Classes to take before DAT!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZFlink

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have no idea exactly what classes I need to have taken before I take the DAT. As of now I have completed:

General Chemistry's
Physics
Intro to zoology (which was basically intro to bio)
Organic 1

I am thinking about switching my major from Microbiology to Zoology (my university does not offer just Biology)
I really have this summer to knock a class out and next semester (aug-dec) to get what I need in before I plan on taking the DAT in early Jan.

I can take Organic 2 this summer which would leave me room for a couple of science classes next semester.

I could take Principals of Physiology and cell Biology if i switched majors if i stay I would probably take fundamentals of Microbiology and another science class

WHAT DO YOU GUYS RECOMMEND?!?!

Members don't see this ad.

Check out the pre-req page on the websites of schools that you're interested in as far as what to take before dental school. For the DAT, all you need is chem 1 and 2, o chem 1 and 2, and bio 1 and 2. The other subjects delve deeper in the subjects so they won't necessarily help you.

I personally think taking a lot of upper level bio courses really help for bio. You can take bio 1 and 2 and do well on the test but taking those upper level courses makes the material seem that much easier and will have time to concentrate more time on other subjects on the DAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys,

I have no idea exactly what classes I need to have taken before I take the DAT. As of now I have completed:

General Chemistry's
Physics
Intro to zoology (which was basically intro to bio)
Organic 1

I am thinking about switching my major from Microbiology to Zoology (my university does not offer just Biology)
I really have this summer to knock a class out and next semester (aug-dec) to get what I need in before I plan on taking the DAT in early Jan.

I can take Organic 2 this summer which would leave me room for a couple of science classes next semester.

I could take Principals of Physiology and cell Biology if i switched majors if i stay I would probably take fundamentals of Microbiology and another science class

WHAT DO YOU GUYS RECOMMEND?!?!

Microbiology really helped me with the cellular components of the DAT. Also, biochem is the best for the DAT. Its the perfect mix of bio and chem b/c it gets the thermodynamics of gen chem, some of the reactions from orgo, and great for a review of the kreb cycle and cellular respiration.

Oh btw, you don't necessarily need physics to take the DAT.

Good luck! :)

Take General Chem 1 and 2, Organic 1 and 2, Bio 1 and 2...

Classes that significantly help with the BIO section are Microbiology and Anatomy & Physiology...Your score will definitely shoot up with these courses.

I also thought Biochemistry helped me put together Chemistry and Biology...It really opened my mind. However, it was probably the most challenging class I've taken (next to OChem).

Physics isn't really necessary for the test. I would, however, suggest taking a Statistics course (but it's really optional).

Last edited:
Thanks guys,

I know I do not need physics for the DAT but for the pre req for dental school. Here would be my final option. if I take ochem II in the summer in the fall I could take Microbiology along with either cell biology,Immunology or molecular biology. which of those, if any, would help me the most?

Thanks guys,

I know I do not need physics for the DAT but for the pre req for dental school. Here would be my final option. if I take ochem II in the summer in the fall I could take Microbiology along with either cell biology,Immunology or molecular biology. which of those, if any, would help me the most?

I haven't taken Cell Biology, but I heard it helps.

But want to caution you that an OChem II class in the summer may not be a great idea. However, if you can absorb lots of information and you have lots of time, you may succeed...but just know that it's going to be a difficult summer if you decide to take it.

Aside from the obvious general biology 1 & 2. I think classes that teach you to think critically will do you good. Physiology pops in my head right away. I'd say Physiology, Microbiology, and if you can swing it, biochemistry would be great.

Im currently taking cell biology and this class rocks!!! I would put this class in front of all the others if i were you...