class of 2023!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Date OptomCAS submitted: 10/03/18
Date verified: 10/09/18
OAT Scores:
AA-340 TS-340
Major: Microbiology
GPA: 3.3
Extracurricular Activities: Pre optometry club president, pre health ambassador, hospital volunteer, optometry intern, vision screening volunteer, soup kitchen volunteer, berkeley opto-camp attendee, research assistant, and free eye clinic volunteer
Schools applied: Western, SCCO, Berkeley
Interviews extended/date: SCCO-10/16, Western-10/22, Berkeley-01/05
Interviews accepted: SCCO, Berkeley
Interviews declined: Western
Rejections/date: N/A
Acceptance/date: SCCO (11/05), Berkeley (02/07)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
OAT Scores:
AA-340 TS-340
Extracurricular Activities: Pre optometry club president, pre health ambassador, hospital volunteer, optometry intern, vision screening volunteer, soup kitchen volunteer, berkeley opto-camp attendee, research assistant, and free eye clinic volunteer
Interviews extended/date: SCCO-10/16, Western-10/22, Berkeley-01/04
Congrats to you! All the best. Which school will you be attending?

UPDATE:
Date OptomCAS submitted:
12/2/18
Date verified: 12/13/18
OAT Scores: AA: 340 TS: 350
Major: Biological Sciences
GPA: 3.72 (Overall Science)
Extracurricular Activities: Optometry Shadowing 150hr+, Hospital Volunteering/Shadowing 450hr+, Undergraduate Researcher, Alpha Phi Omega, Circle K International, Mortar Board Honors Society
Schools applied: Berkeley, SCCO, OSU, ICO, PCO, NECO, SUNY
Interviews extended/date: NECO (12/14), PCO (12/17), SCCO (12/17), SUNY(12/18) Berkeley (1/4), OSU (1/8), ICO (1/9)
Interviews accepted: NECO (1/28), PCO (1/8), SUNY(1/30), Berkeley (2/2)
Interviews declined: SCCO, ICO, OSU
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: PCO (1/16), NECO (1/30), SUNY (2/1) w/ a $8000 scholarship, Berkeley (2/7)

TBH, I am fotunate to be in this position, but I also don't know how to decide.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering how the interview day was at Western and what you liked and didn't like about the school
In comparison to other interview days at other schools, Western lacked in organization and content. The day started with a small presentation that did not leave me feeling super excited about coming to Western, and the whole day I only saw about two students sent to talk to us in comparison to at least ten at other schools. The interview part was pretty conversational, but what really irked me was how they wrapped up the day. There was no final overview of the program or even a formal goodbye. We just stood outside of a building and the Rep basically just left us to find our own way to the housing tour that was next. What I liked about the school was the beautiful new facilities.

Date OptomCAS submitted: 10/10/18
Date verified: 10/11/18
OAT Scores: 330AA / 320TS (2nd OAT in dec, hence later interview invites)
Major: Public Health
GPA: 3.6/3.4 (overall/science)
Extracurricular Activities: optometric scribe & tech for 1.5 years, philanthropy chair for cultural org, philanthropy & service committee for oncampus womens org, medical mission trip to peru in 2017, optocamp at berkeley 2018, vision mate for blind teenagers, optometry association
Schools applied: UHCO, SUNY, SCO, ICO, UIWRSO
Interviews extended/date: SCO 12/19, SUNY 12/28, UHCO 1/10
Interviews accepted: SUNY 1/28, UHCO 2/4
Interviews declined: SCO (found out they had a full class already and was already accepted to my top schools so i cancelled!), didn't continue supplemental app for ICO and UIWRSO bc not interested in them anymore
Acceptance/date: SUNY 2/1, UHCO 2/6!!

Attending UHCO bc I'm a tx student so its way cheaper than SUNY!!!! but issa dream to have been accepted to my TOP 2 SCHOOLS!! :') #blessed

Last edited:
Hello!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 10/21/18
Date verified: 10/22/18
OAT Scores: 320TS/310AA
Major: biology
GPA: 2.8 (had my ups and downs lol)
Extracurricular Activities: pre-optometry, BSU, Caribbean student association, over 1000 hours of optometry experience
Schools applied: NSU, Salus
Supplemental Application: NSU
Academic Update submitted: 12/17
Academic Update verified: 1/14
New GPA: 2.92
Interviews extended/date: Salus (10/24) NSU (1/29)
Interviews accepted: Salus (11/12) (2/22)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: Salus (1/16)

Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Did they put you on hold for grades?

Date OptomCAS submitted: 10/10/18
Date verified: 10/11/18
OAT Scores:
AA-330 TS-320 (2nd OAT, hence later interview invites)
Major: Public Health
GPA: 3.6/3.4
Extracurricular Activities: optometric scribe & tech for 1.5 years, filipino student association (philanthropy chair), on campus womens org, medical mission trip to peru in 2017, optocamp at berkeley 2018, vision mate for blind teenagers, optometry association
Schools applied: UHCO, SUNY, SCO, ICO, UIWRSO
Interviews extended/date: SCO 12/19, SUNY 12/28, UHCO 1/10
Interviews accepted: SUNY 1/28, UHCO 2/4
Interviews declined: SCO (found out they had a full class already and was already accepted to my top schools so i cancelled!), didn't continue supplemental app for ICO and UIWRSO
Acceptance/date: SUNY 2/1, UHCO 2/6

Attending UHCO bc I'm a tx student so its way cheaper than SUNY!!!! but issa dream to have been accepted to my TOP 2 SCHOOLS!! :') #blessed
Congrats! How did you find out the class was full at SCO?

*update*
Date OptomCAS submitted: 7/20
Date verified: 7/26
OAT Scores: 370 AA / 400 TS
Major: Psychology
GPA: 3.4
Extracurricular Activities: Shadowing, RA, VP at pre-health club, Relay for Life team captain
Schools applied: NECO, SUNY, ICO, NOVA, UHCO, OSU, UCB
Interviews extended/date: NECO(7/31), ICO(8/17), NOVA(8/6), SUNY(8/6), UHCO(8/24), UC-Berkeley (01/04)
Interviews accepted: NECO, NOVA, ICO, SUNY, UHCO, UCB
Interviews declined: OSU
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
NECO (8/21) NOVA (8/30) UHCO (9/19) ICO (9/20) SUNY (9/21) UC-Berkeley (02/07)

Does anyone have any insight as to pros/cons on SUNY vs Berkeley? If anyone else has chosen between these two before or is a current student choosing between these two now I'd love to know how you're deciding! Congrats to everyone on their acceptances thus far :)

UPDATE!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 07-16-2018
Date verified: 07-20-18
OAT Scores: 350 AA/330 TS
Major: Neuroscience
GPA: 3.49 overall, 3.30 science (optomcas calculated)
Extracurricular Activities: Pre-Optometry Club, 130+ hours of shadowing
Schools applied: OSU, ICO, SALUS, UMSL, Midwestern-Chicago
Interviews extended/date: OSU - 07-16-18, UMSL - 7-25-18, Midwestern-Chicago - 8-7-18,
SALUS - 8-8-18, ICO - 8-14-18,
Interviews accepted: OSU - 7-27-18, UMSL 8-27-18, ICO 10-1-18, SALUS 9-24-18
Interviews declined: Midwestern-Chicago
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
OSU - 8-2-18, UMSL - 8-27-18, SALUS - 9-26-18, ICO 10-5-18

I will be attending THE Ohio State University!!!

Congrats! How did you find out the class was full at SCO?

I found out at one of the schools I interviewed at... another girl just came from an SCO interview and was put on the waitlist bc the class was full :/ I was also told that someone who was accepted was emailed the official acceptance list but idk how valid that is

OAT Scores:
AA-340 TS-340
Interviews extended/date: SCCO-10/16, Western-10/22, Berkeley-01/05

omg who is this!!? i was at optocamp last summer :') congrats on berkeley!!!!

UPDATE:
Date OptomCAS submitted:
12/2/18
Date verified: 12/13/18
OAT Scores: AA: 340 TS: 350
Major: Biological Sciences
GPA: 3.72 (Overall Science)
Extracurricular Activities: Optometry Shadowing 150hr+, Hospital Volunteering/Shadowing 450hr+, Undergraduate Researcher, Alpha Phi Omega, Circle K International, Mortar Board Honors Society
Schools applied: Berkeley, SCCO, OSU, ICO, PCO, NECO, SUNY
Interviews extended/date: NECO (12/14), PCO (12/17), SCCO (12/17), SUNY(12/18) Berkeley (1/4), OSU (1/8), ICO (1/9)
Interviews accepted: NECO (1/28), PCO (1/8), SUNY(1/30), Berkeley (2/2)
Interviews declined: SCCO, ICO, OSU
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
PCO (1/16), NECO (1/30), SUNY (2/1) w/ a $8000 scholarship, Berkeley (2/7)

TBH, I am fotunate to be in this position, but I also don't know how to decide.

Do you live in CA or NY by any chance because the out of state tuition for both of them are insane.

Members don't see this ad :)
*update*
Extracurricular Activities: Shadowing, RA, VP at pre-health club, Relay for Life team captain
Interviews extended/date: NECO(7/31), ICO(8/17), NOVA(8/6), SUNY(8/6), UHCO(8/24), UC-Berkeley (01/04)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:

Does anyone have any insight as to pros/cons on SUNY vs Berkeley? If anyone else has chosen between these two before or is a current student choosing between these two now I'd love to know how you're deciding! Congrats to everyone on their acceptances thus far :)

Hey, honestly, I am in the same boat as you... I don't know how to go about choosing between the two. I have no good advice because I am honestly lost too. But, PM me if you'd like to talk more. :D

Does anyone know if the Science GPA is calculated specifically for the science pre-requisite courses required by Optometry schools? or does it apply to all the science courses taken during undergrad??

Does anyone know if the Science GPA is calculated specifically for the science pre-requisite courses required by Optometry schools? or does it apply to all the science courses taken during undergrad??

i believe it's all the science courses taken during undergrad since it says "overall" and it matches my "cumulative undergraduate science"

UPDATE: I have been totally MIA on here for months, but I just got extended an interview with SCCO yesterday. Interviewing on the 22th! I am still in shock and it was my top choice from the get go!
Date OptomCAS submitted: 09/22/18
Date verified: 09/23/18
OAT Scores: 300AA/ 300TS
Major: Kinesiology
GPA: 3.14 (overall) / 3.08 (science)
Extracurricular Activities: 3+ years of experience as a lead optometric technician, shadowed in ophthalmology, vision therapy, 2 years of being in a pre-health association, undergraduate teaching assistant for biology
Schools applied: SCCO, ICO, Western, Midwestern (AZ), Midwestern (IL)
Interviews extended/date: Midwestern (AZ) (09/24), Midwestern (IL) (09/25), Western (09/28), SCCO application placed on hold (10/03), ICO (10/11), SCCO (02/07)
Interviews accepted:
Western (10/12), Midwestern (IL) (10/15), ICO (10/26) Midwestern (AZ) (11/02), SCCO (02/22)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
Western (10/15), Midwestern (IL) (10/16), Midwestern (AZ) (11/14)

If you have any questions about Berkeley specifically, feel free to PM me.

Do you live in CA or NY by any chance because the out of state tuition for both of them are insane.

With SUNY, you can become an in-state resident after the first year. I may go elsewhere because of the high cost of living in New York and quality of life.

With SUNY, you can become an in-state resident after the first year. I may go elsewhere because of the high cost of living in New York and quality of life.
Yes, after the first year as an out-of-state student, you can apply for in-state resident as long as you meet all their requirements. I think they say that 100% of the people that want to gain residency can and do gain residency.

Date OptomCAS submitted: 09/09/18
Date verified: 09/11/18
OAT Scores: AA 360 TS 340
Major: Biology
GPA: 3.54, BCP 3.37
Extracurricular Activities: researcher, hospital volunteer, 70+ hours paid optometry intern, 100+ hours shadowing, Opto-Camp, free eye clinic volunteer, mentor in summer research program, primary author on research paper
Interviews extended/date: SCCO 10/05, Berkeley 01/05
Interviews declined: none
Rejections/date: none
Acceptance/date: SCCO 10/07, Berkeley 02/09
Attending: Berkeley! Super excited.

Western was my safety school, so since I heard back from SCCO first, I decided to withdraw my application. I was between SCCO and Berkeley, but Berkeley is my dream school so I'll be heading there. Congrats to everyone else on your acceptances as well!

Berkeley also allows you to do this, given that you aren't an international student.

*update*
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:

Congrats all on your acceptances! Could you give some insight about your Nova interview and what it was like?

@helpmeout382100 Sure thing! :)

The interview was definitely the most relaxed out of the ones I attended so I wouldn't worry too much - if they invited you to interview you're already vetted they just want to get to know you better!
Our day started with a short written essay, to be honest, I can't remember the specific question but I do remember it was a typical interview question to get us thinking about what we'd say when they ask "why optometry" or "why NOVA". The essay portion I think took 15 minutes tops, I don't think it's anything that is evaluated too seriously I think they just want to see how you articulate your thoughts on paper.

Next, we waited in the lobby with one interview administrator who was giving us all of the information we wanted to ask about the school, financial aid, curriculum, all while one of us were taking turns getting called for the interview portion. I did think this was slightly odd, since there was no formal presentation of information or a powerpoint or anything, we were just having a laid back conversation in the lobby. Make sure you come with questions to ask because since this "portion" is concurrent with the interview portion, when you're in there interviewing you don't get the information that the other students asked outside in the lobby, if that makes sense.

The actual interview was laid back and conversational, I had two faculty members but you may have three, they'll ask you very generic questions to start and get to know you but from there on it becomes more of a conversation. Make sure you have questions prepared for them when they ask if you have any.

Lastly, we toured the building and the clinic, the facilities are nice, and then we got to have lunch with current students who answered our questions without faculty around to get their true opinions.

Wish you all the best :) good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Update!

Date OptomCAS submitted:
12/18/2018
Date verified: 02/01/2019
OAT Scores: 330AA/ 320 TS
GPA: 3.49
Extracurricular Activities: Licensed optician, 1000+ shadowing hours.
Schools applied: NOVA
Interviews extended/date: 2/18/2019
Interviews accepted: 2/18/2019
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: 3/8/2019

Got accepted to Nova ! So excited!!!! :)))

Am I too late in the cycle??:(For those who applied at NOVA, how long before you heard from them for an interview? Any tips for the interview.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Date OptomCAS submitted: 12/18/2018
Date verified: 02/01/2019
OAT Scores: 330AA/ 320 TS
GPA: 3.49
Extracurricular Activities: Licensed optician, 1000+ shadowing hours.
Schools applied: NOVA
Interviews extended/date:
Interviews accepted:
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:

Am I too late in the cycle??:(For those who applied at NOVA, how long before you heard from them for an interview? Any tips for the interview.
One of my friend told me that Nova accepted about 70-75% of student for the class but I don't think you are too late. Why it takes so long to verified?

One of my friend told me that Nova accepted about 70-75% of student for the class but I don't think you are too late. Why it takes so long to verified?
One of my schools took really long to send the transcripts since I requested them late in the year and it took almost two weeks for optomcas to verify everything. But I already submitted my secondary application. I received an email from nova yesterday to let me know they have both applications. I just hope to hear from them soon! I’m so nervous

One of my schools took really long to send the transcripts since I requested them late in the year and it took almost two weeks for optomcas to verify everything. But I already submitted my secondary application. I received an email from nova yesterday to let me know they have both applications. I just hope to hear from them soon! I’m so nervous
I'm sure you will get in. Keep FAITH!! Patience..

I am pretty sure you will get a interview. Are you gonna to apply more schools?

I am pretty sure you will get a interview. Are you gonna to apply more schools?
Nova is my #1 choice, i just want to wait and see what happens. My husband has a 3 year contract with a hospital here in Florida and i don’t know what would happen if I don’t get in. That’s why I’m so worried.

@helpmeout382100 Sure thing! :)

The interview was definitely the most relaxed out of the ones I attended so I wouldn't worry too much - if they invited you to interview you're already vetted they just want to get to know you better!
Our day started with a short written essay, to be honest, I can't remember the specific question but I do remember it was a typical interview question to get us thinking about what we'd say when they ask "why optometry" or "why NOVA". The essay portion I think took 15 minutes tops, I don't think it's anything that is evaluated too seriously I think they just want to see how you articulate your thoughts on paper.

Next, we waited in the lobby with one interview administrator who was giving us all of the information we wanted to ask about the school, financial aid, curriculum, all while one of us were taking turns getting called for the interview portion. I did think this was slightly odd, since there was no formal presentation of information or a powerpoint or anything, we were just having a laid back conversation in the lobby. Make sure you come with questions to ask because since this "portion" is concurrent with the interview portion, when you're in there interviewing you don't get the information that the other students asked outside in the lobby, if that makes sense.

The actual interview was laid back and conversational, I had two faculty members but you may have three, they'll ask you very generic questions to start and get to know you but from there on it becomes more of a conversation. Make sure you have questions prepared for them when they ask if you have any.

Lastly, we toured the building and the clinic, the facilities are nice, and then we got to have lunch with current students who answered our questions without faculty around to get their true opinions.

Wish you all the best :) good luck!

Wow thank you for being so detailed! I wish you all the best with your future endeavors :)

Got my acceptance email from ICO this morning, but it's a "conditional acceptance"? Like it mentioned something that I had to maintain a higher GPA than the other students until after 1st year.

GPA: 3.14 (overall) / 3.08 (science)
Extracurricular Activities: 3+ years of experience as a lead optometric technician, shadowed in ophthalmology, vision therapy, 2 years of being in a pre-health association, undergraduate teaching assistant for biology
Interviews extended/date: Midwestern (AZ) (09/24), Midwestern (IL) (09/25), Western (09/28), ICO (10/11), SCCO (02/07)
Interviews accepted: Western (10/12), Midwestern (IL) (10/15), ICO (10/26) Midwestern (AZ) (11/02), SCCO (02/22)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
Western (10/15), Midwestern (IL) (10/16), Midwestern (AZ) (11/14), ICO (02/15)

Got my acceptance email from ICO this morning, but it's a "conditional acceptance"? Like it mentioned something that I had to maintain a higher GPA than the other students until after 1st year.

How does that work? So you’re accepted into ICO but they need you to maintain a certain GPA during the first year of classes to continue in the program?

Date OptomCAS submitted: 09/1/2018
Date verified: 09/08/208
OAT Scores: 270 TS/ 330 A.A.
Major: Biology, masters biology
GPA: 3.2
Extracurricular Activities: optometric tech since October 2018, medical assistant for 2 years, volunteer at a school
Schools applied: SUNY, SALUS, NECO, CCO, ICO, WESTERN, MCPHS
Interviews extended/date: SALUS, CCO, ICO,WESTERN, MCPHS
Interviews accepted: ALL BUT
Interviews declined: MCPHS
Rejections/date:SUNY
Acceptance/date: SALUS, CCO, ICO, WESTERN

I wasn’t going to post on here but I made this account with the sole purpose of encouraging people to apply. Despite my low oat scores and my gpa I was still offered seats in 4 of the 7 schools I applied too. If you guys have any questions you can message me on here. If you’re passionate about optometry I’m sure you will definitely get in.

Reactions: 8 users
Those of you who applied to Nova, the supplemental requires 500-1500 words. Ive read some forums way back in 2010 that most applicants did 500 words as they chose quality of quantity. Was curious on what your word count ended at for the application. Thanks in advance!

Extracurricular Activities: pre-optometry, BSU, Caribbean student association, over 1000 hours of optometry experience
Interviews accepted: Salus (11/12) (2/15)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: Salus (1/16) NSU (2/21!!!)

My interview was a week earlier than anticipated for NSU, which is amazing. They accepted me into the POP, which is still amazing considering how I don't have to travel to Philly anymore and can just drive to Nova lol. I wish everyone else the best of luck!

late applicant!!

Date
OptomCAS submitted: 2/2/19
Date verified: 2/13/19
OAT Scores: 330AA/320TS
Major: Chemistry BS
GPA: 3.4 cumulative/3.1 science
Extracurricular Activities: pre-optometry club, oxfam club- did many volunteering events, eboard member for chem honor society, tech at OD/MD office for 2 summers, optometrist shadowing 20+ hours, opto-camper at UCB, volunteer at community center ~20 hours post-grad, medical assistant for 7 months, currently an ophthalmic tech
Schools applied: SUNY, ICO, NECO, Salus
Interviews extended/date: SUNY (2/14), Salus (2/15), NECO (2/16), ICO invite for to complete supplemental app (2/20)
Interviews accepted: SUNY (2/20), Salus (3/1)- cancelled
Interviews declined: NECO
Acceptance/date: SUNY (2/20)

SUNY is my top school and they told me I was accepted at the end of the tour so I withdrew my applications for the other schools!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
late applicant!!

Date
OptomCAS submitted: 2/2/19
Date verified: 2/13/19
OAT Scores: 330AA/320TS
Major: Chemistry BS
GPA: 3.4 cumulative/3.1 science
Extracurricular Activities: pre-optometry club, oxfam club- did many volunteering events, eboard member for chem honor society, tech at OD/MD office for 2 summers, optometrist shadowing 20+ hours, opto-camper at UCB, volunteer at community center ~20 hours post-grad, medical assistant for 7 months, currently an ophthalmic tech
Schools applied: SUNY, ICO, NECO, Salus
Interviews extended/date: SUNY (2/14), Salus (2/15), NECO (2/16), ICO invite for to complete supplemental app (2/20)
Interviews accepted: SUNY (2/20), Salus (3/1)- cancelled
Interviews declined: NECO
Acceptance/date: SUNY (2/20)

SUNY is my top school and they told me I was accepted at the end of the tour so I withdrew my applications for the other schools!
congrats!! suny let you know you were accepted in person on the day of your interview?? that's amazing wow

congrats!! suny let you know you were accepted in person on the day of your interview?? that's amazing wow
Thank you!! I was surprised too! At the end of the interview day, they told us what to expect next in terms of hearing back from SUNY (rejection, on hold/waitlist, acceptance). Then I was told I actually got accepted! I still can’t believe it haha

Hi all, congrats on getting into yalls perfered programs!! I am just joining this thread and was wondering if anyone can provide some insight to the MCPHS interview? I have an interview for the program in two weeks, and am mainly wondering about the writing sample you have to do. I am not the best writer so I am kind of stressing about it. If anyone that has gone an interview this cycle could give some more info about it, anything helps?!

Thanks!

GPA: 3.16 (overall) / 3.12 (science)
Extracurricular Activities: 4 years of experience as a lead optometric technician, shadowed in ophthalmology, vision therapy, 2 years of being in a pre-health association, undergraduate teaching assistant for biology
Interviews extended/date: Midwestern (AZ) (09/24), Midwestern (IL) (09/25), Western (09/28), ICO (10/11), SCCO (02/07)
Interviews accepted: Western (10/12), Midwestern (IL) (10/15), ICO (10/26) Midwestern (AZ) (11/02), SCCO (02/22)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
Western (10/15), Midwestern (IL) (10/16), Midwestern (AZ) (11/14), ICO (02/15), SCCO (02/25)

After a very long interview season, I can gladly say it is finally over for me. I was fortunate enough to be accepted by all the schools I applied to. Going into application season, SCCO was always my top choice. After interviewing with all the other schools and getting offers from them I almost lost hope with them. This just goes to show that schools will see through to your determination and hard work.

I will be attending SCCO this fall C/O 2023! Hope everyone finishes strong with the rest of the application season!! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Are any students committing to UCB going to take/have taken the Berkeley Extension Immunology course?
I've read limited commentary from a forum a few years ago but would like to have anyone's recent thoughts and/or experiences!

Hello!

Interviews accepted: Salus (11/12) (2/22)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: Salus (1/16)

Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!
Did you get an offer for an interview at NSU?