Classes to take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tskbdmnd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going on my route through a chemical engineering premed option degree. I'd like to get my course plan behind me and my adviser helps more with extracurricular and bureaucratic things while providing a pretty strict course plan, but because I'm a little bit ahead, I have a few options and I thought I'd ask sdn. If you can help, that'd be cool; if not don't sweat it.

Options for the first decision:

1. I could take biochem and a biochem lab instead of ochem 2 and ochem 2 lab. This is appealing to me because I would have all the subjects for the MCAT except for ochem 2 done before my junior year leaving a lot of time to study. It would also put me at the normal 13 hours for my first semester of professional school, which I plan to take very seriously.
2. Otherwise I would have to take biochem without the lab in my first semester junior year . It would be a more in depth theory course in this case though. This would put me at 16 hours my first semester junior year 3 more than the normal. I would have ochem 2 taught to me as a course this way though.

Options for the second decision:

1. I could shorten second semester junior year from 17 hours to 11 by making my senior year have 16 hours in both semesters.
2. I could take 17 hours my second semester junior year and 2 extra humanity or English courses in my senior year to diversify my course load, leaving me at 16 hours both semesters of my senior year.
3. I could take 17 hours my second semester junior year, and 13 hours in both of my senior years.
4. I could tack on the words biomed and biochem to my degree title, probably next to pre-med. I don't know how it works. This requires hours of 17 16 16.

Taking a lower amount of hours is appealing to me because I'm a bit worried about how difficult it might be to learn to be a chemical engineer. Not only could it hurt my GPA if I couldn't handle it, I don't think I'd learn much in the courses I take if I'm struggling to get by. But maybe I need to challenge myself now if I plan to be a doctor. I also might be overestimating the difficulty of chemical engineering but I feel like I need to be careful.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going on my route through a chemical engineering premed option degree. I'd like to get my course plan behind me and my adviser helps more with extracurricular and bureaucratic things while providing a pretty strict course plan, but because I'm a little bit ahead, I have a few options and I thought I'd ask sdn. If you can help, that'd be cool; if not don't sweat it.

Options for the first decision:

1. I could take biochem and a biochem lab instead of ochem 2 and ochem 2 lab. This is appealing to me because I would have all the subjects for the MCAT except for ochem 2 done before my junior year leaving a lot of time to study. It would also put me at the normal 13 hours for my first semester of professional school, which I plan to take very seriously.
2. Otherwise I would have to take biochem without the lab in my first semester junior year . It would be a more in depth theory course in this case though. This would put me at 16 hours my first semester junior year 3 more than the normal. I would have ochem 2 taught to me as a course this way though.

Options for the second decision:

1. I could shorten second semester junior year from 17 hours to 11 by making my senior year have 16 hours in both semesters.
2. I could take 17 hours my second semester junior year and 2 extra humanity or English courses in my senior year to diversify my course load, leaving me at 16 hours both semesters of my senior year.
3. I could take 17 hours my second semester junior year, and 13 hours in both of my senior years.
4. I could tack on the words biomed and biochem to my degree title, probably next to pre-med. I don't know how it works. This requires hours of 17 16 16.

Taking a lower amount of hours is appealing to me because I'm a bit worried about how difficult it might be to learn to be a chemical engineer. Not only could it hurt my GPA if I couldn't handle it, I don't think I'd learn much in the courses I take if I'm struggling to get by. But maybe I need to challenge myself now if I plan to be a doctor. I also might be overestimating the difficulty of chemical engineering but I feel like I need to be careful.

I was a ChemE/biochem during UG so I'll say a few things.

I would definitely say take the biochem lab if you have the chance. You also want to make sure you're not taking too much during your last semester as a senior since you'll most likely be very busy with your capstone project. Are you planning on taking your MCAT after your junior yr or after your graduate?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking after my junior year.

In that case, you'll have to plan your time carefully so that you can adequately prepare for the MCAT since it's going to be a balancing act getting your studying finished, taking the MCAT, and prepping your applications during & after your junior year

Taking a lower amount of hours is appealing to me because I'm a bit worried about how difficult it might be to learn to be a chemical engineer. Not only could it hurt my GPA if I couldn't handle it, I don't think I'd learn much in the courses I take if I'm struggling to get by.

If you're concerned about the difficulty of your courses as a chemical engineering student (to the extent of it harming your GPA), I would consider a different major. Are you passionate about chemical engineering? I'm not saying this is the case, but you don't have to major in a subject that you feel will impress admission committees. You should pick a major that will allow you to maintain a strong GPA in science and non-science coursework.

But maybe I need to challenge myself now if I plan to be a doctor.

Challenging yourself doesn't mean taking on a courseload that you don't think you can handle. If you plan to work hard and do well, then by all means, you should go with what feels best. Just remember that many students bite off more than they can chew and it can be difficult to recover from such a decision.

Also remember that you'll be working in EC's, shadowing, etc. while taking classes.

Best of luck with whatever you choose! :)

If you're concerned about the difficulty of your courses as a chemical engineering student (to the extent of it harming your GPA), I would consider a different major. Are you passionate about chemical engineering? I'm not saying this is the case, but you don't have to major in a subject that you feel will impress admission committees. You should pick a major that will allow you to maintain a strong GPA in science and non-science coursework.

Challenging yourself doesn't mean taking on a courseload that you don't think you can handle. If you plan to work hard and do well, then by all means, you should go with what feels best. Just remember that many students bite off more than they can chew and it can be difficult to recover from such a decision.

Also remember that you'll be working in EC's, shadowing, etc. while taking classes.

Best of luck with whatever you choose! :)
Thanks. And no worries chemical engineering is something I want to learn, which is why I'm trying to be prudent about the course load I'm taking along with it. I'm trying to weigh the value of an easier time becoming a better chemical engineer, and the effects it might have on my chances as an applicant. Would they think I was dodging to protect my GPA? I'm up for the challenge; I just don't think that it'd be very wise of me.

Sorry, I'm confused. What do you think they'll consider "dodging"?
Would an hour load of 14 18 | 16 17 | 13 17 | 13 13 make it look like I'm protecting my gpa by not taking any nonessential classes? My concern is that 13 hours seems a little low for 3 semesters in my junior & senior years. I'm wondering if that would be a problem.

Would an hour load of 14 18 | 16 17 | 13 17 | 13 13 make it look like I'm protecting my gpa by not taking any nonessential classes? My concern is that 13 hours seems a little low for 3 semesters in my junior & senior years. I'm wondering if that would be a problem.

You have at least four 16+ credit semesters, roughly the average amount for a full-time student. I highly doubt they'll see this as "dodging" if those credits come from difficult classes. Still, are you only taking pre-reqs? If you're going to graduate in four years anyway, why not take an extra course or two for fun or as a GPA booster? It's not going to raise any big flags if you keep a good GPA.

Also, are you planning on working, volunteering, etc. during those lower-credit semesters? If you can show that you were heavily involved in other things at the time, I doubt you'll have a problem. Students lessen credit loads for such reasons all the time. Either way, you have to show that you can handle the courseload you're taking.

Nice, thanks a lot. And yeah It's something I'll keep thinking more about then. Thanks for the opinions I'll keep everything in mind as I go a long.

But I'd like some confirmation. Is replacing the second sem of ochem and the ochem lab with biochem/biochem lab okay?
If it is okay to drop the ochem stuff, I can actually do some really cool things and get a senior level biochem molecular biology course under my belt before the MCAT and a graduate level course on biochem lab techniques during my first semester senior year, and I'd get the words biochem and biomed on my degree. This would probably be the only option I'd really take to flesh out my hour loads. I think it'd be pretty fun.

I'm sure I'll have better insight by the time I get there though, and I might just go ahead and take some fun classes tbh. I also thought about taking botany courses. Any chance I could be a doctor who grows and refines his own medicines? :D I'll travel around the world healing people with my refined herbs.