class of 2023!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
jusr curious ... why did salus take 3 months after your interview to let you know you were accepted ?
I had to retake my oats! sorry i forgot to mention it up there. my interview was before i took it the second time.

Members don't see this ad.

I had to retake my oats! sorry i forgot to mention it up there. my interview was before i took it the second time.
How long after they got your updated oat scores did they let you know you got accepted ? For me they are waiting on my fall grades to make a decision

How long after they got your updated oat scores did they let you know you got accepted ? For me they are waiting on my fall grades to make a decision
The new scores got updated mid december and they told me they’ll update me after christmas break. So i think they’ll take about a week or so!

Members don't see this ad :)
The new scores got updated mid december and they told me they’ll update me after christmas break. So i think they’ll take about a week or so!

Did they ask you to retake your OAT after your interview or were you already planning on retaking?

Date OptomCAS submitted: 8/12/2018
Date verified: 8/22/18
OAT Scores: 280AA/260TS
Major: Biology
GPA: 3.14
Extracurricular Activities: Part of dean's student council, worked at a private optometry office w/ 3 doctors for over two years (900+ hours), worked at an urgent care (100+ hours), part of Biology club and Chem club
Schools applied: A lot
Interviews extended/date: PUCO (12/10), PCO (12/17)
Interviews accepted: PUCO (1/10), PCO (1/17)
Interviews declined: Western
Rejections/date: A lot

Can you PM the schools you applied to and the ones you got accepted in ? thanks!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 12/2/18
Date verified: 12/13/18
OAT Scores: AA: 340 TS: 350
Major: Biological Sciences
GPA: 3.72 (Overall Science)
Extracurricular Activities: Optometry Shadowing 150hr+, Hospital Volunteering/Shadowing 450hr+, Undergraduate Researcher, Alpha Phi Omega, Circle K International, Mortar Board Honors Society
Schools applied: Berkeley, SCCO, OSU, ICO, PCO, NECO, SUNY
Interviews extended/date: NECO (12/14), PCO (12/17), SCCO (12/17), SUNY(12/18) Berkeley (1/4), OSU (1/8), ICO (1/9)
Interviews accepted: NECO (1/28), PCO (1/8), SCCO (2/9), SUNY(1/30), Berkeley (2/2), ICO (2/22)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
PCO (1/16)

Not sure if I want to interview with Berkeley and OSU yet. I will update this post as I find out more in these next 2 months.

Also, just curious, is anyone applying to the military scholarship?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Date OptomCAS submitted: 12/2/18
Date verified: 12/13/18
OAT Scores: AA: 340 TS: 350
Major: Biological Sciences
GPA: 3.72 (Overall Science)
Extracurricular Activities: Optometry Shadowing 150hr+, Hospital Volunteering/Shadowing 450hr+, Undergraduate Researcher, Alpha Phi Omega, Circle K International, Mortar Board Honors Society
Schools applied: Berkeley, SCCO, OSU, ICO, PCO, NECO, SUNY
Interviews extended/date: NECO (12/14), PCO (12/17), SCCO (12/17), SUNY(12/18) Berkeley (1/4), OSU (1/8), ICO (1/9)
Interviews accepted: NECO (1/28), PCO (1/8), SCCO (2/9), SUNY(1/30), Berkeley (2/2), ICO (2/22)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:

Not sure if I want to interview with Berkeley and OSU yet. I will update this post as I find out more in these next 2 months.

Also, just curious, is anyone applying to the military scholarship?

If you’re talking about HPSP, I think I’m going to apply to that. But I don’t think any branches have 4 year scholarships available, so we can’t apply yet.

If you’re talking about HPSP, I think I’m going to apply to that. But I don’t think any branches have 4 year scholarships available, so we can’t apply yet.
Actually, that is what I initially thought too, but the navy offers 4 year scholarships and I am currently applying for it. I do think that it may be too late to begin the application now, but definitely go for the 3 year programs! I will too if I do not get the 4 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Date OptomCAS submitted: 9/30/18
Date verified: 10/08/18
OAT Scores: 330 AA / 350 TS
Major: Neuroscience
GPA: 3.43
Extracurricular Activities: TA, pre-health organization, 2+ years experience in optical/as a technician, 100+ hrs shadowing
Schools applied: Salus, Midwestern, NSUO,ICO, NECO
Interviews extended/date:
Interviews accepted: Salus 10/12, NECO 01/14
Interviews declined: midwestern 11/24, ICO 10/25
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: Salus 10/16

Extracurricular Activities: TA, pre-health organization, 2+ years experience in optical/as a technician, 100+ hrs shadowing
Interviews accepted:
Salus 10/12, NECO 01/14
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: Salus 10/16
Hey! Congrats on your Salus acceptance. I was wondering if you had any tips/advice on how to prepare for the NECO interview?

Actually, that is what I initially thought too, but the navy offers 4 year scholarships and I am currently applying for it. I do think that it may be too late to begin the application now, but definitely go for the 3 year programs! I will too if I do not get the 4 years.

Ah man I wish I knew this earlier! I contacted a recruiter just in case it's not too late for me, but I'll definitely go for the 3 year programs if this doesn't work out.

Date OptomCAS submitted: 11/20/18
Date verified: 11/21/18
OAT Scores: 300 TS, 310 AA
GPA: 3.4
Extracurricular Activities: ~40 hours shadowing, pre-opt club, mostly volunteering in non-optometry related things
Schools applied: Salus, NECO, MCPHS, KYCO, ICO, SCO, Pacific
Interviews accepted: Salus (12/18)
Interviews declined: NECO, MCPHS, KYCO, ICO
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: Salus (1/18)

@Optgal96 hey congrats on your acceptance to Salus! I got an acceptance too however they said they'll let me know about provisions in the official letter, did they say the same to you? Im so confused if Im even accepted or not lol

@Optgal96 hey congrats on your acceptance to Salus! I got an acceptance too however they said they'll let me know about provisions in the official letter, did they say the same to you? Im so confused if Im even accepted or not lol

Yeah it was a provisional acceptance that said it would be finalized when I completed my missing requirements (English classes) with a C or higher

@Optgal96 when did they send you what the provisions were? And did they email it or mail it out?

@Optgal96 when did they send you what the provisions were? And did they email it or mail it out?
You're accepted don't worry lol. They emailed and mailed it to me (the acceptance letter and the matriculation forms)

If anyone wants more info on NECO and is considering it as an option, PM me.

Hello again!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 10/21/18
Date verified: 10/22/18
OAT Scores: 320TS/310AA
Major: biology
GPA: 2.8 (had my ups and downs lol)
Extracurricular Activities: pre-optometry, BSU, Caribbean student association, over 1000 hours of optometry experience
Schools applied: NSU, Salus
Supplemental Application: NSU
Academic Update submitted: 12/17
Academic Update verified: 1/14
New GPA: 2.92
Interviews extended/date: Salus (10/24)
Interviews accepted: Salus (11/12)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: Salus (1/16)

I'm still waiting to hear from NSU lol

Hello again!

Extracurricular Activities: pre-optometry, BSU, Caribbean student association, over 1000 hours of optometry experience
Interviews extended/date: Salus (10/24)
Interviews accepted: Salus (11/12)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:

I'm still waiting to hear from NSU lol
Congrats on the acceptance! Let us know when you hear from NSU.
Thanks!

Interviews accepted: Salus 10/12, NECO 01/14
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: Salus 10/16, NECO 1/18

Date OptomCAS submitted: 7/16/18
Date verified: 7/26/18
OAT Scores (6/8/18): AA 280/ TS 280
OAT Scores retake (1/15/19): AA 310/ TS 320
Major: Science
GPA: 2.96
Extracurricular Activities: 4 yrs ophthalmic tech, 300+ shadowing hours, ophthalmic surgery shadowing, medical org., ophthalmology lab tutor.
Schools applied: SUNY, PCO, ICO, UAB, SCCO, SCO, NOVA, KYCO, IUSO, WesternU.
Interviews extended/date: PCO(9/7/18), SCO(2/1/19), KYCO(2/25/19), NOVA (2/29/19)
Interviews accepted: PCO
Interviews declined: SCO, KYCO, NOVA
Rejections/date:UAB(9/4/18), IUSO (2/16/19)
Acceptance/date: PCO(1/23/19)

Last edited:
has anyone here had any problems rescheduling interviews last minute? due to flight cancellation i'm unable to make an interview anymore that was supposed to be tomorrow and i need to reschedule it, now i'm super worried :(
Can you email the program? Especially if it's weather-related with the flights, I would definitely let them know. Keep proof of your attempts to contact them, in case they wish to use it against you.

Extracurricular Activities: 4 yrs ophthalmic tech, 300+ shadowing hours, ophthalmic surgery shadowing, medical org., ophthalmology lab tutor.
Interviews extended/date: PCO(9/7/18), SCO(2/1/19), KYCO(2/25/19)
Interviews declined: SCO, KYCO

hi. you got interview in SCO (2/1/2019) are you going to have interview with them on SCO on Feb 1?
if you don't mind. could you please PM?
thanks

hi. you got interview in SCO (2/1/2019) are you going to have interview with them on SCO on Feb 1?
if you don't mind. could you please PM?
thanks
I tried to pm but you’re on private I believe. I am cancelling my interview with SCO and KYCO since I prefer PCO over them.

Hello!

Interviews extended/date: Salus (10/24) NSU (1/29)
Interviews accepted: Salus (11/12) (2/22)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:

Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Date OptomCAS submitted: Dec 24
Date verified: Dec 27
OAT Scores: 320/330
Major: Gen Bio
GPA: 3.2 overall, 2.8 science
Extracurricular Activities: 50+ job shadowing hours, working as optometric tech, leadership roles in university clubs
Schools applied: WUCO, CCO, PUCO, ICO
Interviews extended/date: WUCO (1/9) CCO (12/28) PUCO (1/10) ICO (supplemental invite 1/9)
Interviews accepted: PUCO
Interviews declined: ICO (did not complete supplemental), CCO, WUCO, ((I canceled these interviews after being accepted to PUCO!))
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: PUCO (1/24!)

Interviews extended/date: PCO(9/7/18), SCO(2/1/19), KYCO(2/25/19)
Interviews declined: SCO, KYCO
Congrats on your acceptance! Did you have to retake your OAT? or did they not mention that? I have the same score

Date OptomCAS submitted: 11/17/18
Date verified: 11/19/18
OAT Scores: 350 TS/AA
Major: Biomedical Sciences
GPA: 3.74
Extracurricular Activities: 30+ hours shadowing with two diff optometrists, SickKids volunteer, CNIB volunteer, pre-opto club executive, research, golden key international honour society member, other school clubs/etc.
Schools applied: SUNY, PCO, NECO, Waterloo, ICO (supp. invite 11/28)
Interviews extended/date: SUNY (11/21), NECO (11/21), PCO (11/26), Waterloo (11/29)
Interviews accepted: SUNY (11/28), NECO (01/25), Waterloo (1/12)
Interviews declined: PCO, ICO (did not complete supp.)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: SUNY (11/30) w/ 10,000 per year, NECO (01/30)

Just waiting on Waterloo to make a decision! Also for anyone who's received a scholarship from NECO, did they let you know you've received one in the acceptance letter or at a separate time?

Date OptomCAS submitted: 9/2/8
Date verified: 9/10/18
OAT Scores:
360 AA/ 340TS
Major: Public Health
GPA:
Extracurricular Activities: shadowing, work as optometry technician for ~7 months (15hrs a week), vision screenings outreach, service fraternity
Schools applied: SCCO, ICO, MCPHS, UCB, Western
Interviews extended/date: SCCO (9/15), MCPHS (9/17), Western (9/20)
Interviews accepted: SCCO (10/6), Western (11/16)
Interviews declined: MCPHS, ICO
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
SCCO (10/8)
I was wondering how the interview day was at Western and what you liked and didn't like about the school

Extracurricular Activities: 30+ hours shadowing with two diff optometrists, SickKids volunteer, CNIB volunteer, pre-opto club executive, research, golden key international honour society member, other school clubs/etc.
Interviews extended/date: SUNY (11/21), NECO (11/21), PCO (11/26), Waterloo (11/29)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
SUNY (11/30) w/ 10,000 per year, NECO (01/30)

Just waiting on Waterloo to make a decision! Also for anyone who's received a scholarship from NECO, did they let you know you've received one in the acceptance letter or at a separate time?
It'll say in the acceptance letter

Ah man I wish I knew this earlier! I contacted a recruiter just in case it's not too late for me, but I'll definitely go for the 3 year programs if this doesn't work out.

Let me know if you need any help connecting with an Army healthcare recruiter. Our board results just came out for this year for the 3 and 2 year scholarships. Would be glad to help!

Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
SUNY (11/30) w/ 10,000 per year, NECO (01/30)

Congrats!!! NECO let me know about my scholarship in my acceptance letter. My deposit is due tomorrow and I won't be putting one down so that scholarship ($10,000/yr) will be going back into the pot! Now we both wait on Waterloo... haha

I am posting to give people hope if you are changing careers. I am 33 and come from an art and design background. I have strabismus and had multiple eye operations that were unsuccessful, but more recently gained the ability to read without speech-to-text software, see 3D, and drive safely through vision therapy. I also did not receive the proper approved accommodations(large font) on the OAT, which made my eyes cross most of the time during the exam.

Date OptomCAS submitted:
9/2018
Date verified: 10/2018
OAT Scores: 260TS/300AA (took it 1/28)
Major: I am an older adult student with BA in Photography, BFA in Visual Arts, MFA in Art and Technology, and partial PhD in Higher Ed
GPA: wide ranging, 3.8 in most recent science coursework
Extracurricular Activities: Developed animations and games to help others achieve binocular vision, adjunct art and design professor and full-time I write Bachelors to PhD level curriculum for the College of Nursing at a university.
Schools applied: ICO, CCO, NSU, OSU, SCO, UAB
Interviews extended/date: ICO 10/5
Interviews accepted: ICO 11/5
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date: OSU 2/3
Acceptance/date: ICO 2/4

The other schools have my application on hold due to my OAT score. If I can get proper accommodations from the testing organization, I plan on taking the OAT again. If not, I am very excited to go to ICO. I have heard that is a great school and from optometrists in the field that it has a great VT program.

Reactions: 3 users
I am posting to give people hope if you are changing careers. I am 33 and come from an art and design background. I have strabismus and had multiple eye operations that were unsuccessful, but more recently gained the ability to read without speech-to-text software, see 3D, and drive safely through vision therapy. I also did not receive the proper approved accommodations(large font) on the OAT, which made my eyes cross most of the time during the exam.

Date OptomCAS submitted:
9/2018
Date verified: 10/2018
OAT Scores: 260TS/300AA (took it 1/28)
Major: I am an older adult student with BA in Photography, BFA in Visual Arts, MFA in Art and Technology, and partial PhD in Higher Ed
GPA: wide ranging, 3.8 in most recent science coursework
Extracurricular Activities: Developed animations and games to help others achieve binocular vision, adjunct art and design professor and full-time I write Bachelors to PhD level curriculum for the College of Nursing at a university.
Schools applied: ICO, CCO, NSU, OSU, SCO, UAB
Interviews extended/date: ICO 10/5
Interviews accepted: ICO 11/5
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
OSU 2/3
Acceptance/date: ICO 2/4

The other schools have my application on hold due to my OAT score. If I can get proper accommodations from the testing organization, I plan on taking the OAT again. If not, I am very excited to go to ICO. I have heard that is a great school and from optometrists in the field that it has a great VT program.

Thanks for posting! You give all of us and future Optometry students hope. Was there a specific reason why ICO took 3 months after interview to accept?

Date OptomCAS submitted: 11/2018
Date verified: 12/2018
OAT Scores: 300 TS/330 AA
Major: Biology, older applicant that took time off after completing undergrad
GPA: 3.3, 3.0 science gpa
Extracurricular Activities: Shadowing experience in optometry
Schools applied: ICO, PCO, UHCO, SUNY, NSUCO, CCO, AZCOPT, Western, UIWRSO, MCPHS, NECO, SCCO
Interviews extended/date: 12/2018 for all of the above
Interviews accepted: PCO, UHCO, SUNY, NSUCO, CCO, AZCOPT
Interviews declined: ICO, Western, UIWRSO, MCPHS, NECO, SCCO
Rejections/date: N/A
Acceptance/date: PCO, CCO (12/2018); UHCO, SUNY, NSUCO, AZCOPT (1/2019)

Last edited:
Date OptomCAS submitted: in process..
Date verified: in process..
OAT Scores: have yet to take!
Major: Biological & Physical Science | Minor: Microbiology & Biology
GPA: Overall 3.32 -- Waiting on OptomCas to Verify!
Extracurricular Activities: Basketball team at University. 2 Research labs. Elementary school volunteer. Volunteer at homeless shelter. Prison ministry volunteer. Nursing home volunteer. Unload food truck for a drive. Over 2000+ optometry experience. Ambassador of my university.
Schools applied: UIWRSO. Salus. UPIKE, NECO. (in process, not yet submitted).
Interviews accepted:
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:

Last edited:
Date OptomCAS submitted: 09/2018
Date verified: 09/2018
OAT Scores: have yet to take!
Major: Biological & Physical Science | Minor: Microbiology & Biology
GPA: Overall 3.32 (last known GPA). Waiting on OptomCas to Verify!
Extracurricular Activities: Basketball team at University. 2 Research labs. Volunteer at an Elementary school. Volunteer at homeless shelter. Prison ministry. Visit nursing home to spend time with residents. Unload food truck for a drive. Over 2000+ optometry experience. Ambassador of my university; had the honor to have my face all around the city in malls, billboards, magazines, newspapers, buses, etc.
Schools applied: UIWRSO. Salus. UPIKE, MCPHS, NECO. (in process, not yet submitted).
Interviews accepted:
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:

I'm sorry, I'm very confused. When did you submit your application and, if it's verified, when did it get verified?

I'm interviewing with ICO on Thursday and I have a handful of C's including prereq courses and I even had a D- on my transcript that has already been retaken but I'm sure it will just brought up during the interview and they want to know how you will respond to their concerns about these grade discrepancies. I definitely wouldn't listen to the OD that you shadowed, over the 3 and half years of working in optometry, I've met so many different optometrists that gave me mixed feedback on how to apply to OD school, most of them told me they had no doubts that I would get in considering my experience and background, then the other small percentage of them told me it was all about grades and OAT scores. Everyone has their own opinions on it, so definitely do not take one person's opinion over how you value yourself.

Curious on how you answered these. I have a good amount of Cs and retakes. Is honest the best policy in these scenarios or should I create a better story. The truth is I really just wasn’t mature and taking classes seriously. I didn’t know how important it would Be for me in the future

Curious on how you answered these. I have a good amount of Cs and retakes. Is honest the best policy in these scenarios or should I create a better story. The truth is I really just wasn’t mature and taking classes seriously. I didn’t know how important it would Be for me in the future

I had my fair share, they are not THAT big of a deal if they call you for an interview. No need for an extravagant story, they just want to make sure you are not the same person who made those grades.The topic was brought up during two of my open interviews but I never got any rejections.

I had my fair share, they are not THAT big of a deal if they call you for an interview. No need for an extravagant story, they just want to make sure you are not the same person who made those grades.The topic was brought up during two of my open interviews but I never got any rejections.

thank you for your help! :) congrats btw !