SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Classes to take in UnderGrad

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Mwz1024, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Mwz1024

Mwz1024 Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 6, 2002
    I should be posting this question in the Pre-Alopathic section but which order of science classes should I be taking during my undergrad years??? Should I take Org-Chem my sophomore year?????I would truly appreciate it if someone told me their science schedule.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Optimistic

Optimistic Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Oct 16, 2001
    If you are trying to take sciences to be pre med, most med school require
    one year of math
    one year of english
    Oneyear of gen bio with lab
    one year gen chm with lab
    one year organic with lab
    This is the minimum you need to do well on mcat and to apply to medical school. Also if you are done with gen chm you can take organic any time you want. I dont think there is any particular schedule you need to follow. you just take these classes and then go for it.Most school also require Bachelors degree :)
  4. Epi

Epi Fuzzy Tiger 7+ Year Member

Jul 28, 2001
    Calvin's house
    Dont forget!
    1 year of physics also.
  5. otter

otter Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Asides from the aforementioned requisites (which are absolutely required for almost all med schools), I would take some or all of the following if you have any space in your curriculum. I list those in what I think is the order of importance. But people may disgree.

1. Molecular Cell Bio
    2. Biochem
    3. Genetics
    4. Physiology

I definitely recommend that you take molecular cell bio as this stuff really helps with your MCAT bio section. Also, biochem seems to be a prerequisite at many med schools (UW and USC come to mind). Genetics and physiology come up on the MCAT also, but I think the extent of knowledge required in those areas for the MCAT is much more basic than for MCB.
  6. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen 10+ Year Member

Feb 3, 2002
    i think Umich requires a biochem class. also Hopkins requires 22 credits of humanities. i also saw some schools with a behavioral science requirement (i.e. psych).
  7. Optimistic

Optimistic Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Oct 16, 2001
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Epogen:
    <strong>Dont forget!
    1 year of physics also.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thats right physics too.I thought I was missing something. I guess I just like to block physics out. Sorry about that.
  8. Mary the Med Student

Mary the Med Student Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 2, 2001
    Boston, MA
    I say: take the reuqirements and then take something that you really like. Don't make your undergrad studies dependent on med school. Med school will teach you what you need to know. College teachs you who and what you are, and lets you fill your brain with interesting, useless and fun crap. I was an American History major, so I should know.

I had a second major in chemistry, but that was because I thought organic chemistry was the bomb, too.