Classes to take in UnderGrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mwz1024

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I should be posting this question in the Pre-Alopathic section but which order of science classes should I be taking during my undergrad years??? Should I take Org-Chem my sophomore year?????I would truly appreciate it if someone told me their science schedule.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are trying to take sciences to be pre med, most med school require
one year of math
one year of english
Oneyear of gen bio with lab
one year gen chm with lab
one year organic with lab
This is the minimum you need to do well on mcat and to apply to medical school. Also if you are done with gen chm you can take organic any time you want. I dont think there is any particular schedule you need to follow. you just take these classes and then go for it.Most school also require Bachelors degree :)

Dont forget!
1 year of physics also.

Members don't see this ad :)
Asides from the aforementioned requisites (which are absolutely required for almost all med schools), I would take some or all of the following if you have any space in your curriculum. I list those in what I think is the order of importance. But people may disgree.

1. Molecular Cell Bio
2. Biochem
3. Genetics
4. Physiology

I definitely recommend that you take molecular cell bio as this stuff really helps with your MCAT bio section. Also, biochem seems to be a prerequisite at many med schools (UW and USC come to mind). Genetics and physiology come up on the MCAT also, but I think the extent of knowledge required in those areas for the MCAT is much more basic than for MCB.

i think Umich requires a biochem class. also Hopkins requires 22 credits of humanities. i also saw some schools with a behavioral science requirement (i.e. psych).

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Epogen:
•Dont forget!
1 year of physics also.•••••Thats right physics too.I thought I was missing something. I guess I just like to block physics out. Sorry about that.

I say: take the reuqirements and then take something that you really like. Don't make your undergrad studies dependent on med school. Med school will teach you what you need to know. College teachs you who and what you are, and lets you fill your brain with interesting, useless and fun crap. I was an American History major, so I should know.

I had a second major in chemistry, but that was because I thought organic chemistry was the bomb, too.

-Mary