credentialed to deliver babies by myself...anyhow this has been my life for the past 7.5 years. My husband recently retired and is incredibly supportive of me going back to school. I am retaking the MCAT this week...eeek. Here are the schools I applying to:
Allo: USUHS, NYU (total reach but they have a 3 year program), Ohio State, Wayne State, University of Colorado, Meharry, Morehouse, Wake Forest, Indiana University, Georgetown, and Tulane
Osteo: Pacific Northwest University, Ohio University, Rocky Vista, PCOM-GA

Can you guys believe applications open in 4 months?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Good luck on Thursday!!!

And no I cannot believe how close we are to applying. For those of us applying in TX, we can click submit on May 1st. That's only 105 days, not that I'm counting.

Starting today. Molecular Biology and 2 Engineering classes (8 credits). Working 12 hrs nights, 60 hours a week. It will be tough.
Wish me luck.
Good luck. I hope to be apart of this class as well.

Hi everyone, I'm a nurse for five years and parent planning to apply this coming cycle.

I'm taking the MCAT April 28, but procrastination of studying is severe for me. I've never prepared for an exam for such a long time. Any tips?

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I'm a former teacher and rpcv now ER nurse for five years and mom of two boys planning to apply this coming cycle.

I'm taking the MCAT April 28, but procrastination of studying is severe for me. I've never prepared for an exam for such a long time. Any tips?

I just took it today. My tip is not to procrastinate. The AAMC recommends 300 hours of prep. Make a schedule that includes 300 hours and stick to it religiously. Make sure it incorporates doing and reviewing every piece of AAMC practice material. As a fellow parent, my next tip is, to the extent possible, study out of the house where you'll be free from distraction.

Gaaaah April 22nd MCAT. Been taking DIY postbac classes for 4 years now. It's on! Crazy that I hope to be class of 2022 but started with my first postbac class in 2013. Good luck all!

June 1st MCAT here! I took my diagnostic last week and was not pleased. I'm taking a full load this semester (including biochem) so I haven't found the balance for classes/research/volunteering/TAing/MCAT prep in my schedule yet. I have my first biochem exam this week so my goal is to get cracking on MCAT as soon as that is under my belt. I can't believe I am almost done with pre-reqs!

I can't believe it's been almost three years since and I started this thread. In less than 60 days I'll submit my apps. I still can't believe the time has come. Looking back at my plan, I stuck to it pretty well. I'll have less shadowing and recent clinical volunteering than I had hoped. And I had to do a few pre-reqs online, which I had hoped to avoid. But I did better on the MCAT than I could have ever imagined. So overall the plan has been a success.

I hope everyone else is on track. And for those of you just starting out, the time will go by fast.

Now to finish my personal statement.

Reactions: 4 users
I can't believe it's been almost three years since and I started this thread. In less than 60 days I'll submit my apps. I still can't believe the time has come. Looking back at my plan, I stuck to it pretty well. I'll have less shadowing and recent clinical volunteering than I had hoped. And I had to do a few pre-reqs online, which I had hoped to avoid. But I did better on the MCAT than I could have ever imagined. So overall the plan has been a success.

I hope everyone else is on track. And for those of you just starting out, the time will go by fast.

Congrats. I too plan on applying this cycle. What kind of MCAT plan did you have?

Yay!! We are almost there. I just have to get this pesky MCAT done.

Congrats. I too plan on applying this cycle. What kind of MCAT plan did you have?

I worked through most of EK for content review and then did all the AAMC stuff. I carefully reviewed all the AAMC material and made notes for things I didn't know. I'd then do some targeted content review until I understood it. I also used anki extensively for P/S. Not all the P/S terms I came across were in the EK book, so I used google to figure out what they meant.

Good luck to you.

I worked through most of EK for content review and then did all the AAMC stuff. I carefully reviewed all the AAMC material and made notes for things I didn't know. I'd then do some targeted content review until I understood it. I also used anki extensively for P/S. Not all the P/S terms I came across were in the EK book, so I used google to figure out what they meant.

Good luck to you.

Great plan. Evidently it paid off! Mazel! Thank you for sharing. I appreciate you.

Hey... I think I found my crew. Am a little late to this thread, but I'm a non-trad 33 year old Ph.D. scientist hoping to make the leap to physician-scientist. Prereq's were completed more than a decade ago, so I'm nervously reviewing content for a May 19th MCAT while working full-time. Good luck to everyone in this cycle, I'm looking forward to following your successes in the months ahead.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone in here take the MCAT yet using TPR Prep ?

I've been reviewing for a while now and things are going well ... just wanted some input on how the MCAT reflected the content and question types

Anyone in here take the MCAT yet using TPR Prep ?

I've been reviewing for a while now and things are going well ... just wanted some input on how the MCAT reflected the content and question types

I haven't taken it yet, but am also using TPR. The TPR full lengths are pretty tough. I've read they seem to be a little more difficult than that AAMC and actual MCAT. That may or may not be true.

I haven't taken it yet, but am also using TPR. The TPR full lengths are pretty tough. I've read they seem to be a little more difficult than that AAMC and actual MCAT. That may or may not be true.
The content has been quite thick. However, laid out in a very understandable and approachable manner. I have confidence in it thus far. I plan on taking mine in June diligence is a virtue.

They are more difficult only in that the scores are deflated. The style is quite different from the AAMC. To you and all my fellow 2022ers who haven't taken the MCAT yet, I urge you not to wait too long before working through the AAMC material.

They are more difficult only in that the scores are deflated. The style is quite different from the AAMC. To you and all my fellow 2022ers who haven't taken the MCAT yet, I urge you not to wait too long before working through the AAMC material.
10-4

Thanks for the advice. Which AAMC material are you talking about?

Thanks for the advice. Which AAMC material are you talking about?

All of it! I think as soon as you've done a pass through content review, which will ideally put you at least two months before your test date, you should do the AAMC flashcards and the qpacks. Then work through the SB and OG. If you have time, do some high quality FLs from non-AAMC sources. Finally, do the AAMC FLs 3, 2, and 1 week out. For all the AAMC stuff, review thoroughly and do targeted content review if you come across stuff you don't know.

Appreciate the creation and support of this thread! Applying for class of 2022 and have all of the pre-req's completed. Decided however to swap Ochem II with Biochem. and was able to do well in it without Ochem II. First time taking the MCAT in May :bookworm: and looking forward to application cycle!

sGPA: 3.46
cGPA: 3.61
Major GPA: 3.8
MCAT: TBD

Volunteer Exp.: NIH (Summer Intern), Community Clinic (1.5 Years), American College of Health Care Execs. Local Chapter (4 Years), Community Emergency Response Team, Local (6 Months) and Local Community Support Rep for a Rare Condition (2 Years)

Working on the LOR's and PA Essay. As far as shadowing, anyone have feedback on the relevance of it if you've been immersed with medical professionals, physicians etc for some time? I feel like at times the shadowing is just another box to check off vs true and relevant experience that will provide you with a better LOR? Appreciate the thoughts

Last edited by a moderator:
Appreciate the creation and support of this thread! Applying for class of 2022 and have all of the pre-req's completed. Decided however to swap Ochem II with Biochem. and was able to do well in it without Ochem II. First time taking the MCAT in May :bookworm: and looking forward to application cycle!

sGPA: 3.46
cGPA: 3.61
Major GPA: 3.8
MCAT: TBD

Volunteer Exp.: NIH (Summer Intern), Community Clinic (1.5 Years), American College of Health Care Execs. Local Chapter (4 Years), Community Emergency Response Team, Local (6 Months) and Local Community Support Rep for a Rare Condition (2 Years)

Working on the LOR's and PA Essay. As far as shadowing, anyone have feedback on the relevance of it if you've been immersed with medical professionals, physicians etc for some time? I feel like at times the shadowing is just another box to check off vs true and relevant experience that will provide you with a better LOR? Appreciate the thoughts

I don't think any adcom has ever looked at the standard 30-50 hours of shadowing and said "we need this guy at our school!" However, I'm sure some adcoms see an absence of shadowing as a negative. If your application is otherwise awesome, it may not matter. But if your application could either way, which is true for the vast majority of applicants, I think the goal should be to avoid potential negatives at all costs. With only 39 days to go before the cycle begins, I know I certainly wish I had done more to round out my ECs.

With that said, the best thing you can do at this point is rock the MCAT. So make that your primary focus. Good luck to you!

I don't think any adcom has ever looked at the standard 30-50 hours of shadowing and said "we need this guy at our school!" However, I'm sure some adcoms see an absence of shadowing as a negative. If your application is otherwise awesome, it may not matter. But if your application could either way, which is true for the vast majority of applicants, I think the goal should be to avoid potential negatives at all costs. With only 39 days to go before the cycle begins, I know I certainly wish I had done more to round out my ECs.

With that said, the best thing you can do at this point is rock the MCAT. So make that your primary focus. Good luck to you!

- Thank you AnotherLawyer! I appreciate your insight and wishes. It does make sense from that perspective. I guess best to be safe than sorry, especially for something like the apps. Assuming from this perspective, it may not be the hours either as so much as the opportunity and respective LOR. All the best to you as well!

Studying for the May 19 MCAT over here.. taking biochem and another upper level bio.. So far I have a 4.0 in my DIY (refresher)post-bacc, but we'll see how this semester turns out. Anyone else freaking out over an upcoming MCAT date? I don't think it's going to work out to completely relearn physics and orgo (from 15 years ago) but I'm hoping I'll be able to do well enough in the other 3 sections to make up for less-than-ideal C/P score.

How is MCAT prep and application writing coming along for everyone? Anyone else have LOR doubts?

Studying for the May 19 MCAT over here.. taking biochem and another upper level bio.. So far I have a 4.0 in my DIY (refresher)post-bacc, but we'll see how this semester turns out. Anyone else freaking out over an upcoming MCAT date? I don't think it's going to work out to completely relearn physics and orgo (from 15 years ago) but I'm hoping I'll be able to do well enough in the other 3 sections to make up for less-than-ideal C/P score.

How is MCAT prep and application writing coming along for everyone? Anyone else have LOR doubts?
:highfive: Taking the May 19th exam as well. Not going to lie, a little nervous as my last pre-req courses were taken while working full time...otherwise they are all 10 years old. Wishing you (and all the others) the best with studying.