Classes for years 1, 2, 3 to take the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor123456789

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm going to be a freshman in university in a couple of days. And i really could use some help!

I tried talking to my Health Profession Counselor but he didn't seem too interested in me because he thought I wasn't being serious about going into med school because I'm a undeclared major right now. I told him that next quarter i'm switching into bio and that i didn't know what i was interested in when i made my application, but he thought that im not motivated. Anyway, what changed my mind was the anatomy class i took in 12th grade after the applications were in, but he didnt listen to me, now did he :rolleyes: He then told me i should take: chem, org chem, bio, molecular bio, cell bio, microbiology, biochem, physiology, anatomy, genetics, physics, calculus and nutrition to study for the MCAT. I then told him thankyou, and left on a good note so he won't treat me like crap next time.

Now I'm coming to the people that actually have taken the test/have prepared for the test, and i really need your help, so that i can plan what classes to take my first year and second year. Please help me out guys!

So right now im taking Chem, calc, and an elective or two. I'm on the quarter system, so there are 3 quarters in a school year. I'd really appreciate it if someone could make a guideline to go by to make my classes. The last day to register for classes is really really soon, and i was counting on him to help me, but he wouldnt even tell me what order to take the classes.
(I wanna knock out calc out the way first year)

I really don't know in what order to take my classes that is best for the MCAT. and im trying to take the MCAT so that i graduate undergrad in 4 years and then go to Med school. Can someone please help me (and maybe even pop in when i would take the MCAT) and give me a guide like:

Year 1
Fall
Chem
Calc

Winter
Chem
Calc
(anything else?)

Spring
Chem
Calc
(anything else?)

Year2
fall
winter
spring

Year 3
fall
winter
spring
Summer
MCAT?

I go to UC Davis if anyone has any specific help about the school.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think there's any ORDER to take the classes. You just have to make sure you LEARN the material in every class you take. No cramming (short-term memory) and more mastering the material (long-term memory).

Btw, calculus isn't necessary for the MCAT but I know med schools require you to take it for some reason. MCAT math isn't that advanced since you can't use a calculator.

I took G-Bio and G-Chem together and I didn't have much hard time. (my freshman year)

But I did have a very hard time taking o-chem and physics together tho. (sophomore year) It was probably because I had no prior exposure to both subjects while I was already good at G-chem in high school. (took AP chem) I also took anatomy my senior year and high school Bio in freshman year.

Edit: Cell/Molecular Bio, Genetics, Developmental Bio and Biochem are all upper division classes so you should take them last AFTER you do well in General Bio classes or whatever they call it.

Just my opinion. Everyone's different.

Edit: I was also quarter system.

I don't think there's any ORDER to take the classes. You just have to make sure you LEARN the material in every class you take. No cramming (short-term memory) and more mastering the material (long-term memory).

:thumbup: This.

I think the best decision i ever made when I came to college was the decision to stop memorizing and cramming (and ultimately getting Bs) and really try to master the material at the basic level so I wouldnt be confused as I progressed. It helps a lottttt. Its much easier to grasp the newer harder material in higher level courses if you've mastered the basics and dont have to review them.

The order you take your classes doesnt really matter, just get them done in your first two years so you're ready to begin studying for your MCAT in your third year. This includes gchem 1 and 2, bio 1 and 2, physics 1 and 2, orgo 1 and 2.

Whilst studying for MCAT, if you want to take any upper level courses, i suggest only taking one and it be either biochemistry or human physio. The Bio Sci section of MCAT focuses a lot on systems biology and incorporating organic chemistry into the workings of the human body. Either class would be a great help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take general bio and general chem. Also take physics I and II and orgo I and II. You can take upper level courses like physio, biochem, genetics, micro, immunology, etc if you want but its not absolutely necessary because all the concepts in those courses come from the first 4.

Thanks so much for the help guys, now i have 3 questions.

1. when you guys say for example, organic chem I & II, do you mean like two semesters of organic chem, or two years of it?

2. And so if i picked up on everything correctly;
Chem, Biology, Organic Chem, and physics
are the classes i should take before the MCAT.

3. Also as a side note, im wondering why does everyone call organic chemistry Orgo chem? Where does the second o come in from? Ex. orgo

Hey! Congratulations on your acceptance to UC Davis! I'm a current undergraduate here so if you have any specific questions let me know. I will post my schedule and then a typical schedule for most students.

Freshman year I took:
Gen Chem 2A-2C, Calc 17A-17C, Physics 7A(winter), Physics 7B(summer), Physics 7C(summer), Bis 2A(Spring)
Sophomore year I plan to take:
Fall:
O Chem
Bio 2b
Winter:
O Chem
Bio 2c
bis 101
Spring:
O Chem
NPB 101
GE/other class
Summer - study for the MCAT

What most students do is:

Freshman Year:
Gen Chem
Calc
Bis 2A(spring)
Sophomore year:
O Chem
Physics
Bio
Junior year:
upper divs (NPB 101, BIS 101, BIS 102, etc).

BTW, I highly recommend you take the MATH 21 series so you can take the physics 9 series for engineers. I cannot stress this enough. You will be so greatful if you take the 9 series, because quite frankly the 7 series doesn't teach a lot of material and many students find it pointless. Save yourself the stress of knowing that you have to self study ~30-40% + of physics for the MCAT yourself.

My freshman year I took gen chem, gen bio, and calc.

Sophomore year I took orgo, physics, and genetics.

Junior year I took neuroscience, physio, immunology, and biochem.

My first two years of college I can say barely helped with studying for the mcat...I barely remembered the gen chem and didnt even learn the physics that well (although I got A's)

By the time I started studying (the beginning of this summer) I barely remember the orgo or anything except bio.

My junior year classes helped me so much for the mcat BS section especially immunology and physio. They were the best classes I could have taken for the mcat. So I didnt worry too much about the bio. I did some hard work on the physics and gen chem though and finally got the hang of them again.

Anyway, i know someone who said histology was the best class he ever took for the mcat. So i think it depends for everyone. Just try to learn the material of the intro classes the best that you can.