Class of 2025 :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Date OptomCAS submitted: 01/04/2021
Date verified: 01/08/2021
OAT Scores: 390AA / 400TS
Major: Biology
GPA (Overall/Science): 3.62 overall
Schools applied: UAB, OSU, UC Berkley
Interviews extended/date: OSU (1/08), UAB (1/15)
Interviews accepted/date: OSU (1/08), UAB (1/15)
Interviews declined/date: UC Berkley (1/27)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: OSU (1/27)

Go Bucks!
Feel free to ask any questions!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Date OptomCAS submitted: 12/25/2020
Date verified: 12/28/2020
OAT Scores: 380AA/390TS
Major: Biology w/ Biochemistry Minor
GPA (Overall/Science): 3.85 overall/ 3.83 science
Schools applied: UHCO, UIWRSO, ICO, SCO
Interviews extended/date: UIWRSO (1/6), SCO (1/13), UHCO (1/19)
Interviews accepted/date: UIWRSO (1/13), SCO (1/22), UHCO (2/10)
Interviews declined/date: ICO (1/15)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: UIWRSO (1/20), SCO (1/26), UHCO (2/24)

will be attending UHCO :D go coogs!

I was interviewed by two people and one of them was a psychology professor so I was a little nervous lol especially since my other interviews were with one faculty member.
It was open file and they asked why I had drops and withdrawals so I had to explain those.
the questions were just the usual, they started by the usual tell me about yourself, and why optometry, why SUNY. they also asked about my shadowing hours and if any patients' conditions stood out. and finally they asked about three characteristics I thought would make a good optometrist.
Did you ever hear back from SUNY? :) thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Date OptomCAS submitted: 10/03/2020
Date verified: 10/06/2020
OAT Scores: 280 AA/ 270 TS
Major: Public Health with a minor in Biology
GPA (Overall/Science): 3.3 overall/3.1 science
Extracurricular Activities: full-time optometric technician, volunteered with AED, Pre-Optometry Club, 40+ vision screening with Prevent Blindness, Unite for Sight,100+ hours of volunteering with Lion's Club, Secretary of Pre-Student Osteopathic Med., 3 year member of my university's pre-health society, shadowed 2 optometrists, part-time work as a liaison & peer mentor
Schools applied: PCO Salus, WUCO, UABSO, IUSO, UIWRSO, OSUCO, AZCOPT, MCPHS,
Interviews extended/date: WUCO (10/09), PCO Salus (10/11), UABSO (10/16), AZCOPT (01/27)
Interviews accepted/date: MCPHS (10/23), PCO Salus (10/24), WUCO (10/24), UABSO (10/30)
Interviews I declined/date: IUSO (12/04)
Rejections/date: MCPHS (10/26),
Acceptance/date: WUCO (10/27), PCO Salus (10/29)

I'm waiting to hear back from a couple, but I think I'll be choosing between WUCO & PCO Salus. :)
Congrats !! How was your Salus interview?

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if there is an admitted students page, group me, or Facebook group for PCO 2025 students? I am interested in making a group me for admitted students!

Does anyone know if there is an admitted students page, group me, or Facebook group for PCO 2025 students? I am interested in making a group me for admitted students!
there is one! Its called "PCO Entering Class of 2021"

Date OptomCAS submitted: January 18, 2021
Date verified: February 2, 2021
OAT Scores: 300 AA, 290 TS
Major: Human Development
GPA (Overall/Science): 3.1/3.0
Schools applied: Berkeley, Western, MBKU
Interviews extended/date: MBKU (2/22), Western (3/11)
Interviews accepted/date: MBKU (3/10), Western (4/2)
Interviews declined/date:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: MBKU (3/12)

Switched from a Bio major to Human Development at a university and graduated with honors (Received GPAs 3.5-4.0 every semester after switching). Finished science pre-reqs at a cc with a 4.0 GPA straight all year round!

I have over 2000 hours of volunteer/intern/extracurricular experience. I volunteered at a children’s hospital, interned at a hospice, interned at an optometry private practice and shadowed two optometrists. Had experience working with patients of almost all ages. Also worked as a shift leader at a food industry job the entire time while also writing music as a hobby. Definitely need a Ph.D in time management to do all of that. I gained relevant skills with my music/shift leader role as well. My academics weren’t great but my academic progress soared and I really stood out with well-rounded experiences. Also had academic awards and FOUR letter of recommendations (optometrist, project manager, science professor, human development professor). It’s definitely not just the academics that’ll get you in!

Reactions: 1 users
Date OptomCAS submitted: 01.12.21
Date verified: 01.20.21
OAT Scores: 320 AA 320 TS
Major: BS Biology
Minor: Chemistry
GPA (Overall/Science): 2.94/2.60
Schools applied: ICO
Interviews extended/date: 01.25.21
Interviews accepted/date: 03.05.21
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: 03.19.21

ICO Class of 2025!

I had a recruiter at the school health fair tell me "what makes you think a school will accept you over someone else with the same scores but higher GPA?"

I'm a reapplicant. I had applied last cycle and ICO reached out saying that many parts of my application were good (probably my letters of recommendation and shadowing experience), but they wanted me to retake my OAT. Unfortunately due to COVID, my test was delayed and eventually cancelled and I had to reschedule. It ultimately ended in my application being denied. This gave me a chance to re-enroll into my university and take some upper level biology courses as well as retake my OAT to show a positive trend in academics. So now we're here :)

Reactions: 4 users
Date OptomCAS submitted: 8/3/20
Date verified: 8/6/20
OAT Scores: 320AA/320TS
Major: Biology w minors in forensics/criminal justice
GPA (Overall/Science): 3.60/3.32
Schools applied: IUSO, KYCO, OSU, ICO
Interviews extended/date: OSU (8/26), ICO (10/5), KYCO (10/7)
Interviews accepted/date: OSU (10/16), ICO (11/13), KYCO (10/13)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: KYCO (10/16), OSU (10/19)

OSU class of 2025!!!
Hello kopto1997:

I hope all is well. Congratulations 🍾 on your acceptance to OSU. I’m one of your classmates.
I would love to chat.

Congrats again, and I hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,
Shawn

Members don't see this ad :)
Date OptomCAS submitted: 7/10
Date verified: 7/16
OAT Scores: TS & AA: 340
GPA : 3.73
Schools applied: SALUS, AZCOPT, NOVA, OSU
Interviews extended/date: OSU 7/13, AZCOPT 7/16
Interviews accepted/date: OSU 8/7, AZCOPT 7/31
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: AZCOPT 8/3, OSU 8/13

I’m so excited that I will be a part of OSU’s class of 2025!
Congratulations!!!!🍾

I’m so excited I’ll also be a part of OSU class of 2025!!!

Date OptomCAS submitted: July 15
Date verified: July 18
OAT Scores: 300/300
Major: Life Sciences
GPA (Overall/Science): 3.09/3.02
Schools applied: PCO, MCPHS, SCO, ICO, NOVA, IAUPR, MCO, IUSO, UABSO, KYCO
Interviews extended/date: NOVA (8/21), ICO (8/21), IUSO (8/24), MCPHS (8/26), PCO (8/28), KYCO (9/17), IAUPR (9/17), MCO (10/26)
Interviews accepted/date: NOVA (9/14), ICO (9/18), IUSO (10/16), MCPHS (9/8), PCO (9/22), KYCO (9/25), IAUPR (10/2), MCO (11/9)
Interviews declined/date: IUSO (10/8), MCO (11/4)
Rejections/date: UABSO (11/4) [on hold]
Acceptance/date: MCPHS (9/9), NOVA (9/18), PCO (9/24), KYCO (10/2), ICO (10/5), IAUPR (10/6)

what do you guys think? My GPA and OAT scores are on the lower end but I have a lot of extracurricular involvement with almost 5 years of experience in working in an optometry office, shadowing several doctors and have a high leadership position at my university's optometry club.

Edit: I've only decided to accept all the interviews as I wanna experience and see how each school is virtually as I don't have the option to see them in person.

I'll be joining MCPHS' Class of 2025!
What made u decide between MCPHS and others? What did u think of NSU?

Date OptomCAS submitted: July 15
Date verified: July 18
OAT Scores: 300/300
Major: Life Sciences
GPA (Overall/Science): 3.09/3.02
Schools applied: PCO, MCPHS, SCO, ICO, NOVA, IAUPR, MCO, IUSO, UABSO, KYCO
Interviews extended/date: NOVA (8/21), ICO (8/21), IUSO (8/24), MCPHS (8/26), PCO (8/28), KYCO (9/17), IAUPR (9/17), MCO (10/26)
Interviews accepted/date: NOVA (9/14), ICO (9/18), IUSO (10/16), MCPHS (9/8), PCO (9/22), KYCO (9/25), IAUPR (10/2), MCO (11/9)
Interviews declined/date: IUSO (10/8), MCO (11/4)
Rejections/date: UABSO (11/4) [on hold]
Acceptance/date: MCPHS (9/9), NOVA (9/18), PCO (9/24), KYCO (10/2), ICO (10/5), IAUPR (10/6)

what do you guys think? My GPA and OAT scores are on the lower end but I have a lot of extracurricular involvement with almost 5 years of experience in working in an optometry office, shadowing several doctors and have a high leadership position at my university's optometry club.

Edit: I've only decided to accept all the interviews as I wanna experience and see how each school is virtually as I don't have the option to see them in person.

I'll be joining MCPHS' Class of 2025!
what makes u decided between MCPHS and others, what did u think of NSU ?

Date OptomCAS submitted: 2/14/21
Date verified: 2/18/21
OAT Scores: 350 AA 350 TS
Major: -
GPA (Overall/Science): (2.93/2.65)
Shadowing Experience: 50 Hours at private practice
Schools applied: MCPHS/NECO/ICO/PCO
Interviews extended/date:
Interviews accepted/date: ICO (3/22), NECO (4/6), PCO (4/12)
Interviews declined/date: Withdrew from PCO due to already deciding to attend ICO
Rejections/date: MCPHS (2/26) Waitlisted for interview
Acceptance/date: ICO (4/5) NECO (4/8)

ICO 2025!

Chose ICO because I've lived in the Massachusetts and NJ area for a long time and want a change of pace (maybe). Also, NECO is more expensive rent wise so my total cost would be 50-60k just from the rent alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Date OptomCAS submitted: 2/14/21
Date verified: 2/18/21
OAT Scores: 350 AA 350 TS
Major: Neuroscience
GPA (Overall/Science): (2.93/2.65)
Shadowing Experience: 50 Hours at private practice
Schools applied: MCPHS/NECO/ICO/PCO
Interviews extended/date:
Interviews accepted/date: ICO (3/22), NECO (4/6), PCO (4/12)
Interviews declined/date: Withdrew from PCO due to already deciding to attend ICO
Rejections/date: MCPHS (2/26) Waitlisted for interview
Acceptance/date: ICO (4/5) NECO (4/8)

ICO 2025!

Chose ICO because I've lived in the Massachusetts and NJ area for a long time and want a change of pace (maybe). Also, NECO is more expensive rent wise so my total cost would be 50-60k just from the rent alone.

But honestly, the NECO interview day was incredible and the President (Dr. Purcell) is one of the coolest guys I've ever met. Guy was rocking an open collar shirt and combed back beach hair. You talk to him for a bit on interview day and you can tell he really listens to your story and thinks of ways to connect with you.

In case people are wondering about MCPHS waitlisting me. I have nothing but great words to say about MCPHS. Prior to applying I called them about my application and they thought that I should have more shadowing experience. They helped me get in contact with an amazing OD to shadow who I think I might have a life long relationship with. Great school, would have 100% attended. Worcester is a great town, lots of good food. From what I gather, the teachers there have tons of experience teaching in other schools and some are among the best from those schools. I think the MCPHS is very underrated. The board score is on the low side for now, but when people realize that the location/cost/education is much better than a lot of other schools, MCPHS will see a flood of strong applicants and the board scores will reflect that.

If anyone has any question feel free to hit me up. I have lots of free time atm and I can answer any questions to the best of my abilities.
Congrats on your acceptance! I was just wondering how your interview experience was like for ICO. Was it stressful?

Date Optomcas submitted : 7/20/2020
Date Verified : 7/30/2020
OAT Scores : 320 AA/TS
Major : Biology
GPA: 3.33
Shadowing /Experience: Observed 4 different practices. Worked as an optical lab tech for 2 summers
Schools applied: IUSO, KYCO, SCO, NECO, PCO, ICO, MCPHS,MCO, NOVA,CCO,AZCO,UIWRSO,
Interviews offered: ALL
Accepted: ALL
SCO 2025 !!!

Last edited:
Congrats! Is nova online or in person interviews this year?
Date Optomcas submitted : 7/20/2020
Date Verified : 7/30/2020
OAT Scores : 320 AA/TS
Major : Biology
GPA: 3.33
Shadowing /Experience: Observed 4 different practices. Worked as an optical lab tech for 2 summers
Schools applied: IUSO, KYCO, SCO, NECO, PCO, ICO, MCPHS,MCO, NOVA,CCO,AZCO,UIWRSO,
Interviews offered: ALL
Accepted: ALL
SCO 2025 !!!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 7/19/2020
Date verified: 7/22/2020
OAT Scores: AA: 330, TS: 350
GPA: 3.58 overall, 3.48 science
Extracurricular Activities: OD tech (2 years), pharmacy tech, shadowing, volunteering, tutoring, teaching assistant for microbiology lab, and president of pre-optometry club.
Schools applied: PUCO, UCBSO, SCCO, OSU, NECO, and SUNY.
Interviews extended/date: NECO(7/27), PUCO(8/3), SCCO(8/4), UCBSO(8/10), SUNY(8/12), OSU(9/1)
Interviews accepted/date: NECO(8/17), SCCO (9/1), PUCO(9/11), UCBSO(8/25), SUNY(9/21), OSU(10/23)
Interviews declined/date: I chose to decline interviews at SCCO, OSU, and SUNY.
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
NECO(8/28), PUCO(9/17), UCBSO(9/18).

I’ll be joining the Berkeley Class of 2025!
Hi, thank you so much for sharing you stats! I‘ve seen OD tech quite a couple times in this forum and was wondering how you went about doing that (required certifications, training, etc.). Also, if you have any advice regarding shadowing and any extra that would be great :)

Date OptomCAS submitted: 07/23/2020
Date verified: 07/27/2020
OAT Scores: 360 AA/350 TS
GPA (Overall/Science): 3.55/3.56
Extracurricular Activities: Worked at 3 optometry offices, shadowed 2 optometrists, UCLA Jules Stein Eye Institute volunteer, pre-optometry club, volunteered at free health fairs, cabinet member for 2 years in my sorority
Schools applied: UCBSO, SCCO
Interviews extended/date: SCCO (8/4), UCBSO (8/10)
Interviews accepted/date: SCCO (9/2), UCBSO (8/25)
Interviews declined/date: 0
Rejections/date: 0
Acceptance/date: SCCO (9/8), UCBSO (9/18)

Hehe I'm going to UC Berkeley!!! :3
Hi, I was wondering if you could tell me more about your experience with the UCLA Jules Stein Eye Institute? It seems really interesting and I’d love to volunteer there :)