class rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hops

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering when you find out your class ranking. Does your school tell you after each quarter/semester or at the end of the year? ALso, how do they tell you your ranking?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

hops said:
I'm just wondering when you find out your class ranking. Does your school tell you after each quarter/semester or at the end of the year? ALso, how do they tell you your ranking?

thanks!

I just ask the gunners, they seem to know everyone's grade and rank... :p

It's listed on our grade report each quarter unless we ask that it be blacked out.

crazy_sherm said:
I just ask the gunners, they seem to know everyone's grade and rank... :p

It's listed on our grade report each quarter unless we ask that it be blacked out.

What about other schools? Do you guys all find out the same way?

Members don't see this ad :)
We don't have ranks by numbers only top 5%, 10%, 20%, 40% etc and we had to ask so I didn't until it mattered (3rd year). The way I saw it was that knowing my rank wasn't going to change the way I studied. I didn't want to know because if I was doing really well I might feel more pressure on myself to keep it up, or on the other hand if I was lower than I expected I might lose motivation. This way I just did my best and saw the end result when I was time to apply for a specialty.

We don't receive ours with our grade reports, but have to ask for the rank if we want it.

Also, our ranks are pretty much set in stone after the 3rd semester (midway through the D2 year), so not much changes from there on out.

There is such an overabundance of procedures in our clinic that clinical criteria certainly aren't going to move students up or down in rank, and I doubt our competency exams will either.

I believe at my school, Case Western, that they put it on our report card online at the end of each year.

We gunners used to go ask at the Dean's office at the end of every semester.

Who really gives a crap, you need to take a serious look at yourself and your commitment to care if you even care about a stupid rank. Do your best always and good things will come. Geez when are we all going to get it?
Whem asked to form a fire squad, Dentist will always form a CIRCLE!
Why? cause people like you are always looking out for yourselves and care about something as insignificant as a ranking.

One of my patients gave me a dell laptop for christmas, many others bought my son toys, You think any of them care about my ranking in class?

Grow up and Merry Christmas.

kerrydds06 said:
One of my patients gave me a dell laptop for christmas, many others bought my son toys, You think any of them care about my ranking in class?

Grow up and Merry Christmas.

Your particular patients may not care that much but residency program directors seem to...

kerrydds06 said:
Who really gives a crap, you need to take a serious look at yourself and your commitment to care if you even care about a stupid rank.
Why? cause people like you are always looking out for yourselves and care about something as insignificant as a ranking.

<GASP>. You're right! I've spent $250k on my dental education thus far, and shouldn't care whether or not I'm doing well enough to match into a post-grad program next year.

How silly of me!

kerrydds06 said:

Jesus man, Is this ethical? I can understand a fruit cake, but I think a laptop crossed the unethical line at about the 25 dollar mark..

JavadiCavity said:
I don't think it is unethical. I think its nice.

I agree! I'll find you in a couple of years to see where I can find me some of those kinds of patients!

Ankylosed said:
kerrydds06 said:

Jesus man, Is this ethical? I can understand a fruit cake, but I think a laptop crossed the unethical line at about the 25 dollar mark..
I don't think it's unethical, it's a christmas present. Besides, if this patient is loaded, the laptop may be his equivalent of $25.00 :D

DrTacoElf said:
It was probably a bargain laptop from black friday :laugh:
:laugh: :laugh: mean!

ItsGavinC said:
<GASP>. You're right! I've spent $250k on my dental education thus far, and shouldn't care whether or not I'm doing well enough to match into a post-grad program next year.

How silly of me!

I don't appreciate your sarcasm. I think you have done a lot for SDN and its good to see you on DT, but to hear this level of ignorance from you is shocking. I thought you were better than this, you're to inteligent to think so small.

I'm not doing a residency, I focused on dentistry instead of grades and the things Dental school doesn't teach you like a lot of real practice management and how to build patient relationships and trust when developing TX plans and providing care. Take a lot of CE. Yes CE in dental school. I took $3000 weekend courses for $100 with student discounts for example. Plan to run with the big dogs after dental school and you will do well. Ask anyone at UB DS4, DS3 AND DS2 who knows me, I know my stuff. There isn't a single residency or speciality that I wouldn't have a damn good shot at. Minority, experience, Veteran, Grades, LORs yadda yadda yadda.... My goal from day one has been to graduate ready to work and charge the big bucks for high quality work. I'm big on esthetics. How many people here can select shades visually and be right on? I waste a lot of school supplies (that your and mine $250k paid for) playing with the shades, opaquers and diffferent blends on study cast (cure some heliomolar flow on the casts first) (BTW great tool for getting pt acceptance for elective work in dental school (and after) and they are more confident in my abilities if they can visualize the final product). When you're struggling with the science I'm mastering the art!

You plan on doing a residency and that is your choice, your goal after dental school and so you focus on achieving that goal. This is great, and you will do well and match, I'm sure of it. My path is different, I came into dental school knowing what i want and where I wanted to be in four years and I'm right on tract.

See you on DT
Kerry

I cleared it with my clinic director and Its ok. the patient was actually a referral from another school patient who was very happy with me. Money isn't an issue to him, he is a dental phobe. He has a computer repair and design small business and wanted to show his appreciation. I also got scarfs & hats (my patients know I came from Hawaii and hate the cold), gift certificates and tons of cookies and food, He cant bake but he can build a computer. It is the thought that counts.

As for ethical, if someone spent hours, days knitting a cap for you would you refuse their gift? same thing with the laptop, I didn't want to insult him and I'm glad to have a PC after 4 years of this MAC.

Gifts are gifts... BTW I am reporting it when I file next month, dont ever mess with the IRS.

JavadiCavity said:
I don't think it is unethical. I think its nice.

Thank you ,
I didn't think this would be an issue, a gift is a gift as long as there are no "expectations" and there are none.

DrTacoElf said:
It was probably a bargain laptop from black friday :laugh:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Then I wouldn't have accepted it.