Classes to take??? HELP!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Victoria

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, i'm new to this whole dental thing, so sorry if these questions will sound stupid.... anyway, I'm really confused on which classes to take that would look good when applying to dental school. For example, will a year of introductory physics satisfy the physics requirement, and should I take a semester of intro statistics, or take some higher level of it. The dental school web pg's dont really give you a clear answer.... also, if anyone could suggest extra sciences/electives, that'd help me out A LOT!! Thanx!! :)

PS: is it ok to take physics your last year of college? i mean, its not required for the DAT...... right? :eek: :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

victoria,

the general requirements for most dental schools include:
one year of biology
one year of general chemistry
one year of organic chemistry
one year of physics
half to one year of english (composition and/or literature)

the timeline for when you take them is unimportant, as these requirements must be fulfilled prior to matriculation. it is correct that physics will not be tested on the DAT. most schools recommend taking upper division biology classes, such as biochemistry, anatomy and physiology. i believe some schools also recommend some math, and ucla was the only school that had a 4 credit psychology requirement.

good luck!

I believe Reena is right on about her advice, and as for which classes look good to the admissions committee, it doesnt matter which classes you take as long as you do well in them. So I would recommend taking classes in things you are interested in and feel you can do well in.