Class Rank vs GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Windom Earle

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which is more important?

Also, which podiatry school is viewed as the most "difficult" by program directors?

As in a 3.0 at school A is looked at more favorably than a 3.3 at School B...or a rank of 50th percentile at one school equivalent to top 25% of another school?

Members don't see this ad.

Both are important. Do the best you can.

If you meet the minimum requirements for the program you are interested in and have the opportunity to do a clerkship then you will have a month to prove to the residents and attendings that you will be a good resident. I have seen students from the top of the class that weren't a good fit while I have seen some students that met the minimum requirements for a clerkship that were much more enjoyable to work with.

Which podiatry school is more difficult? Meh. I've seen great students from all the schools. It comes down to the student. Each school will give you the tools to succeed but it's up to the student to make the most of it.

Reactions: 5 users
I've heard multiple residency directors say that when it comes down to comparing applicants they only look at class rank because GPAs can very widely from school to school. But with that said, some of the top residency programs have a minimum GPA requirement of 3.5 and class rank in the top 25% so both are certainly important.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard multiple residency directors say that when it comes down to comparing applicants they only look at class rank because GPAs can very widely from school to school. But with that said, some of the top residency programs have a minimum GPA requirement of 3.5 and class rank in the top 25% so both are certainly important.

Which ones have a 3.5 minimum?

I looked at the entire list before the highest I’ve seen is 3.25 and top 25 percent of the class. May have been different for recent years but this is for 2018.

Regardless always aim higher because even if it’s a minimum a higher gpa and rank will get you a better chance.

http://www.casprcrip.org/html/casprcrip/pdf/Directory/Dir_MinGPA_crj.pdf

Reactions: 1 users
From what I have heard that the top 10% matters maybe even the top 15% but after that, if you are around 50% they will take the best clinician. Grades are one thing but if you can't make a diagnosis then you are screwed. You can be at 50% but if you know how to evaluate and treat then you are better than the top 1% that can't do that. Through the grapevine, if you are personable and have average to above average grades plus good clinical skills the externships and letters of rec from your advisors will certainly pull you to the top. More about being a better clinician than grades. Just because you can regurgitate information doesn't mean you can apply it. Just my $.02

Reactions: 1 users
Been told by Residency directors that visited that a lower GPA from DMU or AZpod mean less than the other schools since they are merged with the DO programs. So a 3.2 from one of those schools (DMU or AZpod) will look better than a 3.4 from other schools.

Ultimately it comes down to your externships if you get into the residency. GPA and everything gets your foot in but your rotation there gets you in.