classes that go into sci. GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FSUMED

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have looked all over and I would appreciate if somebody would clarify what exactly goes into a science GPA? Is it just the science classes required for MCAT...i.e. organic, bio, physics, and chem. Or will my other science classes be added too, and what about math? Statistics? I took Intro to atmospheric science...is that in there? What about Anatomy, and other sciences? And how about those punk schools like mine that use a plu minues system? PLEASE CLARIFY somebody because this seems to be question on a lot fo folks minds that has not been addressed fully.

Members don't see this ad.

From What I know, AMCAS calculates 3 GPA's.

1. BCMP GPA
2. AO GPA
3. CUM GPA

BCMP = Biology, Chemistry, Math, Physics
AO = All other courses
CUM = Cummulative

If in doubt ... just ask AMCAS!

Hope that helps!

From What I know, AMCAS calculates 3 GPA's.

1. BCMP GPA
2. AO GPA
3. CUM GPA

BCMP = Biology, Chemistry, Math, Physics
AO = All other courses
CUM = Cummulative

If in doubt ... just ask AMCAS!

Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Look in to the categories for the application. It says right there on the booklet what each category of science entails.
Toran

I think UGBoI nailed the answer to this one. The science GPA you are talking about is the BCMP -- any and all classes that fall into one of those four departments (Bio, Chem, Math, Physics) whether just the basic med school requirements or upper division (including independent research projects, if your school gives you units/grades for that) are counted. Classes like CS or other engineering classes, geology, etc. would not be counted. My guess is your atmospheric science class would go into the AO (All Other) category. Anatomy would probably go into BCMP. Generally, the department the course is offered in is a good guide.

I know anatomy would go into BCMP under bio. I would look into the atmospheric class b/c it could go under physics. Stats would definitely go under math.