Classes at a Community College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedPoohBear

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently enrolled at a community college right now. I know how some people say this is a disadvantage for pre-medical students, but I really couldn't find a better option under certain circumstances. My question is that I've taken Biology I and II, and Inorganic Chemistry I and II at my community college. I'm currently taking Organic Chemistry I and because I do not care for the teaching methods of my instructor, I will not be taking Organic II next semester. I was wondering should I replace Organic II with Physics or Calculus next semester or should I just wait until I transfer to a senior university and take the rest of my prerequisites? Also, does college algebra and trigonometry figure into the BCPM GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't comment on the BPCM question. But as far as CC, I'd say that to a large extent it depends on what upper division courses you plan on taking. It won't matter if you take bio I and II and CC if you plan on taking a lot of upper division bio at the univesity, ad coms can look at your performance there and see that you can do well at the more rigorous level. (Personally, however, I think it's a lot of crap, as I've had many brutally difficult classes in CC, and the stereotype is largely unjustified, IMO). Furthermore, if you think you have a good chance of doing well on the MCAT, that can give you a chance to show that you can handle your science well, and they will likely ignore that your good grades come from a CC if you can do well on a nationally standardized test. I set my sights on doing well on the MCAT for this very reason.

Good luck, and power to my fellow CCers. :) :clap:

I took ALL of my pre-req's at community college because I work full-time and that was all that I could afford. I also got a 29 on the MCAT, which I hope is good enough to offset the "CC stigma". Somedays, I hate being a "non-traditional" student.

I guess I'll find out if it all works out or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
If ur a bio major then ur bio pre reqs shouldn't really matter because ur gonna be taking a lot of upper div bio classes. But you might want to take atleast 1 or 2 physics and chem classes at the university that u want to transfer to.

I took a few JC classes before I came to berkeley, and to tell u the truth they were even easier than the classes I took in High School. I think most adcomms people think that way also. I know that each JC is different, but for the most part I think JC are probably a lot easier than 4 yr universities. Even if they aren't adcomms still think they are so it doesn't really matter anyway. Just do well in ur upper div and ur MCAT and it shouldnt really matter.

They don't care, as long as you did well in the classes you took.

Several of my prerequisites were taken at a junior college, and I just got accepted to my first choice school so it must have been fine.

The big thing is to really LEARN the material so you can do well on the MCAT. Getting all A's anywhere, but doing poorly on the test, will give them reason to think that your education was sub-standard.

Yep, any course taken from the math department factors into your math/sci GPA.

As far as when to take your classes, organize them in whatever fashion will help you learn them best. If you like the learning environment there, cram in all the tough classes you can so that when you make the transition to a senior university (a somewhat stressful change) you can take it easy on your course loading.

Good luck!!

There are about 50 threads on this topic. Do a search - there are lots and lots of opinions!

I'm at a CC too...tho I'm lucky since the Chem prof I have used to teach at the main state school where most of the premeds come from so he's highly regarded by the two state med schools-they're used to seeing LORs from him. I like his teaching style too so I'm planning to take Organic with him as well. To offset this I'm going to take Bio at a main state school next summer and I'm debating on physics yet-need to see how well I do in calc first... Then of course there's the upper level bio and the MCAT to balance it...good luck to all of you! We've got to prove that CC's are just as good!

I took physics, organic, biochem, and micro all at CC. Not one interviewer asked about them. Worry not. Do as well at the university level as you do at CC and get a solid mcat score, and you'll be fine.