Classes at an easier college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katty123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all -

I am hoping to get some advice on classes. My GPA at my current school is a 3.4 which I know is a bit low to apply to medical school. I was hoping to apply not this cycle but the next one and am looking to improve this before that time. My question is how it looks to med schools if I take some of my science classes at a different university than my own? I attend a very competitive undergrad as a student athlete and I opted to take organic at a state school last year over the summer. It was the absolute easiest class I have taken in my undergraduate career.

Would it look bad to go back to the state school this summer and take 2-3 science classes there this summer? It is a 4 year state university and I was thinking about taking Genetics, microbio or ecology - all classes I have never previously taken? I was also considering taking one of the classes I struggled with at my university and attempting to do better in it at another school. Does this look bad to medical schools? I am not allowed to transfer in any more credits to my home institution so they would not be on the transcript from my home school. It is a cheaper way for me to take a few science classes and boost my science GPA and I have a much better shot of getting all As in these classes compared to my home institution.

Let me know your thoughts

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the total number of cumulative credits you have. If you already have a lot of credits, it probably won't raise your GPA much if you ace classes at your state school vs. get a lower grade at your current school. I wouldn't focus so much on the difference between the schools as much as the rest of your application--and a 3.4 GPA Is not too low for DO schools as well as some MD schools, depending on the rest of your application. Good luck.

They'll smell class shopping from a mile away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users