Class rank importance? (normally I'd post this on plasticseducation)

Started by GLW102
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

GLW102

New Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'd like to ask a favor of all those already done with the match into plastics and see where I stand. I know the match, when all is said and done, is difficult and unpredictable, but was hoping you could give me an idea, especially given the 'bad' news I got yesterday morning from my dean of student affairs re: my class rank. Here's my shortened CV:

*Class Rank: 19/74 (was #19 after 2nd year, too, did'nt move, but now OUT of top quartile, thanks to our class shrinking from 76 to 74 since last year and 86 overall since 1st year; do programs take that into consideration?); obviously not AOA 🙁
*Step 1: 245, Step 2: 251
*Publications: 1 PRS accepted (first author), 1 retinal journal (undergrad), 4 abstracts (undergrad)
*Research: 2 current PRS studies at home program, 1 prior PRS (now accepted for publishing), tons of experience in undergrad, love doing research and want to be an academic plastic surgeon
*Home program: has plastics (1 spot), 2-3 very recognizable names (1 ex ASPS pres, 1 department chief who had national status), but not considered a big time institution
*Aways: 3 (Wash U, Las Vegas, and Utah)

Thanks ahead of time, your advice has been great during the past 3 years. Would appreciate any input and advice of things to emphasize or how to answer questions about, especially the class rank. I apologize that this isn't on plasticseducation.com, as that has been a life line, but I understand it's under repairs. Again, thank you so much for any help!