Classes - How old is too old?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FreeFallin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a BS in biology from 2005, so I began my prerequisite courses beginning in 2001. So, does this automatically make ALL of my prereqs outdate (ie: more than 5 years old) and too old for dental school application?

One school that I talked to said that they would disregard that the courses are over 5 years old as long as I did well on the DAT, which I haven't taken yet. Is this the case with most schools? How strict are they about the 5-year rule? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a BS in biology from 2005, so I began my prerequisite courses beginning in 2001. So, does this automatically make ALL of my prereqs outdate (ie: more than 5 years old) and too old for dental school application?

One school that I talked to said that they would disregard that the courses are over 5 years old as long as I did well on the DAT, which I haven't taken yet. Is this the case with most schools? How strict are they about the 5-year rule? Thanks!!

I graduated from college in 2005, and I got into dental school. I think most school's are more concerned with how you perform on the DAT, which is why it generally has to be taken no more than three years before applying (at most schools). I took the DAT in 2005 and got a 20 TS. However, I decided to postpone dental school to accomplish some other things first. Being out of school for 4 years caused my science scores to drop (18 TS the second time)... but I didn't have to retake any of the classes, I just had to study for a month or so to relearn everything I had forgotten (well, some of it anyway).

Great, this is very encouraging! Seems I am in the same boat. I plan on studying for the DAT very soon and apply in June 2010. But, I also need to retake Organic II during spring 2010 (Jan-May).

So, do I study for DAT while I'm taking Organic II?

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated in 2004 and got into dental school this year. Took the DAT in 2005 and again in 2009.

I think that only time requirement is for the DAT. It doesn't matter when you did your undergraduate work, as far as I know.

Great, this is very encouraging! Seems I am in the same boat. I plan on studying for the DAT very soon and apply in June 2010. But, I also need to retake Organic II during spring 2010 (Jan-May).

So, do I study for DAT while I'm taking Organic II?

Heck yes! It can only help... and I've never heard anyone complain about over preparing for the DAT :)

Heck yes! It can only help... and I've never heard anyone complain about over preparing for the DAT :)

Sweet! Ok good. I really appreciate everyone's input and am so glad to see that folks are being accepted who have graduated around 2004 or 2005. I now just need to save up for the study materials and get to work! :cool:

Sweet! Ok good. I really appreciate everyone's input and am so glad to see that folks are being accepted who have graduated around 2004 or 2005. I now just need to save up for the study materials and get to work! :cool:

There are lots of study materials to use other than just Kaplan; you can read about them on this site. I used "TopScore" which is a DAT simulator, and there are others like CDP or DAT Destroyer... check 'em out and good luck!

Last edited:
It should not be a problem.

Last edited:
Some schools have cutoffs for prereqs... I think Loma Linda may be one, but I do not know about the others.. do some invesitgating before you apply!

Some schools have cutoffs for prereqs... I think Loma Linda may be one, but I do not know about the others.. do some invesitgating before you apply!

My Organic II class will be from Jan 2010 through May 2010, and applications begin June 2010. Should I be okay as far as Organic II being completed a month before I even apply?

FreeFallin,

What you need to do is figure out which schools you want to apply to and call them up directly and ask about their schools policy of accepting older pre-req courses. When I applied in 2005, I did not run into a single school I applied to that rejected my OLD pre-req courses. My oldest pre-req course was 14 years old when I took it in 1991. So, I really wouldn't worry, but if you are just contact the schools you are interested and they will be able to give you the correct answer for that school.

FreeFallin,

What you need to do is figure out which schools you want to apply to and call them up directly and ask about their schools policy of accepting older pre-req courses. When I applied in 2005, I did not run into a single school I applied to that rejected my OLD pre-req courses. My oldest pre-req course was 14 years old when I took it in 1991. So, I really wouldn't worry, but if you are just contact the schools you are interested and they will be able to give you the correct answer for that school.

Thanks Navy! Definitely good advice.